Home of the Good Shepherd - Malta, NY

Avoid the place

Went to visit my grandma and found her on the on the floor crying for help. The nurses did not respond to her pressing her panic button. My grandma said, "she was on the floor for over 45 minutes." When I asked why they did not respond to her pressings the panic button, the nurse said, "the battery fell out of her pager."

My grandma, was at Good Shepherd for 3 weeks and fell 3 times. The second time she fell she broke her wrist.

One day that I was visiting my grandma after she broke her wrist, I arrived to my grandma crying. She was crying because the aids gave her a oatmeal cookie in a plastic package that she could not open...she has a broke wrist.

My grandmother lost 10lbs in 3 weeks because food was put out of reach when she was condemned to her room because she had the flu.

My grandmother's food intake log would be filled out for the Breakfast, lunch, and dinner before lunch.

The worker are sick peoples who seem to enjoy torturing the elderly.

If you send your loved one here you better be able to visit everyday to make sure basic care is being addressed.

Not a wise choice for placement

Consistently short staffed
Inexperienced, unprofessional management team
Cannot retain staff due to extremely poor management
Care not at the level one would expect
Very disappointing

The staff are very helpful. They comp...

The staff are very helpful. They completely understood how difficult this move was for both my mother and us. They helped all if us with the transition.

My mother enjoys the activities and outings.

Got to Keep her Piano!

They keep them very busy! They are pretty good about the whole thing. They are very, very good about taking care of my mother and whatever her needs are. I don't see any need for improvement. They let her have her piano, which was extremely important to her.

Piano and Games

Most people are very friendly, and the staff is great. No complaints. I was there today visiting my brother. My brother is very happy there - when he was in independent living he was lonesome. He would stay downstairs in the foyer and read the papers for hours and hours by himself. Now he has dinner at 5 and there are a lot of women there and they play board games after dinner. He is so engrossed in playing the games. He plays the piano for them, and they have even had him playing the piano for residents in the memory care unit. He also has a piano in his room. We really liked Home of the Good Shepherd because they would drive him to dentist and doctors, which is more than 30 miles away.

Newer clean building nice private roo...

Newer clean building nice private room, 2 outside areas can walk out without supervison, special enterance ring door bell, will accept VA money.

At the Home of the Good Shepherd we offer our residents superior professional care in a warm and inviting assisted living environment. Our size allows us to treat each person as an individual, meeting their own particular needs and encouraging them to remain active and involved with their lives.
We put the personal care and comfort of our residents above all else. Upon admission, a personal care plan is developed for each resident and integrated within case management services. The personal care plan reflects an individual resident’s needs and routines prior to admission, and is based on discussions with the resident, family members, physicians and others concerned with the well-being of the resident.

A variety of delicious meals are served three times a day in our dining room. Therapeutic diets, as ordered by a physician, alternate menus and tray service to accommodate special circumstances are also available. Our residents never run out of opportunities for enriching and energizing their lives. We offer a full calendar of social and recreational activities that keep residents challenged and active, including but not limited to shopping, restaurants, cultural activities, parties, rides, arts and crafts, happy hour with live entertainment and exercises.