Cascades of the Sierra - Spanish Springs, NV

Shameful Administration

This is not a very good facility ! Residents are not taken care of properly and sometimes left in the same clothes for days. Its sad. Employee turn around is high because they are treated with no respect whatsoever by administration. I feel the elderly here are neglected and the administration does not care at all. Shameful behavior but unfortunately common that administrators at these facilities line their pockets, drive expensive cars but the staff of caregivers for these elderly people are treated horribly just like the elderly that live here. Staff ratios are ridiculously low and they cannot keep most staff past 90 days because they never give staff the raises or benefits they promise after the 90 day period, its a lie, they have no intention of doing it, so they change staff members every 90 days, disgusting !

Great place

The property is very well kept. My husband does not partake in many activities but I do see they have a lot of activities to do. We have been here a little over a month and a half so were still getting used to it. I like the care they provide my husband with and they are very attentive. When I'm not here they check in on him. I think it is a good place.

Unacceptable treatment and living conditions

I have specifically signed up for this website so I can disclose and share my recent unfortunate and unacceptable experience with the Cascades. After much heartbreak and consideration for alternative methods of car, my family decided to place my grandmother in an assisted living program. She has quickly progressing Alzheimer's, and we were worried about her safety in an at home setting. We decided that the best alternative solution would to provide her with the most comfortable, safe, clean, and knowledgeable care available.

After months of searching we decided on the Cascades Assisted Living in Sparks, NV. As her condition has escalated, the care she has received there in the past year has gotten increasingly worse, till the point where when I visited her last week I was so appalled that we have called an official meeting to discuss her [removed] and transfer to a new facility. I would like to add here that my family is very involved with her care, and visit frequently (1-2+ times per week). When I went to visit her last week I found that she had not bathed, was wearing dirty clothes covered in food and spit, the entire apartment smelled of urine, and her garbage was overflowing with used depends. We have discussed her urination problem multiple times with staff, and they ensured us that they would be taking care of her escalating issues. After cleaning up her apartment, and bathing her myself I discussed the state in which I found her and her apartment with my mother (her primary) who was horrified. We had noticed a lack of initiative on the staff's part over her cleanliness, and have brought this up multiple times; however, this was the last straw.

After returning home from a business trip, my mother went straight to grandma's assisted living to check in, and see if there was any change since I had seen her last (3 days earlier). She was shocked to find her in the same state wearing the clothes I had dressed her in 3 days earlier, urine soaked through the mattress and couch, food and spit on her clothes, un-bathed, and depends spilling over the trash. Grandma was mortified, and ashamed that she had wet the bed, and tried to explain to mom how she had 'tried to clean it up herself.' This is completely unacceptable.

I wanted to compare this to something you may find in a public state institution, however, this is unacceptable and [removed] in any situation. Between being extremely worried about my grandma's condition, happiness, and living situation, having to deal with the incompetence of a well paid staff and institution is a stress that no person having to place a loved one in assisted living should have to deal with. We will be discussing all these issues, plus many others that I haven't the time to share here, with the management and staff, as well as filing a formal complaint with Nevada's senior protective services. If any other resident at the Cascades is living in a similar condition, than it must be brought to the attention of the family and authorities.

Excellent Place

They have met and exceeded all expectations. I have referred. They keep everything clean, the place is spotless. The staff is extremely friendly and they are on top of everything. They are very, very good. They aren't formal or stiff, they know all the residents names.

We liked it and it was nice.

We toured here when we were looking at places. We liked it and it was nice. We found another place we liked a little better, and that place was less expensive. But we still thought this was a nice place.

brother has improved!

They have done everything pretty well. The only thing that I would recommend would be to have more of an orientation type thing where we can understand what covers what, what exactly we are paying for, and just a little more detail. That is the only thing I can think of that they could do better. Other than that it has been a very good experience. Overall I can say sincerely that my brother who is staying there has improved a ton and is doing very well at Cascades of the Sierra.

Nice place overall, great food!

Overall things have gone fairly well at Cascades of the Sierra! The facility itself is absolutely fantastic, it is a great looking place, and always well kept and clean. The food here is wonderful! The head chef is a terrific guy, and has become close friends with my Dad. We have had a few difficulties, however. The billing process could be a lot smoother, there has been some confusion as to items on the bill as well as the bill being sent to the wrong address. They also could use more staff in the evenings. I've noticed a few confused residents wandering in the hall in the evenings when there are less staff, and I've felt like I have to stop and help them myself more than once.

We are very happy with them.

We are very happy with them. They are clean, and the staff is friendly. I don't have any complaints nor can I think of anything that needs to be improved or done better. Things are going well.

The staff seem very friendly and help...

The staff seem very friendly and helpful with the exception of the daytime front desk person who can be a bit curt. Seemed she wasn't really happy with her job or just isn't a very warm, friendly type which is what I would've expected considering she is the first person you meet. Other than her, the staff have all been gracious, helpful and very nice. The food is really good. The rooms and common areas are lovely and the outdoor areas are very nice. I would definitely recommend the Cascades.

Excellent Community

Basically all of the above categories above are what I would want families to know. It’s clean and the staff is great. There are numerous activities. The food is great. There are outside areas that are accessible. One thing is that the layout seems a little confusing because the community is very large.

Much to offer

The biggest adjustment for someone coming out of living in their own home is paying the monthly rent. $2-$3k + and if you don't use the amenities offered, that is costly. Be certain your loved one wants to "socialize", will eat the meals and take advantage of what is offered, including transportation if needed.

Wonderful

On a scale of one to five, I’d give them an eighty-seven. Everyone – the staff there- is all perky. The staff is just awesome. My mom loves the food. You can tell it’s about meal time because everyone congregates. They have an awesome patio.

Excellent food

To be a little bit more specific on the contract – just be thorough in making sure expectations are clearly set. The food is excellent – I’d give it a four. There have been a couple of issues with the laundry, but there aren’t any issues with parking.

Respite Stays

When I bring her to leave her there they were pretty nice but by the time I came to get her they were all like thank god you're here. My mom has been there for respite two or three times. The care was okay. It's hard to say when you're not there to see what's going on. One time she had fallen because someone didn't do the job and leave the bathroom light on. I was not happy about that. The last time we took her she got a big bruise on the back of her arm. The girl had called me and said she had giver her a bath and noticed it but she didn't know how it got there.

I like that they have a nurse on duty. And they were helpful in trying to get her on a medication that would help calm her down. They said they'd used it for a lot of their patients but it just didn't do one thing for my mom. They also tried to limit her outbursts by giving her suckers which they said seemed to help.

Seemed Like A Good Facility

I like the facility. Assuming that the things they told would happen actual would happen I would have been more than happy to have my parents live there. They were just out of our price range.

Tough Adjustment but Doing Well Now

She is doing pretty well, although it was a tough adjustment at first. There is always a movie everyday. I've seen them do bingo, and they have lots of exercise programs. The do sing alongs and some seasonal events. I went on a day that they were having an Oktoberfest. My grandmother is in assisted living. She has her own apartment with a little kitchenette.

WE ARE NOW OPEN!

Opened July 2009 and located in the exclusive Spanish Springs area, on the northern edge of Reno/Sparks, on a beautiful campus, Cascades of the Sierra provides independent living, assisted living, and a memory care community.

Our campus invites you to indulge in a wellness focused lifestyle dedicated to positive aging and focused on nurturing the wellbeing of you mind, body and soul.

Here is a lifestyle filled with culture, nature, health and true beauty. With resort-style amenities and services in state-of –the-art facilities, at Cascades of the Sierra, all the things you want to do…because everything else is done for you. Maintenance. Lawn care. Cooking. Cleaning. It’s all taken care of. This is carefree living at its best. The free time you’ve always wanted… and plenty of ways to enjoy it.

Welcome to Cascades of the Sierra, where we invite you to experience The Difference Between Living and Living Well.