Carolina Gardens at West Columbia - West Columbia, SC

STAY AWAY

Worst place ever. If you love your parent, don't even consider this place.

Good care for mom

I am happy with the care from this community. The staff is caring. This is a clean community and we like that they have a patio in her room that she does enjoy. The menu is appealing and we like the cleanliness of the community. They offer a nice menu. Activities are offered the residents that were to participate. We would recommend this community for the great value and care that is offered.

Horrendous respite stay

This was a horrendous respite stay for my father-in-law. The staff did nothing to help him, he was not showered, they did not change his soiled clothes or bed clothing. In fact, we found his wet clothing on the floor of his closet where he had thrown them himself. I even brought my father-in-law's own TV in and they never bothered to connect it up so he could watch it.

the tour ws okay

I had a nice tour of this community. Everything went well for the most part. From what I saw the community looked nice but it wasn't the right fit for my father.

Was not impressed.

We toured this community when looking for my mom. I didn't like the way it looked. It was very outdated. We went on small tour but I wasn't very impressed.

Great Community, Tour went Very Well

I had a very nice tour of this community. The director of the community was amazing. She worked very hard for us, and was great with her follow up. The community looked great, and very well-kept. It was a very nice experience, everyone was very kind. We happen to find a community that was close for us to travel too, but this is a very nice place.

Frontier Management

Thanks Carolina Gardens At West Columbia - West Columbia, Sc Visitor, for leaving us this response.You really made our day today.

Horrible Place

This place is awful. If your loved one ever gets hurt or is mistreated or neglected in this home. Good luck in trying to sue. They are the [removed]. They LIE LIE and LIE more. [removed] It is a disgrace a shame Ones quality of life means nothing to them. [removed]. IF you have a mind and have sense to get help, you will be attended to slightly they know they will get in hot water if they don't. Go somewhere else.

Friendly Courteous Staff

My father is doing very well at this community. We all know he is safe and being cared for well at this community. They have provided us with a peace of mind.They have a wonderful staff, they are very courteous and helpful. The head nurse is really good. Everything has worked out very well for us here, and we are very pleased. This is a community I would recommend, it is a great place.

Frontier Management

Carolina Gardens At West Columbia - West Columbia, Sc Family, thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. You really made our day today.

Wonderful Change

Carolina Gardens at West Columbia is a wonderful community where you always feel right at home. From the front line staff to the management team, everyone really cares for the residents and takes pride in the love and care that they provide to their residents. The food is wonderful and the options they offer are healthy and delicious. If you are on the line about a community, I highly recommend going in, touring the community and sitting down for a meal. You wont look any further.

Nice Respite Stay

My husband had a pretty good experience during his respite stay here at this community. They really provided me with a peace of mind knowing he was safe. It was a great experience. The staff couldn't had been more helpful. Everybody was very kind and caring. They do provide spot on help. It was a nice experience.

The community itself was good, but the cost was too much for my parents and we ended up having to move them to another community.

Toured

I toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. The facility was well kept and clean, and all of the staff I met seemed friendly and professional. We ended up selecting a different Carolina Gardens community, but this is somewhere I would have considered as an option for my loved one!

Physician, administration

Some of the staff is really caring and nice!
But as far as adminstration, they are not worth a crap. They do nothing but push blame from one person to another. And whatever you do, please always check and make sure your loved one is getting there medication. As i found out today, my love ones were not!!!!!! They both take blood thinners, and as of today one hadn't had there's for over a month and the other for two weeks. And not one person could explain to me why they weren't given there medication. The answer i was given from the nurse practitioner her self was" i dont have an answer, because i really dont know!!! I just suggest , if you love your parents, grandparents,ect, do keep an eye on everything with there care . because i assumed mine were just elderly with dementia, when it actually turned out that things they were telling me about certain situations at this place was actually the truth!!!!!

Be Aware!

All I can say is check out their ratings on the Medicare and DHEC websites. The Agape Primary Physician Care is one you really need to watch. Also, watch your bills closely. The same goes for medications.

Just 'alright'

My mother in law is living there, the staff is pretty good but I believe my ratings speak for how I feel about the rest of it; cleanliness, value, care services and activities all could use some work.

Pleased

Kind, caring staff. Fun activities. Friendly, welcoming residents. Good food. Safe, secure place for Mom.

Doing well so far

My loved one has only been here a short time, but so far the experience has been a very positive one. The people here are all very friendly, and doing their best to help him settle in.

Look out for Red Flags, and listen to your "gut" Feelings.

