Summerfield Retirement Estates - Tigard, OR

Nope. Small, old and not what we were looking for. Not enough activities and it didn't have full kitchens.

The regular contact was out the week I toured, but the fellow who showed me around was personable and answered my questions. There are perhaps not as many activities on-site as other places, but it comes with a membership to Summerfield Clubhouse, where there is a golf course and an outdoor pool for the summer months.

Some apartments have patios and balconies, and they have the larger alcove studio that I like. Three meals a day are served, and should a resident nap past a meal, the Concierge can arrange a sandwich or salad. If gourmet food is important, you should pass on this place. The food is simple and homey -- I was not impressed with the nutritional content of menu included in my packet-- too many sandwiches served with fries, pigs in a blanket, and starchy low-cost dishes. Lunch is the main meal here, which I think is a great idea.

Pets are not only tolerated but welcomed enthusiastically here. Residents decorate the door to their apartment and I saw several decorations that indicated that a beloved pet also lived there.

I was shown the theatre, which was empty, and a few activity rooms which were quiet. A class of some sort was being held adjacent to reception, and the people in it did not look particularly happy -- perhaps because they were so exposed by the lack of privacy and I was gawking at them. Summerfield is planning a renovation and they plan to make more "rest areas" and "activity rooms".

There is much to like here. The prices are reasonable and almost everything is included. Certain things do happen at certain times, but there's an obvious effort to adapt the facility to the residents rather than the other way around. At the same time, Summerfield has more a feel of a hotel rather than a community, at least in reception. It may have just been my experience but the lady I gave a happy "Good morning" to when I entered did not respond, and none of the residents I smiled and made eye contact with returned my gaze. And yet the rooms and hallways are so happily decorated! I'm not sure what to make of that. I left at lunch time and the residents I saw in the dining room were sitting quietly and not talking as one might have expected. Again, the "open floor plan" of reception leaves the residents "exposed" to tourists, as if they are at the mall, rather than in their home.

As I said, almost everything is included here. WiFi is available in common areas only, and there is a computer area. But if you want Internet in your apartment, you'll have to order that yourself. The rooms are already wired for it.

As for location, it's a lovely neighborhood, set back a block or so from Pacific Highway, which can get busy. Like the other places I've toured, there's ample parking for residents, but at an additional cost.

The reasons I'm giving Summerfield four instead of five stars is the "exposure" of the common areas, which they are in the processing of renovating, and lacklustre cheaped-out menu plan for the two weeks that were included in my packet. If they hired a professional chef with some nice specialties, even for just the main meal of the day, and backed off on the fries, I'd give it 5 stars.

Nice, Homey Feel

I am really enjoying my time here at Summerfield. I feel like there are lots of activities here, and the people are friendly. I'm getting involved in the exercise classes, and bingo games, and they also have live entertainment here among other things. The meals here are alright, and I like that they don't have very strict timeframes for mealtimes. I love that my family is close by, so we can visit often. My apartment is also beautiful. I'm on the second floor, and I have a patio that I like to go out on to watch the birds. I love the nice, homey feeling of this community, and I would definitely recommend it to others.

Great view with Wi-Fi included in rent

I thought this facility was above average. The rent includes things like the heating and cooling, housekeeping, 3 meals a day, Wi-Fi, and laundry services. The facility is in a great location with a great view that lets in a lot of sunshine. It’s very open and spacious with great walking areas. Unfortunately, for the price you pay, the apartments are a lot smaller than other places and the kitchens are not big at all. I would recommend this facility.

Beautiful Community

Summerfield Retirement Estates was a very nice community. It was nicely landscaped and looked well-maintained. The staff was friendly and helpful. We chose another community that was closer to our doctors.

Mom's Care and Comfort

I like that my mom is doing good at this community The staff is nice and caring.The menu is really good and she likes the nice menu. The staff are wonderful and have been able very helpful on her move in. The room is nice but needs small improvements. They have good security. I like knowing that she is happy here. She would like to participate in more activities and they need to be updated. We would recommend this community for the good care for other families.

I love it here

The food is wonderful and the housekeeping is good. They offer numerous daily activities that I have enjoyed. The staff have been very helpful. I have made friends and the community is close to family. I am glad I made the move here and I would recommend it.

