Brookwood Retirement Community - Cincinnati, OH

Bad Experience

Terrible experience here! This facility is [Removed] and does not take care of their residents!!

They Would Be Better For Someone Else

I met with them and it was just not the place we wanted. It might have been good for someone else. The tour was good for me to see what it is like here.

A good place

This community was nice and would have been acceptable, however the independent living area was not the size mom was looking for. The staff were friendly and the community seemed clean.

Avoid Brookwood!!!

My advice to all is avoid Brookwood at all cost. Especially if you are there for rehab. They almost let my mother die, because of inept nursing care. I personally had to send her to the emergency room because of a dangerously low oxygen saturation level. She had to be out on a respirator to keep her breathing. The so called RN, did not think she needed anything. Being In the medical business I new better. The aides were rough with her, at one point accusing her of relieving herself in a garbage can in her room. My mother could not stand at that point. Reported to administration nothing was done. I could go on. But you get the picture.

A Great Place excepot

A great place except the residents usually say hello but make little effort to be friendly, which is OK with me. I am a loner. There is what I call "The Queens High Table." 6-8 women who claim a certain table as their own. I have no problem with people always sitting at the same table, but they are so nasty. which upsets the servers who become diffident, Food is good. Every thing else is excellent particularly the lady concierges.

This was not a good experience for us! We were admitted to the Rehab facility for a short stay and we could not wait to leave. There is minimal staff and rude nurses. If you care about your loved one you will find somewhere else for them to stay.

My mother loves it. She's so happy.

My mother loves it. She's so happy. We toured a lot of places and the Brookwood Retirement Community seemed to be the best choice. The important thing is that my mother is happy. Her happiness is above and beyond anything else. It must be a great facility for her to be so happy. The cleanliness is excellent. The friendliness is excellent. The staff was very nice when we toured the facility. They were great.

get more nursing care with experience

I was a resident there with medical and rehab needs. Rehab was fantastic and helped me to get to walk again. Nursing, wound care services were not good. Had to be taken back to hospital ER at midnight because my wound care services and nursing care did not have right supplies or the experience to care adequately for me. Extremely upset with nursing lack of care. Too many patients for RN nursing care too many lazy care givers of lower levels. Food was not good and the kitchen never could get orders correct, broken dishwasher ate off of plastic plates and it was nevered delivered appropriately. The State should really review.

Filthiest place in the Cincinnati area.

This is the worst filthy disgusting senior place in the cincinnati area by all means government- The Ohio health department ought to shut it down; it is indeed a health hazard for our elderly.
The third floor is horrific the smell in each corridor is so overwhelming the carpet the walls are so creepy.
Staff are overworked and are underpaid yet leaders and management are completely negligence of their duties.
Please do not send your loved ones to rehab.
Avoid enrolling your parents especially on the third floor.

Friendly, helpful staff

Overall things have gone very well at Brookwood! It's a nice looking community, and they do a great job keeping everything clean and well kept. I thought that the nurses were excellent, and they always took the time to help and answer questions whenever I had them. They also seemed to have a good variety of activities going on to keep the residents busy!

Nice looking community

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for a loved one. Overall this was a nice looking place, the facility itself was clean, and the staff we met were friendly and helpful. We ended up choosing a different community based on past experiences with them, but this place is definitely worth a look!

My mother fell at home and went here ...

My mother fell at home and went here for rehab, she fractured her shoulder and ended up maxing out her 100 days. We decided not to stay because I wasn't really 100% comfortable with what was there. I don't think they could have done anything to change that. It was clean and she did recieve rehab, part of our concern was she was starting to reach the point where she wasn't improving any longer and we as a family, and with mom's very strong position of "I've got a home, I can move back to it," we said alright and on the morning of the day she was going to move back, I got a call at 4 am saying she had fallen and gone to the hospital. She messed her face up, her eye, fractured her shoulder and with that she maxed out her 100 days. Part of my disappointment with them is they allowed to her to get out of bed, she was a fall risk already and she wasn't restrained to keep her from falling.

This looks like a GRRREAT l...

This looks like a GRRREAT location! Fingers crossed! And Lynne spells her first name with an 'e'.

Month-Ind/Assist mixed-clea...

Month-Ind/Assist mixed-clean-all meals+Sun brunch-pool 1=525=2550 2=959=3250

Great place. Clean, enjoyable with g...

Great place. Clean, enjoyable with good size studio room. Many activities. It rates 4 1/2 stars.

Received tour from a staff member who...

Received tour from a staff member who admittedly wasn't very knowledgable, but was very nice. Remodeled apartments were very nice. Passed through some areas however that gave me the feeling there could be cleanliness concerns in some areas.

Clean, nice atmosphere, Mom would hav...

Clean, nice atmosphere, Mom would have to navigate between floors to get to dining room etc. Doctors etc. come to facility. Beauty parlor, banking on sight. Mom would have to go to nurses station for her meds.

Brookwood Retirement Community is a Continuing Care Retirement Community. Brookwood offers Independent and Assisted Living Apartments, short term skilled nursing, and long term care all within the same facility.

Brookwood’s apartments are duel certified, meaning they are all both Independent and Assisted Living. This allows us to be very flexible in many different scenarios. We are able to provide services in an ala carte fashion, transition people from Independent to Assisted Living without switching apartments, and keep couples together even if they need different levels of care.

Brookwood’s skilled nursing has recently received a perfect State Survey, and has a 4 star Medicare rating. All nursing and therapy staff have been trained in cardiac recovery, which allows us to safely care for residents after difficult cardiac surgery. Brookwood also has a specialized wound nurse, who is specifically trained to care for even the most difficult wounds, and work with local physicians on wound care. Brookwood also offers lymphademia therapy, aquatic therapy, specialized dementia specialists in therapy, and one on one treatment.

City Info

Cincinnati is a walkable city with comfortable temperatures, as well as good support systems for veterans.

- Walkability: Walk Score has given Cincinnati a walkability score of 59, making it one of the most walkable cities in the entire county.

- Median age in zip code: 45.9

- Average weather: Cincinnati has an average temperature of 54.65°F, with an annual high of 64.8°F and an annual low of 44.5°F.

- Veteran's facilities: Veterans are well supported in Cincinnati, with both a Veterans Affairs medical center and a community-based outpatient clinic.

Transportation

Cincinnati has a robust public transit system, as well as a variety of more private transportation options.

- Buses: The Metro transit system provides an easy way to get around Cincinnati, with nearly 50 different routes. Metro services are also 100% ADA-accessible, with a wheelchair lift or ramp on every bus.

- Taxi services include RiverFront Taxi, TAXI MAXX, Elite Taxi, and Aladdin Taxi.

- The rideshare services Uber and Lyft are both available in Cincinnati. Seniors can easily download one of the service apps on their phone, and find a ride.

Health and Safety

Cincinnati provides lots of options for health care, including some focused on the needs of seniors.

- Hospitals: Cincinnati boasts 33 hospitals, including the Christ Hospital, which has an outpatient geriatric center.

Sports and Leisure

Cincinnati offers all sorts of options for sports and leisure, whether you're interested in golf, tennis, or senior-focused physical activities.

- Golf courses: There are dozens of public courses and private clubs in Cincinnati, including the top-rated Shaker Run Golf Club, Stonelick Hills, and Lassing Pointe.

- Tennis courts: With nearly three hundred public tennis courts and over a hundred private tennis clubs, Cincinnati provides lots of options for getting on the court.

- Gyms: The Cincinnati Recreation Commission runs more than twenty recreation centers in Cincinnati. They offer many seniors programs, including such activities as sports and dance.

Shopping and Entertainment

There are all sorts of shopping and entertainment options in Cincinnati, whether you're looking for a bite to eat, a Hollywood blockbuster, or an afternoon in an art gallery.

- Clothes shopping: Cincinnati offers many options for clothes shopping, including the Tower Place Mall, a three-level shopping center containing dozens of shops.

- Grocery stores: There are hundreds of grocery stores in Cincinnati, with options for any price point.

- Restaurants: With thousands of restaurants covering a wide range of cuisines, it's easy to find a satisfying meal in Cincinnati.

- Movie theaters: Cincinnati's nine movie theaters not only make it simple to see Hollywood's new releases, but they also offer discounts for seniors.

- Libraries: The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County has dozens of branches in Cincinnati.

- Attractions: Cincinnati abounds with interesting attractions, including the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden, the Newport Aquarium, the Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal, the Krohn Conservatory, the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center, the Cincinnati Art Museum, and the Taft Museum of Art.

Religious Facilities

Cincinnati offers religious facilities for people of many faiths, whether Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, or Buddhist.