Hearth & Home at Vandalia - Dayton, OH

As you drive up to Hearth & Home you have the feeling that you’re approaching a home, and that sense is intensified the minute you walk through our front door. The smell of home cooking and sounds of laughter coming from the courtyard let you know just how relaxed life is here. You’ll no doubt find several of our friendly neighbors enjoying a cozy fire in the lounge and they’ll greet you warmly.
Visitors soon discover that our residents lead a very engaged life. They stay busy in community activities at the local senior center, as well as the churches and clubs they’ve always been a part of. Some drive themselves, while others take advantage of the transportation we provide.

Do not come here

This place is absolutely horrible. The staff are over worked and under paid. They are always short staff and lie and try to convince you they are not. The main boss is a liar and [Removed] to the residents. She has had relations with family members in the past. The main boss is never there and if she is she hides from family members. The food is horrible and is very cheap. Residents are not allowed to have sodas with out it being an issue. The main nurse from corporate is just as bad. She told us that dad was a good candidate to be here lied about one on one care and stated that they had everything dad needed for his care. All lies do not trust a word out of this woman's mouth. If she weren't there the place would be so much better!

Not a great experience

My mother has dementia and was often left unwashed. My mother had two instances where she had a wound that wasn't treated until a complaint was made.

Go somewhere else!

My mother stayed at this facility from Jan 2015 - Dec 2016. While it was okay when she first arrived, everything about the place went steadily downhill until it got to the point where her safety was a concern. Ever since [Removed] took over, the facility has gotten worse. Cheryl, the Activities Director, is a god-send to every resident there and the only saving grace left. [Removed] forced my mother to sleep in the hallway in her wheelchair at night and would not allow the staff to help her to bed. There are cock roaches at the facility, there is no lock down area for memory care patients, and the lack of cleanliness and adequate staffing for patient care is abhorrent. I would not recommend that you send your loved one to this facility.

The place is ran great!

The administration and the people running the Hearth & Home are fantastic. They are willing to help and listen to anything that needs to be addressed. We really have no complaints, the place is clean and the food is decent.

We are all very pleased we chose Hearth and Home

The staff at Hearth and Home went very kind and helpful when it was time to find a place for Mother. They went out of their way to answer all of our questions and make the transition as smooth as possible.
Now that she lives at Hearth and Home they have done everything possible to make it not just a place to stay, but her new home. She is treated with kindness and respect. The staff does everything possible to make her comfortable and happy to be there.
The family is greatly comforted knowing that Mother is being cared for so well.

Hearth & Home is affordable and worth serious consideration

Although we didn't ultimately go with Hearth & Home for my mom, they were certainly in great consideration. The sales manager is attentive, experienced and thoughtful. I felt comfortable from the front door and throughout. I also felt my mom and family would be just as comfortable and confident.

The reason we didn't choose Hearth & Home was simply that they aren't prepared to take Medicaid when and if that time comes. Their monthly rates are great, particularly considering the average costs for the area, but ultimately, we may have had to move mom based on our family's financial situation.

Review of Hearth & Home at Vandalia - Dayton, OH

Comfortable friendly clean and affordable. Also one of our familys top choices. The limit here for us is that they are not set up to accept Medicaid if the time comes which is likely with our familys financial situation. They are willing to work with folks on rates if need be but I didn t want to take the chance of needing to move mom at some point.

Exceptional place!

Everyone there is very friendly, attentive, and respectful of the people living their and family members . They are always working to engage everyone one is as much activities as they would like to do. And they have lots of activities for them. Could not ask for a nicer places that feels more like a home.

Review of Hearth & Home at Vandalia - Dayton, OH

The Executive Director gave the tour instead of a marketing sales person. Absolutely beautiful place that is almost always at 100 per cent capacity therefore chose this place immediately. The rooms are larger and doesnt resemble a nursing home in any way. Nate is extremely caring and considers it a ministry to help families and prospective residents thru such a difficult time.

Nice place

Our experience with Hearth & Home has been a good one, overall. It's a nice looking facility, and the staff all seem friendly and professional. They made it a very easy transition for my loved ones, and they seem to have settled in well.

Exceptional place and staff

Great place for assisted living. Staff is caring, and compassionate, and shows respect for the individuals. Always makes family feel welcome. Have lots of activities and they work to engage residents in everything they want to participate in. Would highly recommend, as this place feels like a home.

GREAT FACIITY AND GREAT STAFF!!!!

