Fox Point - McHenry, IL

The room sizes were good! More like a true apartment. Residents seemed to be enjoying themselves. When talking with residents the only complaint was the food.

People were friendly. But it was very run down in appearance. They have all that property and its overgrown. Carpeting looks like the original. It was a lovely building when it was new. I was there for an event. Very disappointing.

Very beautiful and clean facility

I took a tour at this facility and I liked it a lot. It’s a new facility so everything is updated. The staff was very nice and helpful. I wasn’t able to try the food but I saw that they had a lot of options available to choose from. The building looked sterile almost with how clean it was; everything looked beautiful. They had a few activities and even gave us a schedule with everything they provided. Ultimately, we decided against moving my Mom in due to the pricing.

SLC Midwest

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Clean, friendly staff,very nice.

SLC Midwest

Thank you so much for your feedback. We would love to hear any additional thoughts you have on how we can create a five star experience. Please feel free to contact us directly at our community phone number!

No complaints

The staff have been accommodating. The food is good they offer healthy choices and have good sized portions. The community is clean and the grounds are nice. There is a nature preserve across the way. The community allows pets and they have some apartments with a walk out for your dog. I would recommend this community.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback; we appreciate your review of Fox Point!

Fox Point the best choice for us

We had a very good experience with the Marketing and Welcome staff. The move in went very well because of the helpfulness of the staff.
Unfortunately, Mom's health was not good and she was only able to stay at Fox Point for a week.
The business manager was very accommodating and provided us with some financial relief because of our short stay.
I would recommend Fox Point to others in the family.
I only wish Mom could have enjoyed all that they have to offer.

SLC Midwest

Jim, thank you so much for sharing your experience at Fox Point. We appreciate your feedback and we are honored to have cared for your mom, if even for a short time.

Comfort and Kindness

This is a great community for care. The staff is wonderful and caring. I like knowing that she is in a clean community with a nice environment. The menu is very good with a lot of variety. They have great activities that she enjoys with the other residents. We would recommend this community for the care of a loved one.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for sharing your recommendation of our community! We appreciate your confidence in us and we're proud to provide our residents with a 5-star experience!

Nice Tour of This Community

i had a very nice tour of this community. Everything went well, and everyone was kind. From what I saw the community looked good. Everything was nice, and clean. The staff I met was friendly, and my questions were answered. The experience was a good one overall. This was not the facility for my mother, but my tour went well.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for sharing your experience at Fox Point! While we're disappointed that we weren't the best fit for your mom, we're so pleased that you enjoyed your visit at our community!

We liked it until she moved in

Mom has been having a hard time adjusting to living at this community. The residents do not seem friendly and the staff are not engaging. They do offer some activities that she has started to participate in. We are hoping things may improve after she has been here a little longer. The community is clean and the food is great. They have a nice sitting area outside overlooking a garden.

SLC Midwest

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback! We want to provide the best possible experience for every resident and family at Fox Point, and we're sorry to hear that the adjustment to her new home has been difficult for your mom. Please reach out to our Executive Director at [removed] and we'll work together to help make your mom's transition easier!

Fox Point: A great place to live.

My brother and I were very impressed with Fox Point the first time we went there to check it out for our sister who has Alzheimers Disease. We moved her in on July 1st. 2017. She is doing well there so far and we are pleased with our decision to move her to Fox Point. I would recommend Fox Point to anyone who is looking for a nice place for their loved one.

SLC Midwest

Mary, thank you so much for sharing your experience and your recommendation of our community here at Fox Point! We appreciate your confidence in us and we're so pleased to provide care for your sister!

Depressing environment!!

I was not impressed with this place what so ever and would not want my mother living in this type of environment. During my tour I had just noticed that it was a really depressing atmosphere and the residents in the memory care unit where just kind of left not doing anything. These people need to be treated like people not items.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that your visit at Fox Point did not live up to the expectations we strive for. It’s important to us that we make this right, so we invite you to reach out to our Executive Director at our community phone number. Thank you again for your input, and we look forward to hearing from you!

Tour for care

We toured this community for care. We did like the staff who did answer the questions that we had on the care that is offered. the community seems clean and the variety of the menu was appealing. The room was not what we were wanting and she did not want to have a small size room. We would suggest that other families tour this community for the care of a loved one.

SLC Midwest

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! We appreciate your feedback and we're so pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us!

Such a positive experience!

We found Fox point through A Place for Mom. They were a tremendous help and offered so many resources and support to my brother and I. I truly appreciated all of their help! We are so happy with Fox Point. The atmosphere here is so friendly and it truly feels like a community. People are always going downstairs to gather at the fireplace and socialize. It was everything we were looking for as far as proximity to family, cleaning services, and overall atmosphere.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for your review; we appreciate your confidence in us!

