Bickford of Carmel - Carmel, IN

Beautiful but just not a good fit

From what we saw on our tour of the Bickford of Carmel, the community looked nice and clean, beautiful apartments but rather small, the staff was nice, and our questions were answered. It was a nice experience, but it wasn't the right fit for and we felt that the move-in fee was more than we wanted to pay.

Mother loves it!

The move to the Bickford has been a positive experience for my mother. She is making a lot of new friends and joining in all of the activities that they have available. She loves that she can go out of her room and talk to people. She loves how clean the place is and how friendly everyone is. The housekeeping does a very good job, she enjoys that they go into her room and make her bed. The meals are decent, the portions are good and she likes walking into the dining room for her meals. I really like that it is a lock down memory unit so I have the peace of mind that she will never walk out and not be able to find her way back.

Bickford of Carmel was a wise choice!

The Bickford of Carmel was the best fit for mom! The staff have been patient and wonderful with caring with her needs. They are proactive and call me with any concerns that come up with her care. They offer a variety of activities that mom has been participating in. She is enjoying partaking in the activities. She has been eating well and likes the variety of good meals offered. The community is a very safe and secure community. It is very well kept and always smells nice.

I liked it but it was just a little too small for our needs

I looked here when I was looking into options. I liked it but it was just a little too small for our needs, with only about 35 apartments.

Not a good experience

Our experience with Bickford of Carmel was not a good one, overall. The facility itself seemed like a nice enough place, it was well kept and clean, and from what I saw it seemed like they did a good job with the food. However, I was not impressed with what I saw of the care and management staff. I think they could have been much more thorough when evaluating the needs of my loved one. They told us it would be a good fit for him, and then within a few days of him moving in they told us we'd need to hire 24 hour outside help for him. Based on our experience I'd advise families to really be sure their loved one is a good fit when looking into placement here.

Very nice place!

Overall our experience with Bickford of Carmel has been a good one. I really like the care strategy that they use at Bickford. All of the staff, even the managers and other administrative staff, help out with the cleaning, serve in the dining room, etc. For the most part it works very well and all of the residents get a lot of attention and care! There are a few instances where a more tightly organized system would benefit them, but overall my loved one is doing very well here!

Very nice place

Overall our experience with Bickford of Carmel has been a very good one, I'd give them high marks across the board! The staff here is friendly, professional, and every one of them has some training in dealing with memory/Alzheimer's care. The facility itself is clean and well kept, and they've got all sorts of activities for the residents. It's a very nice place.

Wonderful

Things are going wonderful and fabulous. We couldn't be happier with them. We have absolutely no complaints with the staff, facility or level of care at Bickford. Wonderful place and we couldn't ask for more.

becoming family for my parent

I walked in and was greeted right away. I really liked that it was like someone coming to my front door. The building is so cozy, you walk right into the living room were I saw many people sitting on the couch and just talking. I wasn't for sure about this concept when I first visited, but I like knowing that mom is not just living in an apartment but using the whole building as her home. I really liked that there were not all these separate activity rooms. My mom will not get lost on where things are happening. Julia does a great job reminding everyone of activities but mom loves getting her exercise, so she is always walking her laps. This building especially lucky to have jackie. Mom my says this is one of her daughters even though she is not, she makes this a home for my mom when I could not continue to care for her at home.

Great, Cozy Home

Bickford of Carmel is exceptional. The staff is very well trained on dementia and it is reassuring knowing that if my loved one declines, they will not need to leave the facility. Bickford will work with us on the additional care. We enjoy that the building is one level and smaller than more in the area. It is obvious residents receive care and attention a lot quicker this way. They are also pet friendly which my loved one LOVES! I have recommended Bickford and will continue to do so.

Glad I found this pleasant place for my dad

I moved my dad to Bickford a month ago. So far I have been very pleased. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I live out of state and had to find an assisted living place in a couple days time after my dad ended up in the hospital. I really like the fact that it is one level and laid out in a square. The other places I looked at, the apartments were on upper floors with elevators. My dad has dementia and I didn't think he could find his way around those places as well. Plus I like the security coded doors. I know dad can not wander out. The rooms are smaller and more expensive than the other places I looked at. The overall environment is very pleasant. The residents seem happy there.

We had our loved one there for 2 weeks in Memory care. The experience was very negative and the reasons are:
They treated our loved one (let’s call our loved one Ginger for this comments) as a person needing only assisted living, which was not the case by suffering Dementia at an Intermediate stage and being stated in the doctor’s notes.
These are some examples:
1. It was asked for - and they did not provide - every 2 hr bathroom use reminders (as suggested for dementia patients) and showing Ginger where the restroom was. Ginger was expected to find the restroom independently, which did not happen by being in a new environment and being naturally confused, and Ginger ended up urinating wherever considered restroom. [That had never happened before (or after). That only proved that they were not providing the Memory care necessary for patients with memory loss, confusion, etc. When Ginger is reminded and guided Ginger goes in the right place at the right time]. They used this “misconduct” against us to justify the need for him to leave their place.
2. They did not provide any notice of Ginger needing to leave, in fact, when during those 2 weeks stay another sudden health situation occurred to his caregiver, we asked for Ginger to stay a couple of extra days and that’s when they said that they would not allow that, that HE HAD TO LEAVE at the agreed date.
3. A medication run out during the week, the nurse never called the pharmacy to refill the prescription or contacted the family to suggest refilling the prescription before the medication would finish.
4. The nurse did not deliver the hearing aids promptly in the morning at wake up time, in one occasion it was 11:30 a.m., Ginger was dressed, had breakfast and no hearing aids yet had been delivered.
5. They did not keep up with Ginger’s daily personal hygiene and care: brushing teeth, brushing hair, etc.
6. Not good room cleaning maintenance.
7. it was agreed on paper on the 1st day of our arrival to have Ginger showered 2 times per week. They only did it once a week and after being reminded.
8. Meals: nobody would assist Ginger in eating or invite Ginger to eat.
9. No laundry, linens, towels, bathroom essentials, baskets, trash bags, Kleenex, bed stand, chairs, hangers, soap, cleaning products provided during the 2 weeks stay.
10. The Bickford of Carmel certainly did not get out of its way (or do the bare minimum for the price charged) to catch our attention as potential “customers” for the future.
11. Bickford of Carmel strongly invites you to visit as frequently as possible and to “feel” like it is a new home for the loved one and for family members, so we did visit almost daily. Then they used that against us saying: because you were there so frequently, we did not perform all the care we generally do because you were there. Which is only partially OK as a reasoning, we should have still arrived at 9:30 or 10:00 a.m. and if Ginger was awake by then, Ginger should have had the teeth brushed, the hair combed, the disposable underwear pulled off, the hearing aid provided, etc. What about the times that we were not there? They did not take charge and care of Ginger (as appropriate for a dementia resident), hence the urinating accidents.
This was our experience, hence the skepticism on any place that offers both Assisted living AND memory care. We were suggested to stick to MEMORY CARE ONLY facilities if your loved one has dementia or Alzheimer; they have the proper care for such patients.
TIPS:
- READ AS MANY REVIEWS AS POSSIBLE BEFORE MAKING A DECISION
- HAVE YOUR LOVED ONE EXPERIENCE ANY POTENTIAL FACILITY FOR 2 WEEKS (IF POSSIBLE FOR YOU) AND ONLY THEN YOU WIL HAVE A REALISTIC IDEA OF THE QUALITY OF CARE THEY PROVIDE
- VISIT FREQUENTLY AND UNANNOUNCED, THAT’S THE BEST WAY TO WITNESS THE QUALITY OF THE FACILITY, STAFF, ETC.

Highly Reccomended

Bickford is such a happy and loving community! Each staff member I have met treats residents like their own family members. Angie, Jo and the clinical staff go above and beyond to give the best care and attention to each resident and to offer the best services available to their residents that need additional care.
Julia in activities keeps each resident's mind and body active with several fun and educational activities daily.
Rebecca is constantly coming up with more creative ways to make Bickford the best assisted living and memory care facility in Carmel and I believe they are!
I highly reccomend Bickford of Carmel Assisted Living and Memory Care facility!

I really liked it!

Really liked but was pricey, a lot more than what Mom pays now. I did not get a chance to see any of the activities though.

I can't wait for this location to open.

I can't wait for this location to open. If they were open right now we would be there. They are well put together. They really have a good idea of what to do with Alzheimers and dementia patients. The other Bickford communities are amazing. Just a fantastic place! I can't wait.

Talked with Rebecca. Build...

Talked with Rebecca. Building will not be ready until July or August due to weather. Small community with about 45 residence. Do not use pendant system but said she could get one. No price on pendant. Asked about laundry service for personal items. She said that could be included as an option in the care service level. Not sure how that would work. Rooms are way smaller and more expensive than Magnolia Springs or Sunrise. Would only save me about $500. Rebecca is very nice and easy to talk to. Only has 6 years in the industry. She will be running the facility.

I am impressed with the emph...

I am impressed with the emphasis on the individual's happiness. Ultimately, it may be the most PERSONAL of all. I like what they do in Memory Care. Assisted Living looks good. And I like their having daycare, as well.

We began our quest into senior living because of our love for our beloved mother, Mary Bickford, whose needs became too great for us to manage. As we researched senior living options, we were shocked at our findings. The options offered too much or too little – none met her needs and nothing felt like home. Since we couldn’t find what we wanted, we decided to create what we needed. Our main desire was to create a place that helped her achieve an equivalent peace and happiness that she had earlier in her life.

We understand that selecting a senior living community for your loved one is one of the toughest decisions that you will ever face. We will work with you to ensure that the transition is as easy and comfortable as possible. Whether your loved one is at home, in the hospital or even in another state, we can work with your hospital, insurance company, and doctor to make your difficult decision easier on you and your family. Aging can be difficult – but we’ve also seen the beauty in aging. Our mother’s happiness inspired us. We created Bickford for her and now we’re devoted to serving yours. We look forward to meeting you soon.

Personalized Care