Windward Palms - Boynton Beach, FL

Old, short staffed, awful food & service

My 84 year old mother took it upon herself to sign a 6 month lease in this horrific place. She moved in there on [date removed], and within days, she was crying and asking me to come get her.

The facility and her apartment is a old and dingy, there aren’t very many people living there. They are extremely short staffed. The other day, they made her wait an hour to take her order for a sandwich.

She had only been there 1 week when she informed [name removed], the General Manager that she was probably moving out. Yesterday, [date removed], I notified [name removed] that my sister that lives about a mile from there will be moving to Arizona. Therefore, my mother won’t have any family in the area and for that reason, and the fact that she is miserable there and complains that the food is awful, I have to move her closer to where I live and work. He said he didn’t care, and said she will be held responsible for paying all 6 months of the lease.

Her last day there will be this Friday, [date removed], 2 weeks after after her move-in date. He was very rude and disrespectful when my mother asked him to email a copy of HER lease to me and her attorney. He refused, and demanded to see my power of attorney before he would email anything. IT’S HER LEASE AND HE REFUSED TO EMAIL IT FOR HER. She is like a hostage there. She can’t even get to her physical therapy appointments because she has to give them 3 days notice to get a ride there.

Please do let your loved one move in there. You, and they will regret it.

Holiday Marketing

Hi Cindy, we work hard to provide a fantastic experience to everyone. It's discouraging to see that you had a negative experience. Your feedback has been forwarded to the community and district management teams for review. The General Manager, Richard, followed up and will be reaching out to your mother soon. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide information to loved ones without an authorized power of attorney or written consent from the resident. We would like to help you and your family with this situation and will be in contact to discuss options. We hope we can come to a resolution together.

Did Not Have To Tour Any Other Communities

My sister is doing really good since moving here no comparison to the other place she had been at. She is very active making friends and doing the activities. The food is way better than what she had prior to where she was. The staff is so friendly and nice here very helpful if needed. I would recommend this community.

Not a good first impression after phones not working. Once we got there nobody attending front reception. Had to knock on the door to get attention. Tour was fair. Felt like questions were answered more than information offered. Friendly people. We were not offered a meal or a chance to schedule for one as dining was closed when we were there. They were double or triple booked for tours so we finished feeling the pressure of people waiting. only saw about 3 or 4 people that lived there. They were very positive about living there.

Father is Comfortable Here

I'am pleased with my fathers move to this community. He is comfortable, and in good hands. They keep the facility very clean, everything looks great when I visit. The meals are nice, and they have a good variety to choose from. The staff is super friendly. This community is working out well for us, and I would recommend it.

Really Nice Facility

Very good tour of this community

Met with [Removed]; very nice person. This would be a fairly close location to where I live. The grounds are very well kept and the interiors seemed nice and clean. The one bedroom I looked at was spacious with a nice view. They are replacing balcony rails currently. I would want to double back once I've narrowed down my choices so I could see more and also check out the food.

Comfort for mom!

My mother is doing well. She had a bit of an adjustment period at first. They do not have reserved seats in the dining room so there was a lot of " you can't sit here" scenarios going on at first, but she has now made friends. The facility is beautiful. She likes her apartment and everything is maintained very well.

First of all this is an Independent living facility and not an assisted living facility that we are looking for. It is a very nice facility, but the management was not on time, and they were told twice that I was waiting, before they came out to greet me. I'm sure that this would be a nice place to stay, but just not what we are looking for.

Informative Staff!!

The staff was very informative during our tour and gave us a lot of detailed information about the community. The building was well maintained and kept very clean. I have no complaints and would recommend this facility.

Not What We Were Looking For

I had a good tour of this community. It was a good experience. Unfortunately it wasn't what we were looking for. The rooms they showed me were smaller than we would like. Also their rates were a bit expensive for our budget. It was a decent tour, but not the place for father.

My Parents Are Happy Here

My parents are doing very well here at this community. They really like it here, and I'am pleased. It is a lovely community, they do a very good job with making sure everything is nice and clean. They have a very nice staff here. There are activities available, they've tired the water aerobics. They are happy here. It is a community I would recommend.

LOVE Windward Palms

I have a loved one at Windward Palms, and they LOVE it. They may not be perfect, but the staff is friendly and truly cares about each resident. They keep the community clean, and fresh. The dining area is also the social hub of the community. The meals, from start to finish, are completed within an hour. I have had numerous meals there, and the food was consistent with what my father used to make.

never again

Windward palm is not a place I would recommend anyone to send their love ones there. All the good people who were at windward,they let go and the new mangers are [Removed]

Holiday Retirement

Hello, my name is Katie, and I work at Holiday Retirement Home Office. First, I'm sorry to hear your impressions of Windward Palms. We do, however, sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. As I'm sure you saw with the managers there before, we invest a great deal of time and resources in finding the right people people with a tremendous amount of talent and experience. If you have specific complaints against the management team in place, we strongly encourage you to reach out to our Employee Relations team at [removed] and provide them with as much detail as possible so they can further investigate and provide resolution.Thank you!

No stove or oven, no vitality. No open dining and few menu options.

Holiday Retirement

Hello and thank you for your feedback! We are sorry to hear our community did not meet your expectations, but appreciate you providing your feedback and sharing it with us. Did you get the chance to visit the kitchen we have just for residents? Although we don't provide oven-stovetops in each of our rooms, many our residents enjoy this feature, and even find it a great way to make new friends and learn new recipes! At any rate, we appreciate you taking the time to visit and providing us your feedback.

Very Good Staff Here

I am doing fine with this community. There are a few people that aren't very nice. I try to be friendly to everybody. I am still adjusting to the community. There are nice people here. The staff is very good and they are very helpful. There are many activities for me to choose from. The food is pretty nice. This community was a good choice.

I am Doing Well

I am doing very well here at this community. Everyone is very nice and helpful. I love my rooms and the community is very nice looking. The staff is sweet and they are very responsive when I need them. I enjoy bingo and the sing a longs, there is many activities offered here. The food is nice, they have well balanced meals. I love it here and everyone is great. So I would recommend this community.

Beautiful Facility with tons of activities available.

Review of Windward Palms - Boynton Beach, FL

Very nice conversation and this is on our list IF we can not find something more central for all siblings

I Love This Place

I love it here at Windward Palms, but my wife does get homesick and it is taking some time for her to adjust with everything. This place is great I am enjoying the heck outta of it. The people here are excellent and very friendly to us. Food is excellent and we sit with friends and have nice talks with them. This community is a pleasant community, the apartment we have is great. The only downside is we don't have a oven and my wife misses cooking, but there is a community kitchen. Overall this a pleasant community with nice caring people, and I would recommend it.

At first glance, I liked it. Bright and engaging atmosphere....residents seemed busy and involved. Beautiful parklike grounds for walking. However this facility is not accredited, and their rates fluctuate with “supply and demand”.....what???

Excellent adventure

I would have to say that this experience here at Windward Palms has been amazing. I cannot think of a bad thing to say about this.

Safety

I feel safe knowing that my family is here. I love the feel that this place has to it. Very safe feel to it.

Nothing but good things to say

Mitch and Joanne are excellent. They are the directors of the community, and take a keen interest in every resident. The community is relatively small, yet has very good activities available, along with 3 meals a day, housekeeping, etc. The hallways are wide and inviting. The apartments are clean and well maintained. Dad is 89 years old, has a lot of trouble getting around, and seems to be enjoying his new home. So we have nothing but good things to say about Windward Palms.

A lovely place

I looked at several locations for my very special dad who is 92
Windward Palms and the wonderful management are all special folks.
They are all kind and understanding. When you walk in its feels like a hotel not a nursing home or old age facility. I recommend you take a look at Windward Palms before you make a final decision

Very professional and courteous. I have driven by this community many times and looks like a beautiful place. This is a place I would want my grandmother to be.

mostly happy

I mostly happy with Windward Palms. The only thing that we hear anything about is that the food is not good. Mom says the residents do like it at all. I personally am very happy. The place is very nice. The staff there is fabulous, they are extremely friendly. The grounds are beautiful. Mom is happy as a clam. They take mom to the doctor which is helpful. On the weekends there is not much going on but most of the time she is pretty busy. Mom is an active person and does seem to get bored on the weekends. Overall we are very happy with things here.

A Good Living Community

We are very pleased with the services and care provided thus far. There is one obstacle that we are tying to overcome regarding the forms for VA for Veterans Spousal Pension. Windward will only provide their "in house" form outlining the care they provide & will not complete the simpler form requested by the VA. This has caused a delay in processing and if not resolved would create a need for us to move my mom elsewhere due to costs if the forms cannot be submitted to VA using what Windward has provided. It seems like a simple request but it has been refused on two occasions. (Once with daughter of resident and once with VA benefits coordinator assigned to the case)

Overall I'm quite Happy.

Very good so far. There were a few things that disappointed. I felt that they would have seen her a little bit more. I know they are a Independent living community but it is small and she has Dementia. A little less helpful than I though it would have been. I am quite Happy overall with everything else. Worth the value

Only 1 elevator!

Plus: Pleasant looking facility. The rooms are spacey enough. We saw both a 1 BR and a studio deluxe. Nice terraces, the larger apt had a bigger terrace than the studio. The place is 1/8 mile from a Publix and Walgreen.

Utilities and cable are included in the rent. Washing machines/dryers are available in the halls in the evenings and all day Sat and Sun. During weekdays you can tip the servers/cleaning/maintenance person and have her do your laundry for you.

Property is surrounded by trees and grass making for a bucolic atmosphere. Nice for taking walks. There is a small pool, but few residents use it. There are no pool activities such as water aerobics or lunch around the pool. It would be nice if they had that.

There are no assisted living services, but you people with physical or memory problems may hire their own aids. Resident told me an outside physical therapist comes by a few times a week, covered by Medicare. There is also an LPN in house, with services for a fee or covered by Medicare.

Lots of residents have dogs or cats, which are welcome.

Negative: Only 1 elevator!! I think that one thing alone is a deal breaker. If a fire breaks out, how will they get all those seniors out, especially those with walkers and wheelchairs? I asked a resident about fire drills or practice evacuations or even some published protocols for emergencies. They told they were none of those things.

The food was only so-so. We tried lunch, which is the main meal of the day. The severs were not that friendly and sort of treated the folks at my table like they were children. Meals are served at precise times, just like elementary school, if you are late, you are naughty and get reprimanded. You also miss the first course (rolls/butter, fruit cup, tiny salad).

Activities were limited. Lunch is the main social activity, along with bingo and word games. At the time of our visit, due to staff reductions, some activities had been curtailed for the time. They do have at least 2 off-the-promises activities each month, such as lunch at a restaurant, shopping trip, local sites. I heard they had a casino trip. 1 or 2 afternoons a week they have a local singer or college kid come in and sing during the afternoon nap time in the lobby, under the atrium.

Dining room set-up is poor. They only have 4-person tables. The shape of the tables makes it impractical to push 2 tables together. If you have a guest or more than 4 people want to sit together, it can't be done. By the way, you can bring a guest to eat for $10.

They have a bus/van to take residents to local doctors, shopping, etc. but I was told that when the bus broke down, there was no alternative so doctor, shopping and of-site activities were canceled for a while.

No central a/c so whichever room has the a/c unit is cool, the other room is hot. They told me they could put a ceiling fan in the warmer room. Hallways also have separate units, not central.

I'm told that management staff turnaround is high.

Prices are only slightly above other senior residences but, all things considered, it looks like less value than other similarly priced residences.

Loved It!

I loved the presentation that they gave to us, but I really just liked the whole place. It was absolutely gorgeous, and the especially rooms were beautiful. There is nothing bad to say about them. We ended up choosing somewhere else because of the price, though. I think Windward Palms was $3600 for an efficiency studio.

does not have central air c...

does not have central air conditioning nor washer/dryer in apt. Not interested.

Food was fair. Apt.is very ...

Food was fair. Apt.is very small. Only plus is the V.A.benefit if M would qualify. That could be used elsewhere.

Liked the halls were large an...

Liked the halls were large and they connected to the main lobby. easy to find your way around. The larger 1 bedroom had more room. Plus they would pack and move my Mom's furniture, because she is local.

My mom and dad went and toured winwar...

My mom and dad went and toured winward palms, also attended a vets benefits seminar there. they liked it well enough.

Nestled within beautiful grounds in the charming community of Boynton Beach, you’ll love our elegant facilities and the convenience of being so close to all the things that make life rich. We’re just minutes from shopping, healthcare, dining, golf and Florida’s beaches.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind