Carolina Gardens at Lexington - Lexington, SC

Community Being Remolded, but A Tour Went Well

I toured this community for my mother, and her needs. My tour went pretty well. The community was in the process of being remolded. I did feel the community was a little dated. However the staff I met was kind, and friendly. I did feel this would had a good choice for my mother. and her needs. It was a good experience.

Great place for loved ones!

My mom lives at Carolina Gardens Lexington. She has adjusted really well. The staff is excellent and the location is perfect for her family. Pruitt Health took over this facility in March and have seen much improvement with grounds and an inside facelift. Improvements also have been made with meals but could still use a little more variety in diet selections. Highly recommend this facility and care for your loved ones.

Feels like home!!

The move to the Carolina Gardens has been smooth for my mother. The apartment she is in is comfortable and feels like home to her. A group of people and myself take her as much stuff as we can to make it as homelike as possible. The place is clean and the staff is very helpful and friendly. She is very happy, and I love it.

Wonderful Community

This is a wonderful community, and I'am pleased with all they have done for us. I know my husband is in caring hands. The staff is incredible, they have been really good to my husband and I. This is a lovely community. They do a very good job with the up keep of the community. They are providing great care. I have already recommended this community to my friends. It is a great place with caring people.

Treated My Family Well

We toured this community for my father and his needs. Everything went very well, and they treated us very well. The community appeared to be well-kept. Everything was nice and clean. The staff I met was kind and courteous. It was a good experience, and they treated my family and I very well.

Nice place, overall

Unfortunately my loved one was only here for a very brief time, but overall I thought Carolina Gardens seemed like a nice place. The facility itself is nice looking, and the staff was very helpful and informative during the tours. I was a little disappointed with her move-in day, they greeted us when we came in, but never really came to check on us the rest of the day. I will say that when my loved one had serious health complications the director was there for us, he met us at the hospital and checked in often.

Mark Ting

Thank you for reaching out to us. We value your opinions, and appreciate the positive comments about our community's appearance, and helpful staff. It's also great to hear that our director proactively checked in at the hospital. We strive to provide the best, quality care and it's important to us to be a support to residents, as well as family members, especially during difficult times. Thank you, again, for taking the time to write us a review!

New name, old Agape personnel

I stopped in to check it out now that its is no longer "Agape" but found most of the same Agape staff (with some just from different Agape facilities). The Memory Care unit in the rear is depressing and dark. While taking a tour, a woman in a wheelchair asked for pain medication, and that message didn't get passed to a med tech until at least 15 minutes later into my "tour." The med tech responded "she already had her pill." I don't know if they ever went back to the poor woman waiting in the hall in her wheelchair. If you pay the $2,000 admittance fee, they reserve the right to move you to the back Memory Care unit at their discretion. The administrator told me if there was any sign of memory problems, they moved residents to the back. There aren't enough nice units in the front. I wouldn't leave a dog in the back unit, much less my loved one.

"Peace of Mind!"

The ENTIRE staff has been extremely helpful and supportive since we first walked in the door. I truly feel "peace of mind" knowing that my parents are well taken care of by the staff. Both of my parents have enjoyed the variety of meals prepared in the dining room. The administrator, Jeremy [removed], has been a "rock" for me during this emotional transition and has been genuinely compassionate and caring to my parents.

I have found Carolina Gardens to be the best place for my Mother. She is getting better quality care and more one-on-one therapy and care. We know her memory will continue to decrease, but she is in good hands. All the staff has been very helpful, friendly and welcomed her with open arms. I like the fact that her unit is for a small group of person, this is less intimidating for her.

Very happy

I visited several assisted living sites for my mother's care and chose Carolina Gardens because of the price, amenities offered and the professionalism of the staff. They have been more than helpful in all the aspects of getting her settled in.

This was our first visit with a community, so we didn't know what to expect. We met with Brodie and Melba and were given a tour of the facilities. Based on their assessment, the memory care area is where mother would need to be placed. We looked at a "private" room, which was VERY small, bare bones, and would require we furnish it. It had a bathroom to be shared with the adjoining room. They talked a good game, but at $4-5K/month, it seemed lacking personal warmth. A small group of residents were playing Bingo when we arrived, but we were ushered into the office immediately to discuss mother's needs. They recommended we go with "their" Dr, hospice and pharmacy. They had a new Hospice House (which we did not tour) next door, which would be available for any medical needs which may arise. They indicated they have a Foundation which could pick up costs after personal funds were depleted, but we would have to apply for this, and would be placed at a different location if we qualified. I would imagine this 2nd location would be not as nice as the area we visited, and I was not overwhelmingly pleased with the memory care/dementia unit we visited. I felt confined, and the areas were locked, with keypads that denied door openings between the memory care and other less managed units. It gave me the creeps, and I told them so. Brody was very nice and patient to explain everything. He provided a detailed cost breakdown to help us understand exactly what we were facing. Melba actually detracted from his assistance, as she kept providing her input. Sorry to be so negative, but I think it is best to tell it like it is.

