HarborChase of Columbia - Columbia, SC

Early cancellation penalty for lack of 2 week notice on resident that passed away.

Please be careful with this facility and read the small print. Had a family member stay here and when she passes away, they charged us over $1,200 because we didn't provide a 2 week notice on us cancelling. SHE PASSED AWAY. When she arrived at the hospital they acknowledged she was severely dehydrated. Just saying please please please make sure you read all the fine print before signing up a friend of family member for this facility. Bad way of doing business!

Billy Brandes

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. You have our sincere condolences on the loss of your loved one. We are also sorry to hear that you have an unfavorable view of our community. Although we don’t discuss specific resident details publicly, we do take great care to ensure that all of our billing practices are fair and transparent. We will also say that the overall wellness of our residents is of paramount importance to us and we can assure you that we adhere to strict standards for nursing and senior care. Thanks again for your review. We appreciate your time and your concerns.

No Nursing Staff On Site

We toured a few different communities and this one we liked very much. However, I had been advised by someone not to consider a community that didn't have any nursing staff on site which this property does not. The community was clean and well kept. The staff was very friendly and nice most helpful during the tour. I did find that the community was maybe slightly too big for what my dad would have liked and made him feel comfortable.

Billy Brandes

Thank you very much for your excellent review! We’re happy to hear that you had a great tour and we very much appreciate your kind words about our beautiful community and friendly associates. As we do offer comprehensive assisted living and memory care services, we’d love to have another opportunity to discuss our highly-trained associates who are on-site and available 24 hours a day. We do indeed have nursing staff, that is our Director of Resident Care. Again, we thank you for your visit and hope that we’ll have another chance to get to know you and your dad.

Treatment of hands on staff

The management staff is very low rate when it comes to the hands on staff have over heard many times management talking down or talking about hands on staff but the sad thing of it all is the way some of the resident talk to the hands on staff and most of all how the Executive Director talk to staff members. Over all care is GREAT even though the building is very short staff across the board. I would like to know why fish is being served 4 nights out the week. Great place are far as care but I would not allow my DOG to work there. Watch how you talk and treat your staff.

Billy Brandes

Thank you for reviewing us and for the overall high ratings. We appreciate the kind words about our associates and the exceptional care they provide our residents each and every day. We also appreciate you taking the time to share some of your concerns. Our culinary team serves a wide variety of seasonal dishes and menu items. Many of our residents enjoy and request having fish on the menu on a regular basis. Since there are numerous menu items, residents are always free to order whatever they choose, just like in a restaurant. Again, we thank you for your review and wish you all the best.

poor management

The staff (care partners) is made up of mostly women who outstanding and second shift goes above and beyond which is the reason why my in law is there. The management team are low class at it's best the staff is over worked and very much under staff. Have seen this more then once. The food is great until dinner due to having fish more then 2 nights a week. [Removed] who is the Executive Director is very Rude to the staff and have no form of Empathy . Do not know who is in charge of Assessments but they need to learn the difference from Assisted living and skilled care. If you want a place where the staff cares for your love one then this is the place but not for employment..... Please pray for the Ladies of Harbor Chase of Columbia

Billy Brandes

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are pleased that you and your family chose HarborChase for your loved one and we sincerely appreciate the kind words about our delicious dining and outstanding associates. We share your enthusiasm for the excellent work of our caring and compassionate care partners. Again, we thank you for your thoughts and concerns and for choosing HarborChase for your loved one. We look forward to serving you and your family for years to come.

This has been a great place for my dad

I couldn't ask for a better place for my dad. The staff are so friendly, very accommodating and really care about the residents. This is a smaller place so it is more personable. My dad enjoys being a part of the activities he enjoys the trivia games and the music and he really likes the walks around the pond located there. He likes coming to the dining area and they even accommodate me when I come to eat with him as I am a vegetarian. I am very pleased with the care my dd is getting.

Billy Brandes

Thank you very much for your recommendation and five-star review! We’re very happy that you and your family decided to choose HarborChase for your dad. We’re thrilled to hear that he has settled in well and is enjoying a variety of activities throughout the community. We also very much appreciate the kind words about friendly associates and accommodating dining services. Again, we thank you sincerely for taking the time to rate us. We look forward to serving you and your family for years to come!

Good care

They took good care of my dad for the short time he stayed at HarborChase of Columbia. The community is warm and inviting to family members. The director was very involved and the community is well run and efficient. The staff was very hands on in attending to my dad's care. It is a beautiful and well-kept community.

