Chestnut Knoll - Boyertown, PA

Nancy Jo

My mother lived in Chestnut Knoll Residential for 2.5 years with dementia. She was able to be independent and make choices for her self, while being encouraged by the staff to try new activities and participate in their many outings. Her safety was always a priority and the staff all knew her and her whereabouts at all times. The staff interacted with her, joked with her, but more importantly, loved her and treated her like family. When she was in her final week of life, the love and care for her in the final days was beyond professional. (Actually, the entire family's needs were taken care of and we never seemed to be a burden to anyone.)
I have and will continue to recommend Chestnut Knoll Residential to all people who deal with their parent's declining mental and physical health. Their holistic approach in caring for the variety of needs of the residents is outstanding and changes with each individual's needs. My family and I will be forever in their debt when it comes to amazing way our mother was treated daily, by all the staff at Chestnut Knoll!

Home Away From Home

How grateful my siblings and I were to have had a place such as Chestnut Knoll for my parents to live as they moved from northern PA to be closer to us. My father called it his "home away from home". Leaving the only home they knew was not easy, but the staff at Chestnut Knoll helped us to make it an easy transition for them. The staff members were caring, knowledgeable and displayed a sincere interest in my parents' well being. In spite of having very different needs, my father was paralyzed and my mother, his caregiver, had dementia, the staff made every effort to keep them together. When my father would talk to his brother "back home" he would say, "[Removed], there is always someone to talk to here and the food is delicious, especially the desserts". I will always be appreciative to Chestnul Knoll for providing a quality of life to my parents in their final years.

Our Extended Family

In the end of September of 2016 my father, who was living in another facility at the time, had a life threatening fall. When he finally was released from the hospital and rehab we moved him into Memory Care at Chestnut Knoll. I cannot stress it enough to anyone who will listen, this is a wonderful place. It is a "home" in the truest sense of the word, a place you want to be, with people who love and care for you. From the moment you enter the front door you're met with smiling faces, it doesn't matter if they are residents or caregivers it seems everyone is happy to be there. Everyone there at Chestnut Knoll and I do mean everyone is so very kind to the residents, they tease and cajole but there can be no question that they all care deeply. Unfortunately my father is no longer at Chestnut Knoll as he passed away at the end of August. When I arrived to collect my father's belongings, I was greeted by each and every one of his caretakers with hugs and comments of how much he would be missed. I love all of them as I know my dad also loved them. If you take nothing else away from my dissertation, take this " You want your loved one to be part of this wonderful community ".

I would highly recommend Chestnut Knoll..

In [Removed], we placed my Dad in Chestnut Knoll's Evergreen Neighbor. My Mom had been taking care of him at their home. It became too much for her. My Dad knew he was in a "nice" place. My Dad really enjoyed living there. All of the staff took very good care of him. Unfortunately, my Dad recently passed away. He was placed in Hospice at Chestnut Knoll. When it became apparent, he would not live much longer, a lot of the staff came into his room to say their "good-byes". This was very touching to our family. It showed us that the staff cared about my Dad. He was not just a resident but he was a friend. I would definitely recommend Chestnut Knoll to anyone looking for an excellent facility to place a loved one. From his first day to his last day, everyone at Chestnut Knoll helped my Dad and my family get through this very tough time in our lives.

A Close Pick

I thought the tour we had was excellent. We almost chose this community but we found a better price and a more closer community.

Mom's Good Care

This is a great community for my mom's care. The community is very clean. My mom is very happy with the menu and the variety. My mom does like doing activities with the other residetns. We would recommend this community for good care and a good value for other families needing care for a loved one.

I would recommend Chestnut Knoll Memory Care

The decision to place a family member in memory care is painful, difficult and comes with many emotions - anxiety, sadness, guilt. My family and I cared for my mother in her home for many years but the time came when we could not provide the proper personal care. The responsibility to continue a good quality of life for our mother caused much stress to all of us. After visiting numerous memory care facilities, I decided on Chestnut Knoll for my mother who suffered from Alzheimer’s. She lived at Chestnut Knoll for a little less than a year. Considering my mother’s disease and how it progressed, The Chestnut Knoll team provided excellent care and a good quality of life for her. She had opportunities at Chestnut Knoll that she did not have being at home. My mother participated in Fox Rehab services, many activities and had opportunity to socialize with other residents. She also enjoyed the live entertainment provided monthly.

Chestnut Knoll facility is modern, well laid-out, in a quiet corner of Boyertown. The facility offers a nice, warm and comfortable living environment. The memory care unit is secure but does provide opportunities for residents to enjoy the outdoors in the patio or garden areas. The staff is well-trained. The caretakers are friendly and full of compassion and support for the residents.

The staff encouraged my mother to be as independent as possible when that was an option, especially in regards to participating in activities. I visited often and was kept informed with all aspects of my mother’s care. I enjoyed interacting with the residents and staff as they all became part of my family. Also, I was impressed that the administration and nursing staff was so active in providing direct services to residents. They know the residents well and treat them like family. The entire staff was very loving and supportive with my mother up to her final days when we brought hospice care in for her. This allowed us to care for her in a comfortable setting instead of moving her to a different facility. I would recommend Chestnut Knoll Memory Care to anyone who has a family member with dementia, Alzheimer’s or any memory care needs. Thank you Chestnut Knoll for loving my mother.

Senior campus!

This place right off depressed me. When I looked at the rooms they looked like a old persons dormitory room. I did not like that. The residents that we saw were very happy being there. I just do not think that this was a good fit for mom.

Gretchen Vakiener

I’m so glad that you noticed how happy Chestnut Knoll residents are! That truly is what matters most! And, although I can understand your impression about the apartments (especially if this was your first visit to a community like ours), most of our residents spend their days in the community ~ participating in activities, watching the birds and fish, visiting with other residents, etc. It is also important to remember that families are welcome to set up and personalize each apartment ~ paint, hang window coverings, bring personal furniture and pictures, etc. Good luck in finding a community that “fits” for your mom. If we can help in any way, please let us know!

My mother [Removed] had been a resident at Chestnut Knoll for the past ten year in the Evergreen unit. I have nothing but high praise for the people and especially the care staff at Chestnut Knoll. The peace of mind that it gave me knowing that my mother was in such good and caring hands made the transition for not only her but our family so much better. Ten years is a long time for a resident in a dementia / alzheimers unit, the staff became like family with the knowledge and care they gave my mom. I am grateful for all they did.

I have nothing but good things to say about Chestnut Knoll and will be forever thankful for the care they gave my mom.

It’s been six weeks since Dick’s passing. I am finally getting my thoughts together to properly write and thank you for all the love and care you had shown our “Dickie”
During the many years of his time at Chestnut Knoll I never had to worry about his care. You were on top of things at all times, & you always kept me in the loop regarding Dick’s changes as time moved on. You’re my eyes, heart which carried me through this very long good bye. I knew that you each were doing your utmost to give him the best quality of life possible. You keep the residents engaged throughout the day in the activity room, & of course Dick was always ready to take part in whatever activity was going on. He loved to participate the games & the sing-a-longs. You even gave him the opportunity to play the drums from time to time.
It takes a team with very special hearts to care for our seniors. I can’t thank you enough for what you do on a daily basis for all the residents at Chestnut Knoll. All I can say is “well done faithful friends. Well done”.

Satisfied With Just About Everything

I am pretty much satisfied with just about everything, with the exception of some of the care which could be expanded for certain conditions. I think that Chestnut Knoll could do a little better job with that.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thanks so much for taking the time to review Chestnut Knoll and for the 5-Star Review! I would encourage you to speak to the Executive Director and/or Resident Care Director regarding your comment about expanding care. We pride ourselves in providing exceptional care and are always open to listening to family members who know their loved ones best.

Excellent help for parents and family

When my brother and I first came to Chestnut Knoll Memory Care to speak with the staff there about our parents, we were planning ahead for the time when we knew, inevitably, they would not be safe in their own home without 24/7 supervision. Both suffered from differing stages of progressing dementia. We tried various levels of in-home care, up to and including round-the-clock. The care-givers all did their best and were very compassionate, but due to my parents’ worsening conditions, they did not understand why all these “strangers” needed to be there in their home when, in their opinions, they didn’t need any help whatsoever. Watching them both trying to just get up and down stairs safely, and (somewhat stubbornly) dealing with the confusion of daily living, paying bills, etc., my brother and I both knew it would be just a matter of time. Since both of our locations and working schedules at the time precluded either of us from “moving in”, it became clearer to us what we needed to do, while still trying to honor our parents’ desires to remain in their home “for as long as possible”. Fast forward – following a number of falls suffered by both inside and outside of their home, including a hospitalization for hip surgery for our mother, we knew (even if they did not understand) that we had arrived at a decision point. We prayed we had not waited too long. Thank goodness for Stacy and Jennelle and all the staff at Chestnut Knoll, who through their professional expertise, background, and compassion knew exactly how to help us in our time of urgent need. From day one, my parents were made to feel like they were entering a new family, including a 66th wedding anniversary celebration at Chestnut Knoll less than a month after they had arrived. They are both gone now, and we are extremely grateful to Chestnut Knoll Memory Care and Fox Rehab Services for helping them, and our family, through their final months by providing the best possible quality of life.

This is the place!

Dad went to CK's Memory Care unit 4 years ago and stayed there until he passed away earlier this year. Was it hard to see him move in there? Yes! But after a short time of adapting to it, I wondered why he couldn't have moved there sooner. The interaction with so many peers was good for him, and the great surprise for me was how he cared about the staff who was caring for him. Biggest hesitation from my perspective? CK is for profit. Now what do I think? They earn it! I thank God for people who can make a living while taking care of fellow human beings the way CK staff did for Dad!

personalized loving care; always respectful and patient

Both of my parents lived at Chestnut Knoll. I would recommend this Assisted Living to any family who wants their loved one to receive person centered care. The staff is very friendly and involved with all of the residents. They are respectful, patient and show genuine concern for their residents. My parents enjoyed the meals and choices were always available. They were able to keep their cat in their room which was great comfort and company. There was an extra security deposit for the cat, but this deposit was returned when my father recently passed on. Although my parents chose not to be involved in a lot of the activities, the center provides a nice variety of bus trips, special programs and community events. They both received care from Caring Hospice at the end of their life and were able to stay at Chestnut Knoll until the end. Staff support and kindness was very much appreciated, You do not get this type of care in a nursing home. We did go through some difficult times until my parents got adjusted, my Mother had dementia so we had to place her somewhere and they needed to be together. They were able to be together till the end and even celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary while there.

Our father, resident for almost 5 years

Our dad, pop-pop, and pop-pop-pop was a resident at Chestnut Knoll for almost 5 years. It was his choice but the family agreed. What we first saw was a clean, odor-free facility.
Over the years, what we felt was a sense of family. The staff treated Dad and others as if they were their family. The staff from the administrators, nursing staff, and therapists had an open door for us as we asked many questions which they answered or found out the answers.
Dad loved to exercise and when Medicare made him stop he eventually declined. They started a new program with Fox physical therapy and Dad loved it!
Chestnut Knoll welcomes the family from the children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and grand-dogs, too!
As Dad neared death, we saw the love the staff had for him. We saw it in their eyes, tears, words, and actions.
They treated us with respect and love helping us in anyway they could.
We recommend Chestnut Knoll to anyone. It was a great decision for our family. We did not need to have Dad move to memory care but if he would have needed it, it would have been an easy transition.

Patient Care

Chestnut Knoll is a very nice place. It is like being in your own home. If you have any questions they are there for you. My dad has adjusted well. He is getting theraphy. They call and give me updates on his progress. They check up on my dad regulary through out the day. They check on him during the night.

Great Care and Communication

Our Mom has been a resident at Chestnut Knoll Memory Care since September 2013. From the day Mom became a resident the staff made her feel welcomed and did everything they could to make her feel at home. The communication between our family and the staff is great. There have been times when we have questions, saw the person we needed to talk to and no matter how busy she was, the time was taken to answer our concerns. There is quite a bit of activity to keep Mom busy and also some down time which we all need. The therapy team also was a big plus to keep Mom in top condition. Sadly to say our Mom has declined and no longer is able to participate in activities and has lost the ability to walk due to the nature of a broken hip and memory decline. Still the staff is doing all they can to keep Mom engaged and providing the attention that is needed. I have told my loved ones if something happened to me and I needed to live in an assisted living facility or memory care unit, Chestnut Knoll would be my choice.

Chestnut Knoll - A wonderful community

My grandmother was a resident at Chestnut Knoll for over 7 years. She was extremely happy and I was very pleased with her care. The staff is knowledgable, friendly and treat residents like family. In addition, since Chestnut Knoll is not too large, the staff quickly learned my grandmother's habits and lifestyle. I am convinced that her last seven years would not have been as fulfilling if she were home - at Chestnut Knoll she had people her own age and activities that stimulated her mind and kept her happy.
Assisted living care is not inexpensive, however, you do get what you pay for and I believe we got the best care possible.
Another bonus is how connected Chestnut Knoll is to the Boyertown community. I continue to be impressed at how the community helps them and how they give back to the community! I would recommend this community to anyone looking for assisted living in our area.

They made Dad's last years comfortable and safe.

Chestnut Knoll was an answer to our prayers. Dad was already in the early stages of Alzheimer’s when he needed to make a change from living alone in his home. At Chestnut Knoll he was able to move into assisted residential living at first. Then, after his condition progressed, he was able to make the easy move over to the memory care unit (the Evergreen Neighborhood) in the same facility. Chestnut Knoll is located in the quiet little Borough of Boyertown, PA on the quiet end of West 5th Street next to open green space. Dad was used to living in a rural area and so the setting was great. Although it located in the borough it is quite a pleasant, quiet setting. The staff was available, open, friendly and caring. They treated Dad like family. They treated all of us like family whenever we visited. The memory care unit was one of the largest we had seen after looking at several facilities. In fact, we were quite impressed with the activity room, the dining rooms, the memory stations and the sitting rooms that the memory care unit had. The long halls and the two courtyards afforded enough space so that the environment did not have that “closed-in” feeling. We had seen few facilities that had memory care neighborhoods this large with such a home-like feeling. Chestnut Knoll’s Wellness center helped coordinate all of Dad’s medical and medication needs. The nursing staff was ready to assist me whenever I had questions. They were promptly in communication with me whenever any incident occurred. Chestnut Knoll is clean, bright, quiet, friendly and homey. And their per-month cost was extremely competitive. They made Dad’s last 2 ½ years very comfortable. And they made him feel safe. We took Dad out, back to his old house one time after he had been living at Chestnut Knoll for a while. After being at his old place for a couple of days, he turned to me and said he was ready to go home. I asked: do you mean Chestnut Knoll? He said “YES”.

Family like feeling. Increased quality of Life

My Mom entered Chestnut Knoll after my Father passed away and I was unable to provide sufficient care in my non handicapped equipped home. The care givers became like family to me & my Mom, and she improved physically living in a facility with handicapped facilities. She was in a wheelchair , one paralyzed arm and a partially paralyzed leg from a stroke. She was in the facility for 11 years, just passing away this March. God bless the workers here who cared for her up until the end , with help from hospice. She had so many wonderful days with the Chestnut Knoll family, who always kept her busy with activities , outings, entertainment and spiritual support. I would recommend them to anyone !!

