Blackburn Lodge Seniors Residence - Ottawa, ON

Room Type Monthly Range* (CAD)

A Note of Appriciation

My parents moved into Blackburn Lodge 8 years ago (Dad passed in 2010) Mom considers the Lodge her home. She knows the staff and they know her and she receives splendid care. As Mom's needs have increased the staff at the Lodge have been there to support her. From house keeping, laundry, her meals and medical needs all are handled great care.

My siblings and I know and trust that the staff provide Mom with kind and compassionate care. They are also available to us to discuss and consult with as changes in care are needed.

My sincere compliments and thanks to the devoted staff at Blackburn Lodge! You give our family something priceless; peace of mind.

David & Porter

Thank you so much Lisa for such kind remarks. We feel like your mother is a part of our family.

Starting Out 2016 – With a Whole Hearted Thank you to the team at Blackburn Lodge.

After my mom fell in late 2011, she was not able to return to her home. I had the daunting task of looking for a home for her at a Retirement Residence. I selected three Retirement Residences, based on my mom’s budget, the environment at the residences, the quality of answers to my questions and the location. My mom looked at all three and chose Blackburn Lodge. It’s coming up on 4 years now and my mom tells me on our daily calls that she is so very happy at Blackburn Lodge. I live over 3000 miles away and I feel confident and comforted that my mom lives in a very caring environment. The team are skilled, thoughtful and caring and I continue to see examples of their going well beyond to support my mom.

If I raise something that needs attention, the team is opened to dialogue . I find them responsive and the necessary actions are scheduled as soon as possible.

My mom also finds the activities are inclusive and welcoming and she is encouraged to participate. She regularly takes her walker out to the park across the street in the summer months to that she can enjoy the outdoors.

When I visit, I often join my mom in the dining room for some tasty well-balanced meals, with the other residents, and I find the atmosphere very friendly. My mom’s friends in the Ottawa area enjoy visiting her at Blackburn Lodge, either in her room or for a meal in the dining room.

My mom tells me that she wants to spend the rest of her years at Blackburn Lodge, due to the caring and attentive environment created by the team there. This says a lot.

I'm so glad that my mom continues to enjoy her life at Blackburn Lodge. It really provides me with a great deal of comfort to know she is so well taken care of and that she is content.

So, many thanks to the team at Blackburn Lodge for your thoughtfulness and continuous caring for my mom.

David & Porter

Thank yo for those kind words. I will pass on the compliments to the people who deserve them -- the staff.

DON'T GO HERE

While I only stayed there one year, but I found that the food was the biggest waste of my money. Many times I had to pass on certain things on my plate because they were badly prepared or cold when they arrived at my table. They seem incapable of preparing frozen vegetables properly, and meat dishes were most times, completely lacking in any taste what-so-ever. It resulted in my having to make weekly trips, even in the middle of winter, in my wheelchair, to replace the food I had to leave on my plate. Lastly, do not be fooled by the low price for the room, anything and everything extra costs the resident money. A testament to the Directors overwhelming desire to balance the books with "user pay" fees.

David & Porter

Brian made positive comments about our housekeeping and nursing departments in a review he posted on another website. We thank him for that; however, some of his comments here are misleading. Brian came to us in poor health, recuperated so well and was able to return to a regular apartment (not another retirement community) after 14 months. We wish him well. Brian did have issues with the meals as do 2 other residents at the moment. 92% of residents are generally satisfied with meals, many very satisfied. Brian's biggest problem with preparation was the fact that, like most retirement homes, we cook with low sodium products and add no salt when cooking for the benefit of the many residents with heart problems. Salt is available on every table. His comment about "extra costs" is surprising given that, in 14 months, he only ever had 2 extra costs on his monthly statement. One was a $25 mobile blood clinic charge which we paid on his behalf and charged back to him. The other was the annual $125 charge for optional air conditioning which is explained to all residents at admission. All items which generate extra charges are clearly listed on our web site and in our contracts as required by Provincial law.
David Porter, Manager

Blackburn Lodge is full service retirement home that specializes in serving middle and lower income seniors.
Our prices for relatively independent seniors range between $1629 and $2129. These prices include rent, all utilities, 70-channel cable service, parking if required, 3 meals and snacks, daily bed making and room check, weekly housekeeping, personal laundry, activities, emergency response, temporary illness care, consultation with visiting physician and/or our Director of Care who also holds an MD from the University of Moscow, and medication ordering.
Full medication service and bathing assistance each add $80 per month. However, bathing assistance can usually be obtained free of charge from The Community Care Access Centre. Personal Assistance for a variety of reasons adds $180 per month. All three services can be added for the package price of $280.
We sometimes give discounts to lower income people or waive fees for higher level care on proof of income.
We know our prices are among the lowest in the city. The reason is simple. Our building is 29 years old and is not full of the hardwood, brass and marble found in new buildings. But it is clean, well, maintained, in full compliance with all Provincial standards and our care staff are excellent.