Heritage Assisted Living of Boise - Boise, ID

NOT the Place For Everyone.

This lower rating is due to our family's experience. Heritage has the ability to be a great facility if they address a few concerns.

This facility is older, but well maintained. It is peaceful with pleasant decor and a nice dining room. The dietary staff are all kind and very helpful people, as is their maintenance man. Most of the care staff were kind and caring. It seemed that about a third of the care staff was gruff or had a "bothered" attitude or seemed impatient, and that caused concern.

We moved my uncle there with assurances that they could meet his needs. Well, they could not. We repeatedly asked if they were SURE they could accommodate his physical limitations, and we were assured they absolutely could. While I have no doubt that they handle very mobile residents, who need little assistance, just fine, they are not the place for anyone who needs more than moderate assistance.

Various family members had concerns with the "nursing" coverage, or lack thereof, on evenings and especially weekends. My cousin overhead another resident's family member questioning the staff about their hand washing practices, and it seemed like they did not have a good handle on that. This could be a big concern in terms of spreading disease and infection.

We were able to relocate my uncle to a more appropriate assisted living facility that could accommodate his needs. The director at the new facility told us that the rule of thumb when choosing assisted living is that they are all different in terms of what they offer, so do your homework. He has been there a handful of months now and is faring better. Heritage has lower prices than most, so if your loved one fits the criteria of being pretty mobile and needing only moderate assistance, then it might be a good fit.

Whatever you do, wherever you place your loved one, make sure you visit them frequently. There were lots of sad, depressed, and lonely looking residents there, as I am sure there are at any number of assisted living facilities. Keep your loved one in the family loop...

Outdated but nice staff

I toured this facility while looking for a place for my brother. This community looked well-kept but it was outdated and desperately in need of a remodel. They do have a number of openings and they are by far the least expensive community. The marketing director who gave us the tour was very knowledgeable and seemed eager to fill the empty rooms. I would recommend this facility to other families.

Quiet Place, Pleasant Staff

My dad chose Heritage Assisted Living, and so far, it has been a very pleasant experience. The community is clean, I really love that. The staff is friendly and pleasant, and the food is really good for an institution. I like that the community itself has lots of trees and grass and that it's tucked away in a quiet, residential area. However I don't like that they charge $15 extra per ride for trips to the doctor and other places, and I feel that their activity schedules could use some help. There aren't that many activities for the men. Overall though, dad is generally happy here.

Only studio rooms, residents seem to be confined to their rooms. Activities room was smelly and claustrophobic.

I Didn't Feel Welcomed

I stopped by the community for a tour and it seemed as if I was an inconvenience to them. It was not a welcoming experience and she just told me they were full and they don't know why I was sent to them. It could have been said in a more professional way. They almost seemed over exaggerating. In the end, there was a waiting list and they were full at the time.

A good tour

This community was great when we visited. The staff were nice and the community seemed clean. They offer daily activities and encourage the residents to socialize. This community was a little more expensive than what we were looking for. I would say to not search for a community on your own as there are places like A Place for Mom that have a lot of good information to assist you.

There are nicer facilities for the money

Mr Crowe was very pleasant and professional. Facility is old and extremely outdated. No kitchenettes in the apartments. I cannot understand how they charge the same rates as newer facilities in the Boise area.

A Great Experience

It has been a great experience. My loved one was not real happy in the beginning, but the facility has really bent over backwards to make her feel welcomed and happy, so I have nothing but great things to say about it.

Jeff Crowe

Thanks so much for your feedback!

They were in part of the memory care and where we thought it it was better to be in the other part of the facility.The staff was really friendly but didn't go in as often to change them as I though they should be.

Jeff Crowe

Thank you for your review! At Heritage Assisted Living, we do strive for excellence. WE have recently made some changes that we feel will better suit the needs of the residents we serve. As such, we have seen the quality of care in our community increase and as we continue to implement some new policies, we anticipate that the quality of care will continue to climb!

Facility seemed to be older but maintained. Residents would get lots of exercise walking through the building. A one-story facility. Fred Parker was extremely helpful.

Fred Parker

Thank you for the review. We are one of the oldest assisted living communities in Idaho. The Drake family has License #1 in Idaho for assisted living. We offer a friendly, caring home atmosphere.
The state of Idaho recently completed our facility survey recently for our Boise community and we received the Silver Award for our community. Only four (out of 286) communities in Idaho received this award in 2013. This survey involves all facets of an assisted livings operations, some of which are: care of residents, food quality/preparation/ facility maintenance, resident happiness with facility, employees knowledge and demeanor, documentation of resident cares and employee files and hiring procedures.

