Dufferin Care Center - Coquitlam, BC

Dufferin Care Center - Coquitlam, BC has yet not published prices.

The Centre is very clean and the staff are wonderful. Could have more activities for the residents who have higher cognitive function.

Somewhat disappointing

This site was by far the worst of all the care homes we visited. However, it may be that it just didn't fit my fathers needs. The facility is fairly dated and a large number of the clients have memory care issues. The majority of the rooms are double occupancy rooms with very few single bed rooms. The staff appeared friendly enough but also appeared not to want to get involved with the clients. I believe they need more staff and leadership. The recreation program could also use an overhaul when comparing it to other complex care places.

Good, competent staff in a clean facility.

I placed a family member at Dufferin Care Centre on a private pay basis. Unfortunately, the patient needed more attention than was provided, continually getting out of bed at all times of the night. As well, the other patients seemed to be more severely affected by dementia and inability to communicate than my family member so I decided to have the patient return to family care in our home. The staff advised me ahead of time that they did not provide continual one on one attention.
The staff members I met seemed totally competent, friendly and concerned about their activity. I had to pay for 15 day's notice (as agreed when the patient was admitted) which made the whole exercise very expensive. The facility seemed to be well-staffed, clean and organized. My biggest problem was coming to terms with the depressing condition of most of the patients, but allowing for the fact that their mental capacity is somewhat diminished and such facilities are needed to handle a large number of seniors, I would say that the facility is doing a good job.
In hindsight, I would have been better to have arranged for a respite period rather than commit to the normal arrangement.