Avalon Memory Care - Saint Louis, MO

Avalon Memory Care - Saint Louis, MO has yet not published prices.

Avalon Memory Care is excellent

We found Avalon Memory Care after an extensive search and unfortunately after much angst and frustration with low quality care at other facilities for our mother.

Avalon's model is excellent in providing attentive care for those suffering from Alzheimer's and dementia. Ratio is 1:3-5. The small community allows the staff to get to know their residents and care for their individual/specific needs. The facility's home-like environment makes the residents feel secure and as they are part of a family.

The food is prepared and served family style, not institutionalized. My mother re-gained an appetite and quickly responded positively to the staff and enjoyed the activities. We had peace of mind that she was well cared for and did not worry about her being left alone. Interestingly, she immediately stopped the 'wandering' behavior that previous facility said was such a problem.

Unfortunately, mother died within a few short weeks after moving into Avalon. Our greatest regret was that we did not find it sooner for her to flourish and enjoy what time she had left.

[Name removed] and her staff are skilled, joyous and loving. We felt cared for along with our mother. I highly recommend Avalon. Take a tour and find out for yourself.

They rejected my stepdad on move in day

My experience with the facility wasn’t that great. The whole place is just beautiful and gorgeous. I was tickled to [Removed] that my stepfather was going to stay here. It’s a very small house with a tightknit community. Everything was just so excellent. The kitchen was all open so everyone can see the chefs cooking. They had a small courtyard to go out and walk on. There were tables, chairs, big screen TVs, and couched in the main room to socialize. It’s a brand new building with pretty art and décor. But I was devastated when it came time to move him in. Two days before moving in, a nurse came to the hospital and assessed him and gave us the go ahead. When we arrived, she came in again to assess him and check his blood pressure. She immediately said that we need to take him back to the hospital and that he couldn’t stay at this facility. When we got to the hospital, the emergency room doctors said his blood pressure was of no concern. We called the nurse and she beat around the bush and said she decided that the facility wouldn’t be able to care for him. I guess he was more incapacitated than they thought. A few days later they tried to get my mom to sign papers for who knows what. He was only there for a few minutes! I was just shocked about this whole thing. They should really be more careful in assessing their residents beforehand. The facility says they are a dementia and Alzheimer’s care facility but I guess it’s to a certain point. It’s more of an independent assisted living facility in my eyes. Based off of my experience, I would not recommend this facility.