Discovery Point Retirement Community - Mesa, AZ

We like that this property is all inclusive, including breakfast and dinner. Most of the property is indoors so our loved one won't have to go outside in the heat to get to a meal or activity. The buildings and apartments are well maintained. There are lots of different areas for a variety of activities. Additional assistance is available at a reasonable price in 15 minute increments. The dining area is very nice! There is a group of residents who try the foods and rate meals to make sure the menu is to their liking. We like the different religious services and activities as well as activities like happy hour. Very well rounded! It sounds like the residents really enjoy themselves. This community is for those who value their privacy. The staff doesn't check in with residents however there are still safety precautions in place. It's independent living only, which keeps the cost down. This place will be hard to beat, especially for the price.

We liked what we saw

Great Community

Overall, our experience with Discovery point has been very good. My loved one seems to be enjoying the community. The food is good, the staff is helpful, the place is clean, and they seem to have a lot of activities available. Really the only thing missing is a gym. My loved one prefers a more independent format for exercise as opposed to the classes that they do offer there. Aside from that, it really is a great community, and I would recommend it.

My Happy Community

I have been to others and this is the best community I found. It has been wonderful for me. It looks like heaven with a castle when you come around the streets that has trees along it. Everybody is nice, the staff and people who live here. I like that everyone is happy. It is not expensive for a 1 bedroom apartment. It comes with a kitchen that has a stove and refrigerator. The meals are okay but I mostly go for the coffee and socialization. They have plenty of activities like sewing, jewelry making, bingo, and there is a whole calendar of activities and the meals. The men like to play chess once a month. There are more women here than men, I think some may be veterans because I see a lot of veteran pictures on the wall. The community has 2 chapels and a beauty shop and much more. I am just happy, happy being here.

Liked This Community

We liked this community, however, mom felt it was too enclosed for her. Everything was inside the same building no outside entrances. The apartments seemed to be smaller in size than others we looked at. They only offer on seating for dinner and you have to be in line by 4:15 pm. They have assigned seating for the residents which doesn't give you the maturity to meet new people you would be sitting the same people all the time.

Care options for my mom

We toured this community for the care for my mom. This was the care for someone more stable. The community is clean and we like the environment. They had activities that would have been offered. This community did not have the care that we were wanting at the time, but would over all recommend this community for other families.

Mom's Tour for care

We were able to tour this community. The staff was very nice and the community was clean and maintained. They had a nice list of activities and meals that are offered. We would suggest that families tour this community for the care of a loved one.

Nice facility,clean,inviting,friendly. Saw one bedroom only. No room for dining table,did have nice closet space. Lots of activities,and many good qualities.

Dad Did Not Like The Dining Arrangements

I liked the tour we had. The representative was professional with us and they were ready to show us the community. The apartment was more nice looking that was better for a handicap person. The dining arrangement had everyone sit together at the same time. My dad wanted more flexibility. I felt I got all the answers to ensure I was getting familiar with the community.

So far, so good!

I think things are going well since my loved one's move into Discovery Pointe. They provide 2 out of the 3 meals and my father likes them. The place inside and out is clean, and it has been a good experience so far.

A good fit!

My loved one is doing very well since her move to this community. She is comfortable in her apartment and is looking into joining activities. They provide 2 meals a day and her likes what they serve. It has been a good experience and we are happy with our house so far.

Good stay!

My loved one is having a good stay at Discovery Point! The community is clean and well taken care of, and everyone in the community seems to be very nice. My loved one's only complaint is the food, as it could use some improvement. Overall, my loved one is having a nice stay!

Did not offer outdoor living space

We toured this community when looking for options for my mother. It was nice but we didn't like that the apartment was all enclosed. There was no deck and she would have to travel through the community to go outside and enjoy the fresh air.

My Home.

Over all everything is good so far, I moved here the 12th of January, and was welcomed by the staff, meals are good and people are friendly. I intend to make this my home for my remaining days. [Removed].

