Peace Portal Seniors Village - White Rock, BC

visiting Peace Portal

I have only been once to Peace Portal - - given an in-depth tour by [Removed] - - but my first impression was very positive.

New home for my Aunt Jean

What a great group of staff. Moved my Aunt there and we were welcomed with such class. Hosted my Aunt [Removed] 92nd birthday a few days later. Staff to helpful a serving tea and birthday cake to the residents. My Aunt loves the idea that she can see the beach a place where she had spent many Sundays years back swimming. Made her feel like she had come home.
Keep up the good work and thanks for you loving spirit! Do not worry about Aunt [Removed] as I live 750 miles from her, know she is well taken care of.

Zero to HERO is what this advisor did for us !

Amazing referral advice from [Removed]. She helped from beginning to end in a very professional , experienced and kind way. Our knowledge of the steps involved went from 0 to everything we required to make the end result a success. She promised to make it easy for us, to be there for what ever reason. With out a doubt [Removed] helped us to trust from referral to transfer process & was a key factor to a positive outcome. Best piece of advice crucial in the transfer to Peace Portal facility was " to KEEP tHE HOPE ALIVE" . Up until that day, our neighbour, had become very stationary, possibly depressed and definitely confused about why he had to live in another district other then where his home used to be. Based on [Removed] advice , we were able to take charge of a difficult situation by reminding this kind and gentle man who now has dementia, that he was coming home to the community where his friends were excited to be able to see him again. He is 86, most of his bff's don't drive and have mobility issues. After a hospital stay and placement by the ministry, he'd been sleeping in what he thought to be a temporary bed all day and all night as if waiting for us to do something to help him. We are a couple of neighbour's watching out for our friend. He knows us, but we felt stuck because we didn't realize it was possible to achieve this huge move, by being his local advocate . His family don't live near and could not travel to him. Seeing an ad on TV planted the seed. I called the 1-800 #. We toured 3 facilities closer to home for him, and the family totally backed our choice of Peace Portal Village with full complex care to be the best. The day of transport , he was waiting for us. Got up early, ate his breakfast and walked out to the transport bus on his own. I was able to ride with him door to door as pre planned. As we entered Peace Portal Village. Ric Dilworth , also another key component was there waiting with staff to greet George to his new home. [Removed] perked right up , introduced himself and shook their hands. When we showed him his room , his eyes lit up and his comment " Is this all for me ? " It's been two weeks now. Every day he gets up , gets dressed, grab's his hat and off he goes down for breakfast ,lunch and dinner. He doesn't seem to look at the menu ... but he says it doesn't matter because all the meals are everything he likes. What guy do I know that likes everything ? He's still a little shy but definitely lets us know he loves his new place. We're all very happy with the numerous people that we've entrusted with his care. His new neighbours are wonderful, friendly and it does feel very much like a community full of kindness and good people who care about others.

Still monitoring

Our family feels that it seems that request for different situations that action is very slow:
1. Request for a lamp to be replaced. Four days go by and no action. Family member investigates and unit not even plugged in. Result from staff moving bed etc.
2. Hole in wall not patched after work being completed.
3.Request for mothers hair to be colored etc. by the end of Feb , March 5 not completed. Filled out the forms mand signed. No follow ups.