Forest Heights Senior Living Community - Winston-Salem, NC

Welcome Home to Forest Heights Assisted Living and Memory Care of Winston-Salem! This community is devoted to a higher standard of living for seniors who need assisted living or the security and structure of memory care services. We have raised the bar in the assisted living industry by providing unsurpassable care. In addition, our living quarters are spacious, warm, and inviting. We have a variety of floor plans, from a small private studio to a one bedroom apartment with a kitchenette, to choose from. We provide first rate dining services as well as an array of entertainment and activities including outings to the local mall and plays at the Barn Dinner Theater. At Forest Heights Assisted Living and Memory Care, we promote choice, dignity, and individuality, and our number one priority is the well-being of our residents.

Pleasant Tour!!

My tour of the Forest Heights Senior Living Community went very well. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming. We really liked the place but the reason we did not choose it was because of location. My parents wanted to be closer to my sister.

Disappointed and heart-broken

Have the people that have written previous reviews ever been in this facility or had a loved one living here? The attitude of the administration and staff is one of apathy. No one is accountable for their actions except for the residents and their families. The photos that appear on this website do not tell the true story. Meals in the dining room look nothing like what is advertised or taste as good. This facility's administrator is not receptive to concerns and is not willing to see that this becomes the facility that is advertised. Management at Five Star seems to have no interest in fixing the problems at this facility either. Advise anyone looking at Forest Heights to talk to families that have someone living at this facility.

Five Star Reviews

Thank you for your input, we appreciate it. Five Star Senior Living strives to deliver quality care to all of our residents and hold our staff only to the highest standards of hospitality and care. We are also striving to redefine the dining experience in all of our senior living communities. From the start, our goal has been to provide an exceptional culinary experience that gives our residents options – from decadent comfort food to healthy choices. We take great pride in our dinning staff and the menus offered, if the service has not been meeting your expectations, please reach out to our Food and Dinning Director directly at the community and voice your concerns at [removed], or you can call our toll-free GOLD Customer Service line and we will ensure your concerns are heard: [removed].

Better than most

Mom admitted with hospice care. The communication between facility staff and hospice staff very good. The meals are delicious and residents get nice selection. The personal care is very good. Difficult for me to rate activities since Mom has been unable to participate yet.

They Are Doing Well

They have done well with the meals and his care, except they forget to put on his support hose sometimes. Everything is good. I like the people there, they are nice. Most of them are very professional. The cost is very reasonable.

My Mother-in-law's new apartment

Mom wanted her own place but she has Alzheimer's and can not live alone. We considered several different options and chose Forest Heights mainly because it was very clean, safe, and because the people who work and live there seem to be happy. The seem to have their act together. We moved Mom there about 2 months ago. Mom loves her new apartment and all of the fun things that she gets to do with other people her age, and to feel like she is living independently from family but still feel safe. The staff there are very nice and are happy to help in any way they can to make her life with them a happy experience. They do a great job!

I think it's a great community, and have had no problems at all.

My mother in law lives here. I think it's a great community, and have had no problems at all. They take really good care of her. They help her with bathing, and dressing, and medications, etc. My mother in law does not necessarily participate in most activities, but they do day trips, and have shuttles to church and bingo. It's less expensive than most, but they are all pretty expensive still.

Great Family Feel Community!!

My Mom lives at Forest Heights and has now for over a year. This is her third assisted living and this is by far the best one. The staff is great and handles her needs with care and compassion. The CNA's and Med Tech's are family really, and always alert me to anything, or any changes going on with my Mom. The fact that the Forest Heights is pet friendly is huge because I can bring my Mom's dog to her anytime and they can visit. And oh the music! Lots, and Lots of music takes place. The residents sing, and even have their own group called the Foresters. Forest Heights is a first rate place, doing a first class job.
I would recommend this Assisted Living/Memory Care Community to anyone!!!

Welcoming, knowledgeable, upbeat, compassionate, every resident valued

My family and I researched and visited multiple assisted-living facilities in the Winston-Salem area. Forest Heights came out on top: truly personalized care made possible by the small number of residents, clean and aesthetically-pleasing facility, good food (no small thing when one’s life is limited), reasonable all-around pricing and, most importantly, devoted, upbeat and involved staff--from the director to the sales and business managers to the physical therapist, right on down to the CNAs stationed on every floor.

