Serenity House Assisted Living Portland Drive - Littleton, CO

Extremely Fabulous Experience

It has been an extremely fabulous experience. I feel like a lot of weight is lifted from my shoulders because I know my mom is in good care. It's just a really good place. I had a bad experience with her last place and Serenity House is nothing like that. I have a lot of peace of mind and I'm glad she is there.

Michael Zislis

Thank you so much for providing your review. We are happy to provide assisted living services for your mother.

Mike Zislis

They did a fine job while we were there.

They did a fine job while we were there. There were no concerns over the staff or the cleanliness or anything else. We had hospice there, and our stay wasn't very long, but the community was fine, we didn't have any issues.

Michael Zislis

Thank you for providing your review. Best wishes.

Mike Zislis

My happy 100-year-old mother

My 100-year-old mother has lived in the Serenity House on Portland Drive for almost a year. She receives individualized attention to all aspects of her life. For example, her medications are regularly and accurately dispensed according to her doctor's orders, her nutritional needs are met appetizingly and there are friendly and compassionate people with whom to socialize. Her personal needs are met with warmth, care and tenderness. Her bedding is changed and laundry is washed at regular intervals or when there is a need. There are regular in and out-of-house activities that are fun and lively. The 24-hour on-scene house managers are qualified to quickly evaluate urgent medical situations and determine the best way to address them. And they have the same care, patience and concern for all the residents. The managers are like family. There is open communication with them and, if there is one, every question is answered satisfactorily. The house is clean and welcoming. There is no better place for my mother.

Michael Zislis

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. It is an honor and privilege that you have allowed us to provide assisted living care for your mother.

I will write this review but do not w...

I will write this review but do not want my name attached. First of all, my mother is 95 years old and has many serious issues so she requires a lot of extra attention. She is at the Serenity House located at 5286 W Portland Dr., Littleton, Co. I am not familiar with any of the other locations. She is heavily medicated so does not participate in any of the activities the caregivers plan for the residents. The monthly rent is $4,200 which I think is too high.
There are seven or eight residents at this location. The bathroom situation is less than ideal -- I understand there are three bathrooms but only two are functional. (This is what my mother has told me, I do not know first-hand.) The third bathroom does not work but I don't know the reason. The bathroom my mother uses is only for the women and often times my mother has to wait to get into it -- especially in the evening when she is getting ready for bed -- she often messes herself because she could not wait for the person(s) in there to finish.
The caregivers have a heavy accent (Asian) and hard for my mother to understand what they say to her. Visa versa -- they often do not understand her; so a lot of time she goes without their help.
The caregivers are very good to her but will only do extra care for her from doctor's orders, i.e., help her with support stockings and getting dressed. They also prepare Asian food, which is good food, but my mother isn't used to the vegetables and spices they use. They do the best they can on the budget allowed for food.
Since my mother is heavily medicated she sleeps during the day and often complains about the noise in the rest of the house. I do not think it is excessive, but the noise often keeps her awake during the day.
That is all I have to say for now. Thank you.

Michael Zislis

Dear Family Member, Thank you so much for providing your review. I wanted to first let you know that we welcome all feedback and that we want you to feel comfortable calling us any time to discuss any issues or to make any requests. We are licensed for 8 residents and as such we have identified the 95 year old female who's monthly rent is $4,200, so we are able to address the issues in a concrete fashion.
Medications are prescribed by her physician. Due to her chronic neuralgic pain, she is taking strong pain meds. She has reported that her pain has increased and as a result, she has requested her physician to increase her pain medications. These medications can cause drowsiness and can subsequently reduce her interest in social activities. She feels that these medications are needed and does not want to reduce them. We will be in touch to suggest that you discuss the issue with the resident and her physician.
There are 4 bathrooms for the 8 residents. They are all functional. The resident reported during an interview today that on occasion, she walks to the bathroom closest to her bedroom and it is occupied. We have instructed her to press her call button so staff can walk her to one of the other bathrooms as she is visually impaired and is confused as to their location. We will monitor this.
The resident prefers to be as independent as possible. She stated today that she gets the help she needs. In spite of this report, we have instructed staff to now verbally check in with her every 2 hours to see if they can be of any assistance. We have reminded staff to speak slowly and to insure that the resident understands what is being said. The resident states that she likes the food and has no special requests. When asked if the home is noisy, she said no. Staff assist residents as necessary with all activities of daily living. We do not require special orders to assist in this way. Our staff routinely assist all residents with support stockings and continue to assist this resident with her support stockings. We routinely assist residents with dressing. This resident denies the need for assistance in dressing. We will monitor this. We will reach out to you and encourage a team meeting with the resident the next time you are in town in order to achieve a better consensus. Thanks again for allowing us to provide care for your family member.

Serenity House Assisted Living, winner of the State Health Department “Best Practice” award is one of the largest residential care home providers in Colorado. With 16 homes in the Denver metropolitan area, Englewood, Centennial, Lakewood, and Littleton, Serenity House is in the unique position of being able to offer its residents the best of all worlds----a small, intimate residential living environment along with the policies, procedures, structure and stability that come with having 120+ total beds.

Serenity House, which has been in business since 1998, is operated by Michael Zislis, PT, a licensed physical therapist with over 30 years of experience in rehabilitation. Serenity House has the full spectrum of assisted living services available, including assistance with mobility, medications, incontinence management, personal hygiene, meals, laundry, housekeeping and hair care services. All of the homes are wheelchair accessible and have on-call in house physician and nursing services.

Serenity House is uniquely positioned to provide its residents with a variety of activities that are designed to be enjoyable as well as to enhance independence. Our award winning Activity Director and her staff organize both in-home activities and community outings in the Company’s new fully accessible 15 passenger bus. Each of the homes has a computer station with internet connectivity, a vegetable/flower garden and large screen HDTVs with gaming systems for the enjoyment of our residents.
Inquire now and become a member of the Serenity House extended family.