CareOne at Wayne Assisted Living - Wayne, NJ

My father's 9 night stay at Care Not

My father, 88 yrs. old, had Alzheimer's and laryngeal cancer. I dealt with the social worker at St. Mary's Hosp. in Passaic to help place my father. I asked if Care One would be able to accommodate his needs. She spoke with someone there & explained his situation, so I felt they could take care of him. But after getting there late evening the respiratory doctor told my brother & I to go home, get some rest, they know their jobs, they'll take care of him. They didn't have two important medicines he needed when we got there & I had to drive home and bring them back! He needed one-on-one care and they could not accommodate him, expected me to live there 24/7. At one point when he tried to get up during the night when I wasn't there in the beginning the nurse or aide tried to get him to go back to bed & injured the top of his hand really bad, scraped the skin off! When I requested several times to speak with [name removed], the director, she was never available. He had a trach & could choke at anytime. All they did was give him meds, check his vitals. The PT girls were very nice & helpful. The head nurse would just tell me they can't take someone off the floor to stay with him. Well, they knew his illnesses and should have just said in the beginning they couldn't accommodate him! Also, at one point I tried the suction machine and it wasn't working. "I" had to inform the nurse and she was able to fix it but that took time and if my father was choking he wouldn't have made it or would have suffered lack of oxygen and maybe passed out. If your loved one is able to be on their own it might be a nice place. If they really need to be cared for, find somewhere else. Some pluses would be the snacks they offer in the front foyer and there were some very nice people who worked there. The facility is probably like most of these nursing home/assisted living places where the bottom line is money. After 8 days in this place I requested how do we go about discharge immediately and they offered to have an aide from an agency stay that night so they could work on discharging my father with whatever they have to do for that. I reluctantly agreed but went back at 10 pm to bring clean clothes & meet the aide, and while I was helping my father with things I looked over at the aide in the chair & her eyes were closed like she was sleeping. I said, "excuse me, what if you are sleeping and my father gets up?" She said, "he has an alarm on." I felt she was useless, getting paid to sleep on the job. I was totally exhausted at that point and went home to try to get some sleep because I was bringing my dad back to my house where he could get decent proper care. No, I would not go back there.

CareOne at Wayne is a lovely community with lots to offer their residents including a sub acute nursing floor if needed. The resident family contact was amazing and very knowledgeable. She went way out of her way to help me with my search and help find a place for my Mom.

Lots of staff turn over

My sister-in-law is in the memory care here and some of the staff are wonderful but there is also a very large turnover in the staff and the management so that has been an issue as is the food that is served in the Memory Care. My sister-in-law has a nice room and the community itself is very nice we like to take her out in the courtyard when we visit as she just loves it out there.

This was not a good choice for my mom

We had hoped that CareOne at Wayne was going to work out for the type of care my mother was going to need. We were upfront with them about her dementia and they did do an assessment before she was accepted and we moved her there. But in the end, they could not address my mothers needs and they informed me that I would have to arrange for an outside aid to come in and give my mother the one on one care she had to have in order for her to remain there. I made those arrangements at an additional cost but in the end, CareOne still could not accommodate my mother so we were forced to move her to another facility.

Not The Place For Us

On the tour I felt my parent would not fit in. This was more cheaper but I did not like how it was set up.

Think twice.

I was in rehab Jan. 2017. First impression was that rooms are poorly maintained ... walls need painting, plumbing needs repair and poorly staffed.

Nightly noise was terrible with patients screaming for help. Thought I was in insane asylum.

Food was very good.

Physical and occupational therapy was excellent!

If it wasn't for the therapy I would not return.

Lots of staff! This is a very nice facility and the staff is very friendly; And lots of them! LOVE the fact that it has a rehab/sub-acute attached and so it covers all the bases of need. I feel confident that Mom would have been in good hands here. However, it is not quite the 'homey, house-like' feel we have in mind.

A Fast Move-In

Based on my advisor's referral to this home everything is good now. I needed to have a home for my dad right away. CareOne had my dad ready to move in within one hour from the rehab he was being discharged from. The staff really helped me out with the care my dad needs. The staff are compassionate and communicate with me.[Removed] was very helpful and made the connection for an easy move-in.

No Too much like nursing home Even smelled like it