Fair - but could do better with proper planning and communication.

The place is clean and staff is friendly and seem to do what they can when they can. Staff-to-resident ratio meets state requirements - as long as they all show up for work. When one is out, it creates a real issue for the residents (and staff). Everything gets delayed when not properly staffed. Residents press their button OFTEN to get a staff member and can be left there for up to four hours before someone comes. Unacceptable. What if it were a life-threatening emergency? A stroke or heart attack? Some residents are forgotten for baths or morning/evening assistance. The issues typically happen when staff don't come in - which seems to be a weekly occurrence - enough that a "Plan B" should be put in place for when this occurs.

Food is usually cold and not very good. Often the menu lists an item that is switched but residents are not informed. Residents make their decision whether or not to go to the dining hall based on the menu and its not right to change it without notice. It happens a lot. For some residents, it is a real challenge to get there, so it would be nice if they could order what they told was on the menu.

I think the staff tries hard, they just need more help and consistent help. Management should develop a Plan B to find qualified staff members that can fill in for a day. Lots of businesses do it - why can't they?

Five Star Reviews

I am the Executive Director and I am sincerely interested in your comments. I want to assure you that even when we have staff members out we meet state regulations for staffing -- and we are aggressively hiring so we have even more staff to call upon. That said, the response times you describe in your review not acceptable and I would like to get more details from you about when you have seen this happen. Additionally, we know that the dining experience is a very important aspect of life at HeartFields at Cary and I have shared your feedback with our Food and Beverage Director and we pledge to develop a better way to inform residents of menu changes.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your observations as we are always looking for ways to listen and improve. I am confident that with open communication we will continue to provide quality care and stay focused on consistent and ongoing improvement.

Only had Assisted Living and Memory Care - no Independent Living.

Great Meals!!

My loved had did a short respite stay at this community and have to say everything was no great but it was okay. I was very pleased with the dinning room staff and the amazing service they provided my husband while he was there. The only thing I could say could use some improvement is the over all staff. They where not very attentive to his needs and I ended up having to be there almost day with him.

Five Star Reviews

I am the Executive Director and would like to thank you sharing your thoughts with us. I am pleased to read your positive feedback on our dining room staff. It is our intent to exceed expectations in all areas for our residents, families and guests and am sorry that this was not your experience. I would like to meet with you to hear details of your experience. Please stop by or give me a call -- my door is always open.

Care and Comfort for dad.

I like the care that my father is receiving here. the staff are wonderful and are always keeping me informed on his progress. The meals on the menu are good and my fathers seem happy with the variety on. The community does offer my father to get involved to get him involved and this is a matter of time. We do recommend this community to other families for the care of a loved one for outstanding care and value.

We had a good visit and decided to move my Mother to this facility. Unfortunately they have failed to live up to our or even minimal expectations for care. My Mom has been in the community for about a month now and they still seem unable to get her on the bath schedule(supposed to have 3 a week) and get here consistently bathed. They were not very good about checking on her the first couple of weeks. My Father has had to confront the staff a number of times about the care Mom has been receiving including one time where it appears someone on staff forged the care documentation as my Father arrived just 30 minutes after they supposedly checked and cared for my Mother and the condition my Father found her is was just unacceptable and likely could not have occurred in a 30 minute period. Things have improved to a certain extent but we are seriously considering moving my Mom out of this facility.

Better Care

I was not happy with this community. They would not allow for doctors to come for care. They did not give me permission. The communty would not allow other visits from a visiting doctor. We did not like how we were treated us. They are still charging us while she is not there and in the hospital. We would not recommend this community to other families. The staff do not attend to the residents when they need assistance when using a device. They need better staff to be available when needed.

Five Star Reviews

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. I am the Executive Director and would like to have a conversation with you regarding your comments. Our entire team is dedicated to creating a superb lifestyle for our residents and peace of mind for families. As a part of providing peace of mind we strongly encourage resident choice as it pertains to physicians. While Doctor's Making Housecalls works in our community, many residents use outside physicians who they already have a relationship with. As discussed during move in, and as stated in the residency agreement, we do charge the standard daily rate for the first two weeks if a resident is out of the community -- however after that time we deduct the level of care and other incidental expenses. Please stop by or give me a call so we can discuss your concerns in detail -- my door is always open. Kind regards, Lakisha.

Close family care

I like this community very much. The staff is always caring and making sure his needs are good. They have a good variety of meals that he does like. He does like the activities that are offered and he does like to do a lot of walking which he does enjoy. I highly recommend this community to families wanting great care and a good value for a loved one.

Kind Tour

I toured this community for my mother and her needs. It was a nice tour, this is a pleasant community. Everything looked great, and well maintained. The staff I met was friendly. It was a nice experience, and they were very nice to my family and I.

Worth taking a look at.