While it is never an easy decision to move a loved one into assisted living, at Forest Heights I know that my father will be well known, valued and treated with dignity by all. Staff are exceptionally responsive: they worked hand-in-hand with me and my father, down to the last detail, to make my dad's transition as smooth and stress free as possible. I can pick up the phone or email to inquire about my father and be assured of a response that very day, if not within that very hour.

There are valid, important reasons why this facility has been granted the highest ratings by the state’s Department of Health and Human Services. Professionals at FH know what they are doing and are utterly devoted to the seniors they serve. In fact, several staff members mentioned that they consider it an "honor and a blessing" to be serving people who are in the final stage of their life span. For many, working at FH is more than a mere job: it is a calling and a service. You can sense that spirit upon visiting.

forest heights a nice place to live when you can't live on your on anymore

Both my parents have been in forest heights for over 6 months now,they have been taken care of very well and the nursing the facilty has is excellent, The room they stay in is clean ,quiet and patient friendly. They tell me they enjoy the food ,the hospitality the nurses give them and also the attention they need when they need something.The only thing I do for them is shave my dad when he needs it and buy them depend under garments, liquid soap and any things might use.I would recommend this senior living facility to anyone out there.

Forest Heights Is A Wonderful Place

My mother has lived at Forest Heights for 9 months. She has some memory problems and the staff is wonderful with her. She is in a wheelchair but she doesn't 't sit in her chair all day. The staff bathe her, get her dressed, and take her to the dining room three times a day. They put her in her lift chair during the day and also help her get into bed for naps. The staff members are very kind to her and patient with her. They call me if they notice something concerning or out of the ordinary. I know my mom is treated well when I'm not there.
My mom gets her hair done in the on-site beauty shop each week and it is very affordable. She has had pedicures and manicures done also, and a podiatrist visits the facility regularly.
The dining room serves nutritious meals that taste good, and I know because I've eaten there. The dining room staff are so nice and try to please everyone!
There's planned activities every day and a wonderful activity staff. They're even able to get my mother to participate sometimes, and that's not easy.
The best thing about Forest Heights is the people who work there. They love the residents and truly care about them, and the residents love them back! That's the first thing I noticed when I initially visited before deciding where I wanted my mom to live, and I have never regretted my decision!!

I placed my great-aunt in the Alzheimer's Care unit at Forest Heights, transferring her from Skilled Nursing following a fall in which she sustained a broken hip. Although the facility, staff, meals and services as presented to us looked exceptional, I came to learn that the facility was dangerously understaffed; and my aunt's personal care and hygiene were of secondary concern. I even found other residents in her room and using her personal effects and bathroom on several occasions! The one saving grace I had was a second-shift nurse supervisor who kept me updated on My aunt's condition. Even though I was by there every day, I lived an hour away and they knew that mine was the only voice that could calm her, but they never even tried to find an alternative. She was terrified as it was with Alzheimer's; her time at Forest Heights just amplified that terror. I moved her to another facility and she died four months later, but as far as I'm concerned, Forest Heights killed her spirit. Don't make the same mistake I did. Find a facility that cares for your loved one as you would - Run away from here... Run hard, and skip this place altogether!

Five Star Reviews

We appreciate this feedback and are sorry to hear that we fell short of a family members’ expectations. We endeavor to meet and exceed expectations for all we serve. We are pleased that you had a positive experience with one of our team members and they were able to provide you with regular communication about your loved one. We are committed to putting people first and developing new programs and best practices. Input from our residents and families is paramount in our ability to focus our energy and resources in identifying and providing personalized care that looks beyond assistance with activities of daily living. Our new Lifestyle 360 program, is an example of how we are working towards being certain that we can better identify and address the spiritual needs of our residents. Thank you again for taking the time to share your perspective as it reinforces the need for this program and will most certainly benefit our residents.