Providing My Mother with Good Care

My mother is hanging in there, but overall they are taking good care of her, and her needs. This is a very nice community, and I'am satisfied with all they have done for us. They have a great staff at this community, and they are caring for my mother very well. I know she is receiving great care. The community is well maintained, they do a good job with the cleanliness of the community. I have no complaints about this community, and I would recommend it.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for your review and for your confidence in us! We appreciate your feedback and hope that if you have any concerns, you'll reach out to our Executive Director. Our goal is to be a 5 star community, so please don't hesitate to share any concerns or suggestions that you feel would enable us to achieve that goal!

Lovely Facility!!

I have no complaints about this community and the tour I had taken for my loved one, in fact this was one of our top choices. They had a great memory care unit which was what we where looking for. The staff had great interaction with the residents and seemed to be very attentive to all of there needs, The price range was just a little out of our budget.

A Learning Transition

My mom is doing good. We have been there since November and still finding our way. The staff are helping us to understand the community. I have been learning things about the amenities and activities. We picked this community based on the proximity to family members.

Not right for us!!

This community is in the middle of nowhere. When you look out the windows all you can see are fields and trees. It has as much or more to offer than the community we chose. The person we met during our tour was nice and helpful. This community was a little larger than what we were looking for.

Everything Has Worked Out Very Well

My aunt is doing very well here at this community, it was a hard transition. We are overall pleased with the care they are providing her with. The staff is great, they have been very kind and responsive. She is getting involved in the community and trying some of the activities they offer. She has gone on some great outings. The food is good, they do serve well balanced meals. They do a very good job with the cleanliness. This community is a perfect fit for our family. I would highly recommend it.

2 Week Stay

My mom stayed here for a short time, she wanted to be home. The staff did their best to get her comfortable and accommodated her needs as much as possible. There were a little bit of activities that she tried out. The care and safeness was provided during the time.

Nice staff and facility, poor understanding of ALZ.

Our father, in mid-stage Alzheimer, was at this memory care facility for two weeks. The staff was friendly and seemed to care for the residents. Unfortunately dad had repeated issues with the staff related to his conduct (his behavior, according to several sources including the Illinois Ombudsman, was/is VERY typical behavior for ALZ patients).

We received the call to remove him from the facility on a Tuesday afternoon and was told he could not return. Needless to say that led to a scramble to figure out care for him while we searched for other facilities. That seemed unconscionable to me. After touring several other facilities and speaking with several in the industry they all agreed that his behaviors are typical and Fox Pointe's handling was not how quality care facilities that have proper policies/programs in place operate.

If you are considering this facility do so with an understanding that they are not designed to handle typical ALZ behaviors.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed to hear that you did not have a more positive experience at our community. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience further to learn more about how we can continue to work toward best-in-class service. I can be reached directly at [removed] or at [removed]. Again, thank you so much for your time.
Sincerely,
Timothy Braband, Executive Director

Great Experience

The sales manager was great. She was very patient and gave us all the information and time we needed. The intake nurse was wonderful as well and she makes an extra effort to make sure everything is going well with the residents.

A Fantastic Experience

Everybody I have talked to there was very, very friendly. I do not know where they could improve, they do a good job in all areas. From the first time I walked in the door, they make you feel very welcomed and my loved one is happier than we all thought she would be. It has been a fantastic experience.

Very homey. If it wasn't out of budget, would be number one pick.

doing a fine job

At Fox Point they seem to be doing a fine job. It is very expensive but they are taking good care of mom. The staff are very cooperative. It seemed to me that the lady that was in charge there got a new job so now there are new people. It makes me wonder how much that goes on. So I do wonder about the turnover rate. Sometime there are some staff that are unavailable and tending to other residents and there is only one staff left to attend to the crowd of residents. That isn't a big concern and is only for about 10 minutes length of time. Everybody seems very caring and loving and patient. They are even really patient with her husband that comes to visit. My hats off to them.

Mother Is Happy There

As far as improvements, I do not think that they need any. All I can really say about the facility is that my loved one is very happy there at Fox Point, so that makes all of the family members happy as well.

My mom has been at Fox point a little over a month now.

She is very positive about the whole experience. Her exact comment - "How could you not like it, they do everything for you."

From my perspective, she is still making the adjustment from living in her own home, but continues to have independence and autonomy while living in a positive caring environment. This is a plus for her and her children.

I think she's very happy there.

I think she's very happy there. Communication is good, no complaints about food so far. We haven't really had any concerns or complaints, at this point. I think she would like a little more activities, but I think that's just her.

