Harbor House in Wheeling, IL, is dedicated to serving individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders. It is our mission to provide a residence in the least-restrictive, safe environment that affords a quality of care beyond all industry standards. It is our philosophy to show respect for the dignity of the individual resident in all areas of physical, psychosocial, spiritual, and emotional life by providing choice and promoting high self-esteem through purposeful activities and a supportive, loving environment. It is our intent to provide a housing option which allows individuals with dementia to remain in a residential environment as long as their abilities allow.

We appeal to the needs of persons experiencing memory loss, impairment of functional abilities and other cognitive skills by responding with life-enriching programs and environmental adaptations. Our programming creates opportunities for pleasurable life experiences, which engage residents of all ability levels. It is our ongoing challenge to promote residents’ independence while upholding our primary responsibility of resident safety. Our residents can feel the warmth of home and experience individualized attention in this “Safe Harbor.”

Harbor House provides best care

Harbor House is a wonderful home for those loved ones needing more care than can be provided by family. Our mother was at Harbor House for 16 months. She became a part of the family and received the most compassionate care. The staff is dedicated, thoughtful and loving. We feel very fortunate to have found Harbor House. It was a very good choice for us and our mother.

A good tour!

Our tour of the Harbor House went very well. The facility was clean and well maintained. The tour guide was knowledgeable and friendly. It was a good tour and thy answered all of my questions as well as give me good information.

Knowledgeable tour guide!

While touring the Harbor House, I thought it was a very nice place. The community was clean and had a nice appearance. The person who took me around had a good presentation of what they had to offer. It was a good experience.

My Father is Well at This Community

So far everything is working out pretty well for my father with his move to this community. It is a good community, and I know he is being provided with good care. The staff is pretty good, they have been attentive, and helpful. I'am satisfied with all they have done for us.

Harbor House review for memory care

Dad has been a member of the Harbor House family for a little over three months. In that period of time, all of the staff from Administration , physicians, health professionals, and care takers have been amazingly supportive and communicative. Every one I have encountered over the months has demonstrated professionalism and a sense of caring my family has not encountered in other assisted care situations. They work hard to foster as much independence as possible with a tremendous amount of respect and dignity. The staff's ability to effectively deal with the behavioral issues that commonly present with memory loss is unparalleled in my family's experience. They are a role model for the community in this regard. Knowing that Dad is receiving great care, and it is of great solace for me and my family. We feel blessed we have found this home for Dad!

My husbands care.

I am happy with the care that my husband received here. The staff was nice and very kind and patient. The community is very clean and taken care of. They have activities that are offered to those who want to participate. We would recommend others to this community for great care.

A caring community for your loved one

My mom has been a resident of Harbor House for 8 years. I have found the staff at Harbor House to be very approachable. The daily caregivers take good care of Mom and are very kind and loving. The nurses and directors are conscientious and also very caring- they have let me know of any changes in my mom's health or all being. It is reassuring knowing Mom receives such good care.

A God Send!

My mom was in a big, fancy, expensive nursing home where she was neglected, fell down in the bathroom with no one helping her, and had half of her stuff taken by either the residents or the staff - we still aren't sure. Caring.com put Harbor House in touch with me and from the moment I spoke with Savannah, the executive director, I knew this place was special.

Savannah actually did the assessment at the big, fancy, expensive nursing home. She confirmed what I already suspected about my mother's care at that place. I decided to move her out of there and over to Harbor House. Savannah actually drove out there with me and helped move her stuff and my mom (I was visiting mom out of town).

Over the next few days, I got a very up-close look at Harbor House and how the staff interacts with their residents. I popped in at unexpected times and walked through the adjacent buildings. I never saw a deviation from the excellence of care I saw the first time - not even once. I never saw residents mistreated or spoken to condescendingly, like I did at the other place. The caregivers are amazing women. I wish I could remember all their names because each one of them deserves a shout out.

The nurses are really hands on. Sam spent tons of time with me, discussing my mother's medications. The doctors call you and I spoke with her for an hour! I couldn't even get the doctor at the big, fancy place to return my call!

The place is small and it's warm and cozy - like a previous commenter said, it's not like an institution at all. It's like a home. My mom has an adorable sunny, private room with her own bathroom. She's always got someone there to help her.

All I can say about this place except is that it's exceptional. I have learned that big, fancy nursing homes are usually understaffed and can't manage the needs of their patients. This place CARES for their patients. I don't need crystal chandeliers and big lobbies. I need individualized care with people who treat the elderly like the human beings they are. Harbor House does this. The owner of this facility needs to be very proud of his staff and his philosophies. I hope they never change. Amazing place.

Great Place

My husband has either Alzheimer's or Lewy Bodies with Dementia and we have been through several facilities since March of 2014. They have been the high end to not so nice but because of behavior issues most places will not take that patient. Harbor House has been wonderful. At the time they took [Removed] in all he wanted to do was be able to walk around. Harbor House was designed to let him wander around the building and if the weather was good he could also walk outside. The staff is very caring.

The perfect fit for my mom.

I have been very happy with my decision to place my mom at Harbor House. The staff and other residents have become like friends and family. I believe the small community provides more personalized care for the residents. The houses do not seem at all institutional, they are very cheerful and cozy. The staff does a wonderful job caring for the residents. The rooms are cleaned daily, laundry is done weekly. Mostly, I feel that my mom is safe there and that gives me great peace of mind.

