Colonial Gardens - Beverly, MA

Mom really liked the size of the apartment. Which means that she can bring most of her "stuff" with her. Liked the "feel" of the place.

Wonderful Place!!

I have no complaints of how things are going for my loved one since she made the move into this community. I am comfortable with the quality of care the staff are providing her and they have been a delight to work with. She has had no issues with the meals and enjoys participating in the activities from time to time. Overall it is a very clean facility and I would recommend it to anyone.

Nice, but not as vibrant...

My loved one's stay is going well so far. He gets the care that he needs. However, we are a bit concerned because the facility isn't as vibrant as the last facility that he was in.

NOT A HAPPY EXPERIENCE!

I have to agree with the review of the managers at Colonial Gardens in Beverly, MA -they have no business being the managers of a “retirement” community - this is a facility that the residents are paying for and they are treated with disdain as the prior review stated. [Removed] feel it is a burden listening to the complaints of the residents. I don’t think they understand that these residents are paying their salaries and they should have a better understanding of their issues. This is the last chapter of their lives and they should be treated with dignity and not made to feel that their complaints go unheard. It is time for new managers who are caring, compassionate people and know how to listen and respect others! The food is also terrible and served like an institution and not a "retirement" community!

Clean facility with many activities!

My loved one's stay at Colonial Gardens is going great! The facility is very clean and well maintained and the staff is very friendly and polite. For the most part, my loved one is very fond of the food, as well as the activities, such as bingo, that are offered at this facility. My main concern is that resident and family requests are not always given the care and attention that they require, but overall, this is a very nice facility!

Very Clean Place!!

My mother and I would defiantly recommend this community to a friend because the place is very nice and well maintained. The community provides housekeeping once a week. They also provide 3 meals a day, and they are well balanced, taste good, and provide a variety of options. The room my mother is in is very comfortable and she has her own balcony. The only thing I wish they would change is I wish they would have the option to take the meals up to the resident's bedrooms.

Go Somewhere Else!

Don’t be fooled by the nice facilities. The managers here, Al and Cheryl [Removed], show nothing but disdain for the residents, and though it’s meant to be ‘independent living’ the place is filled with residents who need a greater level of care. Not to mention the fact that they can’t keep staff. Since my parents moved here, I couldn’t count the number of people they plough through in housekeeping, activities, and in the kitchen.
Run!!!!

Beautiful environment and furnishings, gorgeous "restaurant-like" dining room with daily gourmet meal menu, lots of great amenities, nice, peaceful location. Was disappointed that the studio (in our budget) was much too small to accommodate anything more than a bed, nightstand and dresser. Would be perfect if it was only to be used as a bedroom, however I needed a seating area in the room, and this studio was not big enough for even an armchair.

Of those visited, the most affordable other than low-income rentals. Private pay only. Some units attractive. In a corporate park. Dull walking. Strange dining area like hotel lobby. Poor activities. Free stays elsewhere incl. UK.

Happy

My loved one is happy here. The Colonial Gardens is a nice and clean community. The food is good. The atmosphere is wonderful. My overall rating of this property is 5 stars. I rate the cleanliness 5 stars. I rate the friendliness 5 stars. I rate the value 4 stars. I can't rate the care services because I am not sure about it. I rate the activities 5 stars. The Colonial Gardens is a nice community. Very nice.

It was a beautiful community, and it was quite large.

I toured here when I was looking into options. It was a beautiful community, and it was quite large. The dining room was huge and not as intimate as most places.

lack of food quality

The apartments are spacious and well laid out. The facility is spacious and beautifully decorated. The lack of quality meals is the biggest issue. There are no healthy options for health conscious retirees. Many meals include mystery gravy to cover the overcooked low grade meat product. A typical menu is Chicken a la king or the alternate of beans and wieners. Not exactly quality fare for $4,000 monthly. The new management team has done nothing to improve this ongoing problem. If they could improve the food this could be a great place.

daughter

about as fairly priced as you can find around here. not for people with dementia. Staff is nice and friendly, food is ok. convenient meals and shuttle service.

So happy that our search is over!

For years my mother wanted to be in 'senior housing' in Massachusetts. Having sold her home in Florida we investigated several options on the North Shore, and even tried public Sr. housing. With her memory starting to fail, her joints beginning to feel their age, we were looking for a facility that incorporated community and activities while encouraging an independent lifestyle. With 3 meals a day, house cleaning, activities, outings - even a movie theater & hair salon - Colonial Gardens has offered a solution that provides all of that and so much more. I no longer worry about my mother being isolated and alone, nor keeping up with snow removal. She can retreat into her own gorgeous apartment when she wants to be on her own, but I often find her happily sitting in the beautiful lobby reading the newspaper in the sunny open space. We are so happy to have made this change. I am relieved to know that she has people around her, that she doesn't have to cook & clean any more and that she can slowly get involved in Colonial Garden's activities at her own pace.

granddaughter

This place is a good fit for my grandmother. She is quite elderly but does not have dementia. She gets 3 meals a day and housekeeping once a week. The staff is friendly. The food is ok, nothing spectacular, but better than the frozen dinners she would probably make for herself. Compared to some of the places we looked at, the price is good. Still seems high to me, but some places are just outrageous. I feel like she is safe and doesn't have to worry about a whole household anymore.