Good food and activities

I scored them a 3/5 only because my mother has not lived there very long. The community is very clean and the staff is friendly. They offer a calendar for activities and keep us informed of what is going on. I have personally tried the food and it is very good.

Care for my brother

I toured this community for the care for my brother. The staff were very nice and were helpful to our needs. It is very clean and taken care. The activities would have been offered. I would recommend families to tour this for the care and the value.

No complaints!

Everyone at this place is really working to make new residents feel comfortable and get used to the community. The apartment my mother in law is in is very comfortable. She has housekeeping help her once a week which she really likes. The meals are great I haven't every heard her complain about it, except for the fact that they give her a lot of food but that is better than not enough! She attends the church services, and they have many more activities available.

My Look and Walk Around Tour

This was a very nice community to have a tour. It was more expensive than the other communities I looked at. There was nothing wrong but I did not get a gut feeling that this was the place. They were a fine community, just not impressed.

It Is Starting Out Fine

My dad is doing fine at the community and he is getting used to it. The staff are helpful. His room was clean and ready when we moved-in and will get it cleaned weekly. The community is the cleanest elder facility I have ever seen and there is no odors. The food is adequate and pretty bland. I would absolutely recommend this community.

Great Care

A great community with great care for loved ones. The food here is very good with alot of choices available. Activities are offered like being able to get out with others. A very clean community that is very enjoyable. Highly recommended for others.

Mom is happy with this care.

The community is excellent and the care is great. The food needs some improvement. My mom likes the activities that are offered to keep active. The staff is excellent in everyway to help my mom. I would highly recommend this for other needing good care.

Everything Is Working Out Well

This is a lovely community and my mother is doing well here. I'am pleased with the care they are providing her with, I know she is in good hands. It gives me a peace of mind know she is safe. She is really getting involved in the community and trying many of the activities they offer. The food is great. Overall everything has worked out very well.

Very Satisfied

Having shopped around we took my Mom to our 1st choice, Discovery Point, the staff was very informative, helpful, and professional. Mom liked the place during her initial visit, her move in was quick and efficient. She continues to like this place, she say's the residents are friendly and the food is good. We are very satisfied with our choice of Discovery Point.

Since moving Mom to Discovery Point she is doing a whole lot better than she was. The staff have really gone above and beyond to make sure that she is comfortable and she's participated in many activities since moving in. Mom really likes the food but still has the option to cook in her room if she'd like. The place is much bigger than most and the price is right compared to other places.

Excellent Staff

I would say that they were very flexible when we couldn't make up our minds at first. They are very accommodating and the food is very good, considering how many people they have to cook for. The room size is more than adequate for the price. The staff just go out of their way.

Things are going pretty well.

Things are going pretty well. I think they do a great job offering things to do. She enjoys the meals. The people seem to be friendly. The staff there seem very caring. Someone comes to clean, once a week. It's a pretty big place, but I think overall it's working out well.

She Loves It

From the get-go when we first moved m loved one in she absolutely loved it. She likes the food. They have been nice to her and have activities for her and it is clean and I can't say anything bad about it.

they make their residents feel welcome

My Mother in Law is still there. I think the facility really makes their residents feel welcome. Over all I think the facility is really nice. We have been pleased with the facility. The rates took a jump last year and hopefully they do not go up again.

An Overall Good Experience

The meals are just fantastic. When they need anything done in their apartment it gets done pretty quickly; if anything needs to be fixed or whatnot. The experience overall has been very good for my mother.

They were pretty good but they only had two meals.

We toured here when we were looking at options. They were pretty good but they only had two meals. The buildings were separated and the walkways were uncovered, so if it was really hot, or rainy it would be an uncomfortable walk to the dining room.

Very nice place

Discovery Point is just a wonderful place! The facility itself is clean and well kept, and the staff here are incredibly friendly and helpful! I've had all kinds of questions for them throughout this whole process, and they've always been ready with an answer! They've got all sorts of nice amenities as well, plenty of activities, and a heated swimming pool!

No balconies or outside gardening. Assigned seating in dinning room with rigid schedule.

It seems to be going pretty well so far.

