Asbury Court Retirement Community - Des Plaines, IL

Awesome Place!!

I have to highly recommend this facility Asbury Court in Des Plaines IL. My father and I were looking for place for him, with his early dementia and handicapped legs. Upon review and tour of the facility we found it to be amazing! The staff was extremely courteous and very helpful. A special thanks to [name removed] who made the transition smooth and was very helpful every step of the way. Thank you very much, it is without reservation that I recommend this facility to anyone who is looking for elderly care.

[Name removed]

Jim White

Dr. Leyba, Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Asbury Court! We loved having your dad here and should you need anything at all we are here for you.

Clever design of rooms from small studio and large studio to combining them into a one bedroom. Attractive common areas currently undergoing improvement. We especially liked the hallway redesign to facilitate movement. Lots of activities for participation. Affordable as private pay with the ability to stay as a Medicaid resident if funds run dry. [name removed] was very helpful in guiding us through the tour and highlighting the very positive aspects of Asbury.

Didn’t work for my moms needs

Love One Is Fine Since The Move Into Community

My sister is doing well since her move into this community. It is a nice facility, and I'm comfortable with her move here. The staff is kind, and are taking good care of her. They do a good job with the cleanness around the community. She is pleased with the meals, the food is good. They we're experiencing some staff turnover during the time leading up to her move in and some items were not transitioned or followed up on. Eventually everything was addressed. Unfortunately they eliminated the overnight nurse after she moved in, which affected her since she needs medication every few hours. Also, since she moved in there was an extended power outage and it appears there was no backup plan in place. Otherwise everything else has worked well, and I would recommend this community.

Needed a bigger room

Asbury Court was a very large and clean community that we toured. The staff was very friendly and professional and answered all of our questions. The rooms that they offered were very small in comparison to other communities we had toured. Since dad was moving from a house it would have been too big of an adjustment to move into a small room.

An ok community

The staff seem generally helpful and seem to respond when I talk to them. Mom likes the bingo and there are enough activities for my parents to do. They are going through a renovation on the main level. My parents like the breakfast and lunch, however for dinner they only offer sandwiches. I was not thrilled that the showers are not handicapped accessible. I have had to do some renovations myself to help them take care of my parents. I like the clinical director as they are positive and helpful.

A visit

This looked like a nice clean community when I visited. I liked the layout of this community. The people I met were nice. I think this community is compatible with others in the area.

Helpful, Caring Community

This is a nice community, and my mother in law is doing well since her move to this community. They have a helpful staff, and they are very caring as well. They keep her busy with the activities they have available. She is eating well, they do serve well balanced meals. Everything is working out well for us here at this community,.

wew looked into this site several years ago but decided it was way too large a facility. We liked the fact that there were doctors on site and available but just too large.

So grateful for Asbury Ct.

My mother is 96 and has lived in 3 other facilities over the past 12 years, while going from independant living to now needing a memory care home. We have had a variety of experiences - not all good - with her previous homes, and wish we had found Asbury Ct. much sooner. It is wonderful in all areas. While she is in their memory unit, it is obvious that the other level of care areas are as good for their residents. People look healthy, bright, interacting and happy where ever you are throughout the buildings. Everyone we interract with who works there seems to really love their jobs, and my mom felt at home within hours of moving in. Her care givers are wonderful and we are so grateful to have found this place with their added on local community financial support program that supplements her income. We can't say enough good.

A Nice Place To Be

It has been a nice experience here so far for my mom. The staff have been nice and helpful to us. They clean my mom's room and mentioned that Mom needed more linen. They make sure she has all that she needs and do puzzles and listen to music with her. My mom has been eating very well and I believe she likes the food. I have recommend this place to people already, it's affordable.

We were not impressed with the rooms, the activities, or the fact that she would have to move if she went to Medicaid. The people were nice.

Friendly and competent staff

My mother is really happy at Asbury Court Retirement Community. It's a good fit for her. I think everyone is very friendly and that has made it an easy transition. Everyone is competent. I would say people don't have much to worry about once a loved one is there, they take care of everything. She is also very happy with the food.

mislead on care services they provide

I was mislead about the care services they provide. They had my mom on the 5th floor which was convenient for me but not for my mom. My mother needed more care than what they provided. The people were in bad shape there and my mother is no longer there.

