Green Hill Retirement Community - West Orange, NJ

Green Hill, located in West Orange, New Jersey, is among the most experienced senior living communities providing over 140 years of compassionate personal care.

Green Hill offers a catered lifestyle for the more independent senior providing task-free living while assuring a customized plan able to change over time with ones evolving needs.

Our Assisted Living provides a helping hand when you need it most. Our fully licensed, long tenured staff is dedicated to providing the least restrictive level of care so residents can maintain their independence, while providing the reassurance of having quality nursing staff nearby.

Our skilled nursing and rehabilitative unit offers private and semi-private accommodations and provides a warm homelike environment providing 24 hour quality care.

To help adjust to our community we offer a test drive of each lifestyle, from the very independent senior to those needing more support, to the medically dependent needing 24 hour nursing care. Ask about our short stay option.

Green Hill is dedicated to providing quality care and superior services to all of our residents. Whatever your lifestyle, Green Hill continues its traditions, started long ago to maintain a warm and friendly environment providing support and assistance to seniors and their families.

An exceptional choice for your loved one

My mother lived in House 121 at Green Hill for nearly five years before her death at the age of 93. I cannot say enough about the personal care and attention she received there. I never had a moment's worry while she lived at Green Hill. Staff let me know what she needed and nurses called me if she had any physical issues. The attending physician also called me if she was ill or needed medical attention to explain all the details. The staff know each resident's habits and preferences and make every effort to accommodate their needs and desires. They are attentive and kind with each resident. I rarely announced my visits in advance, but always found my mother clean and well-dressed, with hair and nails done. Her private room and bathroom, as well as the house in general, were always well-kept. The administrative staff were also always helpful and prompt to reply to my questions. One example of the personal attention: when the director, Toni , learned that my mother liked to read the morning paper, she began sending over her personal copy each day. When I was with my mother during the last 28 hours of her life, the house staff tended to us both gently. They genuinely mourned her passing; one of the house staff came to the viewing at the funeral home, representing those who were working and couldn't attend. I highly and wholeheartedly recommend Green Hill.

Great experience for my grandma!

I highly recommend Green Hill rehab center. My Grandma was brought to Green Hill after she was in the hospital for falling. Besides being extremely nice and clean the caretakers were extremely helpful. My grandma was catered to at any given time and received great physical therapy to get herself back to a position where she could go back home. I went to visit her a few times and I was also greeted kindly by the staff. The room she was in was very clean & well kept. The food was always cooked fresh and there was a lot for her to do. I would recommend anyone looking for rehab to check out Green Hill.
Side note: thank you to a dear friend of mine, Mandy Zucarelli who works at Green Hill & always made sure my grandma was happy and well taken care of.

Welcoming to Family Visitors

Green Hill makes it easy to have family gatherings. We are able to reserve one of the many beautiful common rooms or outside areas and bring in whatever food and decorations we want. The staff is extremely welcoming and makes us feel at home, we never feel like we are crowded or in the way. The caring staff members are also very talented at creating events and parties that family members can attend.

Excellent Facility

I don't think there is anything they could improve on. My friend is the resident there and he says they have excellent customer service and they are friendly and they go out of their way to greet him and see to his needs. the facilities are fantastic. Everyone was extremely helpful in the transition to the move-in. Totally accommodating and very engaged.

Green Hill Is the Best!

Our father spent his last months at Green Hill. The care, facility and everything else was absolutely the very best.
And the food was even better! I cannot say enough about the personal attention given to our father. Highest recommendation!

Stephanie Hogan

Thank you so much for your kind words!

My mom has been a resident at Green Hill for the past 6 years, first in assisted living and now for the past 4 years in the Green House Homes. I feel so lucky that she is able to reside in such a wonderful and warm place. The Green house homes have not only been a perfect place for her to be taken care of, but for me as well. It is such a wonderful environment where you get to know the aides and nurses intimately and you really do feel like you are entering her home. I feel completely comfortable when I visit, it feels like visiting family; not only the staff, but the other resident's family members as well. I can't say enough about the quality of care, the activities provided and the support of management at Green Hill throughout the last 6 years. My mom and I thank you Green Hill!

Stephanie Hogan

Thank you for the positive feedback. We greatly appreciate your kind words!

Amazing Facility

Amazing facility. My Grandfather was supposed to only be there for a few weeks after his fall, and ended up staying almost 3 months! He didn't want to leave, he loved the staff as did I. Great quality of care, I would recommend this home to anyone who wants the best care for their loved ones.

Stay away!

I found this place to be dated, dirty, and depressing. I did not get a warm feeling from the staff and found out that nepotism runs rampant there. People are in roles there not because they are qualified, but because they are friends or family members.

The Administrator is brash and arrogant and gave me the impression that it was her way or the highway. I would never place my parents here.

OOH!

Its not a nursing home, its a retirement community!

The community was outdated, and depressing

We toured here when we were looking into options. The community was outdated, and depressing, especially in the memory care unit. I felt that for what you would pay, there was not enough attention being paid, and the activities were non-existent.

Stephanie Hogan

Thank you for your feedback. We are continually making updates to all areas of our community. We offer an abundant amount of activities all throughout our community including a tailored club designed specifically for our residents with Alzheimer’s or memory needs. The club is designed to keep our residents engaged all day from 9 to 5 including meals where staff join the residents also. Our extensive list of activities are offered seven days a week and include exercise programs, religious services, art classes, excursions to malls, parks, restaurants and much more! Please feel free to tour again and talk to some of our residents or their family members, they are not shy they will tell you like it is.

Green Hill...a real "find".

My dad has been a resident of Green Hill since November of 2014. He is 90 years old,independent and has enjoyed all the wonderful amenities offered. From the meals prepared so professionally each day, the kindness, caring and friendly atmosphere and the activities so well planned, this is what Green Hill is all about. As well the staff is supportive and attentive to all your needs. From the moment I toured Green Hill, I knew this was the place for my dad. As you walk in, you see a beautiful and well kept facility. You feel as if you were in a hotel. I know every individual's personality is different. Fortunately my dad is happy and friendly, so he fit in perfectly, meeting new friends, the minute he arrived. We also decorated his apartment with family memorabilia which made his transition even easier. I would highly recommend Green Hill. It was a real find.

We chose this facility for my aunt for many reasons, but most important of them was the staff. They are very kind, helpful, and professional. Above that, they all seem to love their jobs and the residents. We were worried about my aunt because she didn't seem to be getting out much, or spending time with friends. At Green Hill, she is out and about all day. She goes to all the activities -- and there are many -- and she has made some new friends. The staff check on her all the time, and help her when she has even the slightest difficulty. Also, the entertainment and meals are such that she has not had to spend money on movies or buy herself anything since she arrived. I would warmly recommend this residence for your loved ones. Also, there are pet bunnies.

Looked nice during the tour

I toured this community when I was looking into options for my loved one. This was a nice looking place, it was clean and well kept, and the staff all seemed very friendly. It wasn't the option we ended up choosing, but overall it looked like they would be able to provide good care and comfortable atmosphere.

Under consideration. Concer...

Under consideration. Concern about amount of $20,000 for Care for Life admission fee as well as duration that private pay will be required.

Stephanie Hogan

We appreciate you taking the time to tour our community! A lot is taken into consideration when applying for Care for Life. Filling out our application is the best way to find out if you're eligible for this wonderful program.

High care level offerings with indepe...

High care level offerings with independent, assisted living and nursing home levels; solid Medicaid transition policy. I think our parents could actually enter here at the Independent Living level and stretch monies more than 2 yrs for that.

High care level offerings with indepe...

High care level offerings with independent, assisted living and nursing home levels; solid Medicaid transition policy. A small entrance fee of about 30,000 for a couple guarantees them care for life here!

Liked this. Tiny rooms, though, and n...

Liked this. Tiny rooms, though, and no kitchen.

Stephanie Hogan

We're so glad you took the time to come in and check us out! We do have many choices and accommodations available including apartments of all different sizes (studios, one bedrooms and even two bedrooms!) All meals are included in the price of the apartment, some apartments even include a kitchenette area and we can also provide a microwave and refrigerator free of charge.