Great Environment for mom

The care at this community is outstanding. The staff are nice and caring to her needs. The community is clean with a nice positive environment. We like the healthy meals that are provided. I like knowing that she likes the activities for her to participate with the other residents. The community comes highly recommended for the great care and value for other families.

Yuckkkkkkk

This place is terrible!!! Stay away. The food is terrible, the management doesn't last long and they don't care about the residents. Everything is old and dirty.

Sunshine

Thank you for taking your time to share your concerns with us. Every opinion matters, however, we are surprised because most of our residents rave about our community. At Summerfield Estates, resident and guest satisfaction is our highest priority and we take all feedback very seriously. We invite you to call our Chief Resident and Community Advocate Dick Glaunert at [removed] so that we can learn more.

Great staff!

The staff have been wonderful at helping my loved one make a smooth transition into this community. They have helped with making accommodations for him to be comfortable and enjoy his new living experience. They have a great activity center for all of the residents to enjoy together and keep busy throughout the week. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Care for mom

We are very happy with this community. The staff is very caring and helpful to her recent move into the community. The food appears to be good. They are offering activities for her to be involved in time. The community is very homey and clean. We would recommend this community for other families for the over great care and value.

First Impression Not Good

I stopped by for a tour but I didn't like the feel of the community when I walked through the door. The guy who helped me didn't seem to really care to help me as much after telling him I was touring only. I never got a chance to look at the community, he didn't have time to give us a tour.

A Good Place

The experience has been good for us. The staff do a pretty good job keeping the place clean. Meals that are served taste good. They also provide plenty of activities. I would recommend this community to others in need.

I'am Doing Great Here

I'am doing great here at this community. Everybody has been very kind and helpful. The community looks nice and well maintained. They have a nice staff here, they are very polite and friendly. There are nice activities offered daily. They do serve nice meals, the food is pretty good. Overall I'am satisfied with my move here.

Recommend Great Movers For Us

Everybody at the community is very nice and friendly. It has been a great experience so far. They do a good job with keeping the community nice and clean. They are caring for her very well. The staff is great, they have been friendly and very helpful. They even recommend some amazing movers for us. There are great activities for her to try. The food is great. I know she is in good hands and I would recommend it.

A really nice place to live

Our contact at Summerfield was very nice and what we noted was that he called every resident by name as they passed in the halls. Everyone, residents and staff were friendly.
This is an older facility but it is clean and well maintained. They have a great activity schedule both onsite and off site.
It just felt like a nice place and our Mom agrees now that she calls it home.

A wonderful place for Mom

The first day we walked into Summerfield Estates we were impressed. The staff was very friendly as were the residents.
This facility is an older one but looked and smelled nice, not new and definitely not old.
Our contact there, Peter, was helpful and friendly and called every resident by name as they passed by. It just felt right.
There were activities planned daily and the food was delicious!

food needs improvement

The food could improve. The only complaint I have is the food at times can be good and at other times can be bad. There needs to be a consistency with the food.

very good

I am living at Summerfield Retirement Estates and it is going well. They have a very good transportation system that I take advantage of. The food they have here is very good as well. The people are all very nice and friendly. I have only been here a few weeks, but so far things have gone well. It has been a bit of an adjustment for me, but all in all it has gone well.

Sunshine

We are glad you here you are settling in well at Summerfield Estates. Please let us know if we can do anything to make your experience even better!

Poor managers

My mother recently moved into Summerfield Estates after a stroke. It was pretty rocky at first, but she seems to have settled into a routine and enjoys the meals and sharing with other senior citizens. Although told by the 24/7 managers that she would at first have meals with the "ambassadors" to help make her feel more comfortable and welcome, this never happened despite my repeated phone calls and direct conversations with the managers. Finally, I realized that the "Sunshine Company" that owns Summerfield evidently trains their staff to smile and nod while saying "Yes, that's what is happening," when it completely is not. Once I accepted that and no longer talk to the managers, things have progressed nicely. However, she has been there 3 weeks, my mother has never once met the activity director and spends her time in her room alone when not at meals.

Unhelpful service

Highly disappointed with the service at this residence, have a difficult time finding parking at the retirement center yet see employees park right in front. If you have a question it is addressed as if you are in the wrong. Most unhelpful and rude service.