Harbor House Memory Care

I would say it's one of the best out there. My husband has been there for over 5 years. Staff is mostly attentive, loving and caring. The new Director (there almost 2 years) is incredible. Love her! Under her administration, the facility services and care have continued to improve. She truly cares about the individual clients and their families. One aspect I really appreciate is the philosophy to decrease meds whenever possible instead of always increasing meds!!! The small homelike nature of the facility is a benefit. It's easy to know all of the staff as well as the other clients and their families. HH team is responsive to client and family needs. Communication from staff and director is excellent. Director, as well as Nursing staff are always available for questions and concerns. Food is decent and abundant. Daily activities in house 1 and 2 are fairly good and consistent. Not so much in house 3. However, the team does a great job hosting holiday and family events. One gets a sense that the team really cares!!!!!!!!!! The new facility owner came in last year and has implemented several cosmetic upgrades. There is NO place like home. But, if that is not an option, as it is not for many of us, I would definitely recommend Harbor House for your loved ones.

Great staff

The staff is amazing. Savannah and Becky fill in and do what needs to be done. Its great to see everyone helping out where needed. I feel the facility is running so much better since Savannah took over and I can't say enough about Becky and the rest of the nurses. The caregivers are top notch.

I have worked in healthcare for 19 years. I have seen many, many facilities that offer short term & long term care. I am in awe at the care Harbor House offers. This is a small community that goes above and beyond the call of duty, this is a family.The staff from their caregivers, to cooks, to Activity Director, to Exec. Dir to Nursing staff are all hands on. The level of professionalism is exemplary. I have first hand witnessed the love that is shown to their residents. Families are very involved and this is encouraged.The communication and interaction with families is vital to providing a safe, stable and successful environment. They look past the disease and disabilities and see an amazing and inspiring soul. I have spoken to families who have struggled placing their loved one in an appropriate setting and once they found Harbor House they were able to experience peace about their decision. This is not an easy journey to watch your mother, father, sister, brother, spouse or friend decline not only physically but mentally. This facility embraces what their residents can still do and enjoy, it is not about the "can't". I give my deepest regards to all who played a part in this place called Harbor House.

Tidy and clean

The staff here is very good with the residents. They are caring, patient, kind and very skilled in dealing with the Senior's here. The activities are appropriate for the residents and they really seem to enjoy them and the staff. The facility is always tidy and clean when I have visited.

We love it.

We love it. We haven't had any complaints about food, or activities, or anything so far. I think they were pretty competitively priced compared to others that we looked at. I would give them a five, they are pretty good.

Very nice. Small houses based on mental ability. My Mom is not a candidate for this type of place yet. Still more money then we have.

Harbor House was okay.

Harbor House was okay. We have since moved mom somewhere nicer, and I can definitely tell the difference. This wasn't bad, but the food is better, and it's nicer, and bigger, at the new place. So this just gets an okay.

My mother has been in House#1 for 2 months. The staff is gifted dealing with dementia patients. The home is the nearest thing to being in a house-clean and cheerful.The outside grounds are beautiful and add to the feeling of freedom and yet safe for everyone. The administrator is young well versed and full of compassion. After a very long search I am so thankful I researched so many places and I know she is in the best place.

Good care, very friendly staff

We're pleased with this place so far. I'd give the staff a 10 out of 5 if I could, they're just great. This place is also priced very competitively compared to others in the area. My loved one does not like having a roommate, but unfortunately that is how the rooms are arranged here, and it is one of the reasons they are able to price it the way they do. If given the option to search again we'd have no problems selecting this place again.

You should tour this facility

We toured many different facilities in our area. There are many positives at HH (Harbor House) that you will not find at other places. They have 3 separate houses to accommodate every stage of the disease. If the disease advances, your loved one can be moved to the next house for continuity of care. The surroundings are familiar and the care givers are aware of what is needed. My mother was in another home (we were unaware of HH at that time) and they could not handle the advanced stage of her illness. HH allows the residents to live with their disease. If they want to go outside in the summer they have a wonderful fenced in area. The care she receives at HH allows us to live our lives without worrying all the time. We know she is taken care of in a safe, clean, well run facility. The care givers are trained and understand how to deal with all stages of the illness. The other facilities did not seem to have the patience to deal with Mom. Their solution was to call a family member. At HH we can visit Mom at anytime of the day or night. We are thankful each day that we found Harbor House to care for Mom. It is her home now and she is happy.

We are so Thankful we found Harbor House for Mom

My mom is not one of the sweet little Alzheimer's ladies that sits iIn a chair and becomes withdrawn. My mom is extremely active. She walks all the time. Moves things around and is very busy. Harbor House allows her to be Mom and enjoy the quality of life, the little bit she still has.
After having been kicked out of one place and looking at countless more that basically told us that Mom is too active for them. We luckily found Harbor House. Mom is at home there. She can go outside and go from house to house safely and securely in a fenced area. Mom lives in the third house. There is a courtyard she can walk around inside again allowing her the mobility she wants.
The staff is wonderful with all the residents. They have amazing patience and they are very kind. While my father was still alive they would help him also, every time he came to visit Mom. I can go see Mom at anytime day or night and I am always welcome. I visit about 3 times a week and the staff at Harbor House has become like family to both Mom and me. Any question I have gets answered, any help I need is always done. My only wish is that they would take Medicaid when private pay runs out.
Our plan hopefully is to not to ever have to move her from there. I have peace of mind knowing Mom is so well taken care of.

Either love it or hate it...

Either love it or hate it. I did not like it, although the outside patio was the best one of all--really home-like.

Executive Director

I'm glad you enjoyed our outdoor patio, our residents enjoy it too! I'm sorry you did not enjoy the building, we are very small and home-like which doesn't appeal to everyone - but more importantly we provide excellent care! Best of luck in your search and please let us know if you need anything!

I liked this place very much. It is s...

I liked this place very much. It is still on my maybe list.