Great Choice

My mom has been a patient at Forest Heights' Bridge to Rediscovery unit for dementia patients since September, 2014 and I am very glad I chose this facility. Making the decision to place a parent is hard, however, my mom made a smooth transition and I sleep well at night knowing she is in great hands! The staff is friendly, caring, and they want to meet the needs of your love one. The meals are great, it is a very clean facility (no smells), and there are a lot of family-centered activities.

A place for Mom provided me with a wide variety of choices to select from which I liked a lot. This community was very affordable for the amount budgeted, and it was a really nice community, The care was very adequate and they offered many activities to the residents. I would definitely recommend them to anyone.

Very nice place!

At Forest Heights they are really trying their hardest to provide the best service possible for their residents and for the families! If any situation or scenario arises that they are unfamiliar with they immediately set about learning how best to handle it in the future. I've been really impressed with both their intent and their diligence. And they go above and beyond when it comes to helping out family members as well! They helped me with all kinds of paperwork at a time when I was feeling totally overwhelmed!
The facility itself is clean and well kept, the staff are all wonderful friendly people, and even the food is like eating at a fine restaurant in a hotel! This place really feels like a community, and not just a "facility"!

They weren't as friendly or as clean as some of the other places

I made an appointment to come and tour here. When I showed up they didn't know I was supposed to be there. They weren't as friendly or as clean as some of the other places I checked out. They weren't great, but not terrible either.

Five Star Reviews

Thank you for sharing your community visit experience with us and your rating of three stars. While we fell short of our goal to provide an experience that would effect a five star rating, we will not fall short of using this feedback to put our value, “We work to be our Best,” into practice. We are pleased to have been provided with an opportunity to review and refine our communication and processes to ensure a more positive future visitor experience. We do hope you can visit again and see first hand how your perspective has helped us reach this goal.

The staff is friendly and very suppor...

The staff is friendly and very supportive and open to your questions and concerns. My Mom has adjusted to living their quickly and feel she is being looked after.

Felt like home the moment I walked in . . .

Our mom is thrilled to be living there. The rooms are well designed, and the building overall has a warm home-like feel to it. Lots of light, windows, and the building is well taken care of. The residents I met were very friendly and seemed eager to meet our mom. Pets are allowed, and our mom has a cat. No problem. The business and sales manager worked with us every step of the way. There were a few paperwork glitches, but none of any consequence. Both my sister and I live out of town, and we were anxious about moving mom. But she's happier now than ever. Keeps telling us how happy she is in her new apartment. The nursing staff is very attentive, and the meals are delicious. Our last experience with assisted living was a nightmare. As corny as this may sound, Forest Heights really does feel like home. I felt at ease the moment I first stepped through the front door. And my gut signaled this was the place for mom. My sister and I are both very pleased. Best kept secret in Winston-Salem.

Senior Living at its best

After touring other assisted living facilities, my sister and Immediately agreed that Forest Heights was the best place for our father. He seemed happy with the staff that took care of him and enjoyed the meals served there.

Didn't have a chance to get things stabilized

My father, with a aplce for moms help, moved them into Forest Heights and he was there for three weeks before he died and he was in the hospital for some of that time.
It was good, we had a few concerns but then again, he wasn't there all that long to get a grasp on it. There were some concerns with the nursing staff, they were generally good, but at that point he needed a lot of diabetic checks and things like that but it was such a brief, fluctuating time through no fault of them.

Forest Heights - Bridge to Rediscovery (memory care wing)

My Dad, who has progressive dementia and aphasia, recently moved into Forest Heights' memory care wing, which they call "Bridge to Rediscovery". I chose Forest Heights vs. other facilities due to its relatively small size, high staff to resident ratio, its attractive environment (much like a nice hotel), and the friendly, caring staff. It is also located ideally between my home and work so it's easy to fit visits into my schedule. The other memory care wing residents at Forest Heights seem calmer and more content than the other facilities I toured. I've been pleased with the level of attention my Dad seems to be getting and am especially happy that he is taken on weekly group outings with regular assisted living residents. He is adjusting to his new life there and seems to be responding well to increased levels of attention and activities vs. what he was getting at home with just my disabled sister as caregiver plus a part-time CNA. I am very pleased with Forest Heights so far, after 1.5 months!

Very nice