It seems to be going pretty well so far. She likes the food, and the staff is nice. It's clean, and we don't really have any complaints so far. We are pretty happy with it so far.

Nice place

The place is wonderful and everything is great. My Nanny stays there. The only thing I can think is that there are some things that need to be accommodating to diabetics. The food is very good, but they don't make any arrangements for a diabetic. So, you have to always keep track of everything and make special arrangements. Which is I think is a problem. Overall, the place is wonderful and it's a very nice place.

Nice facility, doesn't offer assisted living or onsite medical care

I think the place is a nice facility, you get a lot for your money. Probably the only thing that they don't offer is services that are offered if you need more care - maybe assisted living. They don't have a lot of onsite medical care such as doctors and nurses. They only offer assisted living.

My mother was going to stay there, but then she decided to go someplace different. She wanted assisted living. It cost twice as much, and they have 24/7 onsite medical care.

They are absolutely loving it.

They are absolutely loving it. Every time we see or talk to them at some point during the conversation, they tell us thank you for finding Discovery Point for them. I have not heard a complaint since they moved in. The variety of the meals is fantastic, and if there is something they don't like, they have an alternative menu. It's just a great place.

I like the place very much!

My sister lives there and she seems to be happy. It's a very nice place. The only thing is that their transportation is very limited. They only provide transportation M-thur and you have to sign up for it. Also, the last p/u of the day is at 2:pm so it makes it hard when you have to go to the doctor. Another thing is that my sister is diabetic and the only meal change is the dessert. Otherwise it's great.

Best Place for Dad who doesn't play cards or bingo

Mary was absolutely fantastic! She showed me around Discovery Point and all the available apartments. then she did it again the next day with my father. The buildings were clean and well kept. very friendly people who work and live there. The best are the activities. They have so much more than just cards and bingo. Thank you so much.

Finding a place for mom that she can call home, a place that is safe and friendly.

This is such a major decision you have to make for the whole family, you wonder if you are doing the right thing for mom's well being. A Place for mom was there to answer our questions and give suggestions on the best way to handle things. Since our mom is now 90 we didn't like the idea that she was still living alone. Now we have a sense of security that someone is close by and hopefully she will make new friends. This just seems like a perfect place for her at this stage of her life. She has the freedom to come and go and yet have her meals provided for her. Her little dog was able to stay with her as long as she is able to take care of him. That was a big factor in our decision. Thank you for helping us find a place for mom.

Discovery Point

If you are looking for a retirement facility for a loved one that does not need regular medical attention, Discovery Point is a good affordable option. The property is in good condition. They are starting to replace all carpeting in the facility (it definitely needs to be replaced). The apartments are clean and well maintained. My mother has just moved in so I can't respond to the transportation and activities. They provide breakfast and dinner (no lunch). The dining room is nice and they will move you to different tables until you find a group that works well with you.

All is Well

My parents both live here. I haven't been here because I don't live in Arizona, but they haven't complained so I am assuming that all is well.

Very nice... bright, cheer...

Very nice... bright, cheerful. Will take Dad on a tour

Ask Questions

The community seemed nice and it was well maintained. They just did not have the answers I was looking for. Seems like a lot of these communities just tell you what they want you to know and it’s up to you to discover the rest. I am glad I had question prepared before I started looking or else I wouldn’t have known what to ask. They sure don’t tell you about certain programs unless you ask them.

Discovery Point rents apartments to residents 62 years of age or older, whose income does not exceed the certain limits. This program is called the Federal Low-Income Tax Credit Program and is administered by the Arizona Department of Commerce. Under this program, Discovery Point must limit the amount of rent they can charge you. Households have to be income qualified in order to lease an apartment at Discovery Point. The eligibility is determined by sources such as Social Security, pensions, interest earned from CD's, bank accounts, or other similar assets. There is no limit on the total amount of assets only the income or interest that is earned from these assets. These limits are based upon 60% of the Maricopa County annual median income. The application process takes approximately two to three weeks to process and to verify the financial information. All information is kept confidential.