North Shore Place - Northbrook, IL

Hard to transition but doing better

My mother in law is still in the phase of transitioning from her home to this place but then again no matter where we had placed her she would have had a hard time. . She is doing much better thanks to the staff of being empathetic and patient. In fact we went back several times to them before placing her to ease everyones mind that this was going to be the right fit and every time we went back they always welcomed us never made us feel that we were bothersome to them My mother in law is slowly coming around to the food she is slowly starting to eat but I have eaten there a few times and the food is really good.
I think once she gets more settled in she might like to participate in the activities they offer.
Over all I am very pleased with this location my mom had been in one of their sister communities and she really liked it there as well so I honestly expect the same once she settles in.

SLC Midwest

Thank you very much for sharing your confidence in us! We appreciate your feedback and we're delighted to hear that your mother in law is adjusting well to her new home here with us. Our goal is to provide the best possible experience for our residents and families, so please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any questions or concerns!

Nice Tour of this Facility

We toured this community for my in laws, and their needs. The tour went well, and everyone was friendly. The community looked nice, and from what we saw everything appeared to be well maintained. Our tour was a good one, but unfortunately my in laws was not ready to make the move yet.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of North Shore Place! We appreciate your feedback and we're delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us!

Our choice was a good one.

Our mother (88 y.o., w/moderate dementia, moved to North Shore Place only a month ago, after living independently in her condo for 12 years. However, based only upon this short time, my 2 brothers and I are confident that our choice of NSP was a good one. When a vulnerable loved one lives far from family members, it's critical that one can trust an assisted living facility to have the best interests of residents in mind, since personal observation and monitoring is impossible. While we knew that our mother valued her privacy and autonomy, we increasingly worried about her ability to live safely on her own - she no longer drove, compliance with medication regimens and appropriate nutrition was deteriorating, and, most importantly, self-awareness of her condition and need to recognize when she needed help was rapidly vanishing.
Now that she lives at NSP, we know that she receives her medication as ordered, enjoys (really! not just consumes) 3 meals a day in a dining room that resembles a pleasant restaurant, is surrounded by universally-friendly nursing assistants and other staff, and spends most of her free time in a comfortable, one-bedroom apartment that we have decorated with family photographs and other personal items. Activities are readily available, although Mom usually does not participate, while acknowledging that she might "at some time".
Maintaining her important relationships with friends and synagogue were of primary importance to us when choosing a facility, and NSP is literally minutes from her previous home and primary shopping area. When we visit, a Marriott hotel is across the street (altho NSP also has a guest room). A car and driver is usually available on a first-come, first-served basis; however, to date, transportation has been provided by ourselves when visiting or friends.
More than anything, however, is the positive and welcoming attitude of the staff. Everyone knew Mom's name within days of her arrival. When we are away, she is seated with other residents so that she can feel a part of the community; if she isn't in her apartment when medications are due, the CNA will come looking for her; her forgetfulness is recognized and accommodated. While Mom acknowledges that, while she wishes that her condition did not required she leave her independent life-style, she is glad to be in a place such as North Short Place, and so are we.

SLC Midwest

Thank you very much for your review; we appreciate your confidence in us and we're so pleased that your mom is enjoying her home with us! Our goal is to provide the best possible experience for our residents and families, and your input helps us achieve that goal.

Loved One is Well at This Community

My sister in law is doing well since her move to this community. We do feel comfortable with her move here. She is safe, and in a good facility. Everything is working out well, and this is a good community.

SLC Midwest

Thank you so much for your review; we appreciate your confidence in us! We are glad your sister in law is enjoying her new home and hope that if you have any questions or concerns you'll reach out to our Executive Director. Our goal is to provide a 5 star experience and your input helps us meet that goal.

A nice facility with very friendly staff.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for your review; we appreciate your feedback!

