Cottonwood Place Senior Living - Holladay, UT

This is a top of the line facility in a relatively new building. It is a very social place to age in place with the latest in up to date programs and friendly staff. Food was great, staff great and beautiful surroundings. The intermingling of residents, both assisted and independent was best. The programs, activities in and out of building were varied and plentiful. If there is a downside, it would be size of rooms and prices that were on the high end.

Stephen Christensen

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We work to foster a friendly, vibrant and engaging environment for our residents, and we’re glad to hear that your experience reflected that. We also offer varying levels of amenities and pricing to make our community accessible to as many seniors as possible, and we’d be more than happy to offer our assistance in finding the right fit for you. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at any time to discuss this further, or to simply share some additional thoughts or feedback. Our doors are always open.

Cottonwood Place is a relatively new (3.5 years) facility in a residential neighborhood in the shadow of the Wasatch Mountain range. Upon entering, I was greeted by a very friendly "concierge" who offered me something to drink and seated me in a waiting area to meet with the marketing director, who was scheduled to give me a tour. There were several residents congregating in the "bistro" area and library near the entrance. They appeared happy and friendly, and were preparing to go out on a scenic drive.
The dining area appeared clean and open, and there are a couple of private dining rooms for the use of residents on occasions when they might have special guests or perhaps a larger gathering of friends and family.
I was able to see several model living arrangements--a one-bedroom apartment in the assisted living area, a private bedroom with a shared bathroom suite, and a one-bedroom suite both in the memory care area. All were designed to accommodate wheel chairs (including the showers), and I am told that all the rooms are licensed as "assisted," meaning that a resident who enters "independent" would not have to move to another room if she needed to be in an "assisted" room later on.
There is a full-time RN on staff, a physician visits the facility regularly, and the entire memory care staff is specially trained to work with people with various types of dementias. All residents are given a GPS pendant that allows them to call for assistance if needed, and that is impact sensitive so that if a resident falls, the nursing staff is notified immediately regardless of whether the resident calls for assistance.
The memory care area has a secured outdoor garden area for residents who like to wander or just spend time outside.
When I visited, the residents of memory care were out of their rooms and playing a game of (adapted) bingo. They seemed well-groomed and were engaged in the activity which was being led by an enthusiastic staff member. The memory care area did not have the dreaded smell of a hospital or an old-school nursing home.
Overall, this is a very attractive facility. It is very clean and elegant, and has the overall feeling of a very nice hotel.
We will certainly consider this property for my parents (one independent and one in need of assistance, who will eventually need more intensive memory care)

Stephen Christensen

Thank you for sharing this comprehensive review of our community. We couldn’t have said it any [removed] It’s truly reassuring to hear that our residents, team members, services and offerings had a strong, positive impression on you. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions or additional feedback. We’d be more than happy to lend a helping hand as you settle on accommodations for your parents. Take care!

Classy Place, Meals not so good

My parents moved into this facility a year ago. The building and rooms are beautiful. The staff is helpful and friendly. However, they need to upgrade their meals. That's where they really cut costs. The meals we've eaten and seen have been awful. Most of the food is overcooked and dried out. It looks like they use leftovers to make "new" dishes. My husband ordered a meal that turned out to be a dried out casserole made of chili and noodles. There's no "presentation" of the meals. I recently ordered breaded pork chops- the portion was about 2x2" and came with a about a cup of corn on the plate, The meat was tough, dry, and hard to cut & eat. The salad bar made me lose my appetite. Ice cream is usually half melted when it arrives. Some of the residents at our table pushed their dinner aside. They said they had reported that they were unhappy with the food, but their complaints went nowhere. So, this is a classy place with very sub-standard meals. Not a nice dining experience!

Stephen Christensen

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, Marilyn. Our team members work diligently to provide an exceptional retirement experience, and we’re happy your family is overall pleased with our community. However, it’s disappointing to hear that your dining experience hasn’t been up to par with our high standards, and we sincerely apologize for that. Your insight is certainly helpful, and I welcome the opportunity to discuss this one-on-one to address these concerns in more depth. Please reach out to me directly or stop by next time you’re on campus. I’m looking forward to speaking with you.

Sincerely,

Executive Director

I toured this community

The tour was great I was impressed. It was pretty and clean and there was people doing puzzles. They had a big garden area. There are a shortage in 2 bedrooms. Unfortunately my parents wanted a 2 bedroom so this wasn't a good fit for them.

Stephen Christensen

Thank you for taking the time to tour our community. While we’re disappointed it wasn’t the right fit for your family at this time, we’re certainly glad to hear that you were impressed with our offerings. Retirement bears many challenges and we’d be more than happy to offer guidance and assistance in your parents’ journey moving forward. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any thoughts, questions or comments that may arise in the future. Our doors are always open. All the best!

