Carmel Hills - Charlotte, NC

Best Kept Secret in Charlotte

I would shout it from the rooftops if I could how great this place is. It is thoroughly Christian and it shows. My mom spent 6 years there, 5 on the independent side and 1 in the care center. Even though she had Alzheimer's and started losing her memory early on in her stay, she was always treated with respect and dignity from the residents and the staff.

When she was moved from the independent side to the care center, the director Sally was very astute in the way she handled it, first moving her to a private room to get her accustomed to her new surroundings, then thinking about who she might pair with her in the semi-private room that would work out for the both of them. Sally was also very observant of any changes in her physical and mental state, even noting a change in her gait which turned out to be a stroke coming on and some swelling in her left leg which turned out to be blood clots. At her urging, we took her to get medical care, in their van when possible, and I'm convinced that without Sally being on top of things, my mom would not have lived as long as she did.

In the care center, my mom was always immaculately groomed and dressed, the room was spotlessly cleaned, and my mom changed out and fed to the very end. The administrator Richard and his wife Lydia worked tirelessly to make her stay as comfortable as possible, even singing to us and praying for us the day she died. The CNA's always radiated joy and compassion, even at the end of a grueling work day, and the kitchen staff were so accommodating with her dietary needs.

It is a tranquil setting with the trees, walking trails, benches, and pond. Not fancy, but very reasonably priced, relatively speaking. Many activities on both sides. I would highly recommend this best-kept secret in Charlotte.

We were very very pleased with their ...

We were very very pleased with their work here! I really can't think of anything they could have done better. It really felt like they loved her like a family member, and took care of her both emotionally and physically. They were very easy to work with, and one aspect I particularly liked was that they had a single all-inclusive price. It made it much easier to budget her finances. I would definitely recommend taking a look at this place, they do a fantastic job.

Provide the best care possible

Now this is a good place. If I had moved my mom I would have tried to move her here. I met with them for probably an hour and they don't really have a specific memory care and they're not really considered skilled nursing but I think they're as close as you can get without being actually called that. The nurse who runs things, I talked with her a long time and I also heard from othewrs, like the social worker with hospice and she said the care there is unbelievable and she would not get any better care anywhere for any price. I could tell meeting with the nurse that she would not put up with any negligence and she said her staff of CNA's had been with them for many years, they also monitored what the residents ate. I don't think I would have felt any anxiety about the way she would be cared for and that's a big thing.

Carmel Hills is a Continuing Care Retirement Community for Christians. We have specialized in the care and encouragement of the Lord’s people for over 30 years. Our long-term staff consists of trained, experienced, and friendly people who are all interested in the safety and security of our residents. Residents will find our staff capable, dependable, and a joy to be around. Our assisted living care center has been awarded a 4-Star Adult Care Rating Certificate by the State of North Carolina.

Carmel Hills is located on 15 acres of land on Carmel Road in southeast Charlotte, NC. Our main building has the atmosphere of a retreat lodge, and includes a comfortable lounge/meeting room with a large fire place, plus a large covered porch overlooking a one acre lake. Throughout the campus, there are walkways through the woods, and areas for rest and relaxation.

Carmel Hills offers independent living in a variety of apartment sizes & duplex cottages, plus an assisted living care center operating 24 hours a day for those needing assistance with daily living. Carmel Hills is home to approximately 70 residents, who enjoy activities such as socializing, devotions, exercise classes, gardening, shopping trips, movie nights, and organized games.