Billy Brandes

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate us. We’re glad that you chose HarborChase for your dad, and we sincerely thank you for your kind words about our warm and beautiful community. We especially appreciate the kind words about our director and other associates. Every day, we are sincerely dedicated to providing the very best in care and services for our residents and their loved ones. Again, we thank you for your wonderful review of HarborChase.

Mother in Law Doing Wonderful

My mother in law is doing wonderful since her move at this community. When we first moved her into this community, we moved her in the memory care unit of the facility. However the community suggesting that she lives in Assisted Living portion, because her level care was not quite there yet. Since her move into the assisted living portion everything has been working out great. They provide nice meals, and good activities for the residents. We know she is safe, and in good hands. This is a community I would recommend to my family, and friends.

Billy Brandes

Thank you very much for your wonderful recommendation and five-star review! We’re very happy that you and your family decided to choose HarborChase for your mother-in-law. We appreciate the kind words about our care, our delicious dining services and the wealth of activities available daily through our Life Enrichment program. We’re glad to hear that your mother-in-law’s time with us has worked out so well for you all. We’re proud to be able to provide you and your family with some measure of peace of mind. Again, we thank you for your five-star review. We look forward to serving you and your family for years to come!

Harborchase of Columbia - Columbia SC

Love it! The care-partners, the chefs, and the maintenance crew are exceptional at Harbor Chase!
Their kindness, friendliness, and professionalism shown to the residents and their families is a Blessing!

Billy Brandes

Thank you for your five-star review, Corliss. We sincerely thank you for taking the time to rate our community. We especially appreciate the compliments and kind words about our care partners, chefs and maintenance crew. Every day, they are truly dedicated to providing the very best in senior living for our residents and their family members. Again, we thank you for your review and look forward to serving you in the years to come.

Harborchase of Columbia - Columbia SC

Great place to work. Great Company. Great family.

Billy Brandes

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate HarborChase, Rob. We appreciate the kind words about our company and are proud to have you as part of our family. We look forward to continuously providing the very best in senior living to the residents and family members of HarborChase for many years to come. Thanks again for your review.

Friendly Community, My Tour Was Nice

This is a nice community, and my tour went well. Everyone very friendly and courteous. From what I saw everything looked well maintained, and clean. The staff I came across was friendly and kind. This is a kind community. My tour was a good one, and they treated my family and myself very well.

Billy Brandes

Thank you for taking the time to rate us. We’re so happy that you had a great visit of HarborChase. We appreciate the positive feedback about our friendly and clean community. We especially loved hearing the compliments about our kind and hard-working associates and care partners. Every day, they are focused on providing the very best in senior living. Again, we thank you for your review and we hope you and your family will come back for another visit soon.

Pleasant home away from home

Harbor chase was a friendly place. Caring staff. My room was very pleasant. Clean including the bathroom . The dining room could have been cleaned more often. Food dropped on the floor could cause someone to fall. I was only there for a short time. The only negative was the front porch was often covered with duck poop. There is a lake behind the facility. The ducks come up for food. The residents enjoy them.

Harbor Chase check it out

I was at Harbor Chase for respite care. Was very pleased with my room and the care I received.. Great view of the lake. Good walking area. Porch for enjoying the outside. Staff was very friendly and helful. Was not to fond of the ducks. They are entertaining to the fultime residents. Especially enjoyed the music when Janet played the piano and sang hymns.

My sister and I met with Janet Altman and were pleased with the small home-like setting of this facility. The memory unit includes 13 apartments, each with private bathrooms. The staff were friendly and helpful. We met several residents and they all bragged on how nice Janet was. Janet played the piano and sang for us, and several of the residents in the lounge area joined in, along with one of the other associates. This one is SO much better than the first one we visited, and costs are comparable. The $4995/mo for a private room is all inclusive after paying a one time community fee of $3500 (yikes!). Pricey, but guess you get what you pay for. We were each presented with a box with two pastries when we got ready to leave. We sampled one and saved the 2nd one for Mom to enjoy. A group of residents were doing memory exercises (ex: flash card with a M on it, and asking residents to identify a candy that starts with M). They looked like they were having fun. In talking with Janet, we could see she really cared for the residents and it put us at ease. There was no Hard Sell like we got at [community name removed]. Just friendly tour and helpful information.

AMAZING!!! Janet and Mimi are amazing!!!! OMG! What a personal, fun, caring tour we had!!! Their facility was wonderful and you could see & feel the love that Janet and Mimi have with all the residents there! My mother would indeed be very happy!

