Generations at Ahwatukee - Phoenix, AZ

Generations at Ahwatukee - Phoenix, AZ has yet not published prices.

Mixed Feelings

My Mom and Dad moved into Generations at Ahwatukee shortly after they opened in September of 2017. The facility is attractive and the apartments are attractive too. But even during the move in process it was clear that staff were confused and poorly trained. No one properly oriented my elderly parents and weeks after moving in they still did not feel that they knew who to go to for questions. My questions often went unanswered or I got conflicting information.

My Dad passed away shortly after moving in and my Mom needed care. The care was inconsistent and medical management services were often alarming or inconsistent (med safe in the room left open) or pills not given or reordered on time. The promised housekeeping was minimal and my Mom was often distressed about the state of the apartment. My Mom passed away in her apartment and we were distressed to find that we could not locate the DNR. Subsequently the paramedics were called and it was hard to watch them put my Mom through the resuscitation procedures.

We had at least one meal a week with my Mom and often more. We found the food mediocre and sometimes poor.

The billing, financial record keeping and clarity about move out fees was confusing and inconsistent.

It is a nice building and apartment but I could not recommend it to a loved one again.

My experience

This is what happened to me living there for 3 months. On my second day they wanted to do my laundry and I agreed. My laundry load was whites and when I got my laundry it was all purple. Apparently, the person who did my laundry was not schooled in washer/dryer stuff. Yet this person was a caregiver..

I need to mention that I have a rare brain disease and I have to be stringent with my medications. I get them at 8 am and 8pm. I have rarely gotten them on time. Even thought it is well known to the "med techs" that this is crucial for my health. My doctors fax things to them and they insist they didn't get it (bs) Med techs should know something about meds.

I went without heat for 4 days. They are inept. I cant tell you how horrible that was. 5 people came in to look at the thermostat. They don't tell me anything. They just don't care. It should not have taken 5 days to fix it. I had to threaten to move out if the heat wasn't on by that day.
We have lights in the bathroom that are motion sensors. Almost everytime I took a shower, I did it in the DARK. I know other people here have had the same problem. I call maintenance and the guy comes up and in broken English he says something like "you need another switch." That was the last I saw of the guy. I am currently still taking showers in the dark.

After not having one med for 2 weeks or more, my doctor faxed an order. No one checks the faxes. Yesterday after 3 -4 weeks I finally got it. That med helps me bring down my blood pressure. I have had 4 mini strokes. Living here has raised my blood pressure. They cause my blood pressure to go up. I thought I would be safer here than at my home. Not so. I feel worse physically living here.

They think I am exaggerating about my illness. They NEVER get my meds on time.
Another thing, they have brought meds here that were missing some. I have to check the pill container myself everyday. I feel I am taking care of them!!! Why would they deliberately not do what they are paid to do??

They have failed me miserably. Now I have to rent a home just to feel safe. I have to pay for a nurse because I need care and no one cares here.

One good thing is the food. It is so delicious! Kudos to the chefs. Other people tell me they take a shower in the dark also. I am sorry but the first month was $6200.00 and I have to say for that money these things need improvement. THEY REALLY COULDNT CARE LESS.