Canfield Place - Beaverton, OR

Canfield Place

We toured Canfield Place for my brother, and I though the facility was very nice. The guy who met us and guided us on the tour was also very nice. However, the facility was way out and away from family, stores, and other places, so we opted for a community closer to us.

Very Stable Family Home Community

My dad is doing great and quite happy at Canfield Place. The people there are wonderful. What really made them shine is that a lot of staff have their own families living there. The sales director has been there since they opened 20 years ago. The volunteers either have or had family members living there. The food is great and they serve you at your table restaurant style. If you don't like the special, they hand you a menu to choose something else. Breakfast is cooked to order. My dad loves his room. He has a huge studio where he is very comfortable. He has a ground floor unit and those units have two doors. One door has access to the outdoors to their own patio area. I love the busy atmosphere of seeing the residents out and about doing things. There is activity and socializing going on everywhere. The even got my dad to join the exercise class. It is close and convenient for me to get to on public transportation and makes it easy to visit my dad often. It is a warm and cozy smaller community. It is easy to get to know everyone here, more of a family home feeling. I'm quite pleased and I would definitely recommend this community to others.

Worth Every Penny!

Canfield Place is doing a great job. It is a very good fit for my mom, she is much happier now. The staff is very friendly and caring. The communication is great. They always keep me informed and call when something unusual happens. They are always looking out for her and her well-being. I feel secure knowing that make sure she is following the doctor's orders on her care. They make sure she has her hearing aid in. They go above and beyond to make sure she is taken care of, and they are very thorough. I've eaten there a couple of times, I think the food is great. They have an alternative menu if you want to choose something else. They have great choices. They have activities and they encourage the residents to participate. The exercise director has invited her to participate in exercises at a level that she participates in. She has gone down to movie night and they have social hours she likes to participate in. They offer transportation for outside excursions. Definitely a warm and inviting atmosphere. Outside it is nicely decorated in the back area with gardens and a fountain. I would highly recommend this community to others.

Beautiful Place to Live

We have only positive things to say about Canfield Place. They have great activities and things to do if one chooses to participate. He did not wish to participate and did not feel pressured to do so. The housekeeping is excellent. The staff is very friendly. It is a beautiful place and well maintained.

Touring the Community

I liked this place when we had the tour. I thought they were a good community. We had a good lunch with them and the finally choice came down to my mom. It was based on how they interacted with her. It would have been a good pick and I saw nothing jarring. It just wasn't the right fit for her.

Canfield Place IS the Greatest!

I am the sister of the reviewer who commented that Canfield Place is “Not the greatest”. I visited my Mother almost daily and spent four to ten hours a day with her during her five-month stay. None of my three siblings have had a “hands on” relationship with Canfield. My relationship goes back to 2009. I have visited friends there weekly and have volunteered there for nearly four years. I was so impressed with the care my friends received that I felt very comfortable encouraging my Dad to move there. He, too, received excellent care. I have met many satisfied residents and their family members. As far as the complaints my sister mentions, they are not valid. Not being present in the situation, she has no idea what the facts were. The staff members are kind, patient, helpful, caring people who work very hard to give these wonderful seniors the care they deserve! My sister has very little clue of the truth of the matter, and I would disregard this rather negative review completely.

My Visit To The Community

This community was our second choice. It is a lovely community. The staff we met were nice. They allow pets and offer daily activities.

All about family

Canfield treats my parents as family. In just a month (probably less) they knew their needs, their activities, their routines and their family. My dad was recognized as a veteran, my mom joins a daily exercise class and has made a walking friend. There is always something gong on that they can be a part of. They are also allowed their independence as a couple. Parents are happy and so are we, the family members! :)

Very impressive, larger community, clean. Higher priced.

Mom's Care

This is a nice community. The staff does not stay in touch with family as much. They keep changing times for my mom on the spa and hoped for her to have set schedule. They need a little work on the cleaning. They have good activities that my mom is happy with. I would recommend this community for other families.

Not the greatest.

I have two reasons to be concerned. My mother was allowed to bring her dog with her when she moved in. The dog is old, blind and incontinent. She was then asked to remove the dog, understandably. The dog was removed, but then for some reason, the dog was allowed to return. Mother is unable to tend to the dogs needs and cleanliness is a huge problem. Lately, Mother has not been going down to have her meals because she feels too dirty. Missing meals! That is a huge problem. Allowing the return of the dog? The big problem. Stringing Mother along has been a divisive issue for the entire family and I feel Canfield has been complicit in this situation.

Chelsia Hart

Thank you for your comments. We work with every family to find the best solution for their loved one. This particular matter is best discussed with us directly. Please contact me as soon as possible.
Thanks,
Lauren Spangler, General Manager

Mom Has Not Complained Once!

I have recommend this community to others based on the fact that they are amazing at what they do. My mom really loves all her meals. The staff are all very nice and extremely helpful in showering ,dressing, and giving medications. I visit daily and joined in one of mom's activity which was an open discussion about privacy and they offer activities like movie night and exercise class. The community is always clean with an open grass yard with cement pass for those with walkers or wheelchairs.

My Mom is very happy with them

My Mom is very happy with them. They are doing a great job and doing very well with her. She likes the staff and the building and so far we do not have any complaints that I know of.

Professional Staff

I thought the way they handled everything was great, I thought they were professional about everything. My loved one has dementia and he would be scared if someone died though and he wouldn't walk to certain places, and I don't think there was anything they could have done about that.

Elite Staff

My wife's grandmother lives there and constantly receives top-notch care and attention; the people who work there treat the seniors as if they are their own family members.

The activities are great with the calendar constantly being filled up, the on-site exercise program is excellent and even when my wife's grandmother decides to either skip a meal or eat at a later time, the staff checks in with her to make sure she is OK, even offering to bring food to her door.

It's not the most luxurious assisted living home in the area, but I can't imagine anyone would get better care elsewhere - the staff here is just as good as it gets.

This place was nice but I feel it was a bit high in price for what you get the down side is no kitchens in the apartment. The out side seemed small for them to walk around and garden was small. Not close to mall would need to drive or get ride..

excellent

They really do an excellent job. The food is very good and the people are all really nice. I really can't think of anything they can do to improve. My wife is currently living at Canfield Place and is quite happy and well cared for. it was a good move.

An excellent choice for you or your loved one

We selected a place for my parents that we would enjoy living at ourselves. The dining is flexible; the selections are plentiful as well as delicious and the servers are gracious and caring. This caries over to the rest of service staff and administrators. It's a place we feel safe in and know my parents will enjoy.

very friendly and professional

We have had a very good experience with Canfield Place. They get to know everybody's name (the residents and the families) and call them by name when they come in. Very warm, friendly, and personable. They are very friendly and professional. I would highly recommend them.

difficult

My mom was not there for very long. She was only there for about two weeks. The staff there was very nice during that time. The aids were very patient. It was a difficult experience in ways because my mom got very ill shortly after getting there, so they never got to know my mom, and she was never able to get used to it. My mom used oxygen 24/7 and I would have expected them to have been a little more educated in the use of oxygen. On three occasions I showed up and she had no oxygen on. I would not recommend anyone on oxygen to go there, but it might be good for people in other situations.

Olivia Drury

Thank you for your feedback. We wish we'd had the opportunity to get to know your mother better before her passing. She was a lovely woman and we enjoyed her company - if only for a short time. We are actively looking into your concerns over her oxygen delivery and welcome the opportunity to improve our service in that regard. We wish you and your family the very best.

Nice place. They are really willing to work with us.

keeping mother-in-law busy and happy!

My mother-in-law has done more here than anywhere else and is very happy here. Food is good, good communication with the staff, etc.

A new place to call home

The facility is currently under construction which somewhat effects the overall look but the facility offers positive aspects. The staff is very friendly and personable and immediately within a day learned my dad's name and recognized him and engaged him. My dad was also encouraged by the staff to get active in groups sessions and group activities. What really stood out for me was how soon after moving in my dad began calling it home.

It has been a very difficult transition.

We have had no changes, since the initial assessment, and now they are telling me that the memory care is more than they can handle. They started a six week remodel, very shortly after we moved in, and they didn't mention it until I was signing the paperwork. It's a rough transition as it is, and the remodel very disruptive. Their internal communication is an issue. They have had a little turnover too. I love the staff, and Jennifer is great. If you have someone with memory care, you may have to ask more questions, and make sure they can handle the needs. I worry about the salt content in their food, there seems to be a lot of frozen and preserved foods. They just lost their chef and the new one is not as good.

Olivia Drury

Thank you for taking the time to review Canfield Place and I want to apologize that your experience was not 100% satisfactory. We take our resident and family feedback very seriously and it is vitally important to the improvement of our community.

During the sales process we work hard to get to know our prospects and family members and make sure that we can meet their needs before getting too far along in the process. We get our Health and Wellness Director involved so she can take an active role in making sure it is a good fit for everyone. Our company values doing the right thing and we would never move someone in that we didn’t think would thrive at Canfield Place. The reality is that sometimes it is impossible to know how a new resident is going to do in a new environment. We do have a Guest Services Manager / Move-in Coordinator that works very hard at making the move as seamless as possible. She helps with the transition to Canfield Place and helps to orient our new residents and make them feel welcome. Most communities do not have someone in this role and it has worked very well over the years.

We currently have a remodel underway that is scheduled to conclude in two months. While it is an inconvenience for everyone, it will be beautiful when it is completed. There are many items to cover and questions to answer on a tour so it is possible that some of the details of the remodel were missed. We are very excited about our new chef and have confidence that he will do a great job. We cook our meals from scratch and take great pride in exceeding our residents and family members expectations. Canfield Place has been known as having some of the best food, not only in the senior housing industry, but the entire Beaverton area. We invite you to come in and try for yourself.

They are clean and the staff is friendly. The food appears to be really good.

They are clean and the staff is friendly. The food appears to be really good. I was walking the hallways, and looking it over by myself. Several residents stopped me and asked if I was thinking of moving my parents here, they told me they liked the place themselves, without prompting from me. That said a lot. We haven't been there long but so far things look good.

A hard job made easier

I was looking for a place for my father whee I thought he could get involved and meet new people and everyone was so friendly and helpful and I was impressed by the activities they offered for the resident. The rooms are very spacious and my father thought his rooms quite beautiful.
Overall I am very happy with the experience and the eventual out come with the help of A Place For My Mother and the people of the Canfield Place. Thank You

I would recommend it to anybody, Jennifer is great!

This place was great, but she fell and broke her hip and going through all that surgery sent her deeper into her dementia. It started out really good but she was already on the dementia downhill path and then the fall just made it worse. After that we put her back at canfield thinking maybe in that familiar environment she might be more willing to work on her rehab.
The care was good, it was just hard. They were amazing, their activity director, Jennifer, is amazing, I really mean that. They have stuff all the time, I think everyday there was some sort of activity where you could leave the building if you wanted to. Then they had, once a week, a big activity, a movie, a drive, a trip to the pumpkin patch, whatever it was they always had something. She always did games in the building and she was really good about going and getting my mom and getting her to join. It was really nice, it was small and it's not so big that they get lost. It's funny how older people get like middle schoolers with cliques, I'm sure it's like that in other places also but it was funny. My mom did like it there and she felt safe there, I wish we could have stayed.

When you visit our retirement community in the Highland Hills neighborhood of Beaverton, you’ll notice something unexpected the minute you walk through the doors. You can see, hear, and feel the energy and vibrancy of our community. The lobby is bustling, people are laughing, and friends are chatting. Some are planning outings to Sexton Mountain or Cooper Mountain Nature Park, while others are grabbing coffee before they go shopping at Washington Square Mall. Canfield Place feels like an active community because it is an active community.

Our philosophy of premium customer service translates into an experience that feels more like you’re on a permanent vacation, and less like you’re in a retirement community. The atmosphere is warm, friendly, and inviting—whatever our residents need, our helpful staff is ready to deliver.

At Canfield Place, we don’t just care for people—we care about people, and want to help our residents get the most out of their retirement. Want to plan a movie night? Invite your family. How about a game of poker? Stack your chips. Dinner in the city sound fun? Hop on the shuttle. Whatever you want to do, whatever your interests are, we can help bring them to life in this next phase of life. The Washington Square Mall is easily accessible whenever residents feel like making a shopping trip. The community's features include a bistro, a library, a common computer area, private mailboxes, and complimentary laundry service.

At Canfield Place, a fun, adventurous retirement is there for the taking. All you have to do is make yourself at home.