Edgewood Downs - Beaverton, OR

I scheduled my tour on a Wednesday morning -- that's field trip day so between that and doctors appointments, I only saw one resident while I was there. The "alcove" apartment has a very efficient use of space. There are two stories, rather than three, and two elevators, so no rush hour waits at meal time.

Although there are no balconies, there are raised beds and ample opportunities to garden. The dahlias and tomatoes grown by the residents were huge! Food is served here, rather than buffet and there are three meals a day, with fruit and drinks available. The main meals are nutritionally sound and residents have ample choices.

With the exception of my tour guide, who could not have been nicer, the staff were pleasant enough but did not really engage. There are activities, and residents are driven to Washington Square or across the street to a community pool.

Both Edgewood Downs and Rock Creek are owned by the same company and are located on busy streets, making them easy to find but residents will have to walk a few blocks to a residential area to really have a nice walk -- there are walking groups though, so security isn't an issue.

Edgewood is next to a school but the backside where buses park is closest to the apartments so noise is not a problem. However, morning and afternoon pickups with traffic and honking might be a turn-off for some.

Where this place shines is the age-in-place the a la carte menu of options, that are discounted because the third-party provider is on site, allowing residents to stay much longer than they might otherwise.

Like the other places I toured, there are games and activities that could fill a person's days from morning til night, and a well-thought-through library. Both staff and residents stay a little longer here, which strengthen the support structure.

Great first Impressions!

We recently moved my father-in-law to Edgewood Downs. While it has only been a week, he is very, very happy. The staff has worked hard to ensure he has settled in, is making new acquaintances, and learning his way around. They have answered all our questions, followed up promptly and been very responsive. The unit was clean and bright, he loves the food and we are resting easier knowing he is in a safe home.

[Removed]!

This facility seems like a warehouse. The man who was giving me the tour made me feel like I was interrupting him. The facility is gray, the colors are cold, and the people seemed cold. They said they offered activities but I didn’t see any residents involved in anything at all. The facility seemed empty. In fact, I didn’t see any residents or any other employees. This place just felt very strange. I would not recommend this community.

An Energetic, Upbeat Community

So far Edgewood seems like an energetic, upbeat community. There’s a good diversity of age groups here, and the staff seems very attentive and helpful. My brother says the food is really good, and I think they have good facilities for activities. My brother is having a bit of a hard time warming up to the change, but the staff seems encouraging. I’d recommend this community to others.

Perfect fit for Mom

I'm so glad we chose this community it is a smaller so mom won't get lost. The staff are very helpful and extremely caring. The price was right also. It always smells good in there and clean. The grounds are well maintained. The food is good but they do run out of the good stuff first then they just have to go with the alternate option. She enjoys many activities like crafts, bingo and movie nights. I would recommend this community to anyone looking.

Terrible!! No matter what they promised they didn’t deliver. I went 5 days without food. It took 1 ½ hours for each meal. No movies, no bingo, no library. Only bright spot was the bus driver. They paid me $50 cash to keep me quiet.
Calaroga is the opposite. They provide everything that makes this is a home. Always going the extra mile. I have tried to participate in all of the activities. Too many. Great staff!!

I Like It Here

I chose this community a little over 3 wks ago and I am happy with this place. The staff is friendly and caring. The food is good and the place is kept clean. They have many activities here and I plan to join the walking group. They also have music entertainment the is enjoyable. The courtyard is nice. I would recommend this place to any of my friends.

Beautiful Facility

Edgewood Downs is a beautiful facility. They have their independent and assisted living quarters separate. It is a very large community. They have done a lot of upgrading in the community. We chose another community for our loved one that was smaller and closer to our home.

A great place

Dad likes the food. They have a happy hour twice a month and he seems to enjoy this. The community is clean and the grounds are well maintained. The staff have been helpful and they are great. They offer weekly housekeeping for his apartment as well as transportation to doctors appointments and the grocery store. I would recommend this community.

We Were Able To Keep Mom Close

This was the only community that we toured before making our choice. It was an easy choice we couldn't have asked for a better location it is only about 5 minutes away from me and my sister. The staff is wonderful here always happy and friendly very attentive to the residents. Mom is doing activities and making new friends. The food is not great. We would recommend the community to anyone.

Fitting In Very Well

Even in all the turmoil of having to clear out and sell my house I am enjoying my new home. The community is wonderful and I am fitting in very well. I love meeting and making new friends. At the moment I am not doing all the activities that I want but once I am completely settled I will be. The staff is wonderful extremely nice and very involved with the residents. The food is very good and the chef is open to suggestions about different things they can offer to change the menu up. The only thing that I don't care for is there is no outside access to your apartment no patio or balcony which I was hoping for to do some gardening which I enjoy.

A nice home

I am happy at living in such a nice community. The staff is always helpful when I need assistance. I am glad to know that they about the atmosphere here. The menu is very nice and I like the variety. The have a lot of activities that are offered to participants. I would recommend this community for good care and a great value for others.

Great place!!

Moving into this community was probably one of the best decisions I could have made for myself. I could have never picked a better place to live and would highly recommend it to anyone. The staff have all been amazing and have met my needs in every way they possibly can. They have a great activity program and I very much enjoy the social environment with the other residents.

So far so good!

From what I have heard, my mother is doing great since her move to the Edgewood Downs. It is a very nice place. My mother seems to really enjoy the meals that they provide there. She has been going to bible study and craft classes since I have been encouraging her to do so.

Wonderful Assistance

We were desperate to find a Retirement home for my mother. Having never dealt with this before, we were lost. Senior Advisor was wonderful and Linda [Removed] was a God send with helping us research and locate a place within mom's price range, close to us and with a nice clean location. Edgewood Downs is great, wonderful staff, good food and clean. Thanks for the assistance!

Great Experience!

I am happy overall with the facility but somehow just does not meet some of my needs. I suffer from Insomnia and don't get to bed sometimes til 3:00AM or so and to have to get up early for breakfast and a specified lunch tie is hard for me since I have to sleep in sometimes. I also find that I miss the choice to be able to prepare my own meals when I don't feel like eating what is served. Staff are great and helpful and I made some wonderful friends!

Outstanding Staff !!

The staff have been absolutely amazing to my mother, this is a new experience for all of us and this community has made it very comfortable for my loved one. The meals are very well prepared for the seniors, they are never to salty or spicy and have lots of flavor. I really appreciated that the administration would bring my mothers food up to her bedroom when she was to sick to go down to the dinning room.

It's a wonderful place

The physical site at Edgewood down is beautiful, bright rich colors with the physical building in good repair. The staff at Edgewood downs could not be more helpful. The staff is well aware of their rolls as managers, housekeepers, and resident. Edgewood downs is a wonderful place for our elderly friends and family to live within a supportive community. My husband continues to ask me when we can move into edwood downs, haha.

A Wonderful Place To Be

This is truly a wonderful place to be, we are extremely pleased with everything they have done for us. So far my mother is doing very well here. It is a spotless facility, they do a very good job with the cleaning. The staff is great, I haven't had one problem with them. She has friends here at this community, so she enjoys spending time with them. The food is good, they serve nice meals. I know she is safe and receiving great care. This is a community I would recommend.

Its All Okay

My mom is living at this retirement community. It seems like she is doing good here. It has not been easy but I'm sure she is transitioning into this community. Everything seems okay and it seems that she will have good days.

A Positive Experience

This community has helped my mom become physically better! She is eating more and the food is very good. My more has been more positive because she is able to join in many activities and be social. The staff are friendly and welcoming. The only issue we have had is with the bus driver who has cancelled 3 times in the past month. Otherwise, it's been amazing and I truly like all the help A Place For Mom has given us to get liable resources.

My Father In Law Likes It !!

My father in law has really adjusted well to this community and he really likes it here. This community looks lovely, everything is nice and clean. The staff is very helpful and friendly. They do offer good activities when the residents are ready to participate. He enjoys the food, they do sever nice meals. Overall everything is going pretty well and I would recommend this community.

Super happy with Edgewood Downs!

I toured several communities before we made our decision. My Mom's main concern was feeling safe, and she tells me all the time that she feels safe at Edgewood Downs. She loves spending time both in her cozy apartment and in the common areas. It's a good feeling to know that she always has people around, the other residents and the staff. She enjoys the balanced meals provided for her and loves that she doesn't have to cook or clean anymore. She likes going on the shuttle to the grocery store and she loves listening to the live music that is provided occasionally. We are very happy with Edgewood Downs.

A successful move & Safe place for Mom

I was given a list of 6 places that seemed to fit what we were looking for the area where we we were hoping for. One of the places met our needs for her & came in at a price we can handle. So far 1 week today my Mom loves it &his aleady feeling more at home then she thought she would. The comfort it gives my Mom, myself, brother & other extended family & friends is wonderful.

Thank you also for your great articles & support! She is loving it & we are thankful she's in a safe place-!

needs handicap accessible bus

Edgewood Downs needs handicap accessible bus. They need lifts on them. She doesn't go on tours or outside due to this. I've been happy with her being there. She said she is tired of the food there. She said she is tired of chicken breast and wanted dark meat. So, they started cooking with dark meat more. I thought that was very responsive of them. Overall, things are good here, but I would like to see them get a handicap accessible bus.

they could not use the bus

The value is fine at Edgewood Downs. But when were were looking for my parents we knew they had a bus to transport the residents and I assumed this bus would have a lift because mom uses a walker. Once we got them into the facility we realized they could not use the bus for transportation to go anywhere since there is no lift. This was really upsetting to me. The activities there aren't great either, all of them are kind of the same. The dinners are kind of light my dad doesn't seem to get enough to eat!

Representative was not ready for our scheduled appointment. The representative quoted a price $200 more than APFM. The facility lacked power assist doors, not sure how folks with walker get in and out on their own. The courtyard for sitting is more of a dog park grass with very little landscaping.

One Resident's Testimony, after 14 months.

I have been living in Edgewood Downs Independent Living Retirement Community for 14+ months now, and am LOVING my time here. What I appreciate most from all of the Holiday Homes is that each resident can participate in as many or as few activities and events as they choose. I call Bingo each Wednesday. I am also an Ambassador for our community and get the opportunity to explain our community to guests.

About Edgewood Downs in particular, I recommend to folks considering our community that they share a delicious meal with us, and take a "sense" of the room. In our case, we have a very friendly group of residents; we enjoy each others' company; we look out for each other. I love the STORIES each resident brings to the community. The wisdom from residents is awesome. We have great fun with the bingo; with bean bag baseball; and with our various activities. We have had musicians, magicians, singers, all sorts of entertainment. We have had a Valentine's Day dance; a Kentucky Derby Day hat contest.

We have great transportation for health care and shopping. We have an Independent company available to provide home health care as needed.

Please come visit our Community and join us for lunch.

No outdoor options or cotta...

No outdoor options or cottages. Ok- but not as nice as other places. Across from Harmon pool. Met with

Edgewood had everything we were looking for

I found Edgewood to have everything needed for my Mom. We were looking for something about half way between Hillsboro and West Linn and easy to get to. Mom has been there only a five days so she is still in the honeymoon stage so to speak. She seems very satisfied with her choice, even though she had to make some very hard choices in downsizing into a studio apartment.

The people that live there seem to be out and about most of the time, no matter what time I have stopped by. From a Super Bowl Party to Bean Bag Baseball, Dominos, and Cards. I saw residents walking their dogs, coming back from an outing and playing cards on the computer in the library.

We were encouraged to stay for a meal on our tour, but Mom was too tired to stay so we came back on a Saturday when my brother could also join us. The presentation of the food and service in the dinning room was very nice.

My Mom loves roses and was excited to see a rose garden in the court yard. I am hoping that she will feel up to going out in the coming spring to walk the grounds, but if not there are some very nice areas to just outside and sit.

Very nice. Mom liked the p...

Very nice. Mom liked the pictures on the walls in hallways. It has everything she needs. Phil & Cheral where great. Need ti find out if they have wi-fi there. Best part is Moms church is already sending a bus on Sunday Mornings, and Phil & Cheral are going to become members of the same church. That is a real pluse.

Exceptional place!

I really don't think that there's anything that they can improve on given the full host of services they have. Even though it's independent living, they do have a home health care company on site so for example, several weeks ago I stupidly broke my foot-one of the reasons I chose to live here was that it was near my doctor- so I called an ambulance, they took me to the doctor and I got a cast. I rented a wheelchair so now one of the home health aids helps me take a shower.
We have a gourmet chef that prepares meals and the meals are portionally appropriate, you can ask for small or regular and the other beautiful thing they do is the biggest meal is at noon and then we have supper which is like a lunch for dinner so you don't go to bed bloated. The food is excellent, the staff is very friendly and the residents are very friendly. Even though I'm probably 20 years younger, the stories they share are so wonderful. We have a lady that celebrated her 100th birthday last month and she still goes to bingo, we play bean bag baseball and she still gets a couple of home runs. Another great thing they do is once you decide you want an apartment and you have a specific request on how the apartment is set up they'll accomodate it. All you have to do is ask for something and if it's within reason they're willing to do it. A light bulb went out and their "maintenence engineer" Graham came in and immedeatly replaced it.

Managers gone wrong

I moved my grandmother in 3 years ago. For the first year everything went well. Her room was always clean, the staff was cheerful and dependable, the managers were devoted and really cared for the residents. However things have changed for the worse. Over half of the original staff has left due to corporate bullying. The service in the dinning room is barely up to par. The food is tolerable. My grandmothers room is clean enough (I guess).

Another thing that saddens me, They will take on people who do not belong there. This is an independent living! A good majority of people that the have newly taken in are at a higher level of care, wich is frustrating for the people who live there and have all their wits about them. The most concerning thing is.....Why can't this place keep a manager for longer than 5 months? Just when these people get use to one and feel secure....the suddenly gone. Wich is always disturbing to the residents. However it gives them something new to talk about in the dinning room.

My favorite so far! Need t...

My favorite so far! Need to ensure they will have an alcove apartment ready when I am ready to move in

Very nice community feel, everyone se...

Very nice community feel, everyone seemed to watch over everyone else, like having a lot of brothers and sisters. Management very hands on and one on one. Director was very easy to talk to, made you feel really at home. Seemed to me like a place that when you walked in from the main doors you could say you were home, not just when you opened your apartment door.

I was impresed with cleanliness and g...

I was impresed with cleanliness and good food. Rooms provided ease of use and were sufficient.

Tucked away in a quiet corner of Beaverton, a major suburb of Portland, Edgewood Downs offers you a relaxing, beautiful home situated in the heart of it all. We’re across the street from Red Tail, a world-class, year-round golf course, and minutes away from Washington Square, Oregon’s biggest mall.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind