Brookdale Kenwood - Cincinnati, OH

My mother broke her hip nearly 2 years ago. Because of the changing level of care she has needed, she has moved multiple times. The experience at Brookdale Kenwood has been one of the best .

The executive director, activities director are amazing and more than helpful and accommodating. the care and nursing staff are kind and gentle and take good care of my mother.

I would highly recommend Brookdale Kenwood.

Friend Is Well In This Community

My friend is doing well with the move to this community. Everything is working out well. He is safe, and in good hands. I do feel comfortable with his move to this community. It is a nice facility with kind people. All is well for my friend with his move to this community.

Good Tour of This Facility

I toured this community for my father, and his needs. The tour went well for the most part. The community appeared to be well-kept from what I saw. The staff I met was kind, and friendly. Everyone was very kind, and the experience went well overall.

Friendly Care

I toured this community for the care of a friend. The staff was nice and helpful to answer the questions I had on the care that is offered. The meals were appealing and they offered a lot of nice activities for the residents. I would recommend that families tour this community for the care of a loved one.

A great staff

I can not speak highly enough of the staff at this community. They are encouraging, supportive and answer our questions. The food is very good and they keep the community well taken care of. I would recommend this community.

Please don't be fooled

Our mother lived here and we were never so grateful to get her moved out. After countless complaints about the smell of urine, lack of staff and the staff that were there being clueless- we had enough! Our mother suffered many falls due to lack of supervision. The executive director talked all around the issues instead of correcting or giving results. We allowed her to attempt to "fix things" but it simply did not happen. It was a terrible experience for all of us and we wish we would not have allowed our mother to live here. The Executive Director will tell you that they are full staffed, when they are not. We were fooled, and we hope that other families are not fooled.

All is Well for My Mother in Law at This Community

My mother in law is doing great here at this community. It is a great place, and we are satisfied with her move here. They do a good job keeping everything neat, and tidy. The staff is good, they have been attentive, and very helpful. They are encouraging to her to try the activities they offer, and she has tired a few of them. The meals are great, she is very pleased with the food. We know she is being provided with good care, and in a safe environment. All is well so far, and I would recommend this community.

My thoughts after a short time

The management at Brookdale are great! Unfortunately it is difficult industry wide to get qualified, caring aids. I know they try to be diligent about their room aids, but some are not as compassionate and attentive as I would like. Nurses seem to be caring. Managers are quick to listen and gracious to get issues resolved. My mom does not participate in the activities, although the folks at Brookdale do encourage that.
I moved mom from another facility. And she does seem to enjoy it more. She needs quite a bit of care as she is in very poor health. my concern is that they can continue to provide the level of care they promised before I decided to move her.

Nice facility geared towards seniors who need more assistance. Rooms are nice, but show the facilities age.

My Mother Is Doing Good Here

My mother is well here at this community. I'am satisfied with her move here, it's a good community. For the most part they do a good job with the cleanliness. They have a great staff here. There are activities available for her when she is ready to participate. She says most of the meals are good. I know she is safe and in good hands here. This is a community I would recommend, it has worked out well for us.

This is a wonderful place!!!

Things are going really well at Brookdale. The staff are really awesome. There is good communication with them. The food is good and they offer a variety of healthy choices. They have daily activities including karaoke every afternoon. The community is clean and well taken care
of. I would recommend this community.

Early Impression

Initial experience at Brookdale very good. Only concern is the response time when Mom pushes her call button. We'll see how this evolves in the weeks ahead.

Friendly, attentive staff

We are very pleased by how things have gone at Brookdale Place of Kenwood so far. The staff here is friendly and responsive to all questions from care to billing. They are very attentive and respond quickly to the needs of the residents. I like that they are trying to get her involved in community activities. It is a very nice place, overall!

Brookdale good and not so good

Brookdale is trying to be good. There are some talented people there that make the place go for seniors but they are under staffed and under trained. So even though it is a knowable small community they do not effectively communicate to the workers their standards for care. If they did it would really work well. That said it is a clean supportive environment and they meet regularly to assess needs of the residents. They are also open to discussing needs and limitations truthfully. Sometimes adjustments are made sometimes not. But they genuinely want to make it work for their residents.

Claire Bridge memory care unit

Brookdale Place of Kenwood has an assisted living unit and a memory care unit. My mother was in their memory care unit from April 2013 through June 2014.

PROs:
+ The staff is caring and the residents are treated with respect and dignity.
+ A nurse is on-site 24 hours a day.
+ There is definitely a sense of community among the residents, families and staff and people there look out for one another.
+ The place is not perfect, but if there is a problem it gets resolved (ex: a new medical/wellness director took over in Feb. 2014; Kim provided extremely valuable assistance in addressing a pressure sore my mother had).

CONs:
- There were numerous occasions when they were understaffed, resulting in less care and attention for the residents and greater workload for the caregivers.
- There was a rather high staff turnover while my mother was there.
- Many of the planned memory care activities did not occur while my mother was there.
- Resolving billing issues is very difficult.

Price is too high (Chandeli...

