A great place for a loved one suffering from dementia

My mother was a resident at Olivenhain Guest Home for over three years. The staff was friendly and caring, and some of them formed strong bonds with my mother. The facility offers lots of activities-I rarely saw residents alone in their rooms. The owners were very gracious to accommodate my mother's many needs, which increased over time. The facility is clean and has a large, beautiful courtyard. I highly recommend this facility!

Great follow up from the staff

The staff here was lovely and did a good job of following up with me after I took a tour. The place was extremely clean. The people that gave me the tour were able to answer all of my questions and seemed knowledgeable about the type of care my loved one would need. The price seemed reasonable as well. While it might not have fit our specific needs, it might be the perfect place for someone else.

Well Managed Home

I am so thankful that a friend recommended this place for my mom. I had some terrible experiences in finding the best location that would be able to provide the right type of care that my mother needed.I feel very secure in placing my mother here knowing she is getting the right sort of care , This community has the best run staff I have ever seen from the administration down to the regular staff. They are very nice and accommodating and gentle. The food is good. The community has always been clean and well maintained.

The experience did not live up to reviews

My 90 year old parents lived at Olivenhain Guest Home for a year and a half. Both had advanced dementia. My mother was frail and weak and was eventually put on hospice care. During that six month period the OGH caregivers were attentive and compassionate, although she fell 6 times during this period. One of the falls resulted in multiple bruises, a broken nose and pelvis. At which point hospice began to suspect neglect. My mom passed away, mercifully, in [Removed].

My father required less hands-on care. He did get a rash in early [Removed], and co-owner [Removed] took him to the dermatologist. In subsequent weeks the rash got worse but I was not kept up to date on how MUCH worse it got. He was bathed at least every other day, so the caregivers would have noticed. On [Removed], 3 months after the rash appeared, the dermatologist, on examination, discovered the rash had spread over his entire body, later to be diagnosed as scabies. Scabies is highly contagious, very difficult to cure, and is extremely uncomfortable. It is unfathomable to me why OGH did not bring this to my attention.

During [Removed] there were several different people in the RN position. I found communication with the RNs, the med techs and myself to be inconsistent. I felt the need to be proactive in making sure doctors orders were followed. Compression stockings were prescribed to help the swelling in my dad’s legs, but were never applied. I would ask about this and not receive answers.

In regards to the administrators in this facility, I found [Removed] to be honest and capable. Trudy seems to really care about the residents. As for the co-owners [Removed] and ex-wife [Removed], you’ll have to form your own opinions.

A good tour!

When I toured this community I thought it was too far. Also, it was more of an acute care place. Other than that, the staff was friendly and the place was nice, but it was not a good fit for my mother.

Although my mom has been there only a month I already see improvement in her general well -being. She is participating in activities and is well cared for.

overall good experience

happy with everything at the facility overall no complaints . The only one is lack of communication between staff and residents families .

loaded with staff members

They have been real really good at Olivenhain Guest Home. If I have ever had any issues they have been quick to resolve them. One thing I like at this facility is that they are loaded with staff members. They have a lot per resident and I really appreciate that. It has been a really good experience here.

We are delighted with Olivenhain Gues...

We are delighted with Olivenhain Guest House.

So far so good

I think they’re doing well so far. The food seems to be alright, but I haven’t eaten there. It seems to be a very clean community and the staff is very friendly. So far we’re satisfied with the experience my loved one is having.

Each individual has their own life story. Memory Loss , Alzheimer's and dementia do not change one’s needs for love, respect and dignity. Providing for these basic needs on a constant basis can be an overwhelming task for family members as a loved one’s memory fails. At Olivenhain Guest Home we strive to support our dementia and memory loss residents and their family members with the love and respect they need and deserve. We welcome you to our family oriented home. Residents are thoroughly assessed and family members interviewed so that we can know your loved one’s preferences, habits and activities of choice. Wonderful home cooked meals are prepared with attention to special dietary needs. The spacious secured perimeter grounds and gardens offer a retreat-like atmosphere. All resident rooms are on the first floor with easy access to camera and staff monitored patio Give our compassionate and dementia trained staff the opportunity to serve your loved one’s needs. You will find the peace of mind you seek in your decision to join us.