Brookdale Cypress Station - Houston, TX

Brookdale Place Cypress Station
provides our residents with lifestyles, housing, care and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale’s signature Personalized Assisted Living we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each resident the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Our residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the proper lifestyle and care accommodations as their needs change.

At Brookdale Place Cypress Station
we promise Respect for Individual Preferences and offer personalized care needs in an atmosphere that encourages each resident to live in health and longevity.

Brookdale Place Cypress Station provides a comfortable lifestyle, housing, care and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs and care. Our residents enjoy life with any support they need, coupled with the appropriate accommodations as their needs change.

Our community is dedicated to enriching the lives of our residents every day with signature services to those who value their freedom and independence, but desire or need services providing them with the highest level of quality, care and value.

Our Clare Bridge Place program serves those with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. Each day, we promise to work to deliver Daily Moments of Success for each resident. The Clare Bridge Daily Path provides structure and activities each day designed to meet specific needs of those with dementia, while the Clare Bridge Dining Program, designed by a gerontologist and registered dietician, helps residents retain the ability to enjoy and master the daily dining experience.

Brookdale Cypress Station is located in Houston, Texas. Residents will find the surroundings comfortable with exceptional care.

City Info

- Population of City: Houston is the most-populous city in the state of Texas and the fourth largest city in the United States.

- Diverse City: Houston is the biggest ethnically diverse city in the country. Over 90 languages are spoken in the city. More than 400,000 undocumented immigrants live in the area.

- Income Lines: Close to 20% of the population live below the poverty line.

- Average Age in City: The average age of a person living in Houston is 32 years old.

- Weather: Houston's climate is considered humid subtropical but it is not in Tornado Alley. During summer months, days will reach 90 degrees. Houston gets very mild winters, as temperature usually range in the 50's during winter months.

- Senior Housing Facilities: As Houston is a large city, you will find a wide variety of senior housing facilities in the area (well over 200).

- Veteran's Facilities: The Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center is located in Houston. The hospital serves as the primary health care provider for almost 130,000 veterans in southeast Texas.

Transportation

There are over 740 miles of freeways and expressways in Houston. The city has the fourth-worst congestion in the country, which is why public transportation is so important to many people living in the metro area.

- Transit Systems: The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County provides public transportation in the form of buses, light rail and lift vans.

- Trains: Amtrak provides service three times a week to Houston via the Sunset Limited.

- Cycling: The metro area has the largest number of bike commuters in Texas. The Houston B-Cycle currently operates 29 different stations in downtown and neighboring areas.

- Airports: Houston is served by three airports. The primary airport is George Bush Intercontinental Airport, which is the 10th busiest in the U.S. The other airports in the city are the William P. Hobby Airport and the Ellington Airport.

Health and Safety

- Hospitals: Houston is home to the Texas Medical Center, which is the world's largest research and healthcare institution. More heart surgeries are performed at TMC than anywhere else in the world.

- Crime Rate: Houston had 302 homicides in the year of 2016, which is ranked 46th in the U.S. with large city populations. Houston is a huge hub for trafficking of drugs, including cocaine and heroin. They are also one of the largest hubs in the U.S. for human trafficking. Even though crime is high, residents and families can feel safe because the Houston Police Department does an excellent job of keeping residents safe.

Sports and Leisure

Sports Teams: Houston has sports teams for many professional leagues, including:
- The Houston Astros are the Major League Baseball team in the city.
- The Houston Rockets are the National Basketball Association team in the city.
- The Houston Dynamo is the Major League Soccer team in the city.
- The Houston Dash is the National Women's Soccer League team in the city.
- The Scrap Yard Dawgs is the women's professional softball team in the city.

Gyms: There are a variety of gyms that seniors can go to or join throughout the metro Houston area, including:
- YMCA of Greater Houston, which has a program called Active Older Adults and Silver Sneakers, specially tailored for seniors.
- 24 Hour Fitness, which has a program called Active Aging, which is specifically tailored to seniors.

Shopping and Entertainment

Shopping: In 2010, Houston was rated the best city for shopping. The Galleria is located in the Uptown District and it is the largest shopping mall in the entire state of Texas.

Grocery Stores: There are a variety of grocery stores throughout metro Houston, both of large and small scale in size. Some of the more popular grocery stores include H-E-B Grocery, Food Town, and Phoenicia.

Restaurants: You will find just about any kind of restaurant in Houston. If you are looking for fine dining, you should try Brennan's. If you are looking for fast food, there is everything from McDonald's, Wendy's, Whataburger and Chick-fil-a. Some popular restaurants people enjoy include Vic & Anthony's Steakhouse, Hugo's and Rainbow Lodge.

Movie Theaters: The Theater District is a 17-block entertainment complex where you can catch a movie and dinner. Other movie theater options include River Oaks Theatre, AMC Studio 30 and AMC Willowbrook 24.

Libraries: There are over 40 public libraries in the city. The closest library to Brookdale Cypress Station is the Shepard-Acres Homes Neighborhood Library. The library is open 6 days a week, is on the bus line, has computer classes, and has health and fitness classes.

City of Houston Senior Programs: HPARD Senior Programs provide a variety of recreation and leisure activities for seniors at community centers throughout the metro Houston area. Some of the activities seniors can enjoy (most of them free of charge) include:
- Craft classes
- Fitness and walking clubs
- Field trips
- Special holiday events
- Senior Olympics
- Sports programs

Horrible

My friend used to live in Brookdale. It is absolutely horrible. The food is terrible and the staff is lax, lazy, and it’s plain that they don’t care about the residents. My friend has COPD, but would often be without his oxygen either because the caretakers let him out without it or because they didn’t plug in his battery. Residents were left for long periods of time unsupervised, and they often wondered around lost, unable to find their rooms, or possibly hurt from falling. We were able to move my friend elsewhere to a much better community, but I absolutely would not recommend Brookdale to others

Super Friendly Staff!

It's taking some time for our loved one to get acclimated and settled in at Brookdale Cypress Station. After at least 30 something years of being independent, it is quite an adjustment to get used to the schedules and routines. The staff is super friendly and they welcome everyone by name when we come to visit. Everyone from the management to the staff members they are very cooperative about any questions or concerns we have. They have a good maintenance team that responds in a timely manner. It is an older establishment but they seem to keep it well-maintained. Although our mom is not one to really participate in activities they do encourage her to engage. She does enjoy socializing in the dining room. They have lemonade and coffee for the residents any time of the day. They are taking good care of her and make sure she takes her medicine in a timely manner. She is doing really well with the supervision she is getting. We just want to make sure that mom is as happy and comfortable as she can be.

The Beginning Has Been Great

A Place For Mom helped us find a community for my mother-in-law and I appreciated their help. She loves her apartment and it is a reasonable price. The staff are super nice and she likes them too. When we were there, the staff were friendly with us. My mother-in-law loves the director of the community. We have no complaints about the community.

Not the right fit

Brookdale Cypress Station is a beautiful community. It was a very nice and clean facility. I didn't feel it would be a good fit for my loved one. I also did not think it was in a safe location.

Very Pleased

We are very pleased with our choice to move our parents into Brookdale Cypress Station. It is a nice and clean community. The staff is warm and welcoming when we come to visit our parents. The staff is very receptive to any questions or concerns regarding the care of my parents. We liked this community with the fact that they had accommodations for a married couple and still have plenty of living space, not just bedrooms. I haven't dined there with them yet but, my parents think the food is much better here than the last place they were living. They offer plenty of activities and my parents like to participate in them. In the center of the buildings, they have a nice patio area that is nicely landscaped for the residents to go outside and enjoy the fresh air. And there are a lot of front porches with rockers. This community was a good fit for our budget and we appreciated the discounts that came with it.

Good Care

We think that this community is really good. We liked the caring staff. The community has been able to give my mom good care, but we need something more. The community is clean and maintained. The menu is good and they offer good activities. My mom needed additional care, but we would highly recommend this community for the care of a loved one for the good care and value for others

kind Staff!!

My dad has recently moved into this community and so far everything has been going okay for him. The staff been very kind to him and attentive to all of his needs to the best of there ability. He has had no complaints about the meals and enjoys participating in activities from time to time with the other residents. The only problem I have run into is the fact that they are trying to pressure my mother into purchasing more care for him then he needs.

Going well so far

My father is doing very well. He moved from the memory care side to assisted living last week. He's participating in the activities. They even send me a slideshow of pictures while he's participating. I chose this community because of the amenities they provide.

So far so good

My grandma seems to like living at this community. She has told me she likes the staff and the food is good. They keep the community clean. They offer daily activities and I would recommend this community.

Wonderful place!

We couldn't be happier with Brookdale Cypress Station! The staff here is welcoming, friendly, and extremely accommodating! If you have any issues they always handle them right away, and the care they provide is excellent! Mom has really settled in well here. She loves the people, and she's had nothing but good things to say about the food. I highly recommend this place!

Poor accommodations!!

This was our least favorite choice out of all the communities we toured. The accommodations where not up to a standard I would want my loved one to live in. I would not recommend this facility to another friend or loved one.

Great accommodations!!

The facility really stood out to me. The accommodations where amazing and it was a beautiful community. Staff was very informative and helpful with our tour and very patient with our questions. They just seemed a little to over priced.

Some Improvments Needed.

This is a nice community. The staff is nice, but did not discuss my father's medication with me. The did not follow up on getting things done. My dad was happy with the food after some adjustments. They do have activities that are offered to him, but he is not wanting to participate yet. There are a few areas that we are working on and we might consider another facility. I am not happy with the community at this time, but hope to see some changes here.

Friendly Personal!!

I would really like some things to change. My son is not allowed to buy a meal and eat with his grandparents. They also don't allow my mother and father to eat together. I hope the community could bring up this issue. They offer activities but the staff does't really try for my loved ones to engage in them. I really like the atmosphere it's very positive.

Cypress Station feels like a community not a hospital!

Brookdale Cypress Station is a beautiful community. It is a bright newer community with a neutral color scheme. The community is laid out very well and the rooms are a great size. The staff were friendly and addressed all of my concerns. They do not continue care once resources have ceased.

It's excellent, I really like it.

It's excellent and I really like it. I really like how clean it is, and the living quarters are also really nice. I would give them a five.

It has been a struggle

Things are not going too good at the moment. It has been a struggle at Brookdale. I moved her in one day and by the next day one of the staff was telling me that she might have to leave because she needs more assistance than they can provide. There was an error in communication and I do not like the way that things have been handled there. I don't think things there are like they advertised. They have stretched the truth some. I feel like they are overcharging me and I have a grumble about that. If I to move her it is going to be very expensive, not to mention the extra costs and fees that I have already incurred with the facility.

Brookdale Senior Living

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We encourage you to call our Resident and Family Connections team so we can learn more details about your experience.

It's been pretty good so far.

It's been pretty good so far. They only thing I've really seen is it's a little short staffed on the evenings, around dinner time, and bedtime. Other than that, the maintenance and upkeep have been good, and we haven't had any other issues. The billing has been smooth and accurate. I would give them a four over all.

Overall great place

I am impressed with how efficient the facility runs. It seems whatever structure they are using is working.

food could be cooked a little more

The breakfast is superb there. The vegetables could be steamed a little more at lunch and dinner. The meat could be a little more tender. A lot of the food is being thrown away. I know it burns the calories or nutrients out when they cook it longer, but the trash is getting the food. The residents are not eating it, they always trash them.

Great staff and facility

I have been here about two months and so far I like everything. The people are really nice and they are good to the residents here. The food Is really good too, which is an added plus. Great staff and facility.

Good Value Overall

I would say that overall it is a very good value. The staff is very personable and they have been good about getting the residents to participate in the activities. The only thing they need to do is let people know upfront about various charges. Once I made the decision to go there, I am hit with all these hidden fees, so they need to explain that before-hand.

They are a little understaffed.

They are a little understaffed. they are a little slow to respond to a call button. but they are quick to answer my calls if I have questions. They could have more activities, there is only one thing in the morning, and a couple of things in the afternoon, and there isn't much participation. My loved one hasn't liked a lot of the food, but I would give it about a three and a half or so.

Brookdale Senior Living

Thank you for taking the time to visit and share your feedback. We will share your feedback with our management team.

A nice place.

The Brookdale Cypress Station is a nice place. They have a lot of activities that are interesting. Everything has been really good. The only thing is that my mother has had a lot of complaints about the food. The location of the Brookdale is fine. I would recommend this community to anyone. It has been a really good experience. We haven't had any major issues or concerns. I am really pleased with the services.

Hard to top!

We visited this community while looking into care options for a loved one, and we absolutely loved Brookdale Cypress Station! It is very clean, well decorated, and odor-free. It feels homey, more like a nice hotel than a senior community. The staff are friendly and attentive, and they do a great job with the meal service! I would pick this place for myself and that is how happy I am with it!

I liked it and the people were fine

We looked at a lot of different places. This was one of the ones we toured and considered. I liked all of the communities I visited, the people were all fine, and this was no exception. I just don't think this is the right fit for us, my loved ones don't want to leave their home.

Great Community, Happy Residents !

This community has a friendly staff and everyone greeted us when we came to visit. I moved my mother there because the. Apartments are spacious, the food is good and the residents are happy ( I actually asked several residents ). Great Place!

Review of Brookdale Place Cypress Station Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Houston, TX

Ok option, not too sure about memory care wing. Seemed too much like a hospital :( friendly staff, though

Did not have a good experience here

My loved one was here for a time and I did not think they did a good job at all. He fell more than once while he was here, and he was being over-medicated. Once we got him out of this place and off of the medicine they had him on to keep him sedated he started doing better.

She died before she got there and they still charged the entire amount there.

She died before she got there and they still charged the entire amount there. The community fee should have at least been refunded. I understand about a holding fee for the room but the entire amount. They wouldn't work with us. I don't know what their management policy is, but we were fleeced. Everybody was clean when I went there. There didn't seem to be any organized activities, but we didn't have much experience with that aspect or the care services.

Great place, very friendly staff!

We've had a great experience so far at this community. It's a smaller place, and I feel like my loved one is getting a lot of individual attention, and they are really getting to know him. They're very hands on, and actively work with the residents to try and figure out activities that will get them out of their shells. The staff are very friendly and treat the residents with respect.
One thing they could work on it being a bit more flexible with transportation for doctors appointments.

I Wasn't Keen on It

It is brand new, but I wasn't keen on it. It is not friendly. You have to kind of stand around and wait for someone to greet you. It is four stories which I think is a bad thing for seniors, especially in Houston; if we have a power outage from a hurricane then they are stuck. When we walked in, the staff was hollering at the people. It is a really nice place pretty-wise, but not otherwise. It is also very, very expensive. They quoted her just for starting at $3700 and everything else is added on. Extra money for everything like $5 or something for a load for laundry.

Great Care

She is not fully taking advantage, but they have lots of activities. They do bingo, exercise class, and they have a gentleman come in and play piano music. My mom is in assisted living, and they help with medication, showering, and extra nursing care with nausea when it's needed. They have a nurse on duty all the time. I ate the food the first day she moved in, and it was good. Staff interaction is good, I've seen them inviting residents for activities.

Great Community!

We moved my dad here 2 weeks ago. I'm very pleased with their care and the overall environment in this community. So far, very good.

Nice facility and size. Gre...

Nice facility and size. Great staff familiarity with residents. Have ambassadors for new residents. $90/mo to smoke.