The Carlyle House - Dayton, OH

Great Care

This is a wonderful community in everyway. Good meals are offered with a nice variety to choose from. Great activities are offer for to assist in keeping active. The staff is outstanding and always caring and helpful. Great care and a great value. Highly recommend for anyone needing a great care facility.

My review would be a Great but...

My overall rating was based on how my father-in-law was treated after he commited an offense that Bryan Nelson(Executive Director) of Carlyle House would not tolerate. If I had rated them before this incident, it would have been a much better overall review. It's a long story. My lovely wife had been looking for a place for her mom who was suffering in later stages of Alzheimers. We were incredibly picky about where to find her a place that could give her 24/7 care. We ended up finding her a room here and the staff for the most part was amazing with her. We had discussed numerous times how much we liked this facility. It felt like a family oriented place and everybody was friendly. We could drop in at any time and rarely did we walk away thinking they were not taking care of her. After almost a year, we signed her dad up for a room here as well because he is suffering from dementia. We got them a suite with two bedrooms and things were going well. The staff here seemed to take him under their care just like my mother-in-law. Unfortunately, my mother-in-law gave in to the disease while living here. The folks at Carlyle House, jumped to action with calling and arranging hospice, and then the funeral home. It was a very sad time for us and the folks at Carlyle House seemed genuinely concerned about our welfare. The heath care director, Tracy Ball was super attentive and to this day, I still hope she is doing well. So... my father-in-law started acting out after this because they moved in a new guy in to his wife of 60 years room and he did not care for it. He totally changed. I understand this puts CH in a bad position but this is when the staff started changing. Their toleration limit seemed to be so much less for my father-in-law compared to my mother-in-law? She acted out due to the disease, but they seemed to tolerate it more? He acts out and it seemed like they had no way to deal with it? They removed the new guy from the other room and he did start to have less fits about how things were not right. So after a few months and things seem to be normalized. He groped another tenant. Apparently, this was the final straw with my father in law. They called my wife and told her we had 30 days to find a new place. There was mention of filing a claim with the state of Ohio and getting him added to the sexual predator page?! The was later stated to not be true but being in the car with my wife for 13hrs listening to her balling about the fact her dad may be listed as a predator and her dad is the nicest guy in the world and if he knew this was happening he would be devastated. I am not too sure how this did not happen. So we started calling around and had a hard time finding a new place. So after a few calls, we found out the normal thing that these types of places do is send them to a facility to get on a proper regiment of behavior drugs implemented to even them out and then they go back to the home they came from? We were not given this option and we were told that CH had used them in the past so we were quite baffled? We called CH and asked and they stated that they felt as if this would not work with with my father-in-law? This is how it ended. After the 30-days we got him out and to this day(it's been eight months) I wonder why this 'family' based organization went from fantastic to a feeling of being ostracized. I really liked this place and the people but to go through this is something I would never want anybody I know to deal with. The disease is hard enough to deal with and having this happen simply darkens my soul on how people can do this to someone that is part of the 'family'...

Costly, but worth a look and be realistic in expectations

Food, nurses, facilities in general are wonderful. Lot's of activities promised on monthly calendars, but not all actually take place. Evenings are lacking structured activities and often just offer movies on television leaving many residents with nothing to do - same is sometimes true during the afternoons. The facility promises high-tech offerings such as personal music and programs "piped" into resident's room, but those I know there say that no one knows how to do it, so this promise has gone unfulfilled for them. The food is wonderful - not "institutional" at all. Care at times can be uneven, such as residents with full diapers; those with bad, invasive behaviors impacting others in negative ways; and residents being left at tables and in corner seating with nothing to do (memory care). Overall, a great place compared to many. Directors are responsive and available more than at most places. If you have the extra money to place your loved on here - do it! But, as in all places be prepared to visit often and watch closely for potential problems.

Nice place, friendly staff

I think The Carlyle House does a good job overall, I'd give them high marks across the board. The facility itself is a nice looking, clean place, and the staff are caring and do a great job looking after the residents. They're worth a look if you're looking into senior living in the area.

A great experience for Dad

They really seem to care and involve Dad in activities. The on staff doctor is awesome. She is kind and compassionate and specializes in gerontology. Her philosophy is less meds the better. She would prefer the residents be on only the necessary meds, ones that are actually helping. Its a beautiful facility. They have a trolley and try to take residents out for rides, field trips and even a Dayton dragons game. The staff are caring and try to accommodate each resident. The technology is quite advanced as they are able to pipe in music and movies specifically for that resident. They try to involve residents in brain activities by computer as well. There is a special room for quieting residents having mood issues with their alzheimers. It has stars all over the ceiling and changing colors on the bubble waters. I know this is kind of random but you really need to check them out. It is a bit expensive but I think worth it.

We toured the facility. It is a very ...

We toured the facility. It is a very beautiful facility, nice rooms. They seem to be very helpful and they seem to know what they're doing as far as billing, care, etc. They are the most expensive of the seven assisted livings we have looked at. Our friend's husband lived here for a year in memory care. She visited every day, and was very happy with his care. However, it may be too expensive for us.

The Carlyle House is locally owned and managed through a long standing Dayton family tradition in the Senior Living industry. The experience and knowledge this relationship brings to The Carlyle House is invaluable to the core and security we provide our residence and their family members.It is the belief in community that defines The Carlyle House’s fresh new approach to senior living. The Carlyle House presents four neighborhoods which prominently reflect the qualities and standards from an era gone by. From the custom fish tank and the hand crafted library to the ice cream parlor in the Turret Cafe, The Carlyle House experience is built to impress. Your journey begins at the concierge desk where experienced professionals will show you the opportunities awaiting you at The Carlyle House.