It was a very nice community.

It was a very nice community. The kitchens in the rooms were much larger than at other places. Everyone was so friendly.

Fox Point

We are very happy that my mother has decided to live at Fox Point. She is safe now and has been able to enjoy a lot of social interaction with other residents. Her medical needs have been addressed. All of the staff members have been very friendly and helpful.

We were looking forward to going to F...

We were looking forward to going to Fox Point before my mom became ill, but never made it. We were very disappointed because they went back on their word in telling us we would be receiving a portion of our money because my mom was not utilizing their services, but when she didn't move in after being released from the hospital and rehab, they went back on their word.

SLC Midwest

We greatly appreciate your four star review of our community, but are disappointed to learn that your mother did not have a better experience while residing at our community. It is our top priority to deliver the best quality services and care for our residents. We would like the opportunity to resolve any issues you may have had with payment. Please contact me directly at [removed], so that we may further discuss why we failed to meet your expectation and how we can improve the quality of our services going forward. Sincerely, Todd Tedrow, Executive Director of Fox Point.

I am so glad we found Fox Point Mano...

I am so glad we found Fox Point Manor. My mom was in memory care. All the staff was warm, caring and kind. I can't say enough about them! They did an outstanding job attending to her personal, mental and health needs. She always was treated with dignity and respect. We too felt part of the Fox Point Manor family.

This was just OK. My Dad pu...

This was just OK. My Dad puts this third on the list. Not sure why, he didn't feel 'at home'.

Number 1 Choice - Kelly is ...

Number 1 Choice - Kelly is great and enthusastic. She talked to Mom and really listened to her. Focus on integration to population, showing common areas, laundry, fitness center with big windows (treadmills included) and salon. Smelled Good! Liked the layout of the apartments, brightness, lots of windows, protected patio for sitting outside, ability to walk. Like the safety and security - have to check in and out, if not at breakfast someone is knocking at the door. Very impressed with evening activities which are important to keep Mom busy and motivated. Had lunch at the facility and nice to have dietary needs met. Lots of activity, ability to take residents to church is a big plus. Like the indoor parking garage and ease of driving in and out of the facility and being able to take back roads in to town. Need to update the information sheet - no walking trails.

It was GREAT, dad and I both liked th...

It was GREAT, dad and I both liked the size of the community, more intimate, director that showed us around was well informed, two bedroom two bath was great, friendly enough place, relatively affordable, NUMBER ONE SO FAR in our search.

Very nice, like this very much will b...

Very nice, like this very much will bring my mother in law back to Fox Point

We liked very much.

We liked very much.

Dad can spend the night!!! nice, apar...

Dad can spend the night!!! nice, apartment and studio, no outdoor space

Loved this place.

Loved this place.

Fox Point Independent & Assisted Living and Fox Point Manor Memory Care is located in the Heart of the Fox River Valley in McHenry, IL. With a quaint downtown district that offers historic buildings and specialty shopping, along with a variety of dining, life at Fox Point in McHenry offers a small town feel in a growing community that’s just an hour away from Chicago, IL.

With studio and one bedroom apartments at Fox Point and Spacious suites at Fox Point Manor, residents enjoy many great amenities including weekly light housekeeping, delicious healthful customizable chef prepared meal programs, flat linen service, on-site library and so much more! Fox Point Independent & Assisted Living offers levels of healthcare service, allowing residents to age in place. Residents are cared for in a secure and safe environment.

Senior Lifestyle is proud to honor its heritage. Since 1985 Senior Lifestyle has been a family owned business. Our dedicated and caring team of professionals are highly motivated by our mission to enrich senior's lives today and tomorrow. Our resident's enjoy exceptional hospitality services in a fun and relaxed environment. We understand your needs might change and we are committed to ensuring that you or a loved one receive the services and care you deserve. If you share our values join our family today.

The city of McHenry, Illinois, is about an hour away from Chicago and sits near the state border to Wisconsin. This suburban area features many parks and wooded areas as well as shopping districts and recreational hubs. Seniors retiring in this area can choose assistance from multiple personal care facilities, including Fox Point, which helps with meals, housekeeping, health-care needs and more. The McHenry area offers plenty of enticing activities, while the close proximity to the city ensures access to major attractions.

City Info

- Walkability: McHenry earned a walk score of 26 out of 100, meaning some form of transportation is necessary for most outings.

- Population: The city is home to about 26,700 people, with a median age in the late 30s. About 19 percent of the population is 60 or older.

- Weather: McHenry residents experience warm summers and chilly winters, with summer averages in the 70s and winter averages in the 20s. The most precipitation occurs in August. Compared with the national average, McHenry has much lower pollution and better air quality.

