Desert Cottages I - Indio, CA

Excellent contact. [name removed] was awesome by contacting me prior to the tour. [name removed] was knowledgeable about what needed to be asked and what needs to be done. Loved the home and it environment.

Nice and small and absolutely beautiful

I rated Desert Cottages 1, a 3 because I feel my wife is over medicated. I took a list of her meds to her regular doctor who has talked with the doctor there at Desert Cottages 1 and they are now adjusting her dosage. My wife will only be here another month as we are moving to Sun City, Az.
Desert Cottages 1 is a very nice 6-bed facility very simplified. They are meticulous about the food they prepare for their patients, they help feed them. My wife is at the point where she really can not participate in much so they do help her with a lot. The facility is absolutely beautiful it is in a residential gated neighborhood 4/5 bedrooms and all the residents are very well taken care of.
I would have no problem recommending Desert Cottages 1 to my family and friends.

The right fit for us

The caregivers here are wonderful They are patient and they work well with vision impaired residents. The food is good. They make homemade soups and offer a variety of snacks during the day. They make sure everyone is dressed and at the table for all meals. The home is extremely clean and they even open the windows when the residents are not in their rooms. I liked that this feels like a home and I am comfortable with dad being there.

Happy in Indio

I could not be happier with the staff at Desert Cottages. The care and attention my grandmother receives is phenomenal! When we went looking for an assisted living facility, I knew Desert Cottages was the place the moment I walked through the doors. When I visit, I hear nothing but wonderful things about how well it is directed and run. Keep up the good work!

I Love my Job

Desert Cottages is an amazing place to work. I could not imagine doing anything else but working with the elderly with Alzheimer and/or Dementia. The staff works as a team. The family members are absolutely a pleasure to be around and the residents make life Amazing. I have been working here for 4 years and am looking forward to many more! Knowing that we make a difference is the BEST feeling the world!

I wanted to take a moment to again thank you for everything you did for my mom, from your first visit with her in the nursing facility through her final days with us. She did enjoy being a part of your family and Autumn and I knew she was in caring, loving, hands.

Desert Cottages is the BEST!

"Words cannot express our gratitude for all that you do, not only for mom, but for all your residents.

I have had the opportunity over the years to see how other facilities, both large and small are run, and observe the caregivers that work there. I am sure I don’t have to tell you how rare it is to be totally satisfied!

Your homes are immaculate, the caregivers are warm and caring and diligent in their care of each resident. The food is the best. (We should know, as mom tells us often enough!!!)"

Love This Place

Glad I took A Place for Mom's recommendation!
My impression of Board and Care facilities was not positive as having looked at several in a different part of the state.

However, when A Place for Mom suggested Desert Cottages, I did agree to have another look. And I am so glad I did! I was very pleasantly surprised at the lovely home, large backyard with fountain, and very welcoming staff.

My mom has been there for a few months now and is getting great care, so much more than I was able to do by myself.

The home is always immaculate, decorated for every season and holiday. The staff is very warm but also conscientious about medication, meals, and making sure all residents feel comfortable.
I highly recommend Desert Cottages!

A place not for you

After the first week we knew we had chosen the wrong place, I hope you don’t make the same mistake.
While they were friendly,Desert cottages staff and owner refused to admit a decline in her health since moving her into their facility. We were trying to relocate her out, but we could not get her out fast enough before an Accident happened.
They did not notify the family when she was seriously hurt in an accident. They avoided seeking medical help, until the family found out that she was hurt and had to intercede and call the Doctor direct for assistance.
Once admitted into the hospital, she was found to be in poor health, needing much assistance. They are more focused on cleanliness than care.
Desert Cottage Fees are excessive and abusive, and very questionable. They charged us over $14,000 a month. I would never recommend this place for any care needs, for anyone.

Initial impressions

We've been very pleased as my mother has settled into their care.

Desert Cottage is a beautiful home care facility whose staff take wonderful care of it's clients. I felt that privacy, comfort and the needs of it's residents are it's number one priority. Elizabeth, the owner and her assistant Lisa went above and beyond meeting the needs of my stepfather while also dealing with my mother, whose dementia made her visits with my stepfather a challenge. Although my stepfather was in their care for only a few weeks before he passed I felt comfort in knowing that he spent his last days in the best facility possible. I had visited several board and care facilities before choosing Desert Cottage and it gives me peace and comfort knowing his last days were spent at Desert Cottage.

newer home in north Indio. 6 person w/2 shared & 2 singles.
clean, well fitted out. Staff seems competent and caring.
Complete service. They are a bit sketchy on pricing which is off-putting. Will consider.

At Desert Cottages, we provide a safe and secure environment for our residents, with a strong focus on improving quality of life. Desert Cottages employs several unique programs and services that target the specific needs of elderly individuals, with added attention being paid to the care of memory impared individuals. Through our care, Desert Cottages provides families with an alternative to rehabitation facilities or nursing homes.

We provide:

-Staff members with over 20 years of combined dementia care experience

-Professional Medication Management

-Secured Premises

-24 hour/ 7 day a week on-call staff

-Individualized Care Plans

-Assistance in activities of daily living (bathing, grooming, ambulating, etc.)

-An on-staff Certified Activities Director

-Pet Services

-Outdoor recreational areas

-Laundry and Housekeeping Services

-Food Services (including three nutritious meals per day with snacks)

-Dietary Accommodations

-Close Proximity to business and medical centers, entertainment and restaurants