Walnut Place - Dallas, TX

Walnut Place has earned a reputation for excellence in senior living for 35 years—from its fierce dedication to every resident to its committed staff and management team to its desirable location directly across the street from Presbyterian Hospital.Rehabilitative care services are available when an additional step between a hospital stay and return to home is necessary. If a long-term solution is required, Walnut Place offers assisted living, memory care, and multiple levels of skilled nursing care. Short-term respite care and support groups are available, too.

Walnut Place Review

This is a quiet nice looking place for a loved one. The nursing staff and doctor are attentive and friendly. Beware of the billing/business office. Be sure o double check your loved ones bills and make sure everything adds up.

Poor dementia care and attention to acute medical needs

My mother lived at Walnut Place for a year and four months before passing away in April. Her care and attention to her obvious health problems before having to be transferred to the hospital were severely lacking. The wait for a doctor to see her to recommend she be transferred to the hospital took five hours. My mother passed away two days after reaching the hospital. I could have forgiven the slow response, but after she passed, I never heard another word from anyone at Walnut Place. No phone call, no condolences or even a sorry for your loss. It was as if my mom had never even been there. It hurt me so much that I called the administrator to voice my concerns and even after that, I never heard another word from Walnut Place. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone looking for a place for their loved ones.

Don't go here, do your research first!

The hospitalist recommended this place to me. I had my mother here in assisted living for a few months and it was the worst experience ever. I couldn't get her out fast enough but I didn't know where to take her. I finally found a place and mom has been at the new place for several months and it is a completely different experience.

Excellent Senior Care

We are very satisfied with my Mom's experience at Walnut Place. She has lived there for almost a year, is very happy and has made several good friends. The staff is compassionate and efficient. Excellent place.

She really loved it there.

We came here for rehab. She really loved it there. We would have loved to stay, but they are private pay or insurance only. They don't take medicaid or V.A. assistance. Really nice place though.

They don't handle dementia very well.

We started out on the rehab floor, and they are just not trained for dementia. If you have dementia don't go there. They told me we are rehab people, and they don't "trick their residents". They had a caregiver that was not knowledgeable at all, and had no idea what my mom was there for, they never addressed these concerns. We were in the skilled nursing dementia unit, she was in between stages, and was not a good candidate for the assisted living dementia side. We spoke to the director of the floor, there were a lot of excuses, as to why things were the way they were on the skilled side. They hired an activities director, and she had no training with seniors at all. My problem wasn't the care it was the environment, some of the people there had some dementia training, and were very good. It was extremely depressing. Some of the residents would need 4 attendants to care for them, and it's not fair to the other residents. I just don't think that area was handled well. They have redone the independent and assisted living, but I didn't get to see the area where we were going to be, and it wasn't the same at all.

Looked fine, but seemed mor...

Looked fine, but seemed more geared to assisted living rather than memory care. Fairly small facility and outdoor area. Staff and general condition appeared very nice, and felt comfortable to be there.

Sad Days, but Service with a Smile

Mom didn't want change, but that's what she was forced to deal with. The doctors were talking hospice, but she insisted on rehab. Things went very well as long as she was actually able to participate in rehab, but when things did not go well for her medically, things came to a grinding halt and the nurses were left holding the bag. They realized we had problems, but their hands were tied until they had the doctor's input.

I felt the on-staff doctor really dropped the ball and did not provide support or the counsel we needed as we transitioned to hospice. I'm sorry our crisis happened on a Friday afternoon, but that sort of thing can't be worked into a schedule of convenience. I particularly resent that I was summoned to the facility for a one o'clock meeting that did not happen until four, especially when my mother was suffering so much.

The crisis had actually begun the night before. My mother had been fighting nausea for several days, but they called me in the middle of the night because she became so sick. I went to sit with her until she was prescribed a medication that eased her enough to sleep. I went home to get some sleep myself and while I was still having coffee, they called me and told me to come back, because the doctor wanted to see me around one. I returned immediately, but the doctor didn't come for several hours after the promised time.

Thankfully, we had an exceptionally good relationship with my mother's personal physician and were able to fill the gap that way, but we were unwilling to dump my mother on the emergency room when there was nothing emergency services could offer her. It was apparent that the staff physician did not approve of our choice, so we were on our own. Several of her comments bordered on callousness and we didn't need that with the difficult decision we were faced with. Because it took her until five o'clock to give us her analysis, it was after five before I called hospice and my mother did not get any relief until almost nine pm. Had I not already done the paperwork "just in case", it might have been the next day.

The next three days were very difficult. Hospice sent round the clock nurses and the floor nurses were very kind and helpful, but we stuck out like a sore thumb, because we weren't on the "right floor." The floor we were on was not staffed or equipped to deal with our situation and we were reminded almost hourly that we were on a "recovery floor, not a nursing floor." I felt like we were totally in the way, but since the social worker wasn't there on weekends, that's where we had to stay.

Monday we were assigned a new room and were told we'd be moving Tuesday morning, but Tuesday's staff was completely out of the loop. Please understand that I was not eager to move my mother in her frail condition, but the 72 hour round the clock hospice care was over and I needed more help than I was getting on the recovery floor. I finally had to get downright mean to make the move happen, but at least when we got to the "right" floor, we started getting help that matched mother's condition.

I'd like to emphasize that I am not complaining about the quality of nursing we received. The nurses and aides were stellar, but their hands were tied by management and the on-staff physician. Our discomfort and frustration falls completely in their lap. I'd like to say that ours was an exception to the rule, but I know of another similar situation that happened recently, so this is some systemic flaw.

Once we made it to the "right" floor, things changed dramatically for the better. The last few days of my mother's life are marked by the excellent care and attention she received. And not just her, me too. The nurses on the floor took me under their wing and did everything they could to make a difficult time as easy and pampered for me as they could.

The recovery floor did an excellent job offering a place to recover and my mother loved the food. The nursing floor did an excellent job of caring for my mother and myself. The three days in-between were an awful experience that I hope no one else has to suffer.