Very disappointing

Jennifer Warren (salesperson) made lots of promises that were not kept. E.g. that she would contact all of Mom's out-of-state doctors and obtain her medical records for the new doctors she would help us find in SC and that she would have certain maintenance work done (as simple as removing the previous resident's property), but didn't follow through. (I note she no longer works there.) Mom hates the food. Many times dinner is half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a hot dog. Meals are not appetizingly prepared or served. Fresh fruit is rare. Phone calls to Max, the administrator, are rarely returned. Agape used to call me if Mom fell ("was observed on the floor") but has recently stopped letting me know. We are paying ourselves and the expense is prohibitive. ($4,000 nonrefundable application fee plus at least $4,000 per month.) Her room is not cleaned regularly (except to empty trash and replace TP) and her laundry is rarely done unless I do it for her.

Jennifer Warren was very ni...

Jennifer Warren was very nice and welcoming. She covered the questions that I had and presented a very nice tour. We had a very lengthy visit about 3 hours. She also brought in Max, the director, to provide information concerning the questions I had concerning fire, health and safety inspections. I was impressed with the front of the building but not the back (little flowers or shrubbery provided for residents to look outside the windows. I was impressed and like the apartments with the French sliding doors and patios. I did not like that residents are taken to appointments and the doctor offices have to call to have them picked up.

Overall we are pleased, but the communication needs improvement.

Overall, we are pleased with the care our mother is now receiving. However, we got off to a slow start with communication. We moved our mother in on a weekend, and there was limited staff to answer our questions and help get our mother settled and oriented in her new "home". An information/welcome packet with information about meal times, TV channel listings, instructions on how to use the telephone (i.e., dial "9" to get an outside line), a diagram of rooms in relationship to cafeteria, hair salon, etc. would have been very helpful. Some important things should have already been set up prior to moving day, such as, a bath schedule, the medication schedule, laundry procedures, and other specific care needs. Phone calls prior to the move as well as on moving day were not returned in a timely manner. Cross-training some of the staff members so they could be present to answer questions and assist with move-ins would be helpful. This facility seems to be very unorganized with the initial move-in stuff. We had asked about some of these things ahead of time and thought we were ready. In addition, the facility's doctor gave our mom an initial examination and discovered some health concerns, but never called to discuss her findings with any of us. We have had to do all the follow-ups with the facility to find out details of our mother's health. I would give them an A- on caregiving and a D on communication.

Feeling at home

My sister visited a few places before asking me to look over Agape Lexington. It exceeded my expectations. It was clean, presented a full array of opportunities for my mother's relaxation and had a staff that was friendly and caring. My mother moved in with a compatible roommate and took her favorite chair with her. I'm told the food is excellent, and the menu seems varied. My mother has found it easy to make new friends.

Agape is very very nice. The staff i...

Agape is very very nice. The staff is absolutely wonderful!

Everythings' always clean when we go in there the grounds are always well kept, the entryway is always clean.

Ambra, Lauren, Renee, Kim are the people I dealt with the most and they could answer all my questions.

Choosing the best assisted living facility can be an important decision that many seniors will have to make. Families and senior citizens alike will want to know that their lives will be well taken care of somewhere. The Agape Senior Lexington center will give them all of the amenities that will make their lives worth living. At this facility, we pride ourselves on the experience that we provide to our residents. The elderly folks living here will simply enjoy all that we have to offer to them. They may even would like to take a tour of the facility to see if they would enjoy it. Residents that may be suffering from various stages of dementia will be well taken care of here. The Agape Senior Lexington has plenty of staff members who are well trained in providing specialized care to those with Alzheimer's disease. There will be a number of mental activities that will help prevent seniors from losing their functionality. This will help prevent the onset of dementia and keep them spry as they have always been. Finally, it will be important for residents to maintain their health while they live here. There will be a full staff of doctors and nurses to attend to all of their physical needs. If they have complicated medications, our staff will be able to manage it for them. They can relax knowing that their needs will be met while they are here, no matter what health challenges come up for them.