Attentive Stay!!

My mother was recently at this community for a short respite stay and I have no complaints of how things had went for her. The staff did such an excellent job taking care of her that if I ever need help again we will be returning to this place. They made sure to pay close attention to her needs and keep her as comfortable as well as entertained as they could. I would defiantly recommend this place to anyone interested.

Mom's Good Care

This is great community for my mom. She likes the staff who are very nice and always helpful to her needs. The community is very clean and maintained. The meals are always appealing and a good variety. She is happy with participating in the activities. We would recommend this community for a good value for other families.

Worth looking into

My mom liked living at this community. The staff were nice and helpful. Mom was in the memory care and they offered a lot of daily activities. The food was ok. The community was clean and I would recommend it.

Great Experience

We have had a great experience with Cottonwood Place. Very friendly employees and a beautiful, clean, and cozy building. I think the residents here feel loved and well taken care of.

Activities Are Offered All Day Long

My mother's health isn't doing the best, but this community is doing a good job caring for her. The community looks great, everything is very well maintained. They have a great staff, they have been attentive and responsive to my concerns. There activities offered all day long. The food isn't the best, but its decent. I'am comfortable with the care they are providing here. I would highly recommend this community.

disappointed

We got my grandfather in right when they opened. it is a beautiful building. we ended up being very disappointed. they were not at all equipped to deal with memory care residents. I dropped by one afternoon to visit my grandpa and found him in bed covered in feces and urine. I was so upset and concerned. It looked like he had been laying there for awhile so I asked the nurse and she admitted they had not checked on him all day. It was inhumane. They took their time cleaning it up and my grandpa was so upset. They are not staffed well and their employees really do not care about their residents. The place is beautiful but that does not matter if they cant take care of our loved ones.

Cottonwood Place

As the Executive Director of Cottonwood Place, this is the first I have been made aware of your experience. When residents and family members have an issue, they typically approach me with the problem so it can be addressed immediately. We are a fully equipped, state licensed memory care community, designed and staffed in accordance for the care of resident’s with dementia and Alzheimer’s. It is possible at times that family members may visit their loved one right after an incontinence accident occurs, but due to our community’s strict policy of hourly status checks on each resident, it is highly unlikely that hours would have passed. Our entire care staff are devoted to each and every resident, as evidenced by our full community and low turnover rate. If you wish to further discuss the matter, please contact me.

Cottonwood Place/Our Peace of Mind...

Although this decision was a difficult one to make initially and after visiting 10 plus Assisted Living facilities, walking into Cottonwood Place was a breath of fresh air. The final choice was made...and here is why...

It was like walking into a fine hotel, large open spaces, impeccable decor...friendly, knowledgeable, dedicated staff...new and innovative methods to assist your loved ones transition to their new surroundings...there were residents milling around in the bistro, talking to each other, reading the paper, sitting by the fire and listening to music and dinner smelled like something YOU would eat...

Once your decision is made, and you need to maneuver the process of paperwork, doctors, and guilt believe me they are a source of information and they return your calls immediately....novel!

A Truly Special Place

I think it is impeccably brand new and it has a great energy and feng shui. The people are full of energy and everybody in a position is willing to go above and beyond to help out. The residents are amazing and I think it is a special place.

One of the finest communities I have ever seen. Totally clean and well run everything!
This was one of the top places on my list. It would have been in the final running if it was less expensive. There are communities in Utah County that are much more affordable than any of the communities in Salt Lake City. This place was reasonably priced for S.L.C.

not good for memory care patients

I checked out Cottonwood Place Senior Living and at first it looked wonderful. I put my 96 year old father in there in memory care. The person in charge of memory care was not good and did not seem to know how to do memory care right. After a while they said that dad was sleeping a lot. I went in once to check on him and found him lying there in his own feces. I brought it to their attention and they gave inadequate excuses for the lack of care. I have him at another place now where he is doing much better. It might be a good place for other residents, but not for memory care patients.

It was Incredibly awesome!

Was chosen for my 95 yr old father. Thought the place was absolutely amazing. The facility was furnished very well The staff was incredibly helpful to my father, and to any of my family members concerns as well. Stated that the transition into the new place was a lot easier due to the very friendly staff always trying to help in anyway they can. Thought it was real close to visit, for those who were close. In closing Thought it was the best.

Seemed like a nice place!

I toured this facility when I was looking into care options for a loved one. I thought this place looked very nice overall, and I'm sure it would have satisfied our care needs just fine! The facility itself was nice looking, and the staff all seemed very friendly. We ended up selecting a different facility that was a little closer to home, but this place is definitely worth a look if you are searching for senior care in the area!