Elmcroft of Sellwood - Portland, OR

Not very cooperative and accommodating

The staff here did what they should have in the care of my friend. It was also a very clean facility and saw nothing wrong with it. The only problems I had was the fact they were not that cooperative and accommodating. There were a few times that I needed help and I spoke with the front desk and they bounced me from person to person. They just didn't seem to want to help me. Also, the food was not top rate by any means and it was just institutionalized food. I would not recommend this facility as highly as other places.

Great location and neighborhood. Friendly atmosphere. Bigger room available. Good outdoor areas.

Tour for options

We toured this community. The staff was very helpful in the questions that my mom had at the time. The menu was appealing and the environment was nice and clean. The activities would have been helpful. My mom just did not find what she was looking for at the time. Families might want to consider a tour for the care of a loved one.

A place to call home.

This is a good community for my niece. The rooms and grounds are well kept. The staff is excellent and they attend to all her needs. She loves the meals and eats the great food that they have to offer. A great value for a nice home.

Very friendly and professional staff.

Our experience at Brookdale has been really positive. Everyone is very professional and welcoming. My parents have lived there now for only one month, but they seem to like it and are happy with the care they are getting. They moved from another facility that was a combination of independent and assisted living and my observation is that since Brookdale is all assisted living they are really tuned into the specific needs of the residents. This has been a very successful move for my parents.

Going really good

Things are going fine. So far, I do not have any complaints or problems with the staff or the facility at Brookdale Sellwood. Things are going really good so far.

Not Terribly Satisfied

It has all just been very loose with the Brookdale Sellwood. The plan of care, the follow-up and follow through. Overall we are not terribly satisfied with the facility. Also, the food is crappy as well.

beyond wonderful

It has been beyond wonderful at Brookdale Sellwood. The initial set up was difficult. They wanted to rush to get a certain date for move in but didn't like the date I chose. They didn't want to loose a day on the rent for the month so that was a little frustrating. i wouldn't even factor that in though because it is just excellent at this facility.

My problem is with the system

At Brookdale Sellwood I was pleased with the kindness and attention that he got from the individual caregivers. My problem is with the system. He has since left this facility to live with my brother and has made an amazing turn around. When he moved there we didn't realize he was severely dehydrated and was developing at UTI. We just thought he had dementia. The management just thought that's how he is and they said they couldn't do anything about it. I was sick a lot at that time so I wasn't able to be there as much as I would have liked to. There was only exercise one day a week. The facility is very poorly designed. They don't have one big room for the residents to gather. I think more exercise would have really helped him.

My Problem Is With The System

I think they are doing really well.

I think they are doing really well. The people are really superb. The place is clean, and nice. She likes it there. It's really social, and everyone is friendly, but the food is really lousy.

My dad is happy!

My dad has been at Emeritus for just a short time, but we have both been very impressed by the friendliness and the welcoming atmosphere. He is still settling in, and has had some unaccustomed mobility problems, but the staff have been great about checking on him and following up with medical professionals. His only complaint would probably be a slowness of service in the dining room.

They were pretty clean.

They were pretty clean. The staff was very friendly. It seems like that had a lot of things going on. They did everything what we needed. They didn’t have any activities that my mom wanted to do. Check who the chef is. They had macaroni and cheese one day , but it was just a pile of noodles with some cheese powder on top.

Emeritus Sellwood - A Great Last Place for My Mom

I have appreciated being able to speak to whatever person is responsible for the various services. Personnel make themselves available, including the individual care givers.

I am specifically pleased with their "ambassador" program, where people who live there make up the "ambassadors" who also make themselves available to help new tenants, as well as being a voice for on-going programs/services.

I appreciate that I am allowed to take part in activities with my mom, and that I have access to her 24-hrs/day (if needed).

Emeritus Sellwood is a beautiful facility.

We had some issues with them

I would say the cleanliness of the facility was fine but the cleanliness of my mother was not. They didn't give her a bath until I found out she wasn't getting one and had to ask for it. I think the cost was fair although there was $300 that was stolen from my mother's room. They claim it was because she went over the market place across the street and they must have taken it from her there but I don't believe that.

She was only there for a couple of weeks for a respite stay. She had packed all of her stuff two days before we had come back from vacation, ready to leave.

Kathy Wiggs, I think she's the director of community relations, had surgery so she wasn't there for most of the time my mom was. I don't believe if Kathy would have been on the scene I would have had the problems I did. She was a real good person and she's even been over to the house a couple of times since mom's been home. I thought that was very nice.

Great place - friendly, lots of activ...

Great place - friendly, lots of activities, good food and some amazing services for a good price. I love that families can come by and eat for free and that they will give you furniture to use, if you need it.

She liked this community. At the mome...

She liked this community. At the moment it's at the top of our list.

Tallest facility. Most urban area (w...

Tallest facility. Most urban area (which Mom would enjoy when she visits.) On busy street (SE 17th Ave) Nice residential neighborhood behind the facility.

Elmcroft of Sellwood is tucked in historic Sellwood in southeast Portland. Sellwood is filled with historic homes, abundant antique shops, and cozy coffee houses. There are many medical centers nearby and we are minutes from downtown Portland. We have staff available 24 hours a day to meet resident needs. We offer assistance with activities of daily living such as bathing, medication management, chronic disease monitoring, and pet care. We also coordinate with third party care providers which provide rehabilitation, home health, and hospice care.

We offer transportation to offsite activities, such as:

Bomber Diner
Local farmers markets
Portland International Rose Garden
Seaside, Columbia River Gorge, and Hood River
Spirit Lake Casino

When the weather is not conducive to outdoor activities, such as gardening or walking our beautiful grounds, we provide our own indoor entertainment, including:

Arts and crafts
Billiards
Exercise programs including Tai Chi
Ice cream socials and parties
Men's club and gentleman-only outings
Poker games
Relaxing by the fireplace

Our apartments are available for either single or double occupancy. All apartments have private bathrooms that include walk-in showers with grab bars and emergency call systems. Apartments feature large windows and high ceilings and some rooms overlook Mt. Hood, the Cascade foothills or the Portland skyline. Kitchenettes include cabinets for storage and microwaves and refrigerators for those days when you wish to cook for yourself.

At Elmcroft of Sellwood ,we strive to find the right balance of health, wellness and fun to allow our residents to enjoy good health and a good life among friends.