Brand Promises are Unmet

What you are told during the sales process is not what we've experienced. The care is woefully insufficient given the needs of the residents, so much so we have hired additional help, driving up the monthly cost from $9,500 to more than $16k per month. My wife worries constantly about the care her mother is receiving. Who is responsible to ensure North Shore lives up to its promises?

SLC Midwest

We appreciate your feedback, as we are always seeking to improve our services and provide five-star care for your residents. We practice an open door policy here, and would appreciate the opportunity to continue to work with you to find the best solution. Please feel free to reach out to me directly via our community phone number, or in person at North Shore Place. I look forward to connecting with you, thank you for your time. Steven Salaman, Executive Director.

Great quality of care from the staff!!

I am very pleased with the care this community has been providing my loved one. They have made sure to give them both great quality of care and are attentive to there needs. The residents also have been great at welcoming them and including them in there activities and events they have going on throughout the week. Overall no complaints and I am very excited to see what the future holds for them at this facility.

The Care Seems Better

My dad is doing great with the independent care. His room and the great areas are much clean than his prior community. The staff are more to themselves, but they are warming up to my dad. The food is fine, he eats it all his food. There is music everyday at 3 pm, which is great and he enjoys it. He is further along with his condition so he is not too involved with the activities. He has a personal companionship that see him daily. I like that the woman on the memory floor has more follow through.

gorgeous!

Informative Tour Guide!!

The tour guide was very nice. He gave me a proper tour of the whole community. My questions were answered and i got a lot of information about the community. Meals are provided as well as some activities. The staff met along the way was attentive and friendly. I would recommend a tour of the community to families.

It's Going Good Here

I have no concerns about how clean this community is. It is well kept with no lingering odors. My mom is in memory care and she gets live and musical entertainment 5 days a week. The food is excellent and mom likes it too. The staff are likable and I have no issues with the care provided. I would recommend this community if services were needed.

Beware - Poorly Managed

We moved our relative to North Shore Place Memory Care in early 2015. We continue to be disappointed and underwhelmed for the following reasons: 1. Insufficient staff in the facility 2. Residents roam the halls and there are not enough caregivers 3. Caregivers who are working are overworked 4. Residents wander into other residents rooms 5. The Management is not responsive to complaints.

The physical facility is quite nice - however, it is poorly managed. Be careful and do your homework.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We were sorry to learn of your concerns; providing exceptional care for our our residents is our top priority, and we were disappointed to learn you did not feel you had a five-star experience. We practice an open door policy, and would appreciate the opportunity to learn more about your experience. If you have any additional feedback or concerns, please reach out to our Executive Director, Steven, at [removed]. Thank you again for your time.

Beautiful Building, Staffing Lacking

We pay $10,000 per month to have our relative here and while the facility is new the food is monotonous and quality care is lacking. Residents often roam the halls unsupervised and get into each others rooms. While the supervisors say they meet state staffing requirements, we expected better care and attention. It was gotten to the point where we bring in our own paid people to care for our relative, adding more than 50% to the cost of this already expensive facility. In short, it is not living up to its own standards or our expectations.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. I am so sorry to hear about your concerns. As an Executive Director of the community, I strive to improve the experience of our residents and their families. During our meeting last week, our Director of Dining Services, Legacy Court/ Memory Care Director, and I were pleased to share with you that as more residents join North Shore Place family, we are increasing clinical staffing on each shift. In addition, we are hiring another activity assistant dedicated to Memory Care. During our conversation, the Director of Dining services was happy to take individual food requests. He is always available to review each resident's preferences. Please do not hesitate to e-mail him completed weekly menus and add other requests. Our dedicated team is always here for you. Please feel free to contact me directly to review any of your questions and see how we can assist you in having the best experience at our community. You can reach me at [removed], Regina Umanskiy

Caring For My Wife Very Well

Everything is going pretty well for my wife at this community. It is a very nice looking community, everything looks great. The staff is really good, they are very helpful and kind. They do offer nice activities for the residents. The food is okay, and I would like for the staff to help her more when she is eating. They are caring for my wife very well.

SLC Midwest

We are very glad to hear that you are having a good experience at our community. North Shore Place team is dedicated to delivering best-in-class service and care to our residents. Please feel free to contact me directly to review your questions and see how we can assist you and your wife in having the best experience at our community. You can reach me at [removed], Regina Umanskiy, Executive Director.

Inconsistent & poor management

Beware! This was great when we first moved in a year ago.

However, there is so much inconsistency in the nursing staff. They are definitely understaffed.

Current "management" has decided to change nurses on shifts constantly. You don't have the same nurse.

And, when you call to speak with a nurse, they are always "not available."

Nurses are NOT passing on critical information on a resident when they should.

I have become seriously concerned about their changes in "management" of nurses and other areas.

They do NOT clean your room as thorough as they should.

Keep a watchful eye on your monthly bill. Additional charges will be added without any reasonable explanation to hike up your cost. Explanations range from "oh maybe that charge belongs to another resident; the billing coordinator is out of the country for 3 weeks".

I would definitely do extensive research on other facilities. Beware!

SLC Midwest

Thank you for recognizing positive experience our community provided over time. I am so sorry to hear about your concerns. As the Executive Director of the community, I strive to improve the experience of our residents and their families. As we reviewed on the phone and confirmed with various team members, our ultimate goal is deliver exceptional service to you and your loved one. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your concerns and see how we can assist you in having the best experience at our community. You can reach me at [removed], Regina Umanskiy, Executive Director.

The place is great. I think they are doing a great job there. The facility is nice. The staff is friendly. The food is good and it is just a great place.

Warm and friendly

Warm and friendly!
Beautifully clean building.

Nice

It's a nice place

All-in-All A Great Place

It is a beautiful new facility. We were out of state and the staff was extremely accommodating in assisting with the move. They also gave a discounted rate for all levels of service, which was competitive with other older facilities in the area. All-in-all, a great place with a great value and great prospect for the future.

They have done a nice job trying to acclimate my mom. I feel that she is really coming around and all the people are really friendly. She has to wear a Responder and sometimes it takes them a little too long to respond. I'm not sure if they could have fixed this, but that would be only negative.

SLC Midwest

We are so glad to hear that your mom is acclimating well and you feel that people are very friendly at our community. I am so sorry to hear about your concern. As the Executive Director of the community, I strive to improve the experience of our residents and their families. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your concerns and see how we can assist you in having the best experience at our community. You can reach me at [removed].
Regina Umanskiy, Executive Director

Needs Much Improvement - Disappointed

We moved our parent into the memory unit on the second floor. The rooms are a nice size and well appointed. The reality is that the facility is grossly understaffed. Patient needs are not promptly met. Memory floor not as clean as it should be. Concerned about my parent's well being and seriously considering moving out. If going to NSP, ask a lot of questions and be careful.

Dear North Shore Place Family,

I am deeply sorry that you have been disappointed with your parent’s move to our legacy court neighborhood.
Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that I may address your specific concerns.
Thank you for your comments and for trusting us with your family.
Sincerely,

Jane Woloson
Executive Director
[removed] direct

They are doing a good job.

They are doing a good job. It's a new facility, so there some kinks to work out, and a little organizing to figure out. Overall they are doing a good job, my loved ones like it here. Everyone is really friendly, and we are happy with it.

Dear North Shore Place Friend,

Thank you for your kind words and for complimenting us on the nice job we are doing. I’d like to address anything you feel needs to be worked out.
I appreciate your time and look forward to communicating with you.
Please feel free to reach me at [removed] or [removed]

We thought this facility was spectacular. First class in every way. The services seem quite comprehensive. We are quite interested.

impressed

So far I have been very impressed with North Shore Place. It is very expensive, as I know most places like this are, but they take excellent care of their residents, are very friendly, and the facility is very nice and clean.

Not yet open. Opening in A...

Not yet open. Opening in August.