Aljoya Thornton Place - Seattle, WA

A superb home and outstanding care

Aljoya has been a wonderfully warm and welcoming community for not only my mother, who suffers from dementia and even at the beginning of her residency could not remember people’s names and how to get from one place to another, but also for us, her family.

As an only child I was concerned about my mother continuing to live by herself. I knew that, although I was with her frequently and doing things with her, I could not possibly give her the care and activities I knew she would need.

Mom and I had visited other retirement communities and mom was very adamant that she did not like their environments or décor. For my own part, I wasn't very encouraged about either what we'd seen or by my mother's reaction.

One day, after our weekly routine of shopping at Northgate, mom suggested we visit Aljoya. We made an appointment and the moment we walked in mom smiled, breathed in the aroma of the espresso in the Bistro and said “This is it!” She was of course very impressed by the elegance in the décor and the bright warm colors. (She often complained that most of the other facilities were depressing in colors etc.)

What impressed me the most were the employees. To this day, 2 ½ years later, the employees are the most amazing group of people of all ages who always have a smile, who greet everyone by name and enthusiastically always try to do something to help residents and visiting family members.

The Wellness center, headed by Annie Atienza R.N., who is our number one “Angel,” as my mother calls her, and all of her staff have become an extension of our family. They monitor mother daily and all of her vitals and are sure not only to watch over medical needs but also her psychological and emotional needs.

It is clear that Eli and Rebecca Almo and their amazing son, Jacob, have approached the creation of their facility as though they were creating a home for one of their own family members. They have not overlooked a single detail, from the outstanding staff that they hire and train to the smallest details of fresh flowers on the dining room tables to bowls of fresh fruit available to the residents as they wander throughout the complex.

The Almos are an extremely caring family, who are concerned about their residents from the day they walk in to the days that follow as some residents become more frail or ill. They have been a huge and very responsive support system to my family. I truly do not know what I would do or where I would have been able to turn in these recent months as my mother has continued to decline.

At Aljoya the Almos have created a positive caring community. From those who work there to the other residents who live there, Aljoya has provided a welcoming neighborhood that surrounds my mother with life, love and caring. In many respects, giving up living "on her own" in her later years has been a gain and a blessing, not an ever increasing struggle. It has in fact brought her new comforts, new security and a new environment of great beauty.

Because of Aljoya, the staff and the Almos my mother will be able to live her last days in a warm and friendly atmosphere with exceptional nursing care and surrounded by her own personal possessions and family by her side. We can’t thank everyone enough for all that they do every day and what they have done these past 2 ½ years.

The absolute best place for my Mom

The place is the finest I visited and am overjoyed to be able to have my mother be able to live there. It is designed like a fancy hotel. Large wide corridors, lots of marble, art work on walls etc. The dining room is white cloth napkin type like an upscale restaurant. Large and varied menu. Large well stocked library with fireplace. Huge meeting rooms, theater, art room, business office with computers. Game room, video golf room too. The apartments have full size kitchens with full size appliances. Every other place I saw had small appliances if any. Only drawback is some units have not the best views. Overlooking apartments across the street.

The staff is VERY accommodating. Very friendly without being cloying. Handled all setup and moving problems with speed and patience. Very professional. The safety features in place are excellent but not intrusive.
The economics for living there are different than every other place I visited. By placing monies up front we easily saved well over a thousand dollars a month in costs. Definitely worth looking into. Do not be intimidated by the unusual financing options.

Very contemporary place, the resident...

Very contemporary place, the residents are very happy to be there. Excellent staff, very service oriented and friendly. I didn't like the dark appliances in the kitchens. Swimming pool great.

TOP CHOICE. Very Urban/Modern - just ...

TOP CHOICE. Very Urban/Modern - just what dad would love! Lots of access to outside activities!

Very nice - my parents felt out of pl...

Very nice - my parents felt out of place - too nice for their comfort level

I liked it and am planning to go for ...

I liked it and am planning to go for lunch or dinner soon.

Welcome to Aljoya Thornton Place, an Era Living community. Aljoya offers a warm, vibrant lifestyle, a vast array of amenities, rich programming, and exceptional Independent Living, Assisted Living, and wellness nursing services.

Just steps from shops, restaurants, theaters, and more, Aljoya Thornton Place offers the perfect blend of village charm and contemporary lifestyle. Aljoya has 142 upscale residences, ranging from 540 to 1,450 square-feet.

Residents of Aljoya experience a maintenance-free lifestyle, including a full service restaurant with chef-prepared selections, on-site Wellness Center staffed by a Registered Nurse, weekly housekeeping and linen services, scheduled transportation and professionally maintained common areas and gardens.

Residents enjoy choosing from nearly 200 Life Enrichment events each month, including regular outings to the symphony and other cultural events, a variety of fitness, aquatic, and health classes, lectures, garden parties, chef demos, wine and jazz concerts, professionally curated art galas, and much more. Residents find that there are endless opportunities to pursue their passions, mingle with good friends, or simply sit back and enjoy the ambiance.

Era Living, a respected and recognized leader in retirement living throughout the Puget Sound, is a private, Seattle-based company founded by Eli and Rebecca Almo. Since 1987, Era Living has been dedicated to fostering a healthy and engaging environment of whole body wellness, culture, warmth and social fulfillment, providing exceptional healthcare services and enriching activities at all eight communities. Era Living's Wellness and Active Aging Programs are developed in collaboration with the University of Washington School of Nursing - one of the nation's top-rated nursing schools. It's this type of innovative and vibrant approach to senior living that makes Era Living communities so desirable.