Nice looking community

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for a loved one. I thought this was a very nice looking community, and would definitely be our second choice. It was clean, well kept, and the staff all seemed very friendly. Unfortunately they did not have any openings at the time of our tour.

Wonderful place to live

The staff are extremely friendly and helpful! They know the residents and care about them. The facility is clean and nicely appointed.

We have been very happy with our experience! We were looking for a place for our mother and our criteria was that if we would not live there, we wouldn't take her there.

We would live here.

They are always there for us.

They are always there for us. They are up to the top, very helpful, very caring, very loving people. I'd give them a ten. When she had to go to the emergency room and we were out of town, they called us and let us know every step of the way. They are absolutely 100% worth it! They have parties for different holidays, and a dinner once a month for the residents as well as the family. The food is good! They had a family dinner for us when we first moved in and we got to meet most of the staff. It was wonderful. I have to give a big shout out to Ms. Stoddard, I couldn't have done it with out her. When I called A Place For Mom, they were right on it, and there for me. They really helped us in our time of need.

Wonderful place and very caring staff

It's been a wonderful place, we were very pleased with it. The care was wonderful, I loved all the staff, they're just so loving and caring, it was a beautiful place, a peaceful place. It had lots of activities, my mom was a musician and she had quite a level of dementia but they really encouraged her to play the piano at lots of activities and that was so good for mom. They had family nights, we weren't there for very long so we only got to go to two, but one of my favorite photos is from a couple of weeks ago with my mom and I in cowboy hats and bandanas. This place also had a memory care, but we tried the regular assisted living and it turned out that that worked out fine, but we knew if leaving became an issue she would be able to go there and that was nice. Being close was also really important and it made a difference, my husband and I could swing by after work and if it had been farther, we may have put it off.

Much better administration

Their administrators were far more realistic and forthcoming. It was very similar to the one in AIken, their idea's the same, it's a chain, the idea is a good one and the difference was the administrators were much more straight shooters. It's bigger, but the way they break it up is rooms placed around a circle so the person in the center has a certain number of doors they watch and it's the same ration of staff to people.

HarborChase of Columbia

I found HarborChase of Columbia to be a good fit for my Mother. The Memory Care unit has a smaller number of residents, the 'common' area was nicely furnished, the rooms are nice. Mom seems to be content there. The staff are very supportive and attentive to the residents as well as the family. They have engaged Mom in activities. They provide activities that make the residents comfortable with their surroundings and themselves in their stay there.

Not being able to keep Mom at home any longer, HarborChase has provided a 'home away from home' type place for her to stay.

Place was nice and clean bu...

Place was nice and clean but don't think parents would like being in a studio apartment. Will still keep in consideration.

Very Convenient Location

We chose Harborchase of Columbia because of the convenient location it provides for our family. It is located right off a very nice housing development and has easy access to the highway. The value we got here was better then what we would have received at other communities we looked at. There is some place of high traffic that could use a little more cleaning but overall it is a very good community and we would recommend it to anyone.

I liked the rooms OK. Many activities...

I liked the rooms OK. Many activities for residents. Not as well maintainted as another property I looked at, which was cleaner. My brother noticed this as well.

Rooms were good sized and reasonably ...

Rooms were good sized and reasonably priced. Additional costs for personal care seemed higher than other places. Lots of activities

At HarborChase of Columbia Assisted Living and Memory Care we provide exceptional care for those who require assistance with their day-to-day needs and those challenged with dementia or Alzheimer’s in a warm, home-like environment.
Our beautiful campus is nestled on a wooded lakeview site and the neighborhood feel is residential. A one mile paved walking path around Lake Harbison is within footsteps of the community’s back door. This unique amenity is the perfect place for residents to take a walk or spend time enjoying the sunshine while feeding the ducks.
Inside of HarborChase you will find tastefully decorated common areas and open areas where residents make new friends, socialize, exercise, participate in crafts, games and activities, and relax in our spa. Our gracious dining room, set with small tables, provides an intimate atmosphere for daily meals. When residents want to host special events for family and friends, our elegant private dining room provides the ideal setting.
HarborChase of Columbia is within minutes of medical services, Columbiana Mall, theaters and numerous restaurants. The community is convenient to Harbison Recreation Center, the State Museum, Riverbanks Zoological Park and Botanical Garden, and Richland and Lexington County Libraries.
The community is located on Fairforest Drive, just off of Woodcross Drive which, in turn, is just southeast of Harbison Boulevard and I-26.