Brighton Gardens of Omaha - Omaha, NE

It was a nice enough place, but the person giving me tour made it perfectly clear that I was not on their choice list, made even more clear with their followup email saying they could not work with me in breaking out the huge unexpected sign in costs into reasonable payments.

Staff is friendly and communicate with us very well

The staff members here are very warm, friendly, and concerned about my Mothers well-being. They take care of her really well and they communicate with us just fine. It is an older building but it is always picked up and clean. I really like that the dining room and the activities room are in close proximity. My mom has said the food is okay and it’s well balanced and nutritious. For activities, they offer things like exercise classes, get-togethers, and live entertainment. I would recommend this community to other families.

Looks like they have lots of activities!

I have only toured this facility. But having direct experience with 3 other communities and having toured half a dozen others, I have never seen a staff present itself better. Everyone I met was smiling and engaged. Even the FedEx delivery guy. They have such a great attitude it is contagious. And most importantly, the residents also catch the attitude. All other aspects were there too in terms of services and amenities.

Amazing Place!!

My loved one has recently made the move into this community and I can't say enough great things about this community. My mother is busy with different things to do from the moment she wakes up to the moment she goes to bed. They have a lot of activities going on throughout the morning and often taken them on different outings during lunch time. I like that they also often hold events in the evenings for the family members to go and enjoy with there loved ones. I would highly recommend this place filled with great food, fun activities, and a great staff to anyone interested.

Care for mom

We like this community. The staff is very helpful and caring. We do like that they are attentive. The community is clean and I have liked the meals that I have had with her in this community. They offer her a lot of activities that she is enjoying with others. We would recommend this community for the care.

Happy residents!!

I have no complaints about the tour I had taken at this community for my loved one. The staff where on time to our appointment and made sure to answer any questions we had for them in detail. They where very professional and I like that I did not feel pressured throughout our visit. I was impressed to see the residents participating in some of the activities and enjoying there living environment. It was just not the right location for my aunt in the end decision.

An All Around Good Community

The community is doing good things here and its is going well for my loved one. Everything like the activities, cleanliness, and the staff are great. The meals are very good for my loved one.

[Removed] gave us a fantastic tour of Brighton Gardens of Omaha. My husband was really impressed! It seems to meet all of our needs. The only drawback is the cost. However, in this case, I am sure we would get what we paid for and more.

Still Adjusting, but Overall a Nice Community

So far everything is working out pretty for my husband with his move to this community. He is safe, and still adjusting with his move. This is a nice community, and they do a good job with the cleanliness. There are activities offered for the residents. Everything is moving in the right direction for us in this community.

A nice community.

My husband liked this community when he visited. The people he met were nice and the community seemed clean. This is in a nice neighborhood. This community just did not seem like the right fit for his mom.

Very nice place, could see my mom being well taken care of there.

Has A Community Fee

They had a community fee of $1500 and I found a place that did not have one. However, the tour went good and it was very helpful and the sales person did their best to show us all they offer. There was nothing bad about the place. It was all very nice and clean with nice people.

Wish I knew about Brighton Gardens three months ago, as we could have saved a lot of money and time.

I am really glad a Place for Mom helped me find this facility. What we really like about Brighton Gardens is that it has several levels of care beginning at independent living and going all the way up to hospice care. Our previous facility would not allow my loved one to return after a stint in rehabilitation because she could no longer use a walker and is now in a wheelchair. No problem with mobility at Brighton Gardens, as they offer all the services and care needed in their assisted living wing. My loved one will not have to move again (we've moved three times in the last three months based on quality of care.) Wish I had known about Brighton Gardens the first time around.

The staff was welcoming and listened to our needs when we toured the facility. The nursing/care staff and all the other staff members who make this a safe and loving community need to be commended. They go out of their way to meet the care, health and emotional needs of my loved one, and keep in communication with me as needed. I feel she is in good hands and I don't need to visit as frequently as I had at past facilities. Peace of Mind! Definitely worth it!

Since I placed my loved one here, I have heard from several of my friends that their family members lived at Brighton Gardens in the past, and what a great place it was.

Caring Staff!!

I have to say my favorite thing about this community is the amazing staff. They have been great to my loved one and treat her just like family. They are always attentive to her needs and make sure she is comfortable and safe in her new living environment. My mother has had no complaints about the food and has really enjoyed participating in many of the activities they offer to the residents throughout the week. I would defiantly recommend this place.

Dad's Care care

This community is great for my father. The staff is caring with him. The staff is great at getting him to be involved with the activities. He is dancing and staying quite active. The food is very good and he enjoys the meals. We would recommend this community to others for the great care that is given for a good value.

Dad is doing very well!!

The food is better than good and dad is eating very well. The staff are friendly and make you feel like you are welcome there. They offer daily activities that he enjoys participating in. The community is clean and I would recommend it.

Informative staff!!

Really enjoyed my tour , they where very knowledgeable and detailed with the information for my loved one. They took lots of time on showing us everything they had to offer with the facility . It was one of our top choices . Staff was great and very helpful.

I would recommend Brighton Gardens!!!

Mom is doing extremely well since moving into this community. The food is great and they offer so many activities it is hard to get ahold of her. The staff are excellent with her and the family. They take her to the doctor and her mood has improved.

It's a good place to go. I'd recommend it.

Looks Good -- But Poor Care

I'm POA for my mom and we chose this facility after moving from Bickford, which I recommend highly if your loved one has dementia.

Unconcerned About Medical Needs: First, you pay specifically to have meds dispensed. We pay $24 dollars a day or $744 a month. My mother has Parkinson's and they cannot get her meds on time. They use the excuse that the law allows an hour before and an hour after to administer drugs. My mother’s doctor sent an order saying her medicine needed to be given within 15 minutes of the ordered time and they said they couldn’t accept the doctor’s orders. After explaining to Lana (nurse) and Monica (care manager – I believe) that my mother was getting so stiff that she was having a hard time breathing because her meds were given so inconsistently, they made it clear they don’t care. Lana read from the records how med aids are consistently 30-40 minutes late or early and said she thinks they are “trying.” They said they are not a nursing home and so could not get meds on-time, since nursing homes are by law required to get meds closer to the time prescribed. Bickford did not use that excuse and they were able to get meds to my mother on-time.

No Levels of Care: As mentioned, insisting my mom get good care led to Monica and Lana saying she needed to go to a nursing home if she wanted meds on-time. Brighton Gardens assisted living claims to have levels of care, but this is in practice not the case.

Other Care Issues: Caregivers don't come promptly when you press the call button. I've seen several residents struggling to feed themselves and no one helps them. My mother said someone struggled and finally they had to hire someone outside of the facility to feed one resident. Others simply don’t eat. My mom has no problem feeding herself, but has lost a significant amount of weight at Brighton Gardens. They don’t record the weight-loss, even notice it let alone inform me of it, or even seem to care when I brought up my concern.

Can’t Reach a Care Manager: They boast they have a care manager for every level. Don’t be fooled! Every time I call it takes 15-45 minutes to reach the “care manager,” a nurse, OR their voicemail.

Can’t Reach My Mom on the Phone: My mother lives on the third floor and when her cell phone isn't charged or her home phone isn't working, I call Brighton Gardens to reach her. This is an expected norm for assisted livings to provide this service, particularly assisted livings with “levels of care,” such as Brighton Gardens. It takes up to 45 minutes to reach my mom, because no one carries a “third floor phone.” Until I realized the situation I would call four to six times, which would lead to being disconnected. Eventually someone would find a third floor phone and I could talk to my mother. Now it takes about 15 minutes to get a hold of my mom and two to three calls, because I specifically state that I'll hold as long as it takes to get a third floor phone. This does not work for my busy out-of-state siblings, who have simply quit trying to call when my mother’s phone is not working. The scary part about this is that the reminiscence or dementia group is on the third floor, which means those family members can’t reach their loved ones by phone at all.

Promised to Get Medicaid Beds in Sales Pitch: The sales person said that they didn't currently take Medicaid after a certain number of years of private pay, but that they were going to get Medicaid beds within the space of a year. That has not happened. They will not have Medicaid beds, says Wendy the director. That was found out only after my mom had a tour and decided to move there. In reality, there are four Medicaid beds on the nursing home side.

Forced to Move or Go on Hospice: If you run out of money and there is no room in the nursing home, then residents are told to get on hospice or move out. I’ve witnessed one man move because of this.

Promised Free Wi-Fi, But it Does Not Work: If you think free wi-fi is coming with your room, then think again. It works somewhat on the first floor, but it doesn’t work consistently even there. For my mom who has a printer that requires wi-fi to connect with her laptop, the wi-fi doesn’t work well enough to even print. They said they’d fix the problem and about three days after my mom moved there added some repeaters, but when that didn’t work they ignored the problem. Now we pay for private internet, which is an unexpected expense.

Quality of Food Gone Down: Originally the food was much better than at Bickford. Recently my mom has said that the food is not as lovingly made, because someone was let go. She also says there is a lack of variety as they repeat menu items consistently. This has led to a loss of appetite and weight-loss.

