Fairwood Retirement Village - Spokane, WA

It Was Not Convenient Enough

I thought the tour we had was a good insight to the place. We thought it was fine and did not see any issues. The experience was good but the location was not convenient for the whole family.

Not a Good Choice

Buying into this place is a major purchase. But it is confusing as to whether you are leasing or buying. When we asked for a deed because we paid cash, we were told we bought a lease. No one mentioned lease when we signed papers!!! Since I have to pay property taxes, I would assume there is a title I should recieve.....nope, I was told you are leasing. If I am leasing, they should be paying the taxes!!!!

The meals are heavy on the starch, and many times the food is either over cooked and dried out or just bad. There are a few good meals. You can alway tell the good meals the staff takes home enough to feed their families.....no wonder our fees are going up!

If you plan on taking a trip, be very careful, The recreation manager is there to guide you and you are consider independent so she doesn't feel like it is her job to help the residents on the trip. The office keeps a list if you complain and then you are labeled a trouble maker.

Once your apartment is no longer needed by the family, Fairwood can take al long as they like to remodel and get it on the market........one year, two year...

I really can't recommend this place at all. It seems to me all they want is your money. If you pass and your funeral is on a weekend, it is rare to have an employee attend your funeral. You are nothing more than a commodity and can be replaced.

Not an honest place. Not only do you have to buy your dinner but also everyone that works there and sometimes their family. Maintance is so slow to get to your needs. You must pay taxes on property you "lease". They never take responsibility if something is wrong!!!! Not all residents are treated the same as they have their favorites.

Slow to Return Deposit !

My Mom lived at Fairwood for 13 years and was well cared for. The facilities and people were generally great. However, when she became ill and had to vacate her apartment in March we discovered the 15 page Residents Agreement contract she had signed allows Fairwood to retain her $117,000 deposit until they find a buyer for her apartment. As of Sept 23, 2013 it has been almost six months and there is no end in sight. In fact the CEO told me that they can retain her deposit indefinitely, and it's not unusual to have to wait quite a lot longer. The fact that they did not complete restoration of her apartment until mid-August certainly didn't help. While apparently legal, for Fairwood to continue to use her money to conduct their operations, or perhaps invest. feels 'wrong' and unethical. The CEO told me that is their 'business model'! So take this into consideration when you consider living at Fairwood.

Really, Really, like this place. Clea...

Really, Really, like this place. Clean, friendly staff. Alot of the staff they say have worked there for many years. Love the Terrace room. Have Mead HS students serving in the dining room. Rooms are wonderful. I can totally see my parents in this place. Memory ward was two to a room. Beautiful view from dining/living room area.

Really, Really, like this place. Clea...

Really, Really, like this place. Clean, friendly staff. Alot of the staff they say have worked there for many years. Love the Terrace room. Have Mead HS students serving in the dining room. Rooms are wonderful. I can totally see my parents in this place. Plus its real close to where we live, so would be real easy to pop in any time to visit.

Nice facility tour of the two homes; ...

Nice facility tour of the two homes; very comfortable discussion with the manager