Nice place, overall

Our experience with Heritage Assisted Living and Memory Care has been a good one, overall. Their staff is relatively more professional and friendly than other communities I have had experience with. They keep the facility very clean and well kept, both in the assisted living and memory care portions. I also like that they really put a lot of effort into encouraging their residents to participate in the many social activities they put on. They've also got a shuttle so that they can take residents to various local events.

Fred Parker

Thank you for your comments. Our staff will be pleased to see what you have said about our community and how our staff interacts and encourages our residents.

I am really quite pleased with the place.

I think they do okay. They are pretty clean. They aren't real responsive, that's what she complains about. They have plenty going on. The food would be about a three. I am really quite pleased with the place.

Jeff Crowe

Thank you for your review of Heritage Assisted Living!

My mother has been very happy there.

My mother has been very happy there. She loves the food. She loves the people. I was there for a week and everyone was very helpful with what she needs. They do a lot of little things that make a difference, like making sure that her neighbors are the same people they sat her with at the dining table. They were willing to work with medicaid if her money runs out. It's a very clean facility, it's a wonderful place! It has nice curb appeal, and it has been kept up inside, and it still looks like new.

Fred Parker

Thank you for the kind words. The Drake family has instilled a wonderful caring atmosphere throughout their communities whether it be in our care giving, dining and kitchen or maintenance which has made Heritage a comfortable place for our residents. We are so pleased your mother is happy here!

the cost is the only factor...

the cost is the only factor for Heritage.

Fred Parker

Heritage is moderately priced for the Treasure Valley but we are also able to be flexible on pricing to accommodate a residents budget when possible. Please feel free to ask if this can be arranged for your needs.

Not Impressed

I was not impressed with that place. I walked right in and it smelled of urine. They seemed to be kind of overworked for what they had in the middle of the day. If you walk in and you smell either some thing bad or a lot of chlorine you judge very quickly. I think if you walk into a place and it smells good or doesn't smell like anything that's a really good sign. This did smell so I didn't last very long in there. They were full but I wasn't too impressed.

Fred Parker

We are sorry you encountered some smell issues. Heritage takes great pride in the quality of our communities appearance and resident care. We are not sure where in the community you encountered the smell but we are quick to respond and ensure that the area is cleaned up immediately. Our staffing is better than state standards and we have some of the kindest caring staff according to our residents, families and staff. We would like to invite you for another visit so you can meet residents and staff and find out from them about Heritage.

I really liked this place. ...

I really liked this place. All the residents seemed well cared for and the staff friendly and compassionate. We visited a day that the public library was there dropping off books and a bus was leaving for a museum. I would say the energy here was much more relaxed compared to other places. The aesthetics were not as good but that is not what is important to us. We liked that there was more men dads age here. I liked that they really encouraged independence. They have a little thrift store and laundry facilities for them to use. They have a lounge to watch football. They take the guys out for barbecue and Fred told me how they got a bike for a guy there who couldn't drive. Dad had a blast introducing his dog zac to other residents and I caught him patting one of the guys on the back. I think dad would feel useful here and make friends fast. The rooms are nothing fancy and could use updated but that's not what counts. I am highly considering this for dad.

Fred Parker

Thank you for the positive comments on our staff and environment which provides great care and opportunities for residents to live independently. It was a joy having your father and Zac visit us, I know our residents and staff enjoyed meeting them.

Our community spans four generations of family-owned and operated, starting in 1960 when our great-grandfather began a nursing home. Heritage of Boise opened doors in 1978 and was built from the ground up by Harold Drake, original owner, and his son, current co-owner Richard Drake. Harold's daughter and current co-owner, Cheryl Drake Knowles, helped paint, furnish, and mow lawns while her husband was the first professional chef and designated winter Santa Clause. Our community is founded on family values and principles and stays true to those today.

Our inspired chefs serve luscious creations that are healthy and invigorating to the senses. We have many nooks for reading, playing games, watching TV, or participating in our numerous activities throughout the day and evening. We have two beautiful courtyards, encourage gardening in our raised grow beds, foster independence and see to it that all five senses are fully stimulated.

We love pets and encourage you to bring your beloved furry friend with you.

We believe in providing the best assisted living care for our residents by supporting individuality, privacy and meeting the changing needs of residents since your family is our family.

We invite you to savor our community with us by eating a meal and taking a tour with us.

Enthusiastically, Richard Drake and Cheryl (Drake) Knowles brother and sister owners