Good Job Asbury!

I have been in Asbury Court for two years. Housekeeping is very good, I couldn’t do without them. The laundry service does excellent job; they fold up my shirts, like I bought out of a store shelf.
People around here are friendly and carry on a nice conversation. The facility itself is clean and well-maintained.
Activities have been improved since Brea, Director of Events, came on board. We do have more events and entertainment. For example, we have outside food brought in and the staff members volunteer to be our servers.

Good Job Asbury!

There are a lot of improvements needed.

There are a lot of improvements needed. Mom isn't happy there. There is Asbury and then Best Care Service for the care. Best Care does a pretty good job, but there was one time when they did make an error with medication once due to a miscommuncation, and that's pretty important. As far as Asbury itself, their food is pretty terrible, it's not even the quality, but sometimes they will run out of food, and they will only get a hot dog. They focus on lunch more than dinner, and so for dinner they get something like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which doesn't seem very nutritious to me. There are management issues. They said there is no smoking, but I always smell smoke in the hallways. The housekeeping is fine I haven't had any complaints about that. She has made some friends, so it's friendly enough. It has more of a worn out feeling to the building, than some of the new ones. They have a weekly bus that takes them on trips, the onsite activities are pretty typical like bingo. One of the things you don't find out until it's almost too late, is that there is a non-refundable community deposit, that's about the same as one months rent.

Looks great on the surface but not so much

I have parents that are at Asbury Court. At first it seemed like a really great place. A place where we felt mom and dad would be well taken care of and we wouldn't have to worry about them. This is what is called an independent living community and not an assisted living community. There is a difference and if you are considering Asbury Court you should know the difference.
If I only had to rate the Asbury Court staff and the facility itself I would rated it all excellent, however there is another part to Asbury Court called "Best Care Services" which is the nursing staff there. Unfortunately the nursing staff lacks quite a bit. My mom has Parkinson's disease and the nurse attending to her doesn't seem to know what this disease is about. The attending nurse to my mom is unfriendly and a bit of a complainer. Did I say "a bit" of a complainer. That's incorrect! She is a complainer. After a few encounters with her both by phone in person we spoke with the nurse in charge who seems to feel it's best to tell the family what she thinks they want to hear rather then the truth of how things are. This makes for a bad situation considerably worse. The family doesn't seem to be allowed any voice with it comes to their family members care. The straw that has broken the camels back was when a nurse of Best Care Services took my mom to a doctor's appointment no one in our family could attend. This nurse went on to tell my mom's doctor that she is agitated ALL the time which was an all out lie. While my mom can have bad days where she is uncooperative she can have good days too. I have seen both with her so to say she is agitated all the time was simply not true. The doctor and nurse from doctor's office knew enough to call me and ask questions. The doctor's nurse we rather amused that this nurse claimed my mom was agitated all the time because they too have seen both sides of my mom and knew this wasn't true. Needless to say I would not recommend this place if a relative or friend needs any kind of assistance because they won't get it at Asbury Court.

My mother has been at Asbury for quite a few years the quality has suffered in the last year. The staff is Not friendly. The care is lacking. They got rid of the staff that was good to my Mom. We are looking for another place for her.

The next happiest place on earth besides Disney!

I moved my loved one into Asbury with some normal fears that disappeared very quickly after I saw how wonderful this place truly is and how awesome the staff are! Asbury made her feel so welcome from day one. The place is very neat, clutter free and the lady at the front desk is so so sweet. The apartment handpicked for my relative was perfect in every way. I loved the admission process! It was so easy and the people were so helpful. I met the administrator and the nursing director immediately after my relative's arrival and let me tell you, I would trust them with anything. My relative loves how they do her laundry and I love the friendliness of the staff. It's really a beautiful and comfortable building, too. I fell in love with the outdoor gazebo sitting area. Asbury Court is just so classy. Everyone SMILES there and looks so happy. It's the BEST decision I could've made for my loved one.

My mom was a resident of Asbury Court for over eight years and throughout her time there, she was extremely well cared for. My family never worried about her and the staff genuinely cared for her as a person. During her time there, she made many friends (including staff) and her room was bright and cheery. There was always something for her to do and she always felt safe and cared for. I would not hesitate to recommend Asbury Court to anyone looking for a home for their loved one.

Strongly Recommen

The admitting staff is great to work with. My mother and my father-in-law both reside there. The ongoing contact with the rest of the facility people have been great as well.

Asbury Court: My Experience

Have to find another place for Mom. Best Care was not doing the cream treatments for her rash. I walked into her room the other day to see crumpled up in pain in the dark. Her rash got so bad it looked like a fire burn. Had to take her to the ER for treatment. They admitted her so that wound care specialists could treat her. When I called the administrative offices to advise them of their poor service, I was told by the administrator that they are not supposed to put on cream. That would have been nice to know 3 months ago before I moved her in. I told everyone during the interview that this was part of what she needed. She is suffering and in a lot of pain. Their director is no prize either. When it came time to move her to a different floor (one that is more restrictive, since she has dementia and would wander) he called me and threatened to evict us if we didn’t move immediately. When I told him his staff informed me that they had already moved her (for which I was paying extra for), he said,” That’s not true and would never happen.” Might as well have called me a liar. But it WAS true. Jean talks a good game to get you in the door, but after that they don’t care. I am very disappointed and angry that my mom has to suffer because even with paying the extra $1400.00 per month to do medicine, they couldn’t do their job. I wish I never trusted them. Even though my mom can be angry and mean with dementia, she was a sweetheart when she was not sick.
I would NOT recommend this place to anyone.

Smoke Odor

It did not compare favorably to the other community we toured. The main entrance had stairs which is very difficult for someone with a walker. There was a heavy smoke odor in several of the areas. They have a little shop there. It wasn't open at the time but they opened it for us and the smell of smoke just came pouring out. There was a difference in personell. The explanation of things was very brief. There were a lot of smokers standing outside and the parking lot was in terrible condition.

I had a good experience; Gene, the di...

I had a good experience; Gene, the director, was very good. Vera and Ruthie, the nurses on the 5th floor, were tremendous

[removed] I didn't get around to every floor, but it seemed very good.

[removed] Everyone there was great to me. My sister is there now and - let's put it this way; she's coping with it.

I was going around about 7, 8 places and I picked Asbury Court.

[removed] There's BINGO, and card games.. I wasn't there THAT long, but they seem pretty good.

My sister and I like this p...

My sister and I like this place very much. Dawn Ashpole has been very nice and helpful. The problem we're having is getting all the information she needs to file for Medicaid. At this moment it is moving very slowly and it is very frustrating.

Didn't like that they allow...

Didn't like that they allow smoking in the rooms. Not much of a view from the rooms. Strange odor in the hall.

Established in 1995, Asbury Court Retirement Community is a member of Des Plaines Chamber of Commerce and a Corporate Sponsor of Des Plaines Senior Center. Winner of the 2001 Community Enhancement Award, Asbury Court is an affordable independent and supervised retirement home. It is highlighted by its spacious open areas and community room which hosts a large variety of exciting activities. Whether you choose to relax in our garden room, watch a movie in our new home theater, stroll through the courtyard, our spend quiet time reading in the library you are surrounded by elegant living accommodations. Asbury Court allows you to maintain an independent lifestyle, free from worries of taking care of your own home. Our staff are caring professionals who are here to meet your changing needs. We designed Asbury Court to include all the day-to-day conveniences and amenities a premier neighborhood community would offer.

The assurance of emergency protection...

Your safety is a primary concern, so Asbury Court offers special ways to help you alert us in an emergency. Every room equipped with an emergency pull cord, video security throughout the community and guest and resident sign-in.

Plus all the benefits of Asbury living...

Of course, you're always welcome to participate in any of the activities and events available at Asbury. Your individual needs will be addressed, as well. You'll find a variety of specialized activities and exercise programs designed for people with varying degrees of energy and mobility.

Asbury Court has established a reputation as one of Chicagoland's premier senior communities.