Activities and Residents are a Redeeming Factor: My mother has been afraid to leave Brighton Gardens, because there are a lot of residents able to communicate. This was not the case at Bickford. The activities at Brighton Gardens are fun for my mom. They’ve had painting and wine and other activities that feel like an event. Residents can ask one of several activities coordinators to get a board game going at any given time of the day and one will often sit and play with the group, which is above industry standards. On the other hand, they do tend to have a lot of the typical boring assisted living activities, such as subpar musicians hosting sing-a-longs and Bingo games. They also only have one outing a week and one special outing a month. That is not the norm for many facilities, where they take residents on two outings a month (one is usually shopping). I have been impressed with some of the special outings: Christmas light viewing from a bus, storm chasers baseball game, trip to Lauritzen Gardens, and etc. The big events happen quarterly, other special outings include taking residents out to eat. If there is ever a fee for the outings, then you pay for entrance fees, food, or any other expenses.

I have communicated my concerns and more to specifically the director, Wendy, and others who could address these issues. I’ve filled out surveys where I specified problems. I have concluded this is a money making facility with very little care for their residents past the fun stuff. They have no problem solving abilities; even ones that are simple like having someone carry the third floor phone. I’ve heard from several that Brighton Gardens in Omaha was once a much better facility. I would avoid this place. My mom is currently a resident there, but we are putting our months’ notice in based on the poor level of care.

I have also contacted Martin at the head office about some of the care issues and communication problems. Yesterday I left two voice messages on his phone again. Oddly it takes a minute or so to get connected to Martin’s voicemail when calling the Sunrise headquarters hotline by simply stating I have a complaint, while it takes significantly longer to reach the voicemail of my mother’s specific care manager at Brighton Gardens in Omaha.

Great place!

Transition was easy! Great staff. Mom is assimilating quickly and loves the staff and food.

I would recommend!

There have been some communication issues with some of the staff since my mother moved into Brighton Gardens. The staff have told family and friends coming to visit that she does not live there and they also sent back her voting ballot for the same reason. There has also been some minor issue with her medication as far as what they have in her room. My Mother is pleased with the food and extremely enjoys the activities offered and the activity staff are fantastic. Overall I would recommend this community to family and friends.

5 Star Rating

We are very pleased with this community, it is truly a nice place. The community looks great and very clean. The staff is very good, they are always willing to help. The activities are great and the food is good. They are caring for my friend very well. I would recommend it.

Review of Brighton Gardens of Omaha - Omaha, NE

This facility had a wonderful sense of community with staff genuinely enjoying their time with residents and calling each of them by name. Common spaces are beautifully furnished and well taken care of. The bedrooms are small with a high price tag.

It has not been a great initial experience.

We thought Brighton Gardens was going to be a great place. Hotel wise it is, it's beautiful, and the food is good, but the care is seriously lacking. It's just not what they said it was going to be. There is a lack of follow up and follow through. The assessment process may not be ideal either. Things have not panned out to be the way, I feel they were presented. I am starting to see improvements, but it has not been a great initial experience.

Sunrise Senior Living

Please know that we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience. Please email us at Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) com so we may follow up. Thank you, Sunrise Team

Brighton Gardens is a place for my Mom

Brighton Gardens was very informative when first speaking with them, The place is clean and the staff friendly and cheerful, my Mom is very happy and they have helped me feel relieved about the care she is getting since I live out of state.

The family all liked this p...

The family all liked this place, but my mother was here once a few years ago and had one bad experience. She now refuses to go here. I will keep it in mind if nothing else opens up.

Very impressed. No openings...

Very impressed. No openings currently. Does NOT accept Medicaid waiver.

Brighton Gardens provides assisted living in an apartment-style setting that offers the simple pleasures - nutritious food, comfortable surroundings, and the support of a warm, caring and competent staff. Our Skilled Nursing Center emphasizes resident care and dignity in private or shared accommodations. We offer a variety of nursing care and support services including 24-hour skilled nursing care, post hospital and post surgical care, restorative care, coordination of physician and pharmacy services and family counseling. A separate Special Care Center for residents with Alzheimer's or other memory related disorders is also on-site. The key to our success in the Special Care Center is our dedicated and compassionate staff, which receives special training and supervision. Our Special Care programming offers a variety of activities designed to achieve memory enrichment and positive social interactions. Caring for residents with dementia is a partnership between the community and the family, frequent family visits are encouraged and support groups and advisory councils are arranged. A Short Stay Program for seniors who need short-term care may also be available. It is the ideal alternative for recuperating after a hospital stay, while family caregivers are on vacation or if you just want to try out assisted living. Please call for more information or to schedule a visit to find out how Brighton Gardens can enrich your life or the life of a loved one.