Basically, they did not tell me the truth about what they were going to do and help my parent. He received "substandard & poor care"' and legally they is nothing I can do about that. I would NEVER recommend this place. My parent went in there for physically therapy and ended up 6 feet under. His last day there, the Dr. Did not even show up to check on him and I watched my parent in pain for over 6 hours before they would transfer him out and watch him for another 2 weeks dying. Be very careful of this place, stay with your loved one or really listen to them talk about what is going on. Maybe, I was one of the few that went through this, but I did. I am only speaking from my personal experience. Even when I would ask questions I was never given the whole truth or several different answers, that should have put up a red flag for me.

Visited here on Friday. Nic...

Visited here on Friday. Nice. The rooms were good size. The memory care center was a bit dated. Could use some updates. The grounds were minimum. Not much room to park or manuveur a car. No place to walk. Not good for dog, cat ok. Too far to drive daily.

Good .. BUT !!!

Seems that MOST caregivers DO care ... just don't seem to stay around long! Some longtime folks including nurses have left. They DO have some issues with employee retention, building maintenance issues, both OUTSIDE as well as inside. Lots of employees trash outside from break times and just normal cleanliness issues that could be fixed if regularly looked at. They also seem to have "regular" issues with HOT water for patient bathing and "clean" towels. I understand they have laundry on-site ... guessing lack of employees to use it. While the meals seem to be tasty ... they ask patients for "preferences" but mostly don't follow them!

Having been in management positions all my working career, seems "someone" needs to stop shuffling paper and get "on the floor" and see what's really going on!

I fully understand this is a for profit business ... it's just that it's NOT warehousing product ... it's CARING for PEOPLE! And I still don't get the first thing you see as you go in either "main" entrance why they keep those that are bed ridden "on display"! I feel for these people and their families ... but not sure "displaying" them is really sending a message of "good care"!

Just my opinion .. but generally shared by those I've spoken with, both employees and families of those being cared for.

Great Skilled Care!

We really like agape. My mother came here for skilled care after she broke her neck. Anything that she does they tell us about. If they change her room or meds they call us right away. She is in a double room, they thought that would be better. It is only private pay. The food is really good, but she doesn't have the choices that she had while she was at her previous assisted living. The staff is really friendly, couldn't be any nicer. My brother goes to see her and says that she is doing great! They have singing and bingo and have people come in and do stuff with the residents,

May be spreading itself too thin

This was not my favorite, actually, somebody shared some things with me that maybe they shouldn't have done, but I just heard some things that weren't good. I heard that there were people that had left there and would be glad to share with people why they didn't like it. They said that Agape was getting into every sort of care that there was and they were getting spread a little thin instead of doing one thing really well. I didn't get that feeling when I went and toured, but they were the very first place I went to so I didn't know what to look for, but hearing from people who had been there really helped me make a decision.

I didn't go on an official tour. One ...

I didn't go on an official tour. One of my former pastors lives here and he showed me around after I had lunch with him. He likes it here and it was more on my way to work so that would have been more convinient but as I looked around Lexington I thought that location would be better.

I wouldn't put anybody there!

Everyday there was someone new so my mom never got to know any of the caregivers. I wouldn't put anybody in Agape. It was clean but the administration was constantly moving. My mom moved out in May and they were supposed to reimburse her for part of it and she still hasn't gotten any money back. It was a fight to get anything from them. She was on the verge of being diabetic there. The food is just not what my mom needed. I told them numeruous times that her doctor said she needed a specific diet and they didn't do anything about it.

Salesman is really good

I have been a little disappointed and concerned with Agape. They do have a menu for what meals will be served but come time what is being served is not what was on the menu. When I call to bring up an issue no body calls back even after leaving messages. I literally have to go to the community to voice a concern. I just want my loved one to be happy and do not feel we should have to worry about anything. The salesman (admissions) is extremely good and really made me feel like this was the right community, but now I doubt it was. I am disappointed with Agape and will be looking for alternatives.

Agape Senior West Columbia is located in West Columbia, South Carolina. This beautifully landscape retirement village is situated on a large lot with well maintained buildings. We are known for providing quality care for seniors. We strive to hire only kind, courteous, and knowledgeable staff. Caring for your loved one is our number one priority and we would love to have the opportunity to discuss your specific needs. We are a friendly retirement community that also offers assisted living for seniors who require a little more assistance to go about their daily activities. We offer special care for seniors who are struggling with AlzheimerÆs. We do our best to make life as pleasurable for both the senior and their families. Amenities include: fun and stimulating activities onsite, transportation offsite for any needs seniors wish to purchase, an indoor commons area where seniors and family members can socialize, and quality and healthy meals are provided.