Price is too high (Chandelier effect) Kelli was very pleasant, but while we were in the Dementia unit, we came across a lady that had fallen off her chair with no one around(had we not come along, she would still be there!) and several people wandering aimlessly unattended. My mother needs a quiet space with aides handier and less glitz and glamour!

neglect and bed bugs

If you are looking for a place for your lkved ones to die then they are great. The place is sickening. The smell hits you soon as you walk in. Women who are wheelchair bound are pushe to the corners and left for hours. Call response time is a two hour wait. The nursing staff is clueless ecspecially Pam the head nurse. She does nothing. You never see her with the patients and Dolores will never answer your questions correctly and acts if though you ars burden. The one they call Sherry is nothi g but a two faced liar. There are some great aids and they know who they are. I dont know how they survive there with such terrible management. To get to my last point my good friend had an ulcer on his foot since beginning of December. Told them that i thought it was infected and they said it wasnt and they are taking care of it. Needless to say they did not take care of so today I went over and was informed he had MRSA. This place has lawsuit all over it. We took him staright to the emergency room and will not be returning to Brookdale. Oh, and i almost for got they have a continuing bed bug problem.

Danger zone, and not the Kenny Loggins kind.

My father has ended up with MRSA from a infection due to severe negligence from their staff. He had bed sores that haven't been treated, had to wait hours for a response on his page, they would not give him medications when he needed them or medications were missing and not addressed. Horrible horrible horrible.

Brookdale Claire Bridge

My brother and I are very appreciative of the care our mother received at Brookdale's Clairebridge Unit. It is a small unit - very quiet and controlled which is just right for someone suffering from dementia. The staff were caring, respectful, and helpful.

Care concerns but things are improving

My mother ended up with some pretty severe bed sores and she did end up in the hospital. We're working with them and with hospice in order to get these healed so I don't have, at this moment, the specfics as to whether she had these when she arrived but I do know if she did they got much more serious while she was there. We had a big meeting about that and things have been improving since we had that, there were not a whole lot of specifics just that they were going to do everything they could to make sure it didn't happen again. We decided to move her there on the basis that she wouldn't have to move again and so far things have been improving.

Billing Issues

It's pretty clean and the staff is pretty friendly. It's the first time my father has been in a place. He doesn't participate in he activities and his health isn't that good but it's not their fault. I guess they're doing the best they can with him. Their billing is a little frustrating. There was a late charge and I took care of it and I keep getting the same bill with the late charge. I told them to take care of it and they haven't done it yet; it's aggrivating when I get the bill.

Small issues but Great Community

The community is clean and well maintained. The staff is friendly and very nice. The food is very nice. Everything in this community is very good. We have had a couple of communication issues with them and some unnecessary calls but we feel like it is just part of the adjustment stage. Overall it is a very good community and we are hoping it only gets better.

Great place for my father

So I'd been looking all over the place for a good permanent home for my father. I'd had so many bad options just from care quality and pricing prior to Brookdale. Dad's been in need of a lot of care, pretty much to where most other places would consider it full-time nursing care. Brookdale has been great with everything. He has his own apartment with all his meals provided, gets assistance with anything he needs - including the 1-2 people to help him move when he needs to do so, help bathing, grooming, with medicine, with everything.

He likes it a lot so far. It doesn't feel like a hospital, doesn't smell like one and it seems that they generally don't treat their residents like they're in a nursing home/hospital. The people there seem like they genuinely care about what they do and enjoy it and want to be there. They encourage animals to be there and had a "house" cat for awhile as well as a little mini aviary in one of the sitting rooms with finches and doves. The facility is gorgeous and in addition to everything great there, they have outings to go to dinner, go to the symphony with other residents. My dad hasn't made it out yet but we're only about 3-4 weeks in thus far and he's still getting used to everything and meeting everyone.

The food seems good and my father is generally picky about it and said it's good, so that's saying something. They have also helped him get back into physical therapy which someone comes a few times a week to help him with and they also have a house doctor who checks up on everyone and they've all been terrific. They keep me informed and bring things to my attention.

You know this place is worth consideration when the last time I visited my dad, I walked into the big living room/lobby area and there were a bunch of staff and residents playing volleyball with an inflatable smiley face ball and a net :)

Also, in terms of the cost of other facilites with less privacy, more additional expenses and people who generally don't seem to enjoy their jobs, from what I could tell, the price is right. They separate the values between living arrangements and care. The nice part being, if you or your loved one are recovering from something, need more care to start and improve and need less help with things, your monthly cost will reduce. It's also nice knowing that once you get to a certain point in the care, the cost will never go up.

Very nice...concerned with 2 levels a...

Very nice...concerned with 2 levels and staircase. Location -too far.

Director was very interested in my mo...

Director was very interested in my mothers situation and this would have been my choice except for Carriage Court.

We had a good visit with director on ...

We had a good visit with director on Friday night. We had fried fish and a couple of Buds too. We reserved a room, requested an assessment for Monday and put down a deposit. The staff was very nice at Brookdale. Thanks for your help.

No visit (nice call with staff, very ...

No visit (nice call with staff, very honest and helpful).

We have toured Brookdale and really l...

We have toured Brookdale and really liked it. Parking was our only draw back.

Very impressed. Saw studio apt and a...

Very impressed. Saw studio apt and a 1 bd apt w/living room.

Brookdale Place of Kenwood provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.

Our Optimum Life® and Celebrations programs provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches the lives of our residents, their families and associates alike. Optimum Life® is a journey of self-discovery including services, features and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful. As part of Optimum Life® we encourage our residents to celebrate life each day. Inspired dining and vibrant lifestyle activities come together in our Celebrations program filling the monthly calendar with themed experiences, special events and group activities that highlight different cultures and cuisines in a common venue of camaraderie. The community boasts a well-stocked library, a bistro, and meticulously landscaped grounds with a courtyard and garden.