Kittay Senior Apartments - Bronx, NY

Glad to have found Kittay House!

Found Kittay House for my 88-y.o. mother, via A Place For Mom. She did not need a nursing home, just assisted living. We went on a tour of KH with [Removed] who is an outstanding representative of KH. My mom loved it right away. She moved in a month later & loves it there. There are plenty of activities to keep her busy & she has made a few friends. She had been through a rough patch in the year before with the death of her husband & KH is a needed & welcome change in her life.

Andy Neusner

Steve, we're thrilled that your mother is so pleased with Kittay and is enjoying the facility and activities there. We love having her as part of our community.

Big Adjustment

Taking into consideration the age of my mom she is doing very well however it is a big adjustment in moving here. We had a previous experience here so we were familiar with the community prior to her moving here. My likes her studio apartment she has a patio that she enjoys very much. The staff is very nice and kind. The community has a lot going on in the way of activity. Mom does not care for the restaurant style of serving the food she is used to more the cafeteria style. I would recommend this community to anyone

Andy Neusner

Glad to hear your mom is enjoying her new community (and patio) at Kittay, and getting used to the lifestyle. Thanks so much for sharing your recommendation. Don't hesitate to reach out to the staff if you and your mom ever need a hand!

The director here ([Removed]) is extremely helpful, knowledgeable and in tune to the needs of seniors. The space is very big and clean and the rooms layouts are well thought out. We were able to get a full tour including a sample meal and it was all great. The only drawback for my mother (who is a vibrant 75) was that the range of age and ability is very wide, so there were people who needed round the clock care mixed with able bodied/ minded folks like herself and she was put off by this. More her preference than a mark against the community.

Andy Neusner

Thank you for sharing your and your mom's assessment of Kittay after your tour; if she ends up there, we'll be honored to have her as a member of our community.

Don't go there. Don't send anyone there. Sales pitch is good. Reality is not.

Rooms are adequate, and there is good light from wall of windows.

Horrible food. Hot food is never hot. Ever eat a cold grilled cheese sandwich? Vegetables are a rarity and are boiled and soggy. Bread is stale. weird choices at meals. How about "fruit blintzes with succotash"?

Elevators are slow and inadequate for the number of wheelchairs and walkers. Residents wait forever to get to and from the dining room.

Some aides are good, but many are apathetic and do as little as they can get away with

Zero parking for visitors. If you can't use public transportation, don't even think of sending a loved one to Kittay.

And do not put anyone in ArchCare. That equals "no care."

Andy Neusner

Thank you for posting your concerns; we'd value a chance to work with you on the issues you raised. Would you please email our chief experience officer, Tammy Marshall, at [removed]? She has read your comments and would be happy to call you to talk about your Kittay concerns.

An Average Community

I took a tour of the community and I felt they were in a location that was too far from my kids and it was inclined to think about moving in. The experience was alright and pretty average. It was not for me.

Just a little Sedate!

I went on a tour here and have to say that it was well conducted and everything I asked was answered. However, this was a way more sedate place and it felt kind of like a nursing home than a home to live in. It just was not the place for my loved one.

Kittay House is a 10 story building in the Bronx. It is easy to get to by public transit. It has many
pleasing amenities;outdoor seating areas and gardens,library,beauty salon,exercise and computer rooms to mention a few.
The persons at the main desk were friendly and helpful.

This may be the place for my mom. All of the things that she needs are here. The staff is very helpful, friendly and take their time explaining all of the ins and outs of transitioning your parent.

Kittay House was a good experience for me and my father.

Kittay House staff was patient and efficient. They were helpful in the situation as I was totally new to the experience. They were kind and friendly.
The facility is very nice and friendly. The apartments are clean and service is good.
I would recommend them to anyone I knew needed this service.

I think they are doing very good.

I think they are doing very good. Nothing is perfect, but the people are what makes this place good. They are very important.

Affordable Living with Dignity and Caring Professionalism

From my first visit to Kittay House, I had the sense that I was in a well-run, caring, friendly and secure environment. The model apartments were tastefully furnished, and the common areas were clean and well maintained. My mother instantly fell in love with a large, sunny studio that overlooks the garden, and I must say, I love going to visit. Colorful paintings line the hallway walls. The security desk is attended by professionals, and there are cameras throughout the building.

The thing that impresses me most about Kittay House is that no matter who you come into contact with, you are met with warmth. I never worry that my mother doesn't have her own personal full-time aide, because wherever she happens to be on the premises, a helpful and patient staff member or resident is always nearby, and will always ask if she needs anything. If she doesn't show up at her table for lunch or dinner, the security desk calls up to her room immediately. The activities include live music, sing-alongs and classic movies in the auditorium, the residents' choir, games nights and outings. I often get a call from Mom saying, "oh, I didn't come back up to my room after dinner because they had such great entertainment tonight!"

If you are a New Yorker who feels overwhelmed by the high costs of senior living facilities and fears that spending a little less will mean forfeiting professionalism, caring staff, security, and above all, dignity for your loved one, you are wrong. You need to check out Kittay House.

very friendly

It is a very friendly positive atmosphere at Kittay House.

I do think there could be a little better communication. But everyone has been extremely nice. This has been a new experience for me so I do not have any basis of comparison, but overall I think things have gone pretty good.

simply excellent

They have a person there named Lillian who is in charge of the incoming residents, and she is simply excellent! She always keeps us informed on what is available, what all is involved, and what to expect. She has checked up on us regularly to make sure we are taken care of. It has been a very positive experience with Kittay House and I would highly recommend them.

Everyone is extremely friendly.

Everyone is extremely friendly. Sometimes it seems very clean, and other times not. They try to be helpful, the people and the staff are very, very friendly. As far as value that is hard to judge, they have done all the things they said they would do.

This is the place that abus...

This is the place that abused me and my mother in her final illness; looking at its name gives me agita

I toured Kittay house with Maayan, I ...

I toured Kittay house with Maayan, I would definitely consider Kittay House,however my Dad wants a place in Queens. Far Rockaway is too out of the way of his surroundings.

We liked the politics and feel of the...

We liked the politics and feel of the place, but didn't like the neighborhood. I don't think my parents will like it. Plus, I don't think it will change their situation -- still in an apt. with mom not sleeping.

To independent for my Fathers needs

To independent for my Fathers needs

For 35 years, Kittay Senior Apartments has provided the best in senior living, because we understand seniors. “Supported Independence” is our model. Kittay is a vibrant and diverse community where you can exercise your independence, while supported by amenities and services that assure your security and well-being. Kittay offers a great value: roomy, sun-drenched studio apartments with city skyline views including two meals daily (plus continental breakfast), free wifi, library, plenty of great activities each day, housekeeping and linen service. We also offer short-term and trial-stay options.

At Kittay House, you make the choices: you decide which activities to do each day; you arrange for the personal care and health care services you need – they’re not “bundled” in a one-size-fits-all package.