Brookdale Clairemont - San Diego, CA

We offer a home like setting and cheerful smiles from our professional staff who greet you everyday. Our caring staff offers the assistance you need while respecting your independence.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.® License #374600735

Due to licensing under new management they are not allowing residents to reside here with a diagnosis of Dementia therefore my mother needs to move.

Good value

Brookdale San Diego provides a good value for the services it provides. The caregivers are pleasant and helpful, but often seem rushed and occasionally, especially at night, response time to a call can take awhile. The range of activities is fair but the spaces where they are offered are a bit limited and could benefit from updated furniture. Dining choices and overall food offerings vary from adequate to very good.
Overall, all staff are helpful and pleasant.

I had a good tour!!

This is a nice community. The staff during our tour was nice. They only had studio apartments available for a higher cost than the community we chose. The community seemed clean. I wanted to also thank A Place for Mom for their help in our search.

A Very Short Stay

After evaluating my mom for a move into this community, the nurse and I found that it was too much for my mom to transition. My mom had help from a mentor to guide her around the community and even sat with her during a meal. The staff attempted activities to make her feel more comfortable but that did not help. I ended up taking Mom back home and I do thanks this community for their help trying to make things easier for us. It was a good try but just did not fit my mom.

Review of Brookdale Clairemont - San Diego, CA

The grounds were clean however my father did not like the hotel type atmosphere. The facility seems to be too closed in and the rooms were extremely small. The staff was friendly and the occupants spoke to the staff

Truly A Great Place

It has been a rocky experience for us so far, but that isn't due to the community it is because my friend's Dementia has gotten worse. The community is doing everything they can to help him, but I know I will have to find a new community to accommodate his needs better. Brookdale has been nothing but the best to us, and really helpful with everything. It is a really kind and caring place to move your loved one to when you need to start considering options for them. The food is great, and they offer a lot of fun activities for the residents to do. I would highly recommend this community. It is less expensive than other communities we looked at, and they have much better care than other places. It is truly a great place to move your loved one into.

Dark and dingy. Staff is great tho. Close to where I live.

Toured but did not choose

The people here seemed nice and the facility was fine. We took a tour, but we did not choose Brookdale.

nice place

It cost less then the other places we been to. It is bright and clean. The staff is real good to her. Over all it is a good place. Don't know about the activities she only been there three months.

She is happy

Everyone is very nice at Brookdale Clairemont. She is happy. We are hoping this is a good fix for her. So far so good at this facility. I have no complaints.

Visited and not interested. Thought it was overpriced when compared to amenities at other facilities.

wouldn't put my mom or dad in

I wouldn't put my mom or dad in Brookdale Clairemont. They say they will do certain things and they never get done. The care givers aren't very thorough or caring. The bathroom was disgusting when I came to visit the patient. The bed was dirty also. Any time she needed help and pushed her button necklace and it would take 20 minutes or half an hour for staff to respond. I would have to hunt someone down to get her help. For the price you pay and what you get is ridiculous. The staff is friendly I will say. They do have good activities there also, not that the patient participates in any of them. I really just would not recommend this place to anyone.

Very Accommodating

I think they were very accommodating in meeting with the family and doing the tours and explaining to my father exactly what they offered and how much it would cost. If my father doesn't want the full portion of a meal then they try and accommodate him with what he wants. All the staff seems very friendly.

The staff is extremely friendly

My sister is happy here. I think it's a fair value for the price. I think the staff is extremely friendly. The building is very accessible to visitors. The pricing for a visitors meal is a little high. The visitor parking is a lot to be desired. The facility is very clean. The care services are excellent. Overall, The Brookdale Clairmont has been a very good experience. It's a nice community. Great place.

Really good. There is tons of activities.

The Brookdale Clairemont is really good. There is tons of activities. The food is good. My loved one and I have had a great experience. This is a good community with friendly people. Very nice.

Outstanding! So Hearwarming!!!

I can not think of anything they can do to improve. Brookdale Clairemont was the most excellent place I could have possibly been referred to. My mother passed away recently and I knew that my dad would either do well in Brookdale or pass. As soon as I walked in I was absolutely impressed! The people there were all very happy, the place was very nice, and the staff was extremely helpful and friendly! My dad was watched over very well every minute of every day, and they kept me up to date with great communication. It has been so heartwarming!

So far things are good.

So far things are good. It's clean and the staff are friendly.The elevators are old, and the power goes out once in a while, but that's just the building. They just got a new computer system, and that has been a little bit challenging, but it's nice to see an upgrade, and it's settling down now.

Not the place for my Dad (or for yours)

Visited Emeritus when we were looking for a place for my Dad to live. We had an appointment on Saturday and arrived promptly. We were told that on Saturday there is only one staff person in the building (other than direct care and cleaning staff) so we met with the Activities Director. Although the Activities Director was very nice and the residents seemed friendly enough, I was disapointed by the number of/lack of supervisory staff, the strong smell of urine everywhere. Also, as we toured the building, doors to most rooms were open and we could see people being toileted, etc. I thought it was pretty terrible and so did my Dad. Emeritus was one of the first places we crossed off the list.

