Room For Improvement

First I just want to say that I feel comfortable with my mom being here she is happy and content and for now, that is all that matters. The community itself I really like her apartment gives her enough room and it is setup like she is in her own home rather than looking for a nursing home place. The food is of no concern it is excellent could not be better. The location of this property is perfect for me very close to where I live. Now the issue I have is the staffing from the attitudes to getting in contact with them. The management needs to do a much better job at being available and following up with families. There should be a procedure book in place for new admittance residents so whoever is there will know what to do.
The staff should be more open and willing to answer questions from the residents in regards to services they offer.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that your experience at Morningside House of Laurel has not lived up to the expectations we strive for. We pride ourselves on communicating well with our residents and families and we want very much to make this right for you. It’s important to us that we address your concerns, so we invite you to reach out to our Executive Director at our community phone number, [removed]. Thank you again for your input, and we look forward to hearing from you!

More Communication from staff

My mom is in this community for care. The staff seems to be over worked. The staff does not return our calls when needed. The staff seems to lack communication issues. I was given the impression that they had a doctor on staff. The community is clean, I would not recommend this community at this time due to them maybe not have enough staff. The menu was appealing.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that your experience at Morningside House of Laurel has not lived up to the expectations we strive for. It’s important to us that we make this right, so we invite you to reach out to our Executive Director at our community phone number. Thank you again for your input, and we look forward to hearing from you!

A Nice Place

We had a tour set up for us. They were prepared and gave us a very good tour of the community. Based on our checklist they were not a good fit for us. The many levels and location was too much and far for us. The price was not going to help my loved one live her long. It is a nice place but better for someone else.

I visited this facility before. It appears to be a nice enough.

This place is horrible

This place is horrible. It looks very pretty from the outside, the lawn is well manicured, the downstairs sitting area looks great, there's water offered & some activities however when it comes to asking questions about your loved one there's no one in charge. They currently have the marketing director acting as the interim director.

When talking to her, I Informed her that every time I visit, my loved ones room is a mess, smells like soiled clothing, food everywhere, I saw 2 baby roaches and I can never tell if they are assisting her with the bathroom or bathing b/cthere are always feces in her clothing.

Last week my loved one was locked in the hallway in tears. She told me that they had locked her out of her $5k a month room. The staff member upstairs confirmed this saying that they had been given orders of 24 hr lockdown for the 2nd floor residents. When discussing this with the ID she said that we should have recieved a letter and a call from the past director but that she wasn't doing her job properly. She said that they should have activities on the 2nd floor like the rest of the floors but they were working on that so in the meantime, she would be locked out of her room unless we brought her downstairs. She also said that we would receive a notice of rent increase soon. So, we send our loved one to an upscale living facility to be locked down in a hallway w/ roaches and a 2:30 ratio of caretaker to senior w/no directives and multiple unanswered calls to corporate?

The facility was nice. The rooms, cafeteria and seating areas were all very nice. Most of the people were very nice. However, I overhead one of the workers using some very offensive language that went on a for a few minutes. I was offended and a RED FLAG for me not to select the facility for my mom to live.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback. We were disappointed to learn about your experience with one of our team members, as our goal is always to exhibit excellence in customer service. We would appreciate the opportunity to learn more about your experience, and invite you to reach out to our Executive Director at our community phone line at your earliest convenience. Thank you again for your time!

We liked this facility, everyone was friendly and happy. Our tour guide was very nice and knowledgeable, we enjoyed the tour and got a good feeling about this place.

Very Nice Place!!

The community is very nice and well kept up. The staff was all very friendly and informative during my tour. The community seems like a wonderful place to live, it was just out of our price range at the moment.

Excellent, Caring facility

The initial tour was very informative. The facility was open and welcoming, and the Staff was very well informed. They answered our questions, accurately conveying their concern for their residents.

I know this to be true, because after living at Morningside for a month, my Mom's mood has brightened, she has received Physical Therapy, and is eating a lot better. She is happy and looks forward to the assorted daily activities.

Caring seems to permeate the staff's attitude, and they seem to be really concerned for the well being of the residents.

I am happy that Morningside is a great fit for my Mom.

