The Palmettos of Charleston - Charleston, SC

as good as any, I suppose...

They're about as good as anywhere....We get Mom's meds to them...but we are constantly having to deal with keeping up with them. Even though one specific person is supposed to check weekly and call us to let us know what she's getting low on, that person rarely, if ever calls. Then we get called by everyone else sometimes several times a day, saying what she is out of or nearly out of. My sister spends many hours running back and forth from home, to the drug stores, and back to the facility. Also, the one med we let them provide, which was a blood thinner, they let her run out....she went without one day, they supposedly ordered it, they found one for her to take the next day (where did THAT one come from????) , then she went 2 more days without it....because it didn't get ordered....We also know that they sign off on having given her meds or used lotions when we know they haven't. The "nurse", Joyce, believes that if they sign the paper, then it was done. She apparently doesn't understand that you can falsely sign the paper. Another issue we have had trouble with is that you are "welcome to eat with your resident any time", but after a year and a half it has become an issue for me to eat with my Mom and her friends...I'm supposed to sit at a different table (and am given a different "reason" each time...sometimes I'm told I have to wait an hour to be sure there's enough food...or I can have an alternate, which ends up not being what they told me it was, or they have to "check the kitchen" to be sure there's enough for me...other times it's "too crowded", even though half the tables are empty or it's a DHEC rule....) we pay for it...and I'm not there for the food (honestly, it's not that great most of the time)...I'm there to be with my Mom and her friends....but suddenly now, there can't be more than 4 people at a table....I can't eat standing up....but I can stand there and talk to them during the meal...This rule apparently only applies to me because while I am being prevented from sharing a meal with my mom & her friends, I see other tables where people are eating with their resident and there are 5 people at a table and no one says anything to them. I'm taking this very personally, and don't know why it's an issue for me and not anyone else. I always try to be helpful and polite to everyone when I am there. The activities staff, receptionists, maintenance, bus drivers, some of the kitchen/wait staff, half of the care givers are awesome. Some of the caregivers are good with the care, but are very reluctant to do it and have an attitude when asked to provide assistance (Zahara)...even though this is supposed to be ASSISTED LIVING. Some are awesome and go above and beyond....We are very thankful for these. Grayce, the activities person, is FANTASTIC! Liz and Kaliyah, med-techs are beyond amazing. The "nurse" leaves much to be desired (Mom was sent to the hospital with chest pains, and the nurse did not dial 911, but called transport which took an hour...because her pains weren't in her upper chest....they were lower...but even I - with no medical training - know that ANY pain above the waist in a female (esp. one with high blood pressure and who is 87 years old) can be a heart attack - thank God, it was just a cracked rib from a fall the previous week), and while Megan, the administrator is always open to talking with you and hearing your concerns, and is very nice and likable, l feel as though our words fall on deaf ears. In the past month, her needs have increased due to dementia. One of the caregivers, Zahara, thinks Mom is faking, so even though she helps her sometimes, she has a bad attitude about it and apparently tells Mom how busy she is because Mom is always telling us about poor overworked Zahara....Even after being told that Mom has been diagnosed by her doctor with dementia, Zahara still doesn't believe it and thinks Mom is faking. Some of the others (Liz, Khalia, Darnice, Josh, Brandy, Shannon and a few others) are really good with Mom and watch out for her. Some of the weekend/night shift folks (and I don't know their names because I don't have much interaction with them) are not as attentive and gather up with other workers in the lobby or upstairs or at times, even outside in cars (with men) instead of staying on their halls, checking on the patients. And talking to Megan really doesn't do anything but maybe get a general talking to the whole staff at a meeting. It's very frustrating and upsetting that we can't see any improvement. In fact, seems the more we talk to Megan, the worse Mom gets treated. On top of this, prices are constantly going up. By now, I'm sure you're saying that if we are so dissatisfied, we should move Mom to another facility. Problem is, not only are all her friends at this one, the other facilities are not any better. [Other facilities, removed] but unfortunately, They are all about the same. So make sure that when you put your loved one in someone else's care that you have no other alternative. Sadly, none are that great, and you have to keep a constant check on your loved one.

The Palmettos of Charleston is one of the more than 130 affiliated HealthCare centers of National HealthCare Corporation, NHC. In 10 states, NHC's family of centers delivers exceptional care and services in locations that are close to family and in line with our longtime commitment to provide a continuum of care to those who need our services.