Avista Senior Living Historic Downtown Mesa - Mesa, AZ

We loved this place. [name removed] the director, was very thorough, patient, helpful, and made us feel comfortable. The facillity iwas clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and attentive. The food iwas good and the cook and attendants were exceptional. The residents were friendly and appear to be happy. They offer a lot of activities. They really make you feel like they care about the residents and are conscientious In providing superior services. I definitely would recommend this place.

Glad we chose this community

The staff are very friendly, accommodating and attentive. The food is good and they offer healthy choices. They offer daily activities. We are very pleased with this smaller community and I would recommend it.

Friendly Staff!!

The staff at this property where very professional during our tour and made sure to answer questions we had for them in detail. I like that I did not feel pressured or pushed into a deal. The property was well maintained and they had an open floor plan that was easy to navigate through for all of the residents. It was just not the right location in the end decision for my loved one.

Big Apartments w Patios

The apartments are big and each one has a private patio or balcony. This is nice since we enjoy great weather so much of the year. It is also a nice option for people on ALTCS - clean and comfortable with great care. The staff is professional and kind. This is a gem in the East Valley.

Nice apartment but not secure for someone who needs assistance. Staff was friendly but made us wait and did not have accurate info.

Horrible place

This place is horrible what they did with my mother is horrendous. I keep praying they will shut this horrible place down. The person running the place [Removed] is a very [Removed]. Anyone who trust her with your parents are mislead. She is nice to your face or when you are around but when your not wow. Thank goodness for today's technology, videos do not lie. If you are not self pay, you will be treated horrible. I kind of figure they get away with it because the owner is on the Mesa City Council. The food is terrible no place for the community. Nothing for them really to do. Buses doesn't run a lot of the time. The owner turned community space in to offices so to beach with the residents. My suggestion is run but if your family is there set up video in their rooms get a real idea how bad it is.

Highly recommended

Charming downtown Mesa location. Very friendly staff. You can tell they take pride in caring for the residents. We have had a wonderful experience at this community.

Great team and great community!

Great team and great community!

I wasn't too impressed with Avista Senior Living. There was an old musty smell in the buildings. The cost is comparable to where my Mom is currently at, so no sense in moving her to Avista.

NO - too old, dark, not as many amenities

Friendly director, but was unable to tour actual living areas. I am hoping to locate a facility with more outdoor space and community activity area. It remains on my list as I look at other locations. This site did offer many options for medical appointments, some options for shuttled shopping, etc.

Great place! Clean and lots of nice people

Good Tour, Not What We Need

When touring the community I saw that it was a very nice place. It was a smaller place with no courtyard and not much outside.My dad did not need the level of care that is provided here. They were not going to work out for my dad, he likes to walk around outside.

Nicest People!

My mother has lived at Avista for 2 1/2 years and we've had nothing but positive experiences with the staff. Because I work down the street, I stop in one to two times a day. Everyone I've met who works there has a smile and takes the time for the residents.
Obviously, it's an older facility, but they regularly are improving the property. Anytime there has been a problem with my mom's unit, if it's not repaired the same day, it's always within a reasonable amount of time. I feel like this was a wonderful fit for my mom. The staff makes the facility a pleasurable place to live.

No Leadership

Yes there are lots of negative comments. The staffing is terrible and over worked and under paid. It all starts at leadership and that just doesn't exist here. Less than 10 percent of staff cares about what they do and that's sad. LEADERSHIP!!!

Tricia Baird

At Avista, we take great pride in our employees, our building and our residents. We appreciate all thoughtful feedback and would welcome the chance to meet in person to discuss any items of concern.

Cleanliness: We have a full-time housekeeping staff that devotes 80 hours per week to keeping the community clean. Our top-notch landscaping crew provides weekly service to keep the exterior attractive and clean. In addition, our full-time maintenance staff provides prompt services to residents as needed.

Friendliness: The staff at this community rates a 10+ when it comes to being friendly and helpful to the residents as well as visitors. From the caregivers to the cooks to the activities director, Avista employees watch over the residents with great warmth and caring.