Very nice setting, well sta...

Very nice setting, well staffed, and residents seemed very cared for. A bit pricy compared to others we've seen.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thank you for taking the time to review Chestnut Knoll. We are disappointed with the 3-Star rating ~ especially since your comments about the community, staff and residents are all positive. We take great pride in providing the highest level of service possible and are disappointed with anything less than 5 Starts. We believe that the quality of our community and the care that is provided to our residents sets us apart from others ~ not just the price.

The Quality of Life Place to Go

Dad moves in next week, but Stacy made us feel so comfortable and reassured that we are sure we have selected the proper place at Chestnut Knoll for my Dad.

Very nice, but too far to be an option for us

We toured this location and thought it looked very nice. The staff were friendly and it looked good. It provided both assisted living and memory care, which is something we were interested in since Mom is not quite ready for a memory care specific facility quite yet. This one was a bit too far to be a real option for us, as well.

This was our second choice but a little too far.

They had the alert button on them they had a medical alert necklace type thing if she fell outside of their room even they would know where she was. She would have had to take an elevator for the most part and she didn't think she could do that. They had a refridgerator in the common area with food in there twenty four hours, so if she ever got hungry in the middle of the night she could go down and get food, just little snacks and stuff, sandwiches, beverages. We only toured They were very friendly and gave books to us to let us know what to look forward to with the dementia, because we were dealing with the begining stages of dementia.

Not a good fit.

Not a good fit. It appeared the residents were kind of sitting around, and our intitial impression was, it just wasn't the place for mom.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thank you for taking the time to review Chestnut Knoll. We are truly surprised by your comments. Chestnut Knoll is actually a highly active community. We offer residents a wellness program that engages over 95% of our residents in 2 – 5 hours of exercise per week ~ and that is in addition to our regularly scheduled activities, outings, entertainers, etc. This activity level exceeds the recommendations for physical exercise by the American Geriatric Society. Of course, like all of us, our residents also need downtime and it is possible that you visited during one of these times. If activity level is important to you, please consider coming back for a repeat tour at a different time of day or talking to one of the therapists who work with our residents.

Excellent place!

We were impressed by everything we saw here. The staff are great, it's very clean, and the food is good. One of our relatives is an RN and she said that the care they provide here is great, there are much more expensive places that provide much less impressive service. I really have no complaints at all, other than I wish the price was lower, but that just goes with the territory when it comes to senior care.

Liked the facility very much.

Liked the facility very much.

Beautifully placed in a quiet neighborhood, Chestnut Knoll merges both personal and memory care in a full service community. Located in Boyertown, PA just past Walnut Woods at the end of 5th Street, residents enjoy a welcome mix of privacy, security as well as independence. Whether you need assistance with daily living tasks or for those suffering from memory loss, there is always someone to assist you with a smile, here at Chestnut Knoll. Our facility offers two communities, one which consists of the traditional assisted living one-bedroom and studio suites, which offers assistance with bathing, dressing, medication management, and transportation services if needed. In addition we also provide such pleasantries as three mouth-watering meals served daily, group transportation to cultural and sporting events and more. Our next community offers care for those suffering from memory impairment. We provide a personalized and secure program which is highly structured, while offering our residents as much socialization as possible while we ensure their self-respect throughout their day. Independence is treasured at Chestnut Knoll and our skilled and caring staff is specifically trained in the latest techniques in providing care for an individual with AlzheimerÆs disease or other dementias. Here at Chestnut Knoll we also provide home care services such as medication monitoring, assistance with bathing and personal hygiene and many more services. We do all that we can to enhance our residentÆs sense of freedom, while ensuring that a familyÆs concern for the safety of their loved one is met beyond and above.