It was a very nice place.

I just walked in unannounced to get some information and from what I saw, it was a very nice place. The staff is very professional and I would rate it a 5 from what I saw. The community gave me a good feel for what a Place for Mom has to offer.

Seemed like a nice place

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for a loved one. Overall this seemed like a very nice place. The staff was friendly and they offered a lot of care services and activities.

Very nice place!

We toured this community when we were searching for options for a loved one. I absolutely loved the Colonial Gardens and everything about it. They make the meals for their residents and even take the residents shopping on Fridays. The only thing that was not good was the studio was a bit too small for my mother for the price. Other than that, I loved everything. Unfortunately the monthly cost was too high for it to be an option for us.

Nice property , bad food & activities

I wrote a review back in February , and wanted to update , my mom has moved out since my last review for the reasons stated . I wanted any future residents to know it is a lovely property however where it fails is the food and activit ies. The quality of the food is horrendous and activities are really lacking.i feel these are really important to seniors. That being said it it a really good value if you don't have to depend on all your meals.

Nice looking independent living

We toured this community when we were looking into options for our loved one. This is a very nice looking independent living community. What we saw of it was clean and well kept, and the people seemed friendly. It didn't end up being an option we could consider as they could not accommodate our loved one's dietary needs, and she would not have been appropriate for an entirely independent community.

The value was good when first opened ...

The value was good when first opened 3 years ago , now on par with other facilities. Where this property fails miserably is in the meals , over 100 people served at the same time institutional quality food , cold and often run out . This property modeled after other by Hawthorn group , but much larger without proper planing. Two small elevators for four floors and everyone moving at the same time to get to giant dinning area. Also the activities very poor , daily bingo and old movies. It's a shame such a beautiful property can't seem to get it together . We are in the process of moving out.

We just dropped in to see t...

We just dropped in to see this one and will make a reservation for a tour next time Mom is up. She was very happy to see cottage-style living on premises, and I know will be eager to see one of those.

John, was very nice and pro...

John, was very nice and provided a lot of info on the tour

Colonial Gardens Beverly

Well managed. Do a good job attending to residents needs, and ensuring a safe and supportive environment.

lovely place

It's been an easy experience.

Fewer activities than they said and not helpful with VA benefits

When we toured there was a lot of things mentioned aobut activities going on my mother is finding that they kind of played it up. They said they had cook outs in the summer. There has been very few. She is a little dissappointed in that.

They also say that if you don't show up for lunch and then say you don't show up for dinner, the staff would come check on you. My mother is finding that they don't check. They're very good if you have an emergency and pull the cord but they don't do the checks. My mother is pretty independent so it's okay for her.

The manager was wonderful bu the owner was really reluctant to fill out the form for verteran benefits. He wasn't very helpful in that regard. They did give my mother a full month rent free.

I thought this place was lo...

I thought this place was lovely; bright and cheerful. The staff were friendly and caring. I heard consistent negative feedback about the food from a few different sources, though the meal I had there was fine.

If I were interested in sen...

If I were interested in senior living, I would sign up immediately! I felt like I was in a 5 star hotel, everything about this facility is fabulous. Although there are no medical staff residing there, the managers all live on the property and there are options available to hire if necessary. I do not think this would be the best choice for someone who needed a lot of medical attention but for someone who needs senior living this would be the place.

I liked this one. My mother-in-law wa...

I liked this one. My mother-in-law was very intrigued. She will be visiting soon, so she will stay there and experience it.

Colonial Gardens Gracious Retirement Living is now open. We offer studio, one bedroom, and two bedroom/two bath suites. No long term Buy-Ins or leases required and all utilities except personal telephone and are included in the month-to-month rent.

Our retirement community amenities include three delicious chef-prepared meals each day served in our gracious dining room, caring on site managers available day and night, emergency call system in every suite, local transportation, housekeeping and maintenance service.

Residents at Colonial Gardens will enjoy a variety of activities from exercise and wellness classes to crafts, in-house movies, and group outings. Our friendly and qualified staff values our residents and focuses on helping each individual become a part of our community. Colonial Gardens offers the fun of a vibrant retirement community and the independent lifestyle you value.

It would be our pleasure to introduce you to our beautiful retirement community in person. We have a marketing team on site now and they will be pleased to meet you and visit in more detail about this exciting new opportunity for people who are interested in gracious retirement living in Beverly, Massachusetts.