Avalon Memory Care - Flower Mound - Flower Mound, TX

[Name removed] was very helpful & informative. He shared a lot of information about Avalon, making us comfortable with the company/staff. Will definitely consider Avalon. Just need to determine if the residential approach is a good fit.

Was disappointed. Facility didn't seem very clean to me. Overheard aide speaking to a hospice patient with a curt tone and not caring. Residents were all sitting together like kindergarteners in the front room being made to watch some silly TV show. Just not a place I would consider placing my loved one. This review was specifically for the location in Flower Mound.

My husband just moved from Autumn Leaves to Avalon. He is a difficult personality to figure out, but I think the smaller homey atmosphere will straighten him out. Dementia is a terrible thing and those wonderful people who care for my husband deserve WAY more thanks than I can say here. Just know that these girls are angels on earth. Bless them all.

Jon Seib

I appreciate you calling our staff angels as that is truly what they are. The patience that our staff ,as well as the staff at our other 31 locations across the State of Texas into Missouri, exudes is a blessing. The non-confrontational approach that has been the basis of our training for over two decades allows for a resident not to get agitated for no particular reason. If he/she believes something in their world of dementia then we just run with it. There is no need to tell them something otherwise that could cause conflict. This approach as well as our smaller home environment is pivotal to resident happiness.

Getting Accurate Feedback

During our interaction there were no problems and they were upfront when I asked them questions. It was helpful to speak with the staff to get accurate information to ensure I was picking the right place for my loved one. When we spoke about what they can do and what they can't do, they were not able to accept my loved one because they use a feeding tube.

Jon Seib

We prefer to be upfront whether it be telephonic-ally previous to a tour than to have one come out if we cannot meet their needs. This even has to do with rate as well. A lot of companies will not give out their rates until someone comes out. This does not make sense to us. We would prefer to lay everything out on the table as we expect a family member of a potential resident to lay everything out on the table so that informed decision s can be made. For 22 years this has been our philosophy when my father started Avalon.Thank you for your review.

Avalon doesn't do respite care or daycare.

Jon Seib

Well......you are half correct. We stopped doing daycare years ago as we believe that the resident suffered from this constant going in and out of our locations and not making a transition. Whereas a resident might be upset at first in moving into a new situation, almost 100% of our residents make that transition that reside with us through hospice. The daycare resident is different. Agitation would often times be continuous and take away from the care of the residents that reside at our locations across the state into Missouri on a full time basis. We will do respite care but for no less than 30 days based upon the same type thinking of the daycare resident that I outlined above. It is unfortunate to receive a two star rating based upon the way we choose as a family company to provide the best and safest environment for our residents, but I also can understand why- we did not provide what you were looking for. Please feel free to come back by when the need for full time care presents itself. Sorry we could not be of assistance at this time.

5 Stars All The Way!!

I love how the staff go above and beyond to make sure that my loved one is receiving great care. My loved one is happy he loves this place. The care giving staffs attitude is always positive they make this a family atmosphere. Meals served are wonderful they are nutritious, taste good and have just the exact portions to them.

Jon Seib

These smaller home environments allow our residents the best chance at having the best quality of life. We have a great crew at this location that certainly adds to the family atmosphere that is common at our locations across Texas and into Missouri. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. If there is anything that you need in the future do not hesitate to reach out. Take Care.

Extraordinary

Mom has been at this extraordinary home on Raintree for over 3 years and has been well cared for from the first day. She recently suffered a fall and the care she received from the staff here has been way beyond what I would have expected - they sat with me at the hospital, worked with hospital staff to make sure her medications were being handled properly and were a large comfort to me personally. She is back at her home on Raintree and I cannot tell you how relieved our family was to have her back there where she is surrounded by such a wonderful, caring staff. The staff at Raintree is like family to me and I cannot express enough how grateful I am for these wonderful people and all they have done for my Mom.

Jon Seib

Beautiful review. It makes me so happy to read that Avalon and its staff can have such a positive impact on family over multiple years even in the midst of a hospital visit that can be very tough on one afflicted with a dementia. I have shared this review with Irene and the rest of the crew. Take Care.

This is the way all assisted living should be!

I have had the pleasure of caring for my elderly relatives for the past 15 years. All had various ailments and required the migration from personal care by my wife to various stages of assisted living and memory care. So when my 91 year old mother-in-law suffered a stroke and needed full time care, we knew what to look for.

Avalon in Flower Mound is, by far, the best facility we have had the pleasure to work with. A friendly staff, home cooked meals, peaceful setting, and retention of personal dignity for their residents are some of the major benefits. The facility director establishes a personal relationship with each resident and their family and ensures that both the physical and mental needs of each are met.

This is a great facility with a great staff. Would recommend it highly.

Leo,
Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive review. I probably sound like a broken record but we are so elated to have Irene that has been with us 15 years or so and the rest of the staff that make that beautiful home environment what it is. Take Care.

the residents need water more often

At Avolon Memory Care I do think that the residents need water more often. It needs to be offered more throughout the day rather than just at meals. Also some of the staff yell at the patients. They seem to want the residents to sit down all the time. They even make fun of them if someone drops something. I would like the staff go around and ask if they need something rather than wait for the residents to get up and then yell at them for doing so. Other than that I am very happy overall.

Jon Seib

Well....although a great star rating I can't say that based upon the above paragraph that this is a legitimate review. Irene and the rest of the crew do an amazing job and are so caring and compassionate with our residents. Irene has been with us 18 years and have many other multi-year team members that do so well with our residents as seen by the many reviews of families that have had residents that have stayed with us.

They have been wonderful.

They have been wonderful. I am very pleased with them. I would give them a four out of five. They are very good. I don't have any major complaints at this time.

Jon Seib

Appreciate the review and am glad that you are pleased with the care at our Flower Mound location. Please feel free to call me or e-mail me to see how we could be 5 star instead of 4 in your eyes. We would certainly love the opportunity to further refine our care for your loved one but understand that sometimes perfection is very difficult when dealing with an imperfect situation. Irene and the crew are there for you as you go through this process. Take Care.

Kudos to You Avalon Raintree Group Home

I moved my Mom to Avalon Raintree after having a very bad experience with a group home in Hot Springs, AR. I have been amazed at how much better my Mom can talk and how much happier she is at Raintree. She has always been a social butterfly and loves the people who take care of her and who live there. Irene is amazing at being the house manager and she loves all the residents there and sees that they are well taken care of. Lisa, Angie, Kristin, and Kayla are just three of the ones I know who take such good care of my Mom. I am sure there are more on different shifts. They work hard to see that all the rooms are clean, clothes are washed, meals are cooked and served and most of all that my Mom does not lie in bed and wilt away. She is up, bathed, dressed and ready for the day before 9am--sometimes before 8am--and my Mom loves that. She is totally dependent on them since she is wheel chair bound. What a blessing this is to Mom and to me. I can rest easy knowing they are so efficient at what they do. They really care about their residents.

Jon Seib

What an amazing review. Thank you for taking the time to write about specifics as relates to the care of your Mom. We are so grateful to have the long term employees that we have at this gorgeous location that truly make a difference every day in the lives of the residents as wells as the family members we serve.

A life saver

Avalon was the only place that would help my mom - I probably contacted over ten places to find one that was willing and able to care for her (we were against the clock with a hospital discharge looming).

I'd rather not go into personal details for obvious reasons but my mother was being difficult - not taking medication she needed, fighting with caregivers (arguing, not physically fighting) and causing issues with other patients.

I honestly was scared and worried about what was going to happen if I couldn't find a place to care for her because if the hospital couldn't handle her what hope could I have?

The minute we drove up to Avalon they had her in hand and under control. If it weren't for Avalon and its able and friendly director I don't know what we would have done.
The cost is a bit much but was comparable to other places of this type
The caregivers on duty have always been friendly and had a smile. The place is very homey (the one we're at is a converted home so *duh* on that) and nice little touches allow residents to personalize their areas.

They got my mom to take her medication when even the hospital couldn't and when I come to visit the director has always taken the time to come by and update me on what's going on.

I'm very happy with Avalon and I'd recommend it to anyone who requires services of this sort. The restrooms kitchen and rooms are kept clean (by my standards at least).

Jon Seib

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. It means a lot to us. We are so thankful to have the opportunity to care for your mother. The right environment + long term staff members(our manager Irene has been with us over 10 years) that understand the non-confrontational approach is what allows mom to do so well with us. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do in the future. Take Care.

Very Homey

It is more like a home and not like a home and not like a facility. Just the environment is more like what you’ll find in a home as opposed ot a hospital. There are tvs and couches. It just looks like a residence. The food looks good.

Jon Seib

Appreciate the review. If we can be of any assistance in the future just let us know.

It didn't have a very crisp, clean, neat appearance.

I was told this was the best place, frankly I wouldn't put a dog here. Even if it isn't dirty, it looks as though it is. It's very run down, the furniture was old and worn out. Even the lady who is the main caregiver didn't appear clean. It didn't have a very crisp, clean, neat appearance.

Jon Seib

I question the validity of this review. With that being said I will respond appropriately. Avalon in Flower Mound is a gorgeous 5000 square foot home. The kitchen is currently going through a remodel and certainly there can be signs of wear and tear at times due to the nature of the individuals that we care for but to leave a statement such as " I wouldn't put a dog here" is just preposterous. I want the reader of this review to be aware that our manager Irene that has been with us for over a decade does not sit in an office. She, as well as the other staff members, are giving the care whether it be bathing, changing, dressing etc. As one can imagine when giving this type of care a caregiver's appearance can look a little disheveled. at times. I urge the reader to come out for a tour. Once Irene answers the door with her smile and you walk through the home you will be at ease. Take care everyone.

No Privacy

No - the quality of care might have been good, but she wouldn't have any privacy at all. She was at the stage where her vanity and privacy were key to her maintaining some of her independence. They told me that she would have to take the lift seat on and off when she used the restroom, and I knew that wasn't going to happen. A lot of the patients were on hospice and it was too small. She wouldn't have felt like she had her little place in the world.

Jon Seib

Thank you for the review. Unfortunately, with a location that is at or near its census as designated by the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services sometimes the most ideal room is not available. This particular location is around 4500 square feet and is amongst some of the nicest homes in Flower Mound. At no time would any of our residents be responsible for taking lift seats on and off when using the restroom. I'm sorry if there was some confusion on this subject. We hope that you were able to find a place that would benefit your loved one. Take care.

Avalon

Very helpful. My father has been there for one month and they are doing a wonderful job.

Jon Seib

Sharon- Thank you for your review. If there is anything else that we can do to make this a pleasurable experience for everyone involved just let Irene know. Take care.

Most Experienced in Dementia/Alzheimer

We chose Avalon because they have been around a very long time and really seem to be the experts in our area when it comes to Dementia and Alzheimer. Their knowledge and experience on how to deal with these types of residents really sets them apart. They do have a small living room area that has a TV where the residents sit and watch. They could be a little more engaging with the activities but they are limited to a certain extent.

Evelyn,
Thank you for the review. It is true that we are limited sometimes by the capacity of our residents as relates to activities. With that being said, we try our best to tailor our activities to the individuals that we serve. Whether it is something as simple as having their favorite music playing in their room to activities based around eating/ drinking, each resident has his/her own specific need. Thank you for allowing us to care for your loved one.

Shiloh, Rt onto Raintree. ...

Shiloh, Rt onto Raintree. Alzheimer's Care? Full aging place. Could stay there and not move. Highly reputable. Multiple locations. Residential care home. People other than me need appt. High level assisted care.

Jon Seib

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are very proud to provide the highest quality of life to those afflicted with Alzheimer's/ dementia around the Metroplex. These smaller settings are ideal for our folk rather than large institutional environments.

Small care home (capacity a...

Small care home (capacity about 11) was try interesting concept. Staff had incredible tenure (mostly 10+ years) and appeared very kind. Lots of individual interaction and the food look fabulous - all home-cooked. There is an outdoor pool that they will individually allow residents to use in summer. Lovely setting - a little far, especially for people from church to visit but doable. Very individualized care and fairly wide needs among those living there. Appeared that activities and support was very individualized. Negative was the house did not appear to be very clean (cobwebs, etc) although the bathrooms seemed clean. Rooms were completely personalized and in general it felt very homey if not our of House Beautiful. The living area was bland and the kitchen seemed to have some maintenance issues. They are willing to keep people there to the end of life as long as round the clock nursing is not required. Would allow additional staff but discourage. They prefer to staff up to meet everyone's needs to keep it in-house rather than have the individual become attached to someone not part of the staff. (Made sense) Video monitors in some rooms. Office was upstairs and looked out into living area but was not obtrusive. Would definitely consider.

Jon Seib

Thank you for the wonderful review. We appreciate your feedback. Just to let you and the reader know our kitchen is currently being completely redone. I agree that the kitchen had been through an immense amount of wear and tear over the years. We wish you and your family the very best.

Avalon Alzheimer’s Care Homes, Inc. is one of the fastest growing Alzheimer’s Care Providers in Texas. Innovative care in a residential environment provides a wonderful alternative to institutional care. Professionally trained staff create a totally non -confrontational modem of care. Residents enjoy the ultimate in intimate care and receive every luxury and amenity available in the finest homes. Social, humanistic care is designed to reinstate the resident's lost sense of security.