Value: Avista provides a quality product at an affordable price. As we research competitive pricing on an ongoing basis, we find our pricing to be lower than others for the same services provided.

Care Service: We are so proud to have a member of our care staff be nominated and named the “Caregiver of the Year” for the state of Arizona. Because of genuine caring for our residents, our staff often goes beyond what is typically expected. When a resident is admitted to a hospital or care center, many times our staff will visit and/or provide support to family members on his/her own time. The Avista Executive Director is a veteran in the Assisted Living business. She has had 20+ years of serving the senior population. Her door is always open and her personal cell phone number is printed on her business cards. In addition, the Owner/President of Avista has his office on-site. He takes a personal interest in each resident and spends time listening and visiting with residents to hear their needs.

We welcome your visit. Please feel free to come by any time! We would love to introduce you to residents and employees who can help tell the Avista story.

Family Member

My Goodness! What negative comments. My parents lived at Avista for 2 years. I have had the privilege of meeting the entire staff and most of the residents. The residents are happy, the care is very good. The management team is mindful of the residents' needs, and I found them to be most helpful when my parents were in the hospital. The executive director and a number of the staff members went to the hospital to visit them. I'd like to say: "So, stop your grumbling." Isn't it a shame that so many people have such negative things to say but the ones who are pleased with what they receive are so very quiet!

[name removed] needs to retire

This place is the 80/20 rule. 80 percent of the caregivers do a nice job and are over worked. 20 percent are collecting a paycheck. The director [name removed] is a true bully and has no respect for her workers or residents. It's sad. She blue skies people to fill rooms and meet the bottom line but she is not about care , she is about control and intimidation. Again, its sad a person like her is allowed in a position. This will end as the former and current residents will put her on the news soon. Elderly and the handicap deserve better not scare tactics.

I would rate this as a 1 ,when I first came and talked with Bo the marketing director,he made me feel that this was the right place for my mother,,but since he left and now they have a new marketing director,,this place has gone from a 5 to a 1 in rating,,they have lots of people working in the office aND I caregiver and 1 med tech for 52 residents,,they need to hire more staff on the floors,and get rid of the extra people in the office,there was a time when my mother had no water at all for 3 days,,water came back on then she had no hot water for bout a week,,my mother will be moving out by the end of this month,,I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy,that's how bad it is here,,,nobody lasts here,residents move in and out all the time,,!!!!!

Not fit for your family member

From the very beginning you are really lied to. Everything the director said was available was either not there or never happens. The director (MJ) her self is very rude and treats residences with little respect. The staff has changed so much you can't remember anyone's names. The food is either frozen or boxed nothing homemade. They dictate everything including the fact you can only get one scoop of ice cream. You have to pay to take food to your room. Matinee is run by someone that has no clue what they are doing. They only thing good is the size of the rooms. I say runn far away. Until they find someone who knows how to really run this place.

The grounds and the outdoor had a lot of need for improvement.

The grounds and the outdoor had a lot of need for improvement. My wife didn't like the smell in the kitchen and dining area. This wasn't for us.

Toured

I toured this location when I was looking into independent living options. This place seemed nice enough, the rooms were a decent size and the staff all seemed friendly. They were lacking many of the on-site amenities that I was looking for, however. The dining room also seemed very small and claustrophobic.

Nestled in the center of a quiet, tree-lined neighborhood, yet right in the heart of historic downtown Mesa is Avista Senior Living Historic Downtown Mesa. Directly across the street from the Mesa Active Adult Center and within close walking distance of museums, shops, cafes and all downtown Mesa has to offer is a location that can't be beat. But a great location isn't the only reason to chose Avista Senior Living.

This locally owned and managed retirement community offers an individualized, caring approach for both independent and assisted living. A true sense of family permeates throughout Avista Senior Living. With 92 apartments, the community is small enough so every staff member intimately knows each resident, yet we are also large enough to offer a myriad of services and amenities each day.

Life is all about choice and at Avista Senior Living, we give our residents plenty to choose from. From all day dining with many delectable entrees to a vibrant activity program, new residents are always amazed at how rich and full their lives become after moving in to Avista Senior Living