This looked like a nice community when we visited. We did not get to see the memory care unit. The person that conducted the tour was nice and knowledgeable. She was more helpful than anyone else we encountered at the other communities we looked at.

Excellent representative.Felt she had a real concern for my situation

Variety Of Activities!!

The HeartFields at Cary was a good choice for my mother. The staff is very friendly, my mother is getting to know them and really likes them. They are very understanding and listen to what we have to say. The community is clean and well maintained, but sometimes my loved one seems to not have been bathed in a while. They offer a variety of activities such as paint night, where all of the residents could come together and interact with each other.

Bad Experience With This Community!!

I had a meeting with different people from the community regarding my loved ones health. We decided that my loved one needing an exam done and they didn't follow up. Due to this my loved one is not doing good. The staff had the tendency of leaving the residents on their wheelchair throughout the day. The assisted living place always looked like they were doing an activity and the residents were active. On this side it was a whole different atmosphere. My loved one didn't receive the proper services they should have received.

Five Star Reviews

Thank you so much for your input. Five Star Senior Living communities operate under strict federal and state safety laws and our staff is trained to follow all the prerequisite procedures in terms of care and safety provided to our residents. We offer a variety of activities and programs designed to encourage spiritual, mental and physical well-being of our residents and we strive to deliver quality care to all of our residents in all lines of care. With that being said, we are always looking for ways to improve, so if you are willing, we kindly ask you to call our Gold Star Service line [removed] and provide us more details.

Very good community.

The administrators and staff are outstanding. The facility is always clean and smells fresh. The food is very good and there are lots of food options. The facilities operation runs like clockwork with a very friendly atmosphere. There is a lot of shopping and restaurants in the immediate area. The transportation provided is excellent.
There are several nursing services that we needed to have provided by an outside company. This was a little disappointing based on the cost of what we are paying for the facility.

I was not impressed with Heartfield!

I did not like this community. The person in charge was great. The place was dirty and I did not feel it was the type of place I would want to be so I would not put my mom there.

No Gluten Free food

Five Star Reviews

Thank you for your input. We always try to work with our residents to meet their accommodation and dinning needs. If you have any concerns, please feel free to call our toll-free GOLD customer service line at: [removed].

Seemed like a nice place

We toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. I thought HeartFields at Cary seemed like a nice place, overall. The residents seemed clean and well taken care of, and the facility itself was well kept and clean. The staff I met were friendly and professional, although I will mention that they weren't entirely prepared for us when we showed up for our tour.

Super Friendly and Terrific People

They are just super friendly and they couldn't be nicer. Probably the only negative I have is that i have had a couple of minor issues and concerns and they have been a little slow to respond. But overall they have been terrific.

Some Improvements Could Be Made

One thing they can improve on is having employees be on the floor at all times. They don't need to all disappear at one time. I just think some improvements could be made on the activities as well, I thought those could be better.

There is less going in and getting mom to engage

At HeartFields AL & Alzheimer's Care at Cary the staff has been wonderful to work with. Mom was in another facility before she came here. There is less going in and getting mom to engage in the assisted living here. The previous facility she was at was independent assisted and they were better about making sure she was getting out and engaging. Other than that I like that this facility is smaller and overall things are going really well.

Great job!

My father was recently there at Heartfields for two weeks of respite care. The staff was wonderful and I left town knowing he would be in good hands while I was gone. I would recommend this facility to anyone thinking of placing a loved one there. PH

Tiny memory care unit. Community room and some private rooms have view of outdoor courtyard. Courtyard is secure and residents can come & go. Access to elevator is secure. Dining area is meant to have a more intimate, family feel. Looked dark, didn't smell appetizing at 1pm

So far my loved one seems to be adjusting well. I do worry that there is not enough staff on board especially on the weekends. The staff seems to be very friendly and caring.

Cleanliness Is Excellent

The cleanliness is excellent, I guess the care is everything that could be expected. The only thing they could improve on is the food. Sometimes it's not as hot as it could be, sometimes certain things aren't prepared well. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and the staff are caring and professional.

Nice place, overall

Our experience with HeartFields has been a good one so far. They were very accommodating, welcoming, and helpful throughout the whole sales and move-in process. We did, however, have a bit of difficulty getting my loved ones medical records transferred over and set up here, the hand off could have been smoother. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and the staff are caring and professional.

The doctors are exceptional!

Sometimes, I don't think the staff understands that there is a settling in period, but they address the issue you bring up to them and that is extremely important. When you make specific requests, they deal with it. When you deal with a caregiver, it is important that the staff is vigilant that they resolve any problems that come up. Management is great and the staff is loved by my mom. The doctors are exceptional! My mother is in better shape than when I brought her!

Nice place, overall

Overall things have gone well with HeartFields! My loved one seems well cared for, and the staff have been friendly and professional. We've had occasional issues, but they are always quick to do what they can to resolve any problems, which we appreciate.

I met with Terrence. Provid...