I have nothing but good things to say about the staff and facility at Hearth and Home. Nate the resident manager and Leah the head nurse went out of their way to help us transition my mom to their facility - down to staying with her at night until she got use to the facility (she had alzaheimers so they had to go above and beyond in order to get my mom adjusted to her new environment, which in alzaheimers patients this is very tramatic for them). I very much love that with this facility that there is not a separate memory care unit. I liked that my mom was able to socialize and participate in all the same activities as all the other residents and not separated into a unit just with residents with dementia and alzaheimers issues. I know that my mom enjoyed her time while she was there. This facility has a very well trained staff that knew how to handle my mom properly when she would get upset (again from the alzaheimers). No matter what time of day i would stop by to visit my mom, the staff was always busy helping residents; asking them if they needed help with anything or talking to them. The residents have alot of activities available to them which my mom enjoyed very much - especially the day they got to go on a tour of a winery!!!! I have learned from this experience that cost should not be the first factor, it should be the amount of care that the resident will receive in a assisted living facility. Even though it was at a point that my siblings and I could not take care of our mom; it was still difficult to make the choice to have my mom go into assisted living. But between Nate and Leah and the rest of the staff they took "care" of us as well by taking good care of our mom to where we didn't have to worry about her at any time while she was in their care. We knew that was the best place for my mom.

Nice looking place, overall

It looked attractive. I liked it because it was smaller. Also, everything was on ground level. She wasn't going to have to from one level to another. I didn't like that they did not have a lot of equipment like a hoyer lift. I wanted to convey that mom had a lot of medical issues that required more assistance, but the woman giving the tour indicated that she'd simply hire another person to help if needed.

This was one of our top three

This was one of our top three when we were searching for options. We really liked it, the only thing it didn't have was an Alzheimer's wing, and that's what we needed. It was clean, and everyone was very friendly. It was very nice.

Very nice looking place!

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for a loved one. I was very impressed by what I saw at Hearth & Home! It was a new, nice looking building, very clean and well kept, and the staff all seemed very friendly! We narrowed our list down to our favorite 3 communities, which included this one, and let Mom choose her favorite. She didn't end up selecting this one, but based on what we saw we can definitely recommend it as somewhere worth a look!

I was impressed by the inte...

I was impressed by the interior of this facility. The layout simple and the spaces / rooms seemed clean. I don't recall seeing much staff walking around, therefore I am concerned for any needs my Dad's needs. I will have to visit this facility again to make my final decision.

Did not have a good experience here

We did not have a good experience with this community at all. It was not as secure a community as my loved one needed, and the staff did not handle the memory care well. My loved one had wandering issues, and after only a few weeks they decided to send him to the hospital after an escape attempt and told us he could not return.

Great job!

They've done a great job here so far! The care is good, and the staff are incredibly friendly! It is a nice looking place, and always very clean. I think they could do a bit better communicating with families, I feel like I am always the one that has to initiate the conversations about my loved ones care. My loved one also said the food could stand to be better.

Beautiful facility, but unf...

Beautiful facility, but unfortunately out of my dad's price range.

Another Home Run!! Myra was...

Another Home Run!! Myra was fantastic! Tammy was super and Kelli was friendly and very generous as well. The facility was set up in a unique and wonderful way. I loved the faux town look and the way the rooms all open to a common living room and dining area. The studios are spacious and the 1 bedrooms with the sun rooms are lovely. The activities calendar looks fantastic as well. I like the fact that they promote the 'aging in place' policy that eliminates the need to find other care or to move my mother (which causes her stress). A beautiful tribute garden and wall show the caring they have for the residents and the lives they led before along with the service that they gave our country. All in all a place I think my mother would feel welcome and at home.Although a little more costly, the charges that are included in the payment certainly help offset that. Thank you all again for your time and kindness.

Important to ask specific questions

They do have nurses available 24 hours a day. It just so happens there was a couple here for rehab and he has a catheter at night, I don't know if its a 4 hour thing or how often but that's why he had to leave because they did not have nursing staff and they had to hire someone to come. I checked them out online and made phone calls and after the third phone call I figured out what kind of questions I needed to ask. The first was do you provide 24 hour nursing care (an Rn or LVN available 24 hours a day), the second was the overall cost and what things were included and do they have assistance to take them to the dining room and if they didn't feel up to going would the staff bring it to them and did they provide transportation. Based on not having 24 hour care, they weren't the best fit.