- Veteran Services: A Veterans Administration clinic is located in McHenry on Municipal Drive. McHenry County has a Veterans Assistance Commission, which assists with a range of services. Lastly, the city has a local VFW Post 4600 where members play bingo and host dinners and fundraisers.

Transportation

Seniors in McHenry, IL, have access to several excellent transportation options. The staff at Fox Point provide complimentary transit to residents, and the city provides travel training to senior citizens to ensure residents feel comfortable using the different forms of regional transit.

- Shuttle Services: MCRide Dial-A-Ride provides curbside service Monday through Saturday. Seniors pay a discounted fare of $1.25 for the first five miles, and $0.25 per each additional mile. For a donation of $1 (if funds are available), seniors can ride the fully accessible McHenry Township Express on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Residents need only call ahead to either shuttle to schedule their trip.

- Bus: The PACE system operates four bus routes in McHenry County. Seniors 65 and older are eligible for discounted bus passes by registering with the Regional Transit Authority.

- Train: The Metra rail system runs from McHenry to Chicago and offers low-cost weekend passes.

- Taxi: Cabs are also available from multiple companies, including Black Cab Taxi, McHenry Cab and Sunshine Taxi.

Health and Safety

Fox Point provides basic health-care services and has an on-call nurse and doctor. The facility also has available specialists for podiatry, dentistry, physical therapy and more. Seniors requiring additional care will find many qualified professionals in McHenry.

- Geriatric Care: A local geriatric specialist working in primary care is Syed Hassan, M.D. Within seven miles of McHenry, at Crystal Lake, are another doctor and physical therapist who specialize in geriatric medicine, Dr. Susan Crowe and Allison Johnson, PT.

- Primary Care: Centegra HealthSystem operates multiple locations in McHenry with different specialities, such as internal medicine, psychology, cardiology and immediate care. Seniors can easily locate providers and specialists in McHenry through the Mercyhealth system.

- Hospital: Urgent medical problems and surgical needs are addressed locally at Centegra Hospital-McHenry on Medical Center Drive.

- Crime: McHenry ranks lower than the national average for both violent crime and property crime, especially for burglaries, auto theft and arson; however, trends show higher than average incidents of sexual assault.

Sports and Leisure

Residents at Fox Point can enjoy on-site activities coordinated by staff. Those who wish to socialize and play sports in the community will find a range of senior-friendly activities.

- Chapel Hill Country Club: Active seniors with a love for sport may want to obtain a membership to the Chapel Hill Country Club, which features an 18-hole golf course, tennis facilities, a swimming pool, events and dining.

- Golf: Seniors can enjoy a friendly round of golf at McHenry Country Club on N. John Street. For extensive game play, they may want to visit Boone Creek Golf Club, which features a 27-hole course.

- Tennis: Free tennis games happen locally at Knox Park and Petersen Park. The Knox Park courts are lighted, so residents can play any time. Nearby Crystal Lake features indoor and outdoor tennis at The Racket Club.

- Fishing: In the warmer months, seniors may enjoy fishing at the numerous local parks, including McHenry Shores Beach, Rotary Park and Walsh Park.

- Fitness: McHenry Recreation Center offers group fitness classes and a wide variety of exercise equipment with a discounted rate for seniors.

Shopping and Entertainment

Downtown McHenry offers three districts of dining, shopping and engaging attractions to meet all types of interests. Residents looking for outdoor scenery can stroll along Riverwalk, a landscaped riverside path. Otherwise, they may enjoy Main Street and Green Street for local fare and boutiques.

Shopping: McHenry has several shopping malls, such as The Shops at Fox River and McHenry Commons, as well as numerous independent retailers.

Entertainment: In Johnsburg, a 10-minute drive from McHenry, is Raymond's Bowl and Entertainment Center, which has open bowling and leagues. Residents may also want to visit area attractions like the outdoor drive-in theater at Golden Age Cinemas, the Volo Auto Museum and the nature preserves, such as Glacier Park and Veteran Acres Park.

Religious Facilities

Fox Point provides devotional services to residents. Seniors seeking church membership can choose from a range of denominations. Local churches include First United Pentecostal Church, First United Methodist Church, Joyful Harvest Lutheran Church, Maranatha Assembly of God, First Baptist Church and St. Francis Mission.

The city of McHenry, IL, features a selection of businesses, specialists, churches, attractions and parks to meet all the various needs of aging residents. Families seeking short-term stays for their loved ones can use respite services from facilities like Fox Point. For full-time residents, seniors are also assured continued care with services such as hospice, allowing seniors to stay in their homes as their needs evolve.