I met with Terrence. Provided helpful caregiver info from personal experience. Facility was hotel-ish. Private room I visited was nice but small. Memory care floor halls were crowded with people in wheelchairs. Residents were eating and I was not allowed to walk thru dining room. I heard ' we have the largest courtyard in Cary' but I did not see it. Too far from my house. Overall, not impressed!

Five Star Reviews

Thank you for your feedback and visiting our community. We are pleased that you found the personal caregiver experience that our associate shared with you helpful. We were also delighted that you found our private studio nice and understand that for some the square footage of this apartment style is a little cozier than they are comfortable with. As a Five Star Community, we strive to be able to provide family members with the best possible solutions for their loved ones. Part of this includes different apartment styles and floor plans, from our cozy studios to our spacious two bedroom. We have an award winning signature dining program that revolves around providing the best possible experience to our residents including choices, family style dining, and menu items that are available all day to accommodate the preferences of those we serve. Meal times are busy and our teams are focused on our residents and meeting their needs. Our memory care neighborhood space here at Heartfields is also a cozy one, but our award winning Programming – Bridge to Rediscovery, is expansive. Our size allows opportunity for much individualized care and an environment that provides maximum oversight. At the time you were visiting, our staff were bringing our residents together to head for our dining room. While your first visit may not have provided all of the information you were looking for, I would encourage and invite you back so that we can go through all of our programs and see if we can help provide your family with a great senior living solution. Being a part of Five Star also affords us the ability to meet the needs of many families with multiple locations. Perhaps if the Cary location is not within the preferred driving distance, one of our other locations in Durham or Raleigh might meet be a great option. We would absolutely love the opportunity to speak with you further in order to assist you better!

Jennifer Earp
Executive Director

Mostly good but there are a few issues.

It's good, but we can't get anybody to look into her symptoms and they don't seem to be taking it seriously, at least not to my satisfaction. We don't think she is getting fluids as much as we had hoped, the people and the rooms are very nice. Sometimes she would ring the buzzer, and have to wait a long time. They make it seem like you can ask for something different or that you can eat what you want but, a woman asked for a hamburger and they were having tacos and they told her to just put a lot of ketchup on it. The charges for the extra care is too much.

Five Star Reviews

We appreciate this feedback and are sorry to hear that we fell short of a family members’ expectations. We endeavor to meet and exceed expectations for all we serve. Our commitment continues to be on quality improvement and putting people first. Input from our residents and families is paramount in our ability to focus our energy, training and resources in providing quality care, dining and programming in conjunction with our friendly staff and very nice rooms. We thank you for your suggested focus areas and review.

The front desk was not as w...

The front desk was not as welcoming as other places. The marketing person was very nice and informative.

very nice

very nice

First 30 days

People at residence are all very nice and attentive. Initially we were told that residents are checked on every 2 hours, but have sat with with residents for hours without anyone coming by. Resident was skipped for a meal two weeks into stay. Not sure if they are assisting resident in bathing. Pulled call string once to see response time and it went well over 23 minutes.

Nice Facility

The facility was very nice but the people were not as warm so with that reason we thought mom might get better care at another location we were considering.

Wasn't quite right

We really liked the coordinator (not sure what her exact title is), she was very nice but for what we were going to pay there (we almost went there), the room was very tiny and I was not completely sold on it.

Great!

She was only there a day and a half before she passed away but they were great. The main lobby area looked clean and the staff was awesome. The care was great too - they were very attentive. We paid a $2500 move-in fee and a month's rent upfront and they sent us back the whole move-in fee and 1/3 of the month's rent which they didn't have to do either so I thought that was really great.

They were okay, he was in the general...

They were okay, he was in the general population so he got the same care as everybody else but I think he needed a little more. The furnishings were lovely, the people were friendly, and there certainly weren't the same kind of care problems we're having now

Nice place. Don't think it's in our p...

Nice place. Don't think it's in our price range.

Welcome to HeartFields, a Five Star Quality Care community! In our beautiful, home-like setting with stately architecture and a thoughtfully designed interior, you will be close to Western Wake Hospital, shopping, cultural activities, doctors and medical centers. We offer 24-hour nursing, respectful caregivers, Assisted Living with additional levels of care, our award winning Bridge to Rediscovery memory care program in a secure area, individual care plans, an on-site team of specialists, group social events and much more. HeartFields at Cary was designed with your lifestyle in mind, to make your experience comfortable and inviting. We offer tastefully appointed common rooms, a cozy library, full service hair salon, a therapeutic spa, wraparound porches, comfortable dining rooms and lounges, restaurant-style meals with homemade food, and complete maintenance services. HeartFields at Cary offers a full array of social, recreational and educational activities, and scheduled transportation allows for shopping trips and community outings. Our secure and manageable environment welcomes your family and friends anytime! At HeartFields at Cary, a hassle-free life is what we are all about!