We enjoyed our visit to Eme...

We enjoyed our visit to Emeritus and it we were pleasantly surprised. It felt smaller than Oakdale as far as the community, but the rooms were larger and overall the place was bright and easy to get around. There seemed to be a better mix of residents and I wonder if not having memory care on the facility had anything to do with that. Laundry was included in the price where at Oakdale it was not and Cable was not included in the price, where at Oakdale it was. So it about evens out. It is definitely a place I would go back to with mom for a lunch and tour

They do a pretty good job.

If she pushes the button for assistance it can take a little bit of time. A comment has been made that it was because they were short staffed. When I first toured, I got the impression that if they buzz to go to the bathroom, they would be right there, it's not exactly like that. The housekeeping is outstanding. They have a lot of activities, and they assign you an ambassador to take you around and get you involved. They do a good job with that. The biggest problem with the menu is that there is so much turkey and chicken. If you have it brought to your room, it might not be the right temperature.

The staff knew who everyone was, and the people knew the staff.

The building was a little older, and not quite as nice as the one we chose. They were clean and friendly. The staff knew who everyone was, and the people knew the staff. This became our litmus test. Sort of the standard we were checking communities against. The food was pretty good, it was ok not five star gourmet, but good. Each room was empty, and they needed a lot of work to do things. You could upgrade the room yourself, paint them any color or upgrade them yourself.

Unexpected Charges

That place sucked. It didn't look clean, it didn't look kept up. I was paying $2500 and all of the sudden they said they wanted $4000 a month when they said that they wouldn't raise the rent more than 6%.

Mom is Doing Well

They are doing great, my mom is doing well. She has been going to do crafts and goes to play the games. She goes to church services that they have there, which is a big plus for her. She has her own room, and this is the closest community to our house, so we didn't have to look anywhere else.

Liked it Alot

We really liked the feeling of this community and are moving our mother in this month. It is bright and sunny from the minute you walk in and she will enjoy the courtyard off the lobby with her gardening. It was very clean and we really enjoyed lunch. A few residents came up to introduce themselves to us and expressed their happiness with living there. Said the food was great. which is very importatnt to mom as she was always a great cook. Also shared that the staff is very caring and so is the Director and nurse. they are hands-on and always available. We are looking forward to getting mom settled in her new apartment and having her close to us so we can see her more often. I think it will really be a good fit for our family.

Seemed like a wonderful place

My mom was only there 2 days, we all thought she could do assisted living but she had an incident and they decided that she needed skilled nursing. We liked the people and also the convinience, it seemed like there were nice activities and it would have been really great if she could have stayed and enjoyed them.
They were really great about refunding us our money and they were extremely good to us, so much so that we wanted to put my mother in law in the Emeritus at Carmel.

While the staff was friendl...

While the staff was friendly, the facility was old and in need of reapirs and updating. Parking was a problem as well.

Jeff Yeager

Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback. We understand your concerns about the facility's condition. We did have some water damage and plumbing repairs but that is currently being worked on. We've also ripped up the Activity Room flooring and it is under construction. Finally, we are undergoing several Cap Ex projects to the building as we speak. Things are being brought up to standard and will look great soon.

Also, we love our staff- many have been here for up to 20 years!

Thanks again and we hope you stop by to see the renovations!

Area was nice - Not able to accept a...

Area was nice - Not able to accept anyone with dementia.

This one looks much better than the f...

This one looks much better than the first time we visited, which was a year or more ago. The cost is affordable for us and it looks like the right size place for Dad, with enough care plus mental stimulation for his state of mind. I like their comprehensive assessment approach. Also this is a convenient location for us. They have respite stays so my Dad can try it out for 7 days before moving in. This one is at the top of my list.

Director is incredibly kind and infor...

Director is incredibly kind and informative. Place is quite clean, and the only noticeable odor was near the kitchen. Place is undergoing renovation, so a bit messed up. Definitely time for an update. Rooms pretty small except for limited few. Activity, Elvis, was well-attended. Limited outside area, but safe. Faces extremely busy street. Good access to Scripps. Respite rooms available for spending a week to see how she likes it. Carmel Valley branch gets 4 out 5 stars on medicare site.

My husband, my sister and her husband...

My husband, my sister and her husband joined me on this tour. The location is convenient. The Director was not available so rather than wait, another staff member took us on tour. She was nice and helpful. The dining area looked wonderful as did the menus! I liked the fact that the respite rooms come with a phone and cable as both of those are important to my Mom. My only concern is the ratio of "helpers" to residents. The person that gave us the tour said there were 3 on staff. I would definately consider this property if/when my Mom needs to be placed.