Gracious Age - Sanford, FL

Great people, great "homey" feel, great care!

When I first visited my parents were in another facility we were not happy with. My 16 yo daughter and I dropped by un-announced and were met by a great staff. [name removed] showed us around and introduced us to some of the staff, including one of the owners, [name removed]. Upon leaving my daughter stated "this is the place" . My wife, daughter and I returned again, un-announced, and received the same greeting and very friendly treatment. We decided to move my folks in and could not have been more pleased. The staff was attentive, helpful, patient and caring through all the illnesses and tribulations of dealing with two dementia and Alzhyhiemers stricken patients. My daughter passed suddenly and the staff was very helpful and understanding in keeping the "secret" of her passing as not to devastate her grandparents, father passed second and [name removed] and [name removed]and their staff could not have been more helpful and supportive of my family and my mother who was devastated and lost with out her husband of 62 some odd years. Mom became ill and was hospitalized briefly and was released to hospice care, [name removed]and his team stepped right up and along with [name removed]cared for her till a very peaceful and quiet end.

Getting the Care He Needs

So far, our experience with Gracious Age has been pretty good. My loved one seems to have adapted well to the change. I feel that the staff is helpful, and the owners are extremely friendly and knowledgeable. The price was good, and I feel confident that my loved one is getting the care he needs.

Would definitely recommend

My mother and father have a room there. They are happy there and the staff is nice. I live out of state and drop in out of the blue as often as possible. Their room is always clean as well as themselves. The place is very homey. They have a great bright room. It is such a weight off my mind knowing they are well cared for. There are activities but my parents don't really participate.

Full-tilt boredom

Don't expect more than a bed and three meals a day. The staff seemed to only be there for a paycheck, or, they are so under-staffed that there is minimal personal care. Mattresses are old and worn. Bed sheets are so old they are ready to fall apart. There are no handicapped bathrooms so if you're in a wheelchair, good luck. There are no towels or soap in the bathroom. There's nothing to do there....full tilt boredom. There is no large common area for recreation unless you're a smoker and you'll need to go out on the patio/deck for that. Their so-called activity room is no bigger than 16' x16' and doubles as the dining area but they cram 16 people in there, all in wheelchairs, for meals. If you can walk, there is a larger dining room upstairs. You better have your own cell phone because the common phone for residents is always tied up and you won't be able to make personal calls with any degree of privacy. The food is OK but I"ll eat anything. Broccoli soup is incredible. They won't serve bread and butter with a meal either.
It's over-priced for what you get. You could rent a condo on the beach for about the same price.

Not for us!

This community needs some upkept done. The area is crowded. The staff seemed to only be there to get a paycheck. I would not choose or recommend this community.

Love it!

Great people!! very friendly.