I Had A Good Tour of This Community, It Was Nice

My tour of this community was nice one. It was nice and clean from what I saw. The staff was nice and friendly. My questions was answered, they were informative. The tour went very well, but it wasn't the place for my father and his needs.

Morningside Review for Sept 16

Still working through some of the small things that are part of getting used to being in a new setting.

I highly recommend it. The staff is very warm and welcoming. The transformation with Mom was nothing short of amazing, from a reclusive quite person to an outgoing person, making friends. Overall, I would highly recommend it.

Mom loves this place

Mom is just in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's. Moving in was tough. She was confused and not very happy about losing her independence. She's been there over a month now and the changes I've seen are remarkable. She's walking better than she has in years! She is still forgetful, but socializing everyday (which she never really liked to do) is helping tremendously. The staff have gone above and beyond in helping us with the transition. Mom is delighted to not have to clean, do laundry and cook anymore. She said the other day. "had I known they'd do all that for me, I would have moved on years ago!" I cannot say enough about how pleased we are with Morningside of Laurel.

Denise treats residents really well

Our cousin lives at Morningside. Denise engages with him often and knows how he is doing. She shares opinions and anecdotes about him with us faraway cousins so that we feel more connected to him and know he is okay.

Denise in Activities

Denise [removed] is the activities star at Morningside. My mother lived there for a year and LOVED all the live music and dancing. Denise kept things lively by getting people up to dance or dancing with the residents herself. She made sure that everyone who was able got involved, even if it was just by dancing in their seats.

She always had a cheerful engaging demeanor somehow making even average things seem exciting. Denise really goes the extra mile for residents and family members, even visiting my mom in her new assisted living when she needed to move. I wish she could have come with us!

Mom Tells Me She Is Good

I have my mom living at this community and so far she seems to enjoy it. I have not heard any complaints about the staff and about keeping the community very clean. My mom says she has made some friends and is participating in the activities. The food is acceptable to my mom and even though the variety is new, she does her best to try it. Overall, I would recommend this community for the good job they are doing.

Best thing I ever did for my mother!

We recently moved my mother into Morningside House of Laurel and were concerned how she would adjust. All of the staff there were so extremely helpful and kind that amazingly she started calling it her "new home" in two weeks' time. She loves the activities and the food and is no longer isolated, lonely and in an unsafe environment. Thank you especially to Amanda who was so patient with me as I struggled with the decision to rehome mom and was always available to answer all my questions. Morningside House of Laurel is the best!

Denise has a true gift for working with the elderly.

My mother lived at MSH for 2-1/2 years. The facility was beautiful and clean and the staff caring and attentive. While at MSH my mother developed a deep bond with Denise , the Director of Life Enrichment. My mother, typically quiet and withdrawn, came to life and thrived at MSH because of this bond. Mom especially enjoyed the musical entertainment and could be seen each morning walking around the lobby saying good morning to everyone. I had never seen her happier. I am so grateful that my mother was blessed with Denise’s presence. Although Mom is no longer with us, I still stop by MSH occasionally to say hello to Denise. Each time I visit, I marvel at the way the residents respond to Denise and how sincere and caring she is with each individual. Denise has a true gift for working with the elderly.

The Amazing Morningside

The facility is clean, the staff is supportive and the activities are amazing. They have live entertainment at least 2 to 3 times a week, and the residents are constantly going out for fun activities. It is a tough decision to put a loved one in care, but my mom is doing very well there and I am happy.

Comfortable atmosphere, friendly staff

I think they do a good job overall at Morningside House of Laurel. The staff here is very friendly and very caring, and I appreciate that even the people not directly involved in my loved ones care are empathetic and professional. The facility itself is clean and well kept, and I like that it has such a comfortable atmosphere, it doesn't feel clinical or like a nursing home at all.

Morningside Marketing Director goes the extra mile.

My father recently transferred to Morningside House of Laurel from another assisted living center to be closer to my family, but he's been pleasantly surprised by how much more at home he feels here. Amanda has been a great representative and ambassador for Dad's new home, and helped us greatly with registration, move-in, and acclimating Dad to his new surroundings. She even sent me a photo of Dad dancing with other residents on one of his first evenings, which put me at ease that he was enjoying himself and his new neighbors. Direct feedback from my Dad on the staff is that everyone is kind, friendly, and helpful. We are all happy with his new home.

Perfect structure

The Morningside House of Laurel staff is very precise and helpful. They ALL do their jobs with honor and integrity. I feel a lot better about the whole experience.

Great place to thrive in your late life

OMG this place is amazing the staff are very pleasant they care for their tenets in away that will allow them to thrive
Amanda is very easy to work with during a time that is most. Difficult she manages to make all involved feel safe from judgment. The place is clean friendly actually it is a beautiful place .I am grateful much parents are in there

Helpful staff

The staff here is very helpful and accommodating. They are also very patient and compassionate with the residents. The facility itself is always clean when I visit. There is a family atmosphere here and they know the residents and their families by name.

Customer Service

My father has been at Morningside House of Laurel since June 2015. It is very personable. During my visits I notice many of the staff know my father by name and know some of his habits and interests. The staff are problem solving oriented. Whether you ask a director or a staff employee you see on the elevator, they often take it upon themselves to try and resolve any concerns you have. They are responsive whether it be email or telephone. They have a concierge that is very helpful to residents and their families. Often times when I am visiting my father, they'll knock on the door to inform him it is meal time and sometimes will ask him why he isn't eating for example unaware that I may be taking him out to eat. The 1 or 2 times I've spent the night I have observed that they'll knock on the door than come in at night to administer a prescription or check on him, etc. so it seems to be thorough. They take pride in their social activities and encourage residents to participate. My father likes their music programs alot.

This facility is great. It was clean and inviting. I especially like the staff in the lobby to help you as you come in. I liked the dining room area as well. The only draw back is in the companion rooms, there is only one temperature control for the entire suite and one bathroom for both residents to use.

There are DEFINITELY bedbugs and not just a few.

The bedbug issue is a real one. There are multiple rooms that have or have had the problem which means that it is or will become a widespread issue. if it actually isn't already. [removed] I'm trying to get my loved one to move out of there. I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone. Ever. I felt it had gone downhill in cleanliness and care prior to even knowing about the bedbugs.

Amanda Owens

All levels of management consider reports of bed bugs a serious matter and follow corporate policies when such a report is made. Corporate policies and procedures have been established under recommendations of a highly reputable pest company who specializes in thermal remediation for bed bug resolution. Residents, families and staff are informed of issues and treatment plans. Management would like to thank residents, families and staff for their patience and understanding, and ask that questions and concerns be relayed directly to upper management. Thank you.

Bed bug issues

As of July 20, 2015. This place is infested with bed bugs. I found a few on articles of clothing I took home to wash for a family member. The staff including the head people in charge could care less about the well being of the residents or visitors that may accidentally these nasty bugs home as I did. This place needs to close down until the problem is fixed.

Friendly and Accommodating

I been there several times. The staff has always been friendly and accommodating. The residents always look clean and happy. They are very informative. They are informative about the activities and about the daily schedule. My overall rating of this property is 5 stars. Everything is great. My loved one is happy here. I would recommend this facility to anyone in the Laurel, MD area. It is nice. Very clean.

What a wonderful find for Dad

This facility is beautiful, there are lots of activities, food is good, good value for price, staff is very attentive and caring. We love it!

A Warm and Fun Environment

My mother is thriving at Morningside. The surroundings are lovely, meals and snacks are enjoyable, and the staff are friendly and accommodating. Activities and entertainment for residents are outstanding.

Amanda Owens

Thank you for the kind words, Nancy! We're very glad to have your mother here with us, and hope she enjoyed her birthday this week as much as we enjoy her company!

It's going pretty well.

It's going pretty well. They are being attentive to her needs, but the transition is difficult. They seem to keep everything pretty clean, and I haven't had any comments or complaints about the food. They offer activities, and some variety, but it's still a rough transition. I think Morningside is doing a good job though.

Amanda Owens

Thank you for your kind words. I know the transition is hard and we're here to help you and your family. If you need anything please feel free to give me a call or stop by my office.
Thanks,

Amazing

Amanda Owens, Director of Marketing was my contact prior to admissions of my Uncle. She made the process very easy and made us feel very welcomed. Upon arrival, he had a welcome sign at the front counter and on his room door. He also had fresh flowers in his room. The facility was clean and decorated beautifully. He was made to feel welcomed by all staff members. The friendliness and professionalism of all staff members has been amazing. We are so grateful to have found such a wonderful assistant living home for my uncle to live. Thank you Morningside staff, and especially Amanda Owens.

Amanda Owens

Thank you for your kind response. We are very happy to have your Uncle at our community. He is a very kind and loving man. :)

Exceptional

I researched many Assisted Living facilities and by far Morningside House impressed me the most. I was especially impressed with Amanda Owens. She is very knowledgeable about Morningside House and besides that she is extremely caring about everyone that resides in this facility. My cousin will be residing there as soon as he gets out of the Rehab Facility in Bowie, MD. Overall I believe I made the right decision in picking Morningside House the moment you walk into this facility the front desk person - her name is Renee - is very friendly and nice and the Administrator Brandon Queen is exceptional to work with. Thank you for this opportunity to express my views regarding Morningside House.

Amanda Owens

I'm still very saddened that your dear cousin passed before moving into Morningside House. He was a sweet man and I know he's missed everyday by his dear cousin. It was great meeting you and thank you for continuing to refer your friends and family to our community.

Most of our issues have been administrative.

It's very clean. The staff is pretty friendly. When we negotiated, we gave them the top amount that we could afford and they said they could meet that, but now we are seeing extra charges. The person who was setting up the financial information didn't disclose the extra charges to us, and then she was let go shortly after we moved in. I feel like there are extra charges that are more than I see as necessary, for instance, with a diabetic care package they don't include finger sticks and testing, that is an extra charge, on top of diabetic care charges. They are attentive and give good care, but they charge for it. They don't have a dietitian, but they try to do what they can. They don't have a lot of fresh fruit. Some of the activities are not as stimulating, for someone a little younger in age. A lot of the staff doesn't speak a lot of English, it can be difficult to communicate at times. They don't seem to have an enclosed porch, all of the residents are in front of the doors, and you walk through all the people, and I don't know how often they check on them. It would be nice if they made an area outside for people to sit so they aren't just right in front of the door. Most of our issues have been administrative. They have been very responsive to anything we have brought up.

My father has Alzheimer's. He is oft...

My father has Alzheimer's. He is often left with a messy diaper all day. Hospice leaves plenty of diapers for him, but they are used for other residents. His elbows are badly bruised from his wheelchair being carelessly shoved through doors. There's more to say but it hurts too much to keep going.

Very nice, clean, quiet env...

Very nice, clean, quiet environment. Staff seem very friendly and helpful. Close to shopping mall (currently being revamped) ***Average age of residents is 85. *** *****Bedrooms will not accommodate two beds. Will not accommodate XL beds either, queen/king size beds definately would not fit. Notable because husband is over 6 ft. tall and needs XL bed. ******. Unfortunately not a fit for us. Bed room too small.

Friendly staff, good community

I liked this community. It was clean. The staff was very friendly, the director, Cindy, calls on a regular basis. The activities and care services offered were great. I also felt that the value of what is offered and the price they quoted me was fair. My main concern is that when a tour is arranged, they are prepared for that visitor, so I don’t have a real idea of what the community is like on a day to day basis.

The activities here are great, they d...

The activities here are great, they do a good job of keeping everyone active and entertained! It a nice looking facility, and they keep it looking well kept and clean. The staff have all been friendly and professional, and the care they provide is pretty good as well.

Nice facility. Residents s...

Nice facility. Residents seemed happy. Clean, planned activities. Provides transition for dementia patients. Viewed 3 types of rooms. Do not recommend shared room for Mom. Transitioning into this facility I would recommend the one bedroom. Planned weekly activities for residents and they do check on residents throughout the day and night.

Morningside House of Laurel review

Nice setting. Friendly and competent staff. Some staff members difficult to understand due to heavy accent.

OK community, not overly im...

OK community, not overly impressed. The memory care floor is not secured during the day and I did not see many staff in the reception area to prevent elopements. I would be concerned about Mom trying to escape and going unnoticed.

They have doctors and nurses in house...

They have doctors and nurses in house and offer PT & OT. Allison described it as a cozy home... entertainment...sunroom. Life Enrichment Director. They have a VA group with WW II Vets -- that meet frequently.

Very nice people. Nice place. Lightin...

Very nice people. Nice place. Lighting a little low. Very clean

Toured 4/29 and had courtesy lunch wi...

Toured 4/29 and had courtesy lunch with parents. Parents didn't feel that the facility fit them. I had thought it would be out number one choice. Price also may be out of their range. Will look at lower priced options, but keep this one in mind.

Morningside House of Laurel is located in charming Laurel, MD, which is a small city that has all the amenities of a big city. Residents can utilize transportation services to explore several activities for all levels or branch out alone with family. Enjoy downtown dinner theatre, excitement at the local horse race track, or visit one of many historic locations.

- The population of Laurel is only around 26,000 people. Families can feel free to walk about town without huge crowds.

- The walkability score for is 52. Downtown is the easiest place to walk around, however, activities beyond will require transportation.

- It's an up and coming family town with an average age of 33.

- For a smaller city, it has several senior facilities and activity centers.

- Families and residents can expect a typical East Coast weather spanning through four seasons a year. Winters are fairly mild during the day in the 40's and summers nice and warm in the 80's.

Transportation facilities are available at Morningside for residents who wish to use them. There are also city services available for trips beyond or for family use. These are just some of the services available:

- Metro Bus- Several buses that pass through Laurel, discounts available for seniors.
- RTA- Discount card for seniors to use.
- Call A Cab- Reduced cost for seniors

Health and safety is always an important concern when getting to know a new city. Laurel is home to many medical offices and facilities for necessary care. Laurel Regional Hospital is centrally located and easily accessed. The city only scores a 12 on crime index websites, but with the small amount of population, this is no surprise. There are so many things to do outside of the chaos of the city that it shouldn't matter much. Laurel is home to several places for outdoor or indoor activities to get seniors moving. There is Gunpowder Golf Course for those looking for a relaxing game. The course promises to be a challenge for all skill levels with its rolling terrain and tricky landscape. The grounds are beautiful and it is a full 18 hole course. Some other options are:

- Fairland Sports and Aquatics Complex. A full menu of activities is available, including tennis, swimming, and fitness.
- Greenview Drive Cabana- Public Pool, concession stand, and meeting center.
- Laurel Armory Anderson & Murphy Community Center- fitness room, game room, several classes and programs for seniors.
- Robert J. DiPietro Community Center- Fitness room, game room, meeting rooms, several senior recreation programs.
- Laurel Park Horse Track- Horse racing simulcast, restaurants, other entertainment.

Folks can visit interesting places to learn the history of the area. There is a dinosaur museum for the kid at heart to discover the history and see fossils discovered right in Maryland. Laurel is also home to a huge National Wildlife Visitor Center. It has expansive walking trails and visitors can learn and see several species. Other places of interest may be:

- Montpelier Mansion- Georgian style plantation house from the 1700's available for tour.
- Abraham Hall- part of the mansion, black history museum.
- Laurel Historic Society

There are many choices in and around the city for shopping of all kinds. From basic needs to unique finds, there is a shop to meet your needs.

- Towne Center- Shopping center with stores everyone loves, tons of restaurants, and entertainment including a movie theatre.
- Laurel Shopping Center- 44 of the best stores and restaurants.
- Montpelier Center- a smaller shopping center with plenty of stores and places to eat.

There are several places to go to get groceries and household needs. Some of the local stores are Food Lion, Super Best, and Walmart. If residents want a quick bite to eat, there are several fast food options in the area. Some include Five Guys, Popeyes, McDonald's, and Dunkin Donuts. If a sit-down family dinner is the goal there are these restaurants close by Olive Garden, Mangos Grill, and Bottom of the Bay. A movie can be taken in at Regal Cinema at Towne Center after some shopping. The more adventurous can head over to Toby's Dinner Theatre for dinner and a show. Guests enjoy a full menu and bar dinner while enjoying live entertainment. They offer shows like Mama Mia, DreamGirls, and other hits.

A very important factor of a new community for some is to be able to practice their Faith. There are several religious facilities in and around the Morningside Community. First Baptist Church of Laurel and Laurel Church of Christ are two that are in very close proximity to the property. A quaint place to call home Laurel has everything residents need to be healthy and happy.