Life Care Ctr-Colorado Springs - Colorado Springs, CO

Gratitude for Life Care Center of Colorado Springs

My Mom has been at Life Care Center for over two years. Overall she has been very happy there. She loves the activities playing Bingo, Cards, the Auction, and special monthly and seasonal activities. The hardest part is sharing a small room and having just one bathroom.
Life Care Center would be ideal and 5 Star for us if the residents were able to have their own rooms. Mom is well taken care of and loves the nurses and CNA’s that care for her. She is fortunate to have her cognitive ability and to be able to let them know what she needs. She was a caretaker for many years and she appreciates and expresses her gratitude to the many that are now caring for her.
We want to give a special mention about [Name removed] who has provided transportation for Mom and many others to and from doctor appointments, Walmart, special fun events like seeing Christmas Lights and going to the park for lunch. [Name removed] is just an all in all great guy who we respect, appreciate and thank for all the service he has provided for Mom and the other residents. I have met Mom at some of her doctors visits and I love it when Nathan is the person who transports Mom; he is patient, down to earth and confident in his ability to drive and take care of special needs people. We just want Life Care Center and [Name removed] to know that we have truly appreciated him and thank him so much for all he has done!
Sincerely,
[Name removed]

Jeff the CNA/Nursing Assistant is Mean and Aggressive

This reply is directed toward the Life Care Center in Colorado Springs. [Name removed], the CNA/Nursing Assistant is abusive towards the residents family members and visitors. Seven years ago my Mom and I were enjoying a quiet lunch in the library and I took out a small brush and was brushing my Mom's hair when he stormed in and stood about 5 inches from me "definitely in my space" and informed me that he would call the guards to kick me out if I didn't move to the grooming room. My Mom is in a wheel chair and was enjoying her lunch that I had brought in to her and he expected us to drop everything and move on his command. This is just one instance and I have also witnessed that he would not allow my Mom to use the bathroom in the dining room and yelled at her that she would have to wait until after she had eaten her lunch because the bathroom in the dining room is only for staff. This is definitely bullying and he should not be allowed to get away with this and I really am afraid of him because I do not want him to take this out on my Mom because I am calling him out on his mean and aggressive behavior. I hope that the directors will real this review and do something about him in the near future.

Why no heat???

My other half is currently staying at this place. The weather has turned cold at night, and they do not have the heat on! He has complained, but nothing is done. He asked if he could have a small space heater (which I would buy and bring in), and they said no! I brought him a heating pad, and last night he was a little better with that but was still cold. He has ordered a larger heating pad which I will rush over as soon as it arrives here at our house where it is being shipped to. He is uncomfortably cold, and I've taken him fleece pants and various warm jackets which he has been piling on. This is an awful thing to do to an elderly man with Congestive Heart Failure who just went through the added strain of foot surgery. I'm very worried about him. This place is better than the last place he stayed at in many ways, but this no-heat thing is nuts. The cold is keeping him from sleeping well along with having his sleep interrupted constantly by staff and noise. This lack of sleep is hampering his healing.

Not impressed

Not a caring well trained staff. Doctor care and follow up lacking. If your loved one needs any extra care this is not the right place.

Not impressed

Poor service from the kitchen, administration and nursing staff

We have been very disappointed with Life Care Center on three major points.

One, my mother is on a Vegetarian diet to lower her blood pressure and improve elimination. I specified this to the dietary department on the first day and they wrote a meal tag for her. Nevertheless, at nearly EVERY meal, she was offered beef, pork or poultry. I spoke with the CNA each time, and then they recognized the mistake. I spoke with the cooks and the nurses and the head of the kitchen... but still, my mother was being offered sausages and chicken breasts on a daily basis. The team was simply incapable of following dietary instructions regardless of how frequently I raised this issue.

To make matters ever more frustrating, the "residents' advocate" came to "have a talk with me." In a very aggressive manner, this woman told me that if my mother requests some kind of food, they are obligated to give it to her. Important point here is that my mother is unable to choose her own meals, let alone choose meals that are healthy for her. So, in the name of "resident's rights," this employee is overriding our specific dietary guidelines to nourish my mother in a healthy and responsible way. The employee's aggressive discussion of this topic was in no way pleasant.

In terms of nursing, most of the nurses and CNAs were pleasant, helpful and caring. The glaring exception was one of the head nurses named Lo****. This nurse, I think she was an RN, was quite indifferent to my mother's welfare. One time, I told her my mother urgently needed to use the restroom and I didn't know where the CNAs were. I was told "the CNA will come" which sounds innocent enough... but she showed no concern, let alone took no action, to help alleviate my mother's distress. I understand that we need to wait some time, but she made no effort to come and help us by herself. Finally, when the floor nurse came, she was very helpful and kind.

In another incident, I asked about getting medication to help stimulate my mother's appetite. At first, I was told by the head nurse, "There's no doctor here. This is not a hospital. You have to wait." This is not very kind nor helpful at all. She really should have told me that she would put in the request to the doctor and get it ordered as soon as they could.

These might seem like small little details, but after 8 days in Life Care Center, I knew for sure that I no longer trusted my mother's well being in this facility.

They were awesome. The staff is frien...

They were awesome. The staff is friendly, helpful and very accommodating. They have lots of entertainment and activities to keep the residents busy. She improved here a lot and was almost back at the point where she could everything on her own again. There staff is great and you can tell they really care about the residents. We would recommend this community to anyone.

Focusing on inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation with 24-hour skilled nursing care, Life Care Center of Colorado Springs’ in-house rehabilitation team utilizes state-of-the-art rehab equipment such as the AlterG® Anti-Gravity Treadmill®. We also offer the only continuum-of-care campus in the area, providing the highest levels of care to our patients and residents.