6 out of 5 Stars

From the first meeting we had from them right through moving him in has been a very good experience.. Very homey experience food is great no complaints.

Sunshine

Wow! Thank you for rating us 6/5 - what a compliment. We strive to provide residents and their families complete satisfaction and are pleased to hear you have experienced just that. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to further exceed your expectations. We hope to see you again at Summerfield Estates, and feel free to join us for lunch anytime!

The care is great and very very helpful!

I'm very happy with the choice of moving into Summerfield Retirement Estates. The community is very centrally located with access to banks, grocery stores, and shopping. About a mile away, there's another strip mall. For those who use walkers or wheelchairs, the location is ideal. Summerfield also has a shuttle which provides scheduled transportation to doctors, pharmacy, and other outings. It's not only a nice place with very nice people, it has a piano in the dining room, there's a library, pool table, poker games, there's a beauty shop, movie room and an extra kitchen for residents' use for personal gatherings. There's an ice cream social every social and many activities. During the holidays there are wonderful decorations and celebrations with family members and friends invited. There are many open and common areas for residents to just sit or gather. I'm on the 2nd floor, where at the end we have a puzzle that's open to anyone placing a part until it's complete. The food is pretty good. And, while I've been sick recently, my meals were brought to my room. I'm very happy to recommend Summerfield to anyone looking for a really great place to live.

Sunshine

Your review is music to our ears! Its great to hear you are truly enjoying the many all-inclusive amenities here at Summerfield Estates. If there is anything we can do to make your experience even better, please let us know.

People extremely nice, can have dog; the entire place interviewed the dog

I like the settings, the people, the managers, the food. Everything is good.

I have an apartment with the option to eat in a dining room.

The people are very friendly. I'm the youngest one here, at 73. Most people are over 85, but they're friendly. I have a beautiful dog, and they all love my dog. She is a large dog, and being able to have here here was a key reason why I chose the place. They had me bring the dog, to meet everyone, and everyone loved her, so they let us move in.

They have care services, but I don't require them.

Activities seem to be very good but I don't participate.

The only thing that could be better is that I wish they had younger residents, but that is about

Sunshine

We appreciate you sharing your experience as a resident here at Summerfield Estates. It's great you have settled in so nicely, and that your dog too is making friends. We are sorry to hear you haven't had the chance to participate in the various daily activities we offer, but should you ever want to, Allison, our Activity Director, would to see a new face. Our residents constantly range in age, so maybe see who moves in next month! Also, another option is to ask the managers about our Referral Program, and start referring your friends to Summerfield.

Sunshine

We were very pleased with this locati...

We were very pleased with this location and our loved one is now a resident there. Wonderful neighborhood and area.
Couldn't be more pleased!
Thanks

Sunshine

Thank you for your kind review Kim. With caring live-in managers, a delicious food program, daily activities, access to Summerfield Estates Clubhouse and much more, we are certain you loved one will continue to be happy with our community.

Disgusting

My experience with Summerfield Estates retirement community has been anything but positive. Their management team, I believe a married couple, seem to be most interested in PR rather than the true comfort, happiness and health of their residents.

While I was visiting their facility one of their residents had an "accident" upon leaving the dining hall after lunch. Instead of calling a qualified carpet cleaning company I had the misfortune to watch one of their unfortunate employees have to clean the "trail" by hand while other residents were still eating just feet away. Disgusting! One would think they would have an electric shampooer for this kind of occurrence. If this is the way they treat their employees just imagine how they treat their residents once they have that signed contract! If the proper authorities were contacted I'm sure they would still find feces embedded in the carpet just outside the dining room and the sitting area in the lobby.

Don't be fooled. This is not where you want your loved ones to spend their golden years. The only gold being is going into the coffers of whomever owns Summerfield Estates retirement.

My humble advise would be to do some well advised research and find a more suitable, healthful and happy home for your parents. I'm sure they did the same for you and they deserve the best in their latter years.

Dear Cinci,

We are truly sorry for the negative experience you had at Summerfield Estates last summer. We did look into this incident after you posted your review and made sure nothing of this nature would ever occur again. As of recently, we have a new team of live-in managers who care for their staff and residents and are committed to living up to our company motto of “exceeding expectations” for everyone in the community.”

Grandma was Happy Here

My grandmother seemed happy there. She moved in to be with a friend, but she eventually moved just because we all live out in Hillsboro. It is an older place, but very nice. My grandmother is very demanding and they were nice to her!

Sunshine

Our residents are our number one priority and we are happy you were able to experience this first hand with your grandmother. If you ever rethink your decision to move her to Hillsboro, our doors are always open.

Horrible, horrible experien...

Horrible, horrible experience. The managers were not on-site and the office door was left unlocked and anyone could go in (including the postman and myself!). The duo that was to show us around gave us the inquisition on my father and wanted to make sure he would be a good match for them. After being asked very inappropriate questions, we left after about 10 minutes.

Sunshine

Our sincere apologies for your experience at Summerfield Estates. With a new set of live-in managers, we can assure you they are friendly and available for both residents and visitors. We would love to welcome you back and give you another opportunity to see the true Summerfield Estates.

All Inclusive Packages!

The location was close to where my father in law lived. Other properties were the same layout but he needed an all inclusive property that included meals. Price was a factor when choosing this community. Room is less then 300 sqft and seems like it could be a little bigger for the price

Sunshine

I am sorry to hear you felt our apartments were smaller than what you had desired, but what I can is residents typically spend their time in the spacious common areas of Summerfield Estates. As part of our all-inclusive community, residents enjoy chef-prepared meals in the dining room, access to Summerfield Estates Country Club, chauffeured outings in our bus, fitness classes and games in the activity room and more, all outside their personal living space. If you ever reconsider, please know are all-inclusive community will be waiting for your father in law.

Meals; too many services

Meals; too many services

Sunshine

Being an all-inclusive community, there are a variety of services we offer, however they are all optional, including the 3 chef-prepared meals served daily. We hope this wasn't a deterrent for you or your loved one.

Very nice! Love that it has a balcon...

Very nice! Love that it has a balcony option and is even a complex that I could move into and be close by. Loved that it was very hands on, well kept and also had a strong community feeling.

Sunshine

Thanks for taking the time to review our community and sharing your experience with the SeniorAdvisor.com forum. Please let us know if you have any other questions about Summerfield Estates, we are here for you.

Summerfield Estates is an affordable all-inclusive retirement community, located in beautiful Portland, Oregon, just minutes from shops, restaurants and local hospitals. A Sunshine Retirement Living Community, we offer a variety of amenities to simplify your life, including three chef-prepared meals daily, on-site beauty salon, fun daily activities and free transportation, so you can all enjoy today and look forward to tomorrow! Plus, residents receive complimentary membership to the Summerfield Estates Clubhouse, including golf, tennis, swimming and a variety of social and fitness activities!

At Summerfield Estates, we believe you deserve to enjoy a carefree lifestyle surrounded by warm and caring managers, staff and residents. We pride ourselves on offering you choices that allow you to live your life the way you want. It’s a simple concept that means you can take control of your time, find comfort in your surroundings, and be part of a community of friends and neighbors.

In addition to the beautiful grounds and outdoor walking path, Summerfield Estates residents enjoy the finest benefits in our affordable community, such as: *Chef-Prepared Meals: Enjoy three home-cooked meals are prepared daily by our chef, served at your table in our dining room. Invite your friends and family in for special occasions and dinner in the private dining room!

*Fun Social Activities and Outings: Access a full activity calendar including: Games, Exercise, Wii Bowling, Bingo, Movies, Swimming and much more!

*Transportation: We offer local transportation for shopping trips, doctor’s appointments and other scheduled activities and events!

*Weekly Housekeeping Service: Enjoy your own personal housekeeper who will clean, vacuum, do light dusting, change your linens and bring you toilet tissue weekly.

*Caring Live-In Managers Available to You 24/7: You’ll have peace of mind knowing that our mangers live here too. Each apartment has an emergency communication system. The manicured lawn provides beautiful scenery for residents who wish to stroll or walk their pets, while the cozy common area is perfect for a book or craft. Residents can cook in their own kitchens or enjoy nutritious meals provided in the restaurant-style dining area. Housekeeping and linen services are provided, as well as around-the-clock maintenance and assistance. Transportation can be arranged.